ADVERTISEMENT

Can Kentucky afford to fire Cal?

With SEC contract money and everything now, Kentucky can afford it. This will all come down to if Mitch wants to do it or not
But that SEC money is need to continue the football program and required secondary sports.
We are not great in football, but can’t afford to go backwards.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Joe Craft definitely has the money, but I don’t think he’s willing to give it to a person he doesn’t like. A real dilemma, pay the man you by all accounts don’t like, or sit back and watch him continue to tear down UK basketball
If I had Joe Craft money I’d absolutely work a way to pay him just not all of it. I’d also get Mitch out for giving him that contract.

Cal will be here another three years or maybe more. He loves the attention and toying with the fans. The Joker of all times.
I personally believe it has more to do with this than his coaching ability. I think he just lets things play out whatever the outcome just to get back at UK fans.

Luckily guys, it’s just basketball and not your real life. Move on and enjoy your weekend. Be grateful
This is Kentucky.
It is our life.

What are we gonna do? Get excited for another 6-6 stoops debacle on the football field? Wait for the pumpkin patch to open? Listen to the wife bitch about fixing the sink?

Reactions: Cantblockme
Luckily guys, it’s just basketball and not your real life. Move on and enjoy your weekend. Be grateful
Nah. Not doing this today.

Basketball season helps my anxiety a lot. Vice’s me stuff to listen to on my drive home. Gives me something to watch when I get home and distracts me from my work. It’s a hobby I’ve enjoyed for many years of life. What’s your hobby? What if I found a way to make it suck for you? That’s where this is right now. Sure luckily o have other hobbies. But basketball is special because it’s short and it can only be enjoyed once a year.

So yeah it’s part of real life. Just like any other activity under the sun we humans distract ourselves with to fill up time and giving meaning to this sometimes joyful, but sometimes horrific thing we call existence. Life is hard. That’s true for everybody. But when one of your favorite pastimes sucks. It’s even harder.

30 plus million buyout. Where does that money come from and how do we come up with the dough to pay another coach.

It’s not f’n paid out in one lump sum. Good grief people, YES! WE CAN EASILY AFFORD IT.

This board has ran with this idea that it can’t be afforded forever and it’s never been true. They can’t afford to KEEP HIM.

This was started by people who care more about Calipari than this program. It’s never been true.

Mitch Barnhart is the best A.D. that UK has ever had ... but he should be fired for giving Cal this contract.

He was the AD that was in place when college athletics exploded. Hes not even close to the best AD we’ve ever had. This is nonsense that people who don’t know how this works run with. Usually the same crowd as the pro cow’s.

He did nothing special except accept checks from Nike, students paying modern prices, and SEC pie money that HIS PROGRAMS contribute very little to.

If anything Barnhart has held UK back from where others could have taken us by now.

Good grief people stop the madness with this stuff. One person says it and then half of you run with it while having no idea if it’s true or not. Look around and you’ll see he’s just a guy at the right place at the right time. Barnhart needs to be fired though, I’ll agree with that.

Their Alumni network are some extremely powerful / wealthy players in the business / medical world.

Those people don’t care anything about Vandy athletics, especially basketball. They crowd in Nashville actually doesn’t like Vandy sports much at all.

They paid it because these universities are FILTHY RICH today and U.K. is no different.

Matt Jones just made a good point. Those people that can assist with his buyout have been alienated by calipari. Who would want to give their money to someone they do not like?
So their egos mean more than helping UK. That makes them JUST LIKE CAL.

Those people don’t care anything about Vandy athletics, especially basketball. They crowd in Nashville actually doesn’t like Vandy sports much at all.

They paid it because these universities are FILTHY RICH today and U.K. is no different.

If you think UK, as a primarily academic university, cares that much about basketball, I have a bridge to sell you.

The buyout is 6 million a year for 5 years. It could probably be negotiated down to half that. Then Calipari wouldn't have to do anything for the money which is exactly what he's doing now.

Where you been? He’s been roasting Cal since last season. It did ease up a bit when we weren’t completely sucking. But yeah he’s been very critical of Cal. And Cal like Jones cut him off.

Cal’s a rabbit eared loser.
Obviously not following him that closely. Didn't know I was supposed too.

Nashville isn’t even a town. It’s just Hollywood now. Crawling with calibros, and weird New Yorkers. Who like to tell everybody how to talk and how much better things were “at da beach”.

Reactions: Jeff2Reed
Can someone get Katina Powell on the phone and set up an appointment?
By any means....get this POS outta here.

Matt Jones just made a good point. Those people that can assist with his buyout have been alienated by calipari. Who would want to give their money to someone they do not like?
That’s true but they can also afford to tie it up in court for 5-10 years wasting his time and money trying to get it.

In an ideal scenario, we could get him to leave for a different job and not have to buy him out. Somewhere like Michigan or maybe UCLA if Cronin ends up at Louisville. Unfortunately, we don’t have much leverage to nudge him in that direction because I’m extremely skeptical that we’d just fire him and pay that outrageous buyout, and he could call our bluff if he didn’t want to leave. I’m afraid we may be stuck with him for now as frustrating as that is.

Reactions: KYExtemper
In an ideal scenario, we could get him to leave for a different job and not have to buy him out. Somewhere like Michigan or maybe UCLA if Cronin ends up at Louisville. Unfortunately, we don’t have much leverage to nudge him in that direction because I’m extremely skeptical that we’d just fire him and pay that outrageous buyout, and he could call our bluff if he didn’t want to leave. I’m afraid we may be stuck with him for now as frustrating as that is.

Everyone is going to see how this goes. Calipari cannot stay at UK under this kind of pressure from local and national media, the fans, and everyone else. He can’t stay like that. Nobody is like stay in that kind of situation. They don’t have a choice he will be fired, or settled and resign.

I believe he’s coached his last game at UK. I guess there is a chance they announce crazy changes and all that allowing him back for one more year, but I doubt it.

You cannot remain at UK under that kind of pressure. These things aren’t possibilities.

What’s probably going to happen is Mitch is going to have to get with Calipari and say look it’s over. Let’s settle this some way and you get to save face. And Calipari will probably have to do it.

Guess we’ll see.

You clearly don’t have any idea what you’re talking about. That’s an epidemic around here; but the opinions keep coming.

What you said about Kentucky and Vandy / college athletics has got to be one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard that’s why I didn’t respond to it. It’s completely absurd. And you made it up without having any idea how stupid it sounded.

Time to log off or slow down and read more. Less posting my guy.

Reactions: KFuqua
You clearly don’t have any idea what you’re talking about. That’s an epidemic around here; but the opinions keep coming.

What you said about Kentucky and Vandy / college athletics has got to be one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard that’s why I didn’t respond to it. It’s completely absurd. And you made it up without having any idea how stupid it sounded.

Time to log off or slow down and read more. Less posting my guy.

Basketball makes very little for that university. Football, maybe.

• Haha
Reactions: KFuqua
Everyone is going to see how this goes. Calipari cannot stay at UK under this kind of pressure from local and national media, the fans, and everyone else. He can’t stay like that. Nobody is like stay in that kind of situation. They don’t have a choice he will be fired, or settled and resign.

I believe he’s coached his last game at UK. I guess there is a chance they announce crazy changes and all that allowing him back for one more year, but I doubt it.

You cannot remain at UK under that kind of pressure. These things aren’t possibilities.

What’s probably going to happen is Mitch is going to have to get with Calipari and say look it’s over. Let’s settle this some way and you get to save face. And Calipari will probably have to do it.
What kind of unbearable pressure are they going to put on him though? Contracts don’t work that way where we can just decide not to pay him what he’s clearly owed just because we don’t like him any more. He has zero incentive to accept less, and there’s no magic wand that can be waved to make him. I definitely don’t want him back, but this is just wish casting.

Mitch does not want to get rid of Cal they are great friends Cal is here until he wants to retire the only thing that will get Cal gone if people quit going to the games and Rupp is half or less full.

Time to pull the plug on this era….

The last four seasons have been major failures:
2021: 9-16/miss the tournament

2022: great regular season, Oscar is POTY and we lose in the first round as a 2 seed to St. Peter’s

2023: Weaker regular season/regress a little bit and a Second round exit

2024: Great offensive team, good chance to make a deep run and we end up losing in the first round again.

Cal had great success in the early years but these past few seasons have shown that he is WELL past his prime and the university needs to move on and now. No more excuses, no more “wait til next year”.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT