ADVERTISEMENT

CBS crew talking about possible teams that can beat UConn .

ManitouDan

All-American
Dec 7, 2006
Charles , Clark and the crew say " there are only 2-3 teams that can keep with UConn " and once again I was ready to throw my remote because I think we matched up well with them . I dont think they could have guarded us . I know they might have lit us up too, but they rarely get any serious game pressure applied to them . Just pissed me off entirely all over again to be watching mediocre rosters play in the sweet 16 . Iowa st as 2. seed .. Cmon . Am I crazy , or does ( did) our players match up well to UConn. You have to be able to score in bunches . Clark said they cant be sped up , I think we could if would played the right rotations , and brought our A game . Thoughts ?

They would have destroyed us, get your blue tinted glasses off, BH is 100X the game coach of Cal and their players are playing to win, not secure their draft statuses. He’s running an elite program, Cal is orchestrating a band of basketball mercenaries.

They would have destroyed us, get your blue tinted glasses off, BH is 100X the game coach of Cal and their players are playing to win, not secure their draft statuses. He’s running an elite program, Cal is orchestrating a band of basketball mercenaries.
Our course I believe that .. Yes Hurley >>>>>> Cal .. but look at talent . Does UConn have 4 guys that will make pro's soon. Their freshman is slick , but we have Rob . Reed/ Reeves matches up well with their guards .. again like I said , IF we play the right rotations . Edwards and DJ get eaten alive . And I said we bring our A game .

Bingo!!! UConn would’ve jumped us out of the gate with Cal’s pets starting the game. That would be all the cushion they’d have needed to control us the rest of the way. They’d also extended the first 4 minutes of the second half. Easily a double digit victory for UConn.

Charles , Clark and the crew say " there are only 2-3 teams that can keep with UConn " and once again I was ready to throw my remote because I think we matched up well with them . I dont think they could have guarded us . I know they might have lit us up too, but they rarely get any serious game pressure applied to them . Just pissed me off entirely all over again to be watching mediocre rosters play in the sweet 16 . Iowa st as 2. seed .. Cmon . Am I crazy , or does ( did) our players match up well to UConn. You have to be able to score in bunches . Clark said they cant be sped up , I think we could if would played the right rotations , and brought our A game . Thoughts ?
Lot of ifin going on there! Those are all dreams if JVC is not the HC.

Sad, but so true! Finally got to watch JVC/MB comedy interview and the ONE thing I took away from it the loudest...JVC has ZERO intentions of changing anything!!!

UK seemed to play best against the best competition. Won road games as big underdogs against Auburn and Tennessee. Best Alabama, best North Carolina. So yes, I think our A game could beat UConn. Unfortunately, we couldn't even bring our C game against Oakland.

Our course I believe that .. Yes Hurley >>>>>> Cal .. but look at talent . Does UConn have 4 guys that will make pro's soon. Their freshman is slick , but we have Rob . Reed/ Reeves matches up well with their guards .. again like I said , IF we play the right rotations . Edwards and DJ get eaten alive . And I said we bring our A game .
Dan: I truly feel your anger and pain. I agree with you that with our "A" game UK could win against UConn
I agree with you and others on the coaching part.
Where I feel the difference is in the type of players we have versus other teams.

Yes, UK has elite talent but our talent seems to be forced on NBA careers while players on teams like UConn focus is is winning a NCAA title.
People will say our guys want to win a title and I get that but I haven't seen a top team with this kind of talent have the same issues over and over as we do; injuries that take forever; minutes between players that is highly questionable; what seems to be an offensive set run only to highlight an individual; toughness or lack of.

These last few years is a like a Jekel and Hyde program. Forrest Gump said it best when he said life is like a box of chocolates. That statement described UK basketball to a Tee.

It hard to get excited when you have Captain Hook as your captain.
I watched the press conference with my guys who are UL fans with their new coach. Forget it is UL and listen to this guy. He is full of energy, excitement, laid out a plan, wants to win. Not once did I get the sense he was a used car salesman. Made me sick to think about it really. Why can't the, well, once best program in college basketball have this kind of excitement?

No, we have a fan base that is split as bad as the people in America is over their elected leaders. There is no excitement in this program right now and has not been for some time.

We belong in the Elite 8 for sure and the Final 4. This years team had the pieces to do that and here we are again, pissed off and watching others.

I've said this a few times over the last week or so, but go look at the actual efficiency stats. UConn would have destroyed us. We had more flashy NBA prospects, but much less actual college talent than UConn has. We only had two players in the top 100 of combined offensive and defensive efficiency this year. UConn has two in the top 10 and six in the top 35.

This board continually overrates the whole "NBA talent" thing. When you have NBA talent it means the NBA GMs thing those players will probably be very good in two or three years. It doesn't mean they are good college players right now.

Guys like Dillingham shoot up draft boards because they have tons of raw, unharnessed talent and potential. But that doesn't mean they are well rounded, smart basketball players in the current moment. Teams like UConn and Houston have incredibly smart, veteran, well rounded players. They might not shoot as well, or dribble as well, or make as many flashy plays as our "NBA talent" but they are much better college basketball players. And that's all that really matters if you're trying to win college basketball games.

If the right line up played we coulda played with anyone, but the line up Cal played couldn’t beat Oakland. It woulda gotten ugly and real quick unfortunately.

I've said this a few times over the last week or so, but go look at the actual efficiency stats. UConn would have destroyed us. We had more flashy NBA prospects, but much less actual college talent than UConn has. We only had two players in the top 100 of combined offensive and defensive efficiency this year. UConn has two in the top 10 and six in the top 35.

This board continually overrates the whole "NBA talent" thing. When you have NBA talent it means the NBA GMs thing those players will probably be very good in two or three years. It doesn't mean they are good college players right now.

Guys like Dillingham shoot up draft boards because they have tons of raw, unharnessed talent and potential. But that doesn't mean they are well rounded, smart basketball players in the current moment. Teams like UConn and Houston have incredibly smart, veteran, well rounded players. They might not shoot as well, or dribble as well, or make as many flashy plays as our "NBA talent" but they are much better college basketball players. And that's all that really matters if you're trying to win college basketball games.
Very well said. I bleed blue but honestly watching the games last night, I think we would have struggled to win in this round. That makes me ill when I think of what this team could have been with better coaching
The worse thing is, as many have said, next year will be an even bigger challenge despite the young talent we will possess.

UCONN would have had 30 points in the paint, by halftime… So no UK does not match up well with them. They are the EXACT type of team UK couldn’t handle most of the year. Experienced, big and physical.

Our players would have curled up into the fetal position like they did against TAMU and South Carolina - only worse.

We are too young, too weak minded and too poorly coached to deal with Gold Standard teams like UConn. The days of gutsy players like Boogie Cousins, Deandre Liggins and Josh Harrellson are gone.

Reactions: Oldbluefart
Sad, but so true! Finally got to watch JVC/MB comedy interview and the ONE thing I took away from it the loudest...JVC has ZERO intentions of changing anything!!!
That is why they both have to go. Shame on both of them for what they are doing to UK basketball program.

I dont disagree with much of what anyone has to say .. they are veterans , we are younger , but we were incredibly talented for a college roster .. its a guards game in the NCAAT -- right .. Reed Reeves and Rob .. Anger and dreams still alive . SMH .. I despise Cal as a coach . Hes too bad it is sabotage .

I have read so many opinions of how everyone sees Uk right now and I have to say your statement about a band of "basketball mercenaries" is without a doubt the best description I have seen of what is happening to UK basketball and all college basketball.

NIL>Transfer Portal> Basketball mercenaries
You nailed it

I dont disagree with much of what anyone has to say .. they are veterans , we are younger , but we were incredibly talented for a college roster .. its a guards game in the NCAAT -- right .. Reed Reeves and Rob .. Anger and dreams still alive . SMH .. I despise Cal as a coach . Hes too bad it is sabotage .
It's a guards game in the NCAA tournament. And our resident leader decided that going inside to players that had barely played this winter and players that are limited offensively, was the way to win.

I can't imagine how many layups they would've had on out of bounds plays alone. Cal should be glad he didn't have to get exposed that bad.

This! If our talent played UCONN in 5 years, we have a decent chance of winning. Today, I don't think we would have much chance at all!

I can't believe you guys pay any attention to "The CBS CREW". They throw darts at index cards to pick their winners and know less than casual fans do. That what makes this tournament great. NO ONE KNOWS.

I can't believe you guys pay any attention to "The CBS CREW". They throw darts at index cards to pick their winners and know less than casual fans do. That what makes this tournament great. NO ONE KNOWS.
Instead of throwing darts at the CBS crew which are paid professionals with decades in the game who understand a thing called odds why don’t you offer up your opinion?

For what it’s worth Dave Portnoy of barstool fame place to $600,000 wager on Yukon to win it all that will pay out $2.6 million if he hits I’m Portnoy fan. He just gave $1.5 million to the cop that got shot in New York City half of his money.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT