ADVERTISEMENT

Coach O rumor?

Unless you were one of Triple C’s ‘chosen’ few he couldn’t care less about you. Everything he did was all about HIM. Biggest phony on earth. With that being a fact I don’t understand why guys like Burks and Z and Theiro (just to name a few) wouldn’t do just about anything to be part of this. Why would they either want to leave or even worse follow that fat fraud ? Can’t be upset with them but it makes no sense.
in the same boat as you...........ccc never gave him or z a fair chance. One small mistake & they were pulled. I know if a coach treated me that way, i sure wouldn't follow him for an encore performance.

Anyone seen the Coach O rumor circulating on Twitter that he will not be joining Cal in Arkansas and has expressed an interest in joining Pope's staff? I have seen it a couple times but have not seen anything posted here about it. Anyone else heard anything about it?
I'm not saying that O would do anything to sabotage Pope at the behest of Calipari, but it's one reason why you do clean house in situations like this.

I wish Coach O and his family the best.

You must not have paid attention. Antigua was the reason for Kal’s recruiting dominance. Remember how recruiting dropped off after the Towns/Booker class and then picked up again the last 2 years? Thats the exact timeframe of when Orlando left and came back.

The rest of the staff I agree. Garbage.
Last 2 years what exactly did it get us ? I agree what Coach O brought at the beginning was great but nothing was exactly the same the 2nd time around. I’m just saying cut all ties with the former coaching staff it’s time to start off brand new…

If true then that’s a massive first mistake for Pope. Hes in no position to turn down an assistant like Antigua. He needs recruiters in the absolute worst way and he’s not going to get one any better than Orlando.

I’m on the side of wanting to scrap anything Kal related but Antigua and Payne would be the two guys you jump at the chance to get. This would really piss me off if true.

Not sure everyone respects Orlando the way you do. I am also not sure there is any substance to what was seen posted by a few unknown posters on X (LOL), but no way Pope was keeping Antigua.

I'm not saying that O would do anything to sabotage Pope at the behest of Calipari, but it's one reason why you do clean house in situations like this.

I wish Coach O and his family the best.
Well, he was definitely around controversy and dishonesty at USF. Academic Fraud being one of the things that was in his program there. I'm sure Pope had a run-down on each assistant's backgrounds which factored into things.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
On one hand, i would understand Pope wanting to bring his own staff. If Mitch told him not keep Coach O that’s a different story.

• Haha
Reactions: awf
Rumor is that O is in the process of (or just built?) a house in Lex and his wife and daughter aren't too keen on moving. Wanted to stay on at UK but Pope said no. He also has little desire to follow Cal to Arkansas. Would expect him to end up at Illinois.
You are correct. He lives across the street from some family and they told me his family wants to stay in Lex. Kind of stinks for him.

Reactions: jace2012
Who says he wants a job with Pope/UK?
I don't think he does, but the rumor is that his wife (famously agreeable) does not want to leave lexington, his daughter is a UK alum who loves lexington, and Antigua has a bonus that kicks in if he stays past June 1

I wouldn't want him back. Need to let Pope get his own guys and need to rid ourselves of any thinking/methods left over from old staff. Also don't want him telling Calipari stuff

Anyone seen the Coach O rumor circulating on Twitter that he will not be joining Cal in Arkansas and has expressed an interest in joining Pope's staff? I have seen it a couple times but have not seen anything posted here about it. Anyone else heard anything about it?
My guess this is just a rumor, last I heard Cal was taking his whole staff, except Welch who took another position and was replacing Welch who was his offense guy with Brad.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I don't think he does, but the rumor is that his wife (famously agreeable) does not want to leave lexington, his daughter is a UK alum who loves lexington, and Antigua has a bonus that kicks in if he stays past June 1

I wouldn't want him back. Need to let Pope get his own guys and need to rid ourselves of any thinking/methods left over from old staff. Also don't want him telling Calipari stuff
I was referring to Ulis wanting a job with Pope/Kentucky.

Antigua's situation makes sense but is that a reason a new coach should want him? I mean how recent Cal era description can we get? I really don't want to move, I have some money coming...my wife loves it here, none of that aligns with basketball philosophy or getting to work and help the program.

Pope needs to get the best people possible but man is this just sad to see why he wants to stay as opposed to actually wanting to build the program back up to contention.

Last 2 years what exactly did it get us ? I agree what Coach O brought at the beginning was great but nothing was exactly the same the 2nd time around. I’m just saying cut all ties with the former coaching staff it’s time to start off brand new…
I understand it didn’t get us anywhere but that’s on Kal. If you put the level of players Orlando can get with a coach like Pope it would be a big upgrade and difference in what we saw.

bradyjames SPILL IT if you know something inquiring minds would like to know.
The guy can’t coach himself out of a wet paper bag. He’s not responsible with important things that he should be for the staff.

I wouldn’t bring him back for any reason.

We don’t need “5 stars” across the board. We need players who actually want to play for UK and win a title.

For the people saying that we need Antigua to be brought back for recruiting purposes.....do you all think that no one else could recruit for Kentucky? Is he the only person who can speak on Kentucky's behalf? I thought Kentucky was bigger than any coach? Is Kentucky basketball going to implode beause an assistant wasnt retained?

For those who want "continuity" from one staff to another? LOL. Are you serious? Contuinity for what? None of Cal's players are staying. (Im not counting Perry, or even Reed if he comes back, as both would play for Kentucky without Cal)

I think its time for people to trust Pope with the decisions to be made for his staff.

Most new coaches usually keep 1 or 2 coaches from previous staff.

Any examples? The last time I remember it happening here was Sutton kept Leonard Hamitlon for one year after Joe B retired. But I know Pitino didnt keep any Sutton assistants. All of Pitino's assistants went to the Celtics with him. Billy Clyde didnt keep any Tubby guys. Cal didnt keep any of Billy Clyde's guys.

Antigua sounds like a lot of people's "binky". That thing that babies suck on when they can't have mom or a bottle of formula.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Well if he did tell him no thanks that wasn't smart because he can reach the brothers and thats what we need not alot backwood slow 2-stars will not get it done
So someone like a Larry Bird wouldn't get it done. He was from the back woods and slow but one of the greatest players of all time. I'm glad you don't recruit players from high school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT