ADVERTISEMENT

Charles Matthews primed for a Booker-esque year

BlueRunner11

All-American
Mar 26, 2011
KY, currently in CA
IMO Matthews is very underrated and sort of being overlooked when it comes to just what he is going to bring to the table this coming year. Versatile, good shooting guard (scores from midrange and perimeter) that isn't quite getting the same type of the hype as other recruits even our own.

Obviously his game is different, but I think he is going to sneak up and surprise a lot of people much in the same way that Booker did and will be very important part of the teams offensive production this year. I know there is some anxiety out there about next year's shooting/scoring but he's a great talent and by all accounts a really good kid. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him having a "decision" to make next year about this same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreenRiverCat
I'm looking very forward to seeing him at UK next year too and also think he is somewhat underrated right now. I've seen him a couple of times on TV and he looked very good. He looks great in the link you provided but, honestly, it appeared he was playing against far inferior talent too so you know how mix tapes can be in trying to judge a player. Still, I think he will surprise many people but not quite ready to anoint him as the next Booker just yet. Let's let him play in a game first and see how he does without putting too many expectations on the kid.

I don't really agree. We all kind of expected Booker to be really good. Especially considering how good a shooter he was. I do think Mathews is being overlooked and underrated, and I think he's going to be a really good player but I don't think he'll have as much of an impact as Booker did. Mathews will come off the bench, give us some good minutes and play good defense and maybe score 5-6 points a game. I'm expecting him to be kind of a Liggins type.

Reactions: 3bombino96
He's never been known for good shooting so I don't see him as a Booker type at all.I think he can play good defense and rebounds well for his size.

IMO Matthews is very underrated and sort of being overlooked when it comes to just what he is going to bring to the table this coming year. Versatile, good shooting guard (midrange and perimeter) that isn't quite getting the same type of the hype as other recruits even our own.

Obviously his game is different, but I think he is going to sneak up and surprise a lot of people much in the same way that Booker did and will be very important part of the teams offensive production this year. I know there is some anxiety out there about next year's shooting/scoring but he's a great talent and by all accounts a really good kid. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him having a "decision" to make next year about this same time.

I have seen two and 1/2 complete games of Matthews. News flash: this kid can play. As this mix tape shows , he is quite athletic. He can run and get off the floor quickly. He has a relatively mature wiry body, What the tape doesn't show is his excellent on court demeanor. No woofing, complaining or finger pointing. I will be surprised if he doesn't play 15 minutes /game for one reason. he can play some defense. His high school coach (who used to coach with Cal at UMass), always assigned him to the opposition's best player and he turned the lights out. Cal knows what to expect from him because he knows his coach AND he got G2 from Ulis who played AAU ball with Matthews. I saw Booker's mix tape and I was less impressed with that than the GAMES I saw from Matthews. P.S. Booker will go in the top 20 in this year's draft.

Reactions: BlueRunner11
I don't really agree. We all kind of expected Booker to be really good. Especially considering how good a shooter he was. I do think Mathews is being overlooked and underrated, and I think he's going to be a really good player but I don't think he'll have as much of an impact as Booker did. Mathews will come off the bench, give us some good minutes and play good defense and maybe score 5-6 points a game. I'm expecting him to be kind of a Liggins type.
He was ranked as top 15 player in rivals before he got hurt which was higher than Booker, so it wouldn't suprise me if he becomes a important contributer.

Shooting is Mathews weakness. If he could shoot he would be a top 20 recruit . Don't see the Booker comparison at all .

He is really not a good shooter at all.But he is athletic,plays solid defense and a hard worker.I don't expect much scoring from his next season but he could be a very good player in our future.

Shooting is Mathews weakness. If he could shoot he would be a top 20 recruit . Don't see the Booker comparison at all .

You are proving the point of the post...He was a top 15? recruit and a 5 star before he got hurt and thats been overlooked by many who's heads are in the cloud when it comes to stars. The kid can score too. btw the comparison is not as players but by having a season that no one really expected.

Last edited:

I read somewhere that Matthews has been working with a shooting coach to help with his shooting. This kid is going to surprise a lot of fans.

Reactions: stuway
I read somewhere that Matthews has been working with a shooting coach to help with his shooting. This kid is going to surprise a lot of fans.
That's a good sign that the kid is already working to get better.Shooting has really been his problem.

Matthews is a scrapper, slasher, defender, play maker. His outside shooting is questionable. I do think that if he hadn't got hurt he'd been a five star. He will give us effort and energy off the bench.

He's never been known for good shooting so I don't see him as a Booker type at all.I think he can play good defense and rebounds well for his size.

His game is not the same as stated in the original post. The comparison is not to Booker as player, but by having a year that really exceeds expectations. I think he will play a much more prominent role than many of you are thinking he will, thats all.

Yes, we expected Booker to be good...but as good as he ended up being? I think Booker really exceeded fans expectations and imo Matthews will as well. That was my point.

Yes, we expected Booker to be good...but as good as he ended up being? I think Booker really exceeded fans expectations and imo Matthews will as well. That was my point.

Maybe kinda like MKG, not a great shooter but does everything else well. He won't have the impact right like MKG but game alittle similar.

I think Matthews has incredible potential, he may have a little more of a learning curve than some are suggesting, however time will tell

Guys although I don't really agree with the OP's point some of you are misunderstanding. He's saying he thinks Mathews will have a Booker type impact and exceed expectations. He's not saying they're similar type players at all.

Someone posted the other day that Matthews shot 42% from 3 this past season. That's pretty good.

I think he could be a good shooter with Ulis and Briscoe penetrating giving him good looks.

I expect him to shoot around 35% from 3. Solid for our third option on the perimeter.

I think Matthews has incredible potential, he may have a little more of a learning curve than some are suggesting, however time will tell
MKG was one of my favorite players. Matthews Is a MUCH better shooter than MKG especially from 15-18 feet He is not the rebounder/defender all world competitor that MKG was but he is a much better ball handler and shooter. The mix tape gives you hints of his ball handling and passing capabilities. This kid can play and will becomes a real crowd favorite. He is a superior player to Liggins who came in with a big reputation and developed into a good player but uncertain shooter. Matthews is a much better defender and ball handler than Doron Lamb (not the shooter)

Guys although I don't really agree with the OP's point some of you are misunderstanding. He's saying he thinks Mathews will have a Booker type impact and exceed expectations. He's not saying they're similar type players at all.

That's fair Johnny. You know, some posters are just in such a hurry to disagree with someone that they miss the point altogether...or maybe its just that the OP doesn't make it well enough either. ;) Here's to hoping EVERY player on the team exceeds all our expectations!

Reactions: UK_Johnny24
Someone posted the other day that Matthews shot 42% from 3 this past season. That's pretty good.

That was on the 13/14 EYBL circuit and on only 31 attempts.

Overall, he was a terrible shooter that season. He shot just 37% from 2 and 57.5% from the free throw line. The huge volume of free throws he took is encouraging, though.

I have no idea if he's a good shooter, but his form and rotation are excellent.

That was on the 13/14 EYBL circuit and on only 31 attempts.

Overall, he was a terrible shooter that season. He shot just 37% from 2 and 57.5% from the free throw line. The huge volume of free throws he took is encouraging, though.

Source on those stats?

I try not to establish a ceiling to high for incoming guys.

I will reserve my judgement until he suits up and let Matthews be himself and not expect him to be anything but that.

If he has the impact Booker had I'll be ecstatic. If he is a typical freshman who needs time to grow his game, I'm good with that too.

So, next year we could have the worst shooting team in our history? That is disappointing, I wished Booker would have stayed. Mulder may be our only reliable shooter next year, although he still has to commit himself.

I share the same concern regarding Matthews . I do not however think next years team will shoot a terrible percentage because of paint touches and playing in the SEC.

I try not to establish a ceiling to high for incoming guys.

I will reserve my judgement until he suits up and let Matthews be himself and not expect him to be anything but that.

If he has the impact Booker had I'll be ecstatic. If he is a typical freshman who needs time to grow his game, I'm good with that too.
4662.jpg

Well done my man!!! :D

Maybe kinda like MKG, not a great shooter but does everything else well. He won't have the impact right like MKG but game alittle similar.

I think he could be a good shooter with Ulis and Briscoe penetrating giving him good looks.

I expect him to shoot around 35% from 3. Solid for our third option on the perimeter.

Somebody would need to post his stats, I didn't hear that about Matthews.

I think he's casey Prather 2.0. Under rated and decent his first year or 2 and oncentral he adds the weight his frame can hold and gets more mature he'll be a star. He's a legit 6'6 with long arms and had a frame perfect for adding muscle just like prather. I'd also wager he has a 40 inch vertical and at least a 6'9 wingspan

Anyone have his 2015 stats?

Someone posted the other day that he shot 42% this season. I think they said Matthews tweeted it out himself. Could be wrong, but I think that is what they said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT