ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Coen: Speed up and spread out

Jun 8, 2017
Coach was asked about next year. Paraphrasing, We are going to try to find ways to speed up the tempo, spread the field and re-establish UK Big blue wall physicality. I think they know that 55 plays a game is not conducive to winning football. I believe the bowl game will be a test or trial start to see how it looks. They know recruiting a QB with this painfully slow pace and tempo will be difficult. I have some amount of faith that the Coaches will at least try to rectify the offense. Now whether it works or is successful or even given a proper chance is a totally different discussion.

I don't know too many pro style successes without four and five star talent in CFB. The best we have been was an NFL starting QB and NFL starting WR. We have neither of those right now .

I don't know too many pro style successes without four and five star talent in CFB. The best we have been was an NFL starting QB and NFL starting WR. We have neither of those right now .
Pro style requires more playmaking and takes more nuance to learn. With us having to rely on transfer portal qb’s something has to give. But it’s also that the program is out of people to blame so they have to start getting the narrative out now for the players to keep people from bolting. We can’t blame Scangarello to keep everyone in place. As poor as our offense is under stoops he’s aware enough the last handful of years that he has to change the narrative to keep guys

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue
My immediate question would be why did they ever think it would be successful, why continue to wait to change things? To me it sounds like buzz words to hopefully do damage control and and has no real merit based off what we have seen. I hate to say that, but it doesn’t make sense. Increasing the tempo isn’t a major change, it’s just efficiency. You aren’t putting in new schemes

1. It would have been nice to figure this out before now.....but
2. It is great to hear Coen say this...and I think Coen is a very smart dude. So it's good to hear him see this and say as much.
3. Spreading the field something I was not expecting to hear. Part of the NFL/Pro style is those bunch sets. But hearing we need to spread it out....I wonder if that means he doesn't feel so confident that the Oline/QB can pick up all the DB blitzes that come from bunch sets. I think this is part of why Heupel at Tennessee does his crazy wide sets....it makes the QB job easier to see the blitz and make decisions.
4. My #1 question this....the Big Blue Wall and Physicality...I love to hear this. But does this mean inside zone and scrapping the outside run game? I have serious doubts that UK can run outside zone and be consistently able to run the ball like we used to.

I was always hoping to see if we can go back to inside zone running game and can Coen work a soild passing game with this rushing concept. Coen is a talented dude.... I hope we can stick it out with him to ride this out with Stoops

Coach was asked about next year. Paraphrasing, We are going to try to find ways to speed up the tempo, spread the field and re-establish UK Big blue wall physicality. I think they know that 55 plays a game is not conducive to winning football. I believe the bowl game will be a test or trial start to see how it looks. They know recruiting a QB with this painfully slow pace and tempo will be difficult. I have some amount of faith that the Coaches will at least try to rectify the offense. Now whether it works or is successful or even given a proper chance is a totally different discussion.
Have little faith he's okd this with the boss.

Reactions: TNTUK
Speeding up won’t matter if they don’t move the chains. Would just punt faster with a tired defense going back out.

The spread comment is more interesting. Running spread means you can theoretically play less talented QBs (fewer reads) and less talented WRs (wider splits). It can be read as an admission they won’t bank having the talent to play pro style.

At the end of the day you don’t need a pro style offense to be successful in college. And in truth it’s more harmful to the majority of college teams because the players don’t yet have the knowledge to consistently make the right decisions and/or the talent to win their battle.

Simplify things to get the ball in your playmakers hands where they can do something after the catch. Lean to the strengths of your oline instead of banging your head against the wall.

I don’t expect much change though.

They say this now to sell tickets for next year. Every preseason year there is some build up to create buzz, hope, excitement. They are jumping on it early this time, not even finishing the current year before telling us how they are going to make it better next year. Like someone above said if they didn’t realize this until last game of year, should they really be getting the money they are?

Speeding up is fine but spreading out is going in the wrong direction imo. We already can't move the chains and can't win close games because we won't run the ball. Plus this is a departure from everything coen is known for.

I get they're probably trying to get/keep some of this class together but you can't mortgage everything for one or two guys. Plus our recruiting isn't nearly strong enough to often drastically change our play style.

Just sounds like the touch sheet on steroids

I don’t understand fan fascination with the spread offense. You are looking for a gimmick - which doesn’t work.

Yes, we need formations that spread the field, but championship teams don’t run spread exclusively.

I do like the idea of pace. We do play too slow and need the ability to vary our pace.

We need to get back to inside zone run based offense with the feature power back, effective passing game like Levis junior year, and a mobile QB that scrambles and runs (this has been glaringly missing past two years due to injury Levis Sr year and lack of mobility in Leary).

It’s really not rocket science.

I dont care what kind of offense we run next year but for the love of god use more tempo in whatever offense it is. Hell we actually ran some tempo this year in the Tennessee game and that was probably our best all around game offensively. And we never saw that tempo again for whatever reason.

Maybe we could get Will Stein to come over from Oregon. I hear it rains less in Lexington.

Reactions: TNTUK
What does it freaking matter? Again, in year number 12 you mean UK football is finally gonna figure things out? Give me a break.

Do we even have a quarterback and running back who’s capable of starting in the SEC lined up for next year yet?

I know, I know, the transfer portal cause we’re not capable of developing a freshman so we have to depend on them being knowledgeable enough when they show up to campus.

Running the plays you want to is one thing. Finding the personnel to execute them is another.

Last edited:
I dont care what kind of offense we run next year but for the love of god use more tempo in whatever offense it is. Hell we actually ran some tempo this year in the Tennessee game and that was probably our best all around game offensively. And we never saw that tempo again for whatever reason.
That was the only game Leary looked comfortable in due to the tempo. Ended up with 370 yds, highly efficient stats. Then we go back to the square peg analogy.

That was the only game Leary looked comfortable in due to the tempo. Ended up with 370 yds, highly efficient stats. Then we go back to the square peg analogy.

It was the only game the wrs performed well. They caught the ball and did well after the catch.

Also iirc it was the one game we didn't have such a lopsided number of touches to one guy. That makes a huge difference too. If the guys know one guy is designated for that many touches, it cuts into their effort and focus.

What does it freaking matter? Again, in year number 12 you mean UK football is finally gonna figure things out? Give me a break.

Coen was the first OC hired by stoops that didn't run that style. Brown, Dawson, and Gran (yes him too) all ran that style and were hired for that reason. So if we go to that, it will be the 4th iteration of it tried by stoops. Far from finally figuring things out.

It didn't work. Gran pivoted based on personnel and provided a winning offense, but vocal fans found it too boring.

Reactions: Doodah859
I'm not sure that 'wide and fast' is the correct answer. The coaches should know more than I do but I'll have to see it work to believe it.

1. We've been a successful inside zone running team in the past - why not continue that?
2. Coen is (or should be) smart enough to marry an inside zone running game with a passing attack based on NFL schemes - the best of both worlds for UK? I wouldn't think the two couldn't exist in the same system. May take some work on Coen's part, but, damn, he's getting paid to be the OC, so be it.
3. Definitely need to run more plays, not necessarily hurry up, but more plays. Also, get to the line with 15 seconds and let the QB read the defense pre-snap and change the play, if necessary. Right now, we're lucky to get the original play off in time, much less audible to another one. That probably means simplifying the verbiage, minimize the shifts and motion and just get to the line and run the damn play.
4. I would be fine with an RPO derivative scheme - maybe use Oregon's offense as a pattern: can run physically but also has enough sophistication in the passing game to be a hard offense to defend. A QB who is at least a threat to pick up a few yards so that the defense has to account for him would be a bonus. The Eagles scheme in the NFL would also likely be a scheme we could pattern ourselves after.

Bottom line, I don't much care if we're grooming QBs for the NFL if we're not winning college football games. That seems to be Cal's goal (sending kids to the next level at the expense of winning games). Anthony Richardson certainly didn't run an NFL scheme and he went really high in the NFL draft. The league looks at potential, physical gifts and football IQ, not necessarily the scheme a kid ran in college. Their belief is, if a QB has all three attributes, they can teach him a system (or fit their system around the QB - see Lamar Jackson).

They say this now to sell tickets for next year. Every preseason year there is some build up to create buzz, hope, excitement. They are jumping on it early this time, not even finishing the current year before telling us how they are going to make it better next year. Like someone above said if they didn’t realize this until last game of year, should they really be getting the money they are?
I do agree the timing and all is the annual narrative building to keep current roster together because it’s so porous on that side. I’m hopeful this is the year it actually gets some modification

1. It would have been nice to figure this out before now.....but
2. It is great to hear Coen say this...and I think Coen is a very smart dude. So it's good to hear him see this and say as much.
3. Spreading the field something I was not expecting to hear. Part of the NFL/Pro style is those bunch sets. But hearing we need to spread it out....I wonder if that means he doesn't feel so confident that the Oline/QB can pick up all the DB blitzes that come from bunch sets. I think this is part of why Heupel at Tennessee does his crazy wide sets....it makes the QB job easier to see the blitz and make decisions.
4. My #1 question this....the Big Blue Wall and Physicality...I love to hear this. But does this mean inside zone and scrapping the outside run game? I have serious doubts that UK can run outside zone and be consistently able to run the ball like we used to.

I was always hoping to see if we can go back to inside zone running game and can Coen work a soild passing game with this rushing concept. Coen is a talented dude.... I hope we can stick it out with him to ride this out with Stoops
I mean he can keep the same formations but a power run game instead of the out zone scheme. I think the biggest thing is a mobile QB. Need a guy who can be a legit threat to run the ball.

Coen was the first OC hired by stoops that didn't run that style. Brown, Dawson, and Gran (yes him too) all ran that style and were hired for that reason. So if we go to that, it will be the 4th iteration of it tried by stoops. Far from finally figuring things out.

It didn't work. Gran pivoted based on personnel and provided a winning offense, but vocal fans found it too boring.
Again, it doesn’t matter. We don’t base timelines on assistant coaches. Nobody keeps track of that. Assistants come and go. Coen is gone first good opportunity that comes his way.

Whose fault is it that we’ve hired many assistants that didn’t know anything? Whose fault is it that it took 11 years to find an offensive coordinator who actually has plans to help the team grow?

Don’t be fooled by the bullshit the program is feeding to keep people on board. I, along with many others have jumped off the bandwagon and ain’t getting back on.

I'm not sure that 'wide and fast' is the correct answer. The coaches should know more than I do but I'll have to see it work to believe it.

1. We've been a successful inside zone running team in the past - why not continue that?
2. Coen is (or should be) smart enough to marry an inside zone running game with a passing attack based on NFL schemes - the best of both worlds for UK? I wouldn't think the two couldn't exist in the same system. May take some work on Coen's part, but, damn, he's getting paid to be the OC, so be it.
3. Definitely need to run more plays, not necessarily hurry up, but more plays. Also, get to the line with 15 seconds and let the QB read the defense pre-snap and change the play, if necessary. Right now, we're lucky to get the original play off in time, much less audible to another one. That probably means simplifying the verbiage, minimize the shifts and motion and just get to the line and run the damn play.
4. I would be fine with an RPO derivative scheme - maybe use Oregon's offense as a pattern: can run physically but also has enough sophistication in the passing game to be a hard offense to defend. A QB who is at least a threat to pick up a few yards so that the defense has to account for him would be a bonus. The Eagles scheme in the NFL would also likely be a scheme we could pattern ourselves after.

Bottom line, I don't much care if we're grooming QBs for the NFL if we're not winning college football games. That seems to be Cal's goal (sending kids to the next level at the expense of winning games). Anthony Richardson certainly didn't run an NFL scheme and he went really high in the NFL draft. The league looks at potential, physical gifts and football IQ, not necessarily the scheme a kid ran in college. Their belief is, if a QB has all three attributes, they can teach him a system (or fit their system around the QB - see Lamar Jackson).
Also some guy named Tim Couch.

After 11 games, I think it's fair to say Levis was more accurate than Leary even as both suffered with drops.
He also had the respect of his teammates. Not a knock on Leary but some guys present themselves a certain way. Will was the leader the day he got here. We have some crybabies on this team, particularly on offense, who want to sit around pissin and moaning instead of working as a unit to get better. Crying to Moma and daddy isn’t an option. If that’s my kid, I put my boot in his ass. This years team is a microcosm of what happens when you worry about me and not about we.

After 11 games, I think it's fair to say Levis was more accurate than Leary even as both suffered with drops.
Levis also seemed to be more of a leader type. And he could flat out make plays with his feet when necessary. Leary isn't anywhere close in terms of mobility and he doesn't seem to be the fiery, lead by example type that Levis was.

That being said, Leary didn't have the success he had at NC State by being a terrible QB. IMO, I don't think we've used Leary in a manner that takes advantage of what he does well. This is why I don't like rigid systems in college football. Because of the amount of turnover experienced in college football, coaches need to have more flexibility built into their systems to adjust for the variations in players from season to season. Hopefully Coen is recognizing this and planning accordingly. But I am also more than a little disappointed that we had to stink it up an entire season before the coaches seemed to recognize the problem. Eddie Gran seemed much more adaptable on the fly.

He also had the respect of his teammates. Not a knock on Leary but some guys present themselves a certain way. Will was the leader the day he got here. We have some crybabies on this team, particularly on offense, who want to sit around pissin and moaning instead of working as a unit to get better. Crying to Moma and daddy isn’t an option. If that’s my kid, I put my boot in his ass. This years team is a microcosm of what happens when you worry about me and not about we.

Levis also seemed to be more of a leader type. And he could flat out make plays with his feet when necessary. Leary isn't anywhere close in terms of mobility and he doesn't seem to be the fiery, lead by example type that Levis was.

That being said, Leary didn't have the success he had at NC State by being a terrible QB. IMO, I don't think we've used Leary in a manner that takes advantage of what he does well. This is why I don't like rigid systems in college football. Because of the amount of turnover experienced in college football, coaches need to have more flexibility built into their systems to adjust for the variations in players from season to season. Hopefully Coen is recognizing this and planning accordingly. But I am also more than a little disappointed that we had to stink it up an entire season before the coaches seemed to recognize the problem. Eddie Gran seemed much more adaptable on the fly.
Leadership is not so easy to gauge as a fan on the outside but it's certainly a possibility. The one thing they have in common is their OL and WR over the past 2 seasons didn't give them enough help.

Well the fact Coen said they were going to the portal seeking leadership says all I need to know. To me, you can’t transfer in leadership unless it’s a guy like Levis. It’s just hard to do that. You need guys that’s been here for a period of time that have worked and sweat. JJ Weaver was a disappointment this year. I really thought he would step up as a leader. Next season we have 8 home games, the 4 on the road are Florida, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas. Home game with Georgia so without improvement and leadership, next year could be just as bad.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
My immediate question would be why did they ever think it would be successful, why continue to wait to change things? To me it sounds like buzz words to hopefully do damage control and and has no real merit based off what we have seen. I hate to say that, but it doesn’t make sense. Increasing the tempo isn’t a major change, it’s just efficiency. You aren’t putting in new schemes
Exactly!!! Why wasnt all this figured out after week 1? Ray Charles could see this slow tempo-walk to the line, wait till theres 01 on the play clock isnt working and all the stupid shifts on each play. Gonna wait till the bowl game? Doesnt make much sense to me.

Maybe someone on the staff can't think at that pace?

Stoops said on his first radio show before this season that Scangs offense didn't even have the capability to go up tempo. Wow. He said this team had that capability, but we've not really seen it. I guess that's what you get with a defensive minded head coach. Bob Stoops was a whole lot more innovative than his brother Mark. Even with air raid coaches, it never really looked like it did at other places.

There was one game where we actually went up-tempo for a while. I can't remember which game specifically, but it was during league play. We didn't even stay with it for a full quarter but during the time we went up-tempo, the offense actually looked pretty good and they were moving the ball after having looked like shit earlier in the game. That was the only time I saw us go fast all season and we haven't done it again since. Totally baffling and discouraging that the coaches can't see when something is working and be smart enough to continue doing it!

Probably not a whole lot to be honest but I think Coen could run his preferred style with Levis, Wandale, and Chris Rodriguez. Now they won’t plan like that level of talent is assumed every year.

Reactions: BigBlue1992
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT