ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

YEah Friday's at 10 is rough. TK tried with it even after Punk debuted, but it became obvious pretty quickly that viewership for that show was never going to be remotely close to what Dynamite does. Kind of hard justifying putting anything of importance on there. Same problem with Collision on a Saturday night. It's never going to be regularly competitive with Dynamite, but at least it's still being booked as a B show.

Still think Collision should move to Thursday or Sunday, maybe even Tuesday, just because of the WWE PLE factor alone. It's impossible for that show to build any sustained momentum when at least once a month on average it has to go up against a WWE/NXT PLE.
I know WBD wanted it, but a promotion that was less than five years old had no business getting three shows per week. It was several years before WWE added Smackdown and even then, they added it during their hottest period ever and had guys like Austin, Rock, Taker, Mankind, Triple H, etc. on there weekly. I liked Punk's version of Collision. Even if you believe he's an ass, I'd trust him with a show. I haven't seen Danielson's version of Collision but it appears to be dream match driven, which if you like, you like. Call me a casual but I just don't get much from dream matches. Danielson vs Ospreay will be great but give fans a reason to watch other than the fact that Meltzer is going to rate it 7.5 stars.

Motor City Machine Guns and Killer Kelly both done with TNA. THat's going to be a hell of a tag team and women's talent some company is going to be picking up.

My guesses would be MCMG is going to AEW and Killer Kelly to NXT.

Dave Meltzer gives his thoughts on parts of #AEW feeling a lot more "#WWE-ish" lately:

"Mercedes Mone, when she came out, this is not right or wrong, it's just 180 degree different approaches, Mercedes came out and the whole segment to me felt like WWE. Which is not a dirty word, it just felt like WWE. She's out there doing her dance and doing her very practiced ring entrance, and she's doing a WWE promo with trying to hit certain words and everything. Very scripted like WWE. Of course Jen Pepperman, (former) WWE writer, probably wrote this promo for her. I'm watching this going like, 'This feels very WWE, very produced'.

"Will Ospreay comes out, and it feels completely different. It's very, what I would say, New Japan without the swear words. In the sense that it's very authentic into the story. You can argue which is better, some people want the realism and the sports, and some people want the 'show'.

"But when I watched her, I'm going like, 'this feels just like watching WWE', and when I'm watching AEW, I will say, it does feel more WWE-ish in the last couple of weeks. Which is no surprise with Jen Pepperman in and other people in there that have come in and their knowledge essentially of wrestling is WWE. So the stuff they're gonna do is gonna feel like WWE because that's what they know.

"But when I watch AEW, I think AEW… while you should learn from WWE, if you copy WWE, somebody is already doing WWE, and it's WWE. And they're gonna do it better than you because that's what they do. To be different, I think you wanna be not WWE. You wanna go in a different direction."

(WOR)

Dave Meltzer gives his thoughts on parts of #AEW feeling a lot more "#WWE-ish" lately:

"Mercedes Mone, when she came out, this is not right or wrong, it's just 180 degree different approaches, Mercedes came out and the whole segment to me felt like WWE. Which is not a dirty word, it just felt like WWE. She's out there doing her dance and doing her very practiced ring entrance, and she's doing a WWE promo with trying to hit certain words and everything. Very scripted like WWE. Of course Jen Pepperman, (former) WWE writer, probably wrote this promo for her. I'm watching this going like, 'This feels very WWE, very produced'.

"Will Ospreay comes out, and it feels completely different. It's very, what I would say, New Japan without the swear words. In the sense that it's very authentic into the story. You can argue which is better, some people want the realism and the sports, and some people want the 'show'.

"But when I watched her, I'm going like, 'this feels just like watching WWE', and when I'm watching AEW, I will say, it does feel more WWE-ish in the last couple of weeks. Which is no surprise with Jen Pepperman in and other people in there that have come in and their knowledge essentially of wrestling is WWE. So the stuff they're gonna do is gonna feel like WWE because that's what they know.

"But when I watch AEW, I think AEW… while you should learn from WWE, if you copy WWE, somebody is already doing WWE, and it's WWE. And they're gonna do it better than you because that's what they do. To be different, I think you wanna be not WWE. You wanna go in a different direction."

(WOR)
Only thing WWE-ish the last couple weeks with AEW has been Mercedes.

WON has really just lost it. Frequently report fake news which gets debunked in less than 24 hours when anyone with any ounce of integrity actually checks to verify if what they reported was correct. And now he and Alvarez are also out here saying the Edge and Christian I Quit match was a WWE-style match. Like in what universe is WWE doing a match like that in 2024?

That girl trashing Roman was the only good thing about that segment the other night.
Yeah, it was awkward and slow. Maybe it was cooler if you were there and had these guys walking past you through the crowd but this entire thing feels never-ending. Just glad WM is around the corner. Guess that's one bad part about the RR being early in the year and WM in the spring. You'll usually have a good idea of your main events but you've gotta get through a Feb PLE and then several weeks of more Mania build.

Reactions: K-mac18
I mean…. I’ve said before that I’m not really turned on by chicks built like her but damn if Rhea Ripley doesn’t make my mushroom head swell.

Raw for tonight

CM Punk to appear.
Jey Uso vs. Shinsuke Nakamura
Sami Zayn vs. Bronson Reed
Ricochet vs. JD McDonagh
Ivy Nile vs. Candice LeRae
Andrade vs. Ivar

Gerald did you watch that women’s match?

Hopefully wrestling this week will provide a good distraction from that horrible game Thursday.

Reactions: GeraldV
Gerald did you watch that women’s match?

Hopefully wrestling this week will provide a good distraction from that horrible game Thursday.
Yes, it was very good, I thought! It was only 8-10 minutes seemed like, but they got a good chunk of spots fit into it. I wish they had five more minutes to be honest.

Reactions: Wesley91581
CM “the voice of the voiceless” Punk signal boosting a bigot in Jim Cornette just to get a pop. Sad. What’s next, shouting out Ron DeSantis?

Gotta say as bad as I thought that segment was on Friday most of that show was pretty awesome last night.

"Blood and swearing in WWE, the Attitude Era is back baby."

Probably not but still a really good show last night.

Reactions: GeraldV
I know there wasn’t a ton of wrestling minus a couple filler matches but I was generally entertained throughout and that’s tough to do with a 3 hour raw.

- The Ricochet/McDonagh match was fantastic.

- If Raw was a preview of what we'll see on Netflix, I'm excited. We're seeing Attitude Era numbers again and they're allowing a select few to say whatever they want. It's insane how things changed for the better once Punk and Rock returned and Dunn retired (plus the sex pest isn't around anymore). Just the last few weeks seeing the evolution of Rock's entrance has been impressive.

- Punk, Rollins, Drew...surprise surprise. It's like they're grown adults who were willing to put business first for the fans and to help improve the company they work for. True, he may end up being CM Glass, but he's elevated the games of Rollins and Drew just by being around. SummerSlam may end up being Punk vs Drew, Cody vs Rock.

Reactions: Col. Angus
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT