ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

Hold up a ****ing minute, WWE advertised 8 King/Queen of the Ring matches for tonight. Now they are scrapping two of those matches and putting them on house shows?!

Reactions: GeraldV
I love the new and improved backstage camera work it gives such a better continuity and look and feel to the show.

- Those Stratton nudes were downright disturbing. Damn.

- WWE has been handing out sports titles for awhile. Absurd UK doesn't have one. Forget about meeting POTUS, the WWE belt with the school or franchise logo and having your MVP or coach carrying that sumbitch around is just cool.

- Punk's promo just now was a little clunky but I like where this is going. Whole thing feels like fate. We should've gotten Punk/Rollins, Sami/Drew and because of injuries and personal stuff from the past, the feud of the summer is going to be Punk and Drew. Plus Rollins is so banged up, he can take time off and come back with hopefully a new gimmick.

Well maybe the Ricochet/Ilja match just passed Cody/AJ. Ilja may be the best in ring wrestler in the world today. Ricochet is the best high flyer in the business. Putting those two together on free tv was a treat and half.

They got 180 minutes to work with buddy. If they all went 10 (and inevitably some of them will have commercials during the match) that wouldn’t even be half the show.
About 76 minutes of wrestling last night, which is basically right at what I said they could easily do - 8 matches at 10 minutes apiece. No excuse not to have a good bit of wrestling on a three hour show, and last night once again proved it’s possible.

@ryanbruner

Reactions: Col. Angus
TK got to step up his game for this Wednesday. Can’t let HHH take his gimmick of banger TV matches and not put a banger match on the card.

Beavis And Butthead Comedy GIF by Paramount+

(Me skipping through most of the matches last night.)

I thought when Calipari and Barnhart did that interview together Cal had a WWE UK title belt on the shelf.
I haven't looked recently but for a while the only pro sports team you couldn't get a belt for was Jacksonville, which is funny.

I suppose doing those matches at house shows might get more interest. Although at this point they're doing great numbers even at those shows.

Dark Side Of The Ring season finale tonight is "Black Saturday" when Vince took over the WTBS time slot.

We all know ain't anyone watching her segments for her talking or wrestling except for her little kid fans

Women wrestlers have to have 1 of 2 qualities to make me want to watch them. Be good wrestlers or be hot.

Piper Niven and Shayna are not hot but can wrestle.

Liv Morgan and Maxine Dupri are hot but can’t wrestle.

So the moral of the story is keep Nia Jax off my tv

Dark Side Of The Ring season finale tonight is "Black Saturday" when Vince took over the WTBS time slot.
Looking forward to this show. How many wrestling fans on this board lived through that? Georgia Wresting was in a decline at that point but I can't tell you how pissed off I was to tune on that Saturday to see Vince McMahon on my television instead of Gordon Solie.

Reactions: AmericanDragon
Looking forward to this show. How many wrestling fans on this board lived through that? Georgia Wresting was in a decline at that point but I can't tell you how pissed off I was to tune on that Saturday to see Vince McMahon on my television instead of Gordon Solie.
This is an episode I’m looking forward to a good bit. It’s something I’ve heard mentioned a lot but I’m not particularly educated on it.

I actually tend to prefer these types of episodes that focus on something larger than just one individual or focuses on a specific event - like the FMW, Bash at the Beach, Von Erichs, Plane Ride from Hell, Collision in Korea, Montreal Screwjob, and XPW episodes.

Not that I dislike the episodes in general that focus on one person, some of those have been good too. I just find the ones listed above generally the most interesting.

I wish they would cover more international stuff. That could open a whole lot more interesting topics then some of the ones from this season that have been a bit of a stretch to fit the “dark” theme, like the Earthquake episode. Okay he was a seemingly good guy who got shitty booking and died early? Yawn.

Like Japanese wrestling has had a Yakuza problem for decades, and one of the most influential and best wrestlers of all time in Rikidozan was murdered by the Yakuza.

A Mexican female wrestler was a serial killer.

Both of those stories are way more interesting to explore than nearly everything from this season.

This is an episode I’m looking forward to a good bit. It’s something I’ve heard mentioned a lot but I’m not particularly educated on it.

I actually tend to prefer these types of episodes that focus on something larger than just one individual or focuses on a specific event - like the FMW, Bash at the Beach, Von Erichs, Plane Ride from Hell, Collision in Korea, Montreal Screwjob, and XPW episodes.

Not that I dislike the episodes in general that focus on one person, some of those have been good too. I just find the ones listed above generally the most interesting.

I wish they would cover more international stuff. That could open a whole lot more interesting topics then some of the ones from this season that have been a bit of a stretch to fit the “dark” theme, like the Earthquake episode. Okay he was a seemingly good guy who got shitty booking and died early? Yawn.

Like Japanese wrestling has had a Yakuza problem for decades, and one of the most influential and best wrestlers of all time in Rikidozan was murdered by the Yakuza.

A Mexican female wrestler was a serial killer.

Both of those stories are way more interesting to explore than nearly everything from this season.
I’m thinking they are trying to cater to the largest common denominator and that’s too niche for vice to do.

I’m thinking they are trying to cater to the largest common denominator and that’s too niche for vice to do.
At least half the subjects they’ve done are going to be niche and obscure for the vast majority of wrestling fans. Like Chris Colt is even obscure by my standards. I’d literally never heard of that guy before, and I very likely would have gone to my grave never hearing about that guy if his DSotR episode never happened.

At least half the subjects they’ve done are going to be niche and obscure for the vast majority of wrestling fans. Like Chris Colt is even obscure by my standards. I’d literally never heard of that guy before, and I very likely would have gone to my grave never hearing about that guy if his DSotR episode never happened.
And that’s why I’ve seen many of them and not that one

I thought the episode on "Black Saturday" was really good. A lot of things I never knew for sure until now. Cornette was great, no surprise. I could listen to him talk about history of wrestling for hours. It's more interesting to me than him crapping on AEW every week.

Don't remember who said it yesterday but I didn't get cable until 1987 so I didn't get to see World Championship Wrestling unless I went to a friends house. We had one of those giant antennas so I got to watch World Wide and Mid-Atlantic every week from either Huntington or Cincinnati. Of course watched Memphis wrestling since it was on either WLEX or WKYT.

I know nobody saw it but sounds like the Chelsea green/roxanne match was pretty good - sadly she will just be a main roster comedy act.

Dynamite for this evening...

AEW Champion Swerve Strickland and Christian Cage face off.
AEW TNT Champion Adam Copeland vs. Brody King.
Kenny Omega will have an important announcement
Orange Cassidy vs. Trent Beretta
Mariah May vs. Harley Cameron
Chris Jericho and Big Bill in action
Serena Deeb to appear

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT