ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching hires

I agree I think Pope knows his strengths and weaknesses and he couldn’t have addressed those any better than hitting the youngish guys he did with great connections. Still no official word on the Baylor assistant yet?

Reactions: NociHTTP and KFuqua
The hires are good, and 2 - 3 years ago they would be great. However, now it's all about how big that NIL check is comparatively. Anyone can be a great recruiter with a big enough NIL fund at their disposal.

The hires are good, and 2 - 3 years ago they would be great. However, now it's all about how big that NIL check is comparatively. Anyone can be a great recruiter with a big enough NIL fund at their disposal.
If NIL is fairly even among several schools looking at same recruit then I like our chances better with this staff and what they bring to the table. They could still be the difference maker in such a situation so I'm very happy with them.

If NIL is fairly even among several schools looking at same recruit then I like our chances better with this staff and what they bring to the table. They could still be the difference maker in such a situation so I'm very happy with them.
That'sa nice thought but 9/10 times they are going to the highest bidder.

That'sa nice thought but 9/10 times they are going to the highest bidder.
That's why I stated in my post if the case was where the NIL was pretty even among all schools involved, the coaches could then be the difference. Even, or not much difference, NIL AFTER the bidding process is what I meant.

That's why I stated in my post if the case was where the NIL was pretty even among all schools involved, the coaches could then be the difference. Even, or not much difference, NIL AFTER the bidding process is what I meant.
They will still go to whoever bids the highest. It's simple economics. They aren't all going to offer the same amount. If school A offers 400,000, but school B offers 420,000, school B is going to get the player almost everytime. The coaching only matters in that they can get the deal done.

They will still go to whoever bids the highest. It's simple economics. They aren't all going to offer the same amount. If school A offers 400,000, but school B offers 420,000, school B is going to get the player almost everytime. The coaching only matters in that they can get the deal done.
I disagree. NIL bidding wars will matter when there is a large difference between the 2 (what defines a large difference is up to each individual). If one school is offering $400k and another is offering $500k, I could see that NIL offer being the difference. In a situation where the offers are relatively close (like your example), schools like UK, Duke, Kansas, etc offer things worth well over $20k such as exposure and the ability to play on the biggest stage in the country. In a situation where UK and Duke are going head to head, I still don't think that $20k will be as big of an influence as things like facilities, style of play, or relationships with the coaching staff.

Sorry, disagree with what you say about such a small difference. Coaching, exposure, style of play, fan base, facilities, etc. more than make up for such small differences. Just how I see it and you look at just the $'s. Maybe you're right but also maybe not.

Sorry, disagree with what you say about such a small difference. Coaching, exposure, style of play, fan base, facilities, etc. more than make up for such small differences. Just how I see it and you look at just the $'s. Maybe you're right but also maybe not.

I think it depends whether the individual is more focused on the short or long return (trees vs the forest)...

For a player that has NBA potential...
If school A vs school B are offering say $400k vs $450k... a short-sighted prospect is going to school B every time. However, let's say school A has the better coaching staff (i.e. better development), better conference (i.e. better exposure), etc, a prospect may see the long-term return of higher draft potential, ability to maintain a pro career, etc as a better option and choose school A.

For a player with no NBA potential...
50K matters... a lot, but those guys better REALLY be focused on the degree offered by the school and what kind of connections/networking you may be able to develop from playing at the school. So, again... depending on what career they may be planning to do, exposure matters.

I feel the same way. Can you imagine what it would be like in a recruit's home when the high energy and knowledge of this staff walks in to tell them why they should come to Kentucky. Far different from the stagnant good old boys staff Cal had.
What I love is that the staff can actually walk into a home and tell a recruit exactly how they would fit in and best have a chance to be a star at this level and the next.

Reactions: ORCAT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT