ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

Was the crowd chanting “this is awkward,” at one point, or was that just me not hearing correctly?
Specifically, when Rock asked to hold the Universal belt, Cody traded belts with him, and Rock wore it on his shoulder momentarily like it was his belt.

For as awful as Vince is as a person and what he became decision and storyline wise in his company, it was apparently his call to have Reigns beat Cody last year. From there, it was a year long redemption tour of Cody winning feuds and beating half the guys on the Raw side as the Bloodline did their thing on the SD side. Turns out, Vince got that one right. In April '23, I couldn't imagine waiting out another year of Roman but it ended up working and Rock involved enhanced everything and put a mainstream spotlight on the story. And for as much back and forth we wrestling fans do online about WWE and AEW, Cody was in both places and I'm sure every wrestler in both companies waited for this moment and watched tonight. He's the one guy who deserved this and you saw it tonight. Punk, Samantha Irvin, Michael Cole, Rollins, etc. were practically crying for the guy.
I said last year after some fans were upset after Roman beat Cody at Wrestlemania that it was too soon for him win the title and Cody chasing Roman and the belt should be the story.

I'm rewatching the Cody and Roman match from last night and did anyone else pick up on Roman attacking Seth Rollins (In Shield gear) with the chair? That was a nice callback to this moment.

The build-up to the eventual Drew/Punk match will be really good, but I’m sure WWE will have Drew eat the pin to give Punk a win. Not sure what they have against Drew, but that guys deserves a run with the belt. He has the look/skill/charisma to be a pretty dang intimidating heelish top dog (can’t go full heel…. Fans like him too much).

Reactions: Col. Angus
I said last year after some fans were upset after Roman beat Cody at Wrestlemania that it was too soon for him win the title and Cody chasing Roman and the belt should be the story.

I'm rewatching the Cody and Roman match from last night and did anyone else pick up on Roman attacking Seth Rollins (In Shield gear) with the chair? That was a nice callback to this moment.

It was a call back to Seth turning. It was also a call back to a segment at the beginning of the road to Wrestlemania. In that segment, Seth told Cody the he was uniquely qualified to help Cody fight the Bloodline. He said Cody I will be your shield. That is how it played out. He took the chair shot so Cody could finish his story.

Reactions: billCgmx
I think I found out why dragon was so quiet over the weekend

After watching 118 matches between Wednesday and last night. From AEW Dynamite to WWE Wrestlemania and everything in between, and because a lot of these matches won't make it on my end of the month list. Here are my Top 30 Matches of Wrestlemania Weekend:

30. Joey Janela's Spring Break 8
Matt Cardona vs Blue Pain

29. EFFYs Big Gay Brunch 9
BUSSY vs Dirty Breeze

28. AEW Rampage
Final Four Elimination Match
Daniel Garcia vs Action Andretti vs Komander vs Bryan Keith

27. AEW Collision
Penta El Zero Miedo vs Komander

26. DEFY Can't Deny It
Sovereign vs Dragon Gate vs C4XKC

25. Mark Hitchcock Memorial Supershow
RevPro Undisputed British Heavyweight Championship
Michael Oku vs Titán

24. DEFY Can't Deny It
DEFY Worldwide Tag Team Championship
The Bollywood Boyz vs Boisterous Behavior

23. DDT Goes Philadelphia
Tetsuya Endo vs Andrew "The Giant"

22. GCW/JCW vs The World
JCW Championship
Masha Slamovich vs Syuri

21. WWE Wrestlemania XL Night 1
WWE Intercontinental Championship
GUNTHER vs Sami Zayn

20. ROH Supercard of Honor
Mina Shirakawa & Empress Nexus Venus vs Tam Nakano & Queen's Quest

19. ROH Supercard of Honor
ROH World Championship
Eddie Kingston vs Mark Briscoe

18. EFFYs Big Gay Brunch 9
Monomoth vs Aaron Rourke vs Rico Gonzalez vs Devon Monroe

17. ROH Zero Hour
Mariah May vs Momo Kohgo

16. Joey Janela's Spring Break 8
Minoru Suzuki & Masato Tanaka vs Masha Slamovich & Rina Yamashita

15. REVOLVER x HOG Philadelphia
TNA X Division Championship
Mustafa Ali vs Amazing Red

14. Josh Barnett's Bloodsport X
Minoru Suzuki vs Royce Isaacs

13. DEFY Can't Deny It
CCK vs Moonlight Express

12. ROH Supercard of Honor
ROH Womens World Championship
Athena vs Hikaru Shida

11. Stardom American Dream 2024
World of Stardom Championship
Maika vs Megan Bayne

10. DDT Goes Philadelphia
Yuki Ueno vs Mike Bailey

9. Mark Hitchcock Memorial Supershow
Masato Tanaka vs Josh Alexander

8. DDT Goes Philadelphia
DDT Universal Championship
No Rules
MAO vs Billie Starkz

7. ROH Zero Hour
The Beast Mortos vs Blake Christian

6. WWE Wrestlemania XL Night 2
Undisputed WWE Universal Championship
Bloodline Rules
Roman Reigns vs Cody Rhodes

5. WWE Wrestlemania XL Night 1
Undisputed WWE Tag Team Championship
The Judgement Day vs Awesome Truth vs DIY vs A-Town Down Under vs New Catch Republic vs The New Day

4. REVOLVER x HOG Philadelphia
Mike Bailey vs Masha Slamovich

3. ROH Supercard of Honor
Inagural ROH Womens Television Championship
Queen Aminata vs Billie Starkz

2. ROH Supercard of Honor
ROH World Television Championship
Kyle Fletcher vs Lee Johnson

1. Josh Barnett's Bloodsport X
Fuminori Abe vs Takuya Nomura

I think 10 down to 1 is pretty much based on how many times I thought to myself, "lol, this is absolutely insane". Making a Top 10 for April is gonna be incredibly difficult considering I already have ten matches in the folder and we're only one week in and there's still major shows for TNA, Stardom, New Japan and AEW this month. So what's yalls top matches from this weekend?

I'm just one guy but I won't be watching. He's got a tiny sliver of the internet buzzing (who are already AEW fans) and most of that buzz consists of wondering why they're doing this and this either being a carny troll job or it'll end as an embarrassing disaster as the company keeps using valuable tv time to respond to a podcast interview with a popular former employee. I don't know what AEW does in the moment if the little crowd they'll have begins a CM Punk chant. Is that what AEW wants? Maybe they do since they've brought up Cody's name twice in the last couple months and it's gotten the biggest crowd pop of their show. Are they that desperate to pop a segment rating when we're constantly told everything is great?

Just catching up on Raw. I am not quite sure how Natty hasn’t fallen on her face with those huge cans.

Raw did 2,362,000 million viewers on Monday night and a .083 in the demo. It peaked during the Cody-Rock segment with 3.1 million viewers. The national title game did about 15 million.

On a side note even airing at Midnight Collision did 458,000 viewers which is pretty good.

Not sure who Chris Colt is exactly but he's the subject of Dark Side Of The Ring tonight. Finished the Harley Race one, lot of stuff I didn't know about him.

Reactions: Nightwish84
Just catching up on Raw. I am not quite sure how Natty hasn’t fallen on her face with those huge cans.
Her sister:

F5DsL7vXoAAIDH2.jpg

Dynamite for this evening from lovely Charleston, West Virginia as of 2:00 pm

AEW Champion Samoa Joe vs. Dustin Rhodes (Non-title)
AEW TNT Champion Adam Copeland vs. Penta.
AEW Women's Champion Toni Storm "toasting" Thunder Rosa.
Chris Jericho & Hook & Katsuyori Shibata vs. Shane Taylor Promotions.
Footage from AEW All In: London to be revealed.

Reactions: GeraldV
Checks notes…
AEW has a ppv coming up and in the last 20 minutes…
Jacksons/FTR/Osperay all took jabs at WWE.

I'm not shocked by the online reaction. This doesn't help anyone (maybe Drew honestly) and I don't know why we're revisiting it several months later on AEW television. If AEW wants to go into vengeance mode and use their valuable screen time to shit on WWE and former employees who now work in WWE, have at it but I'd be surprised if viewers stick around for that. AEW keeps forgetting that while WWE jabs, it's usually outside of a WWE broadcast or it's a single line of dialogue which is vague like Reigns telling Cody he left and did a whole bunch of nothing. WWE isn't dumb enough to devote segments to this stuff or bring up storylines from AEW. WWE just did record numbers and the Rock and Cody segment peaked over 3mil. AEW is losing viewers and if it's owner isn't tweeting like a spaz he's making his action figures stick up for him on tv.

I'd be all for TK or the Bucks going on a podcast and taking direct shots at WWE. But good gracious, you don't spent entire segments of your weekly show doing it lol. JR and Schiavone said they wanted everyone to move forward. Copeland told us to be positive and support all wrestling. TK made all three look like dipshits tonight.

And apparently Ospreay called out HHH tonight as well.

They're going full 96 WWF right now

Let’s see:

Triple H was in WCW, in line for a cushy contract, but wanted to get better. Steven Regal encouraged him to turn down the WCW contact, go to the WWF, days before those big nice guaranteed contracts, so he could gain experience working every night.

Also took the brunt of the curtain call fiasco, deservedly so, but didn’t bitch and whine, did his job (ie “jobs”), built himself back up.

Was part of one of the top stables in the history of wrestling.

Nice call out Ostrich, you idiot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT