ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

Glad to see the love for Willow. Don't think she should've main evented a couple weeks back but she's genuine and solid in the ring. You want a star? She can be a star. Unfortunately the former WWE and current Multi-Million Dollar Princess is going to get pushed to the moon instead.

Reactions: Wesley91581
Oh, and I liked that last segment. We've seen the signing in blood thing before, in fact I was there when Taker busted Austin open on Raw and signed the contract in Stone Cold's blood but Swerve is solidifying himself as a badass who can go twisted if need be. Moxley wants to pretend he's like that all the time and it comes off as fake and goofy. Swerve vs Joe will be a battle.

Enjoyed Dynamite last night. Ospreay and Hobbs was very good, I thought. Joe and Swerve's segment killed it.

On a smaller scale, I also liked Trent finally heeling out after it being hinted at basically forever.

Reactions: AmericanDragon
Punk's interview must've really rattled some cages within AEW. Tony sent Copeland out there for a goodwill cheerleader speech and to kiss The Elite, Tony, and AEW's ass while at the same time looking into the camera as if he's speaking to Punk himself lol. That was weird and reminded me when Stephanie came out and urged "The Universe" to kiss Vince's ass during some of his...troubles. AEW didn't need to do a toxic positivity speech there.

Promo felt forced to me. The delivery was good and I respect Edge putting over the younger guys in AEW. It felt like damage control.

It looks to me that AEW let an interveiw from a former disgruntled employee upset them so much they felt the need to lead off their show with a rah, rah this is the greatest company ever speech. Punk continues to live rent free in the world of AEW. Dozens of ex WWE guys have trashed that company - with good reason - for decades and they've never once mentioned it on TV as far as I can remember.

I want AEW to do well, and it would help if they focused on the product and tuned out the noise. But the boss is a member of the IWC, so of course he lets negative press hurt his feelings instead of ignoring it.

That said, I enjoyed most of the show. Thought Osprey/Hobbs was a good match. Really dug the closing segment.

Reactions: Nightwish84
Dynamite's rating was similar to last weeks so that continues a disappointing trend. Maybe when guys like Moxley and MJF return ratings will pick back up a bit but it's hard to ignore AEW's A show crashing from quarter to quarter and sinking into the 600,000's every week. We may see a time in the not so distant future when NXT is beating Dynamite. Fans are pissed at how White is currently booked, they're constantly annoyed by TK's weird tweets, Okada is handed a meaningless title and doesn't feel special anymore, viewers aren't responding to Ospreay's no story, 15 minute "bangers" where he and his opponent kick out of everything, and everyone is already tired of Mone's persona and act and she's only been there for a month. Not sure we've seen someone in wrestling before who has just spent untold millions on new talent and wrestling fans have either rejected them or just don't care at the moment.

Damn shame he's still in AEW. MJF on Raw on Netflix feuding with an elder Cody Rhodes will be so damn good. Might have to wait 2-3 more years but it'll happen.
You know WWE still wants to be PG, right? I mean they literally told all their talent to stick to PG. The Rock just gets to do whatever he wants because he’s the Rock.

Reactions: Col. Angus
#DaveMeltzer has said that #AEW's recent releases are 'concerning' following previous comments made by #TonyKhan:

"It does make sense, but at the same time, the one thing that I do remember, one of Tony Khan's things was if I sign you to a three year contract, you know you're with me for three years, unlike there where they can cut you any time.

"These are actual cuts. It concerns me in the sense that he has always been strong on that, and then there's cuts.

"The fact that these people were cut I totally understand because they weren't being used. They just signed three giant contracts, and all of these cuts combined was probably well under any of those people.

"As far as explanations, I don't have anything other than it's interesting because of what Tony said, but at the same time they have too many guys and they don't have television time for all of them, and it's unfortunate because some of those guys are very good, but they weren't being used."

(Wrestling Observer Radio)
The Boys didn’t show up to work sometimes and Stu Grayson didn’t either apparently. If it’s concerning to fire someone for no showing to work then I don’t know what to tell you.

He is PISSED at Will Ospreay.
Probably Mercedes more than anyone. But Ospreay and Okada as well, likely.

Funny he says “I’m glad I didn’t pick you.” Bro, they rejected you. Ospreay even went to New Japan to ask for permission to sign early with AEW before he could even officially become a free agent.

However, AEW is screwing up the pay scales that WWE is accustomed to using for decades. As a % of revenue, WWE talents were making less than UFC, and UFC has been notorious for poorly paying their fighters. Now here comes TK paying these people a lot of money, and WWE is being forced to pay more or risk potentially losing their talent to AEW.

Alas, I too would gladly take more money for less work, and my educated guess is that the vast majority of people to have ever existed would do the same.

Got to pay people what their market value is if you want them. Wrestling isn’t a charity, you aren’t going to get people on discount by selling them on vibes and wrestling in front of 40-60K+ for WrestleMania when AEW can put 40K+ and counting in Wembley for back to back years.

Last edited:
You know WWE still wants to be PG, right? I mean they literally told all their talent to stick to PG. The Rock just gets to do whatever he wants because he’s the Rock.
Likely PG-13ish on Netflix. You may want to move away from this thought that an MJF or a CM Punk can't possibly work in WWE because WWE won't allow their roster to scream fk and shit in every promo. MJF is more than a few curse words. Hell, ole "PG Punk" still moves the needle, just by talking. Btw, AEW has been reeled in some from that stuff too recently.

Cody is great…constant professional..,

Cody Rhodes was on the MMA Hour and you'll probably see a lot less headlines about it because he was a lot less controversial. Ariel Helwani did ask Rhodes about Punks comments towards AEW stating;

"That’s his assessment. It is not my assessment. It’s always important for me to remind people that I am so proud of what me, Matt, Nick, Kenny, Tony, Bernie, Brandi, and Dana, and Chris, and I name all these people because I was in those meetings. As much as the Internet will try to spin the narrative one way, if one of those people have not been at that start-up level, the company would not have happened, and I am so proud of what was created.

“I am so insanely proud of what it does for the industry overall, for wrestlers and their well-being and the ability to feed their families, and I have an unbelievable love for so many people in that locker room, including the Bucks, including Kenny, who, were bonded forever over this thing that we did. So it’s not my assessment. In my time there, the infrastructure was just being built up. But we were trying new things and doing things. It was a start-up company, a big-time start-up company but a start-up company, and I wish them nothing but the best.”

Here's how Cody needs to win Sunday. Lose the tag match on Saturday. Blah, blah, blah. Have him win by Heyman turning against Roman with _____. Cody finishes the dream. Roman rides off into his semi-sunset that he's been on for a year and a half anyway and the Bloodline turns face. Paul builds a stable against them.

No clue how it all plays out at WM but after WM we’ll get

Rock/Cody
Roman/Seth (No belts here)
Drew/Punk

And those feuds carry to SS easily!

Likely PG-13ish on Netflix. You may want to move away from this thought that an MJF or a CM Punk can't possibly work in WWE because WWE won't allow their roster to scream fk and shit in every promo. MJF is more than a few curse words. Hell, ole "PG Punk" still moves the needle, just by talking. Btw, AEW has been reeled in some from that stuff too recently.
The **** is your boomer ass talking about?

Kentucky’s own Billie Starkz won the ROH Women’s TV title last night at Supercard of Honor, and Mark Briscoe won the ROH title 11 years to the day after his brother Jay won the title.

Reactions: GeraldV
- The HOF was absurdly long. Can't imagine being there from like 7pm to 1am. I think a lot of fans left after Heyman's epic speech. He's going to be one of those guys that will never retire and will likely be involved with WWE when he's in his 70's. We really could see an NXT one day lead by Heyman and Punk. Keith Lee randomly walked into frame in the back when Punk was being interviewed before the HOF as well.

- Stand & Deliver was solid. The tag match was a lot of fun. Bron just has it and you can't take your eyes off him. 16,000+ for an NXT event is impressive. If there's a season two of Wrestlers, OVW really needs to think about scheduling an event for WM weekend wherever it's being held. They'd probably get a couple thousand just because this weekend is like comic con for wrestling fanatics.

Predictions for Night one.

Bianca / Naomi/ Jade
Awesome Truth and New Catch Republic
Rey/Andrade
Jey Uso
Gunther
Rhea
Rock/Roman

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT