ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Coen: Speed up and spread out

Based on what?
Ryan Lemon and Danes family traveled to South Carolina to watch the game. Spoke of the great atmosphere until Ryan got the shit knocked out of him. Carolina came in a close second during his recruitment. Rumors have already started about a possible transfer.

Just a feeling. Time will tell.

Again, it doesn’t matter. We don’t base timelines on assistant coaches. Nobody keeps track of that. Assistants come and go. Coen is gone first good opportunity that comes his way.

Whose fault is it that we’ve hired many assistants that didn’t know anything? Whose fault is it that it took 11 years to find an offensive coordinator who actually has plans to help the team grow?

Don’t be fooled by the bullshit the program is feeding to keep people on board. I, along with many others have jumped off the bandwagon and ain’t getting back on.

Ok bye

Stoops said on his first radio show before this season that Scangs offense didn't even have the capability to go up tempo. Wow. He said this team had that capability, but we've not really seen it. I guess that's what you get with a defensive minded head coach. Bob Stoops was a whole lot more innovative than his brother Mark. Even with air raid coaches, it never really looked like it did at other places.
Scangarello = Scapegoat
This guy took the fall but we all know who directs him on what plays to call and overrode him time and again. Therein lies the problem with CMS. He hires capable assistants but never fully trust them to do their jobs. And after 11 years he still hasn’t figured that out. He is the one constant here that never changes.,11 seasons….6 offensive coordinators in 11 seasons…only Coen left for a better opportunity, the others were fired. I like Coen, I think he can do great things. On the flip side, on defense in 11 seasons we have had 2 coordinators. And our pass defense never improves. The 3rd and longs are backbreakers.
Somewhere along the way, he watched a game where one team controlled the LOS and won 14-7. That’s nice to do but not a winning formula for every game you play. Then he thought of slowing the game down to 50 plays. This is something you would only do if you had less talent. Offensive players hate it. That’s why you see what you see on the field this year. Now at the end of the season we hear that we are going to speed it up, play up tempo. I call bullshit on that. Football is a game of constant adjustments. Other teams watch tape on us and then eat it up when they play us. Missouri a prime example, Tennessee another one, they know we will reach a point of contentment in the game where we are satisfied with taking minutes off the clock instead of scoring. Boom here they come and before you know it, we are down 2-3 scores and it’s over. It’s basic knowledge about the game. We lost to a pitiful South Carolina team because he refused to change his way of game management. If we go into Louisville with the same mentality, we will be down 21-0 in the first quarter.

Watched quite a bit of the NFL last night. Some things I noticed: 1) play clock (40 seconds vs 35 seconds in college) starts almost immediately after the whistle sounds ending the previous play, college waits until the ball is spotted, I believe; 2) huddles in the NFL take about 5 seconds - this year, I'd bet we're averaging more like 7-10 seconds; 3) NFL teams get to the line quickly and then, maybe, there's one guy in motion fairly quickly after getting set - UK seems to half jog to the line, get set, stand up to look at the sideline, sometimes shift and then motion, i.e., more wasted seconds; 4) Center in the OL rarely takes multiple seconds to point out blocking assignments, changes in scheme, etc. - seems like Eli does this on a majority of plays, which delays the snap; 5) most plays are ready to snap at the 10 second mark which leaves time to audible to a better play, if necessary - UK is lucky to snap the ball with 2 seconds left on the play clock with no time to audible.

My takeaway: simplify the dang offense. Too many moving parts, too much to handle for the QB who can't seem to get through their reads to find the right receiver, too many blown assignments and false starts, too much confusion in general.

Watch any NFL game and you will see they run the play clock down to under 5 seconds most of the time. If we executed on offense and defense and won I don't think this would be an issue because we just want to win and I don't really think the pace of play going to determine that if we don't execute.

Watched quite a bit of the NFL last night. Some things I noticed: 1) play clock (40 seconds vs 35 seconds in college) starts almost immediately after the whistle sounds ending the previous play, college waits until the ball is spotted, I believe; 2) huddles in the NFL take about 5 seconds - this year, I'd bet we're averaging more like 7-10 seconds; 3) NFL teams get to the line quickly and then, maybe, there's one guy in motion fairly quickly after getting set - UK seems to half jog to the line, get set, stand up to look at the sideline, sometimes shift and then motion, i.e., more wasted seconds; 4) Center in the OL rarely takes multiple seconds to point out blocking assignments, changes in scheme, etc. - seems like Eli does this on a majority of plays, which delays the snap; 5) most plays are ready to snap at the 10 second mark which leaves time to audible to a better play, if necessary - UK is lucky to snap the ball with 2 seconds left on the play clock with no time to audible.

My takeaway: simplify the dang offense. Too many moving parts, too much to handle for the QB who can't seem to get through their reads to find the right receiver, too many blown assignments and false starts, too much confusion in general.

The NFL is already dealing with professionals who are the best of the best. Plus they aren't limited to 20 hours of practice time while having to juggle academic responsibilities.

If we'd just cut the shifts, it would all work just the same and much quicker

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT