ADVERTISEMENT

Cal's success at getting guys into the NBA is truly impressive- numbers

mj2k10

All-American
Dec 22, 2010
People can talk all they want about how Cal signs guys who would end up in the NBA anyway, and sure, there's some truth to that, but the numbers for Cal are truly staggering.

Since he's been at UK, he's brought in 32 guys, not counting the 2015 class, and not counting Orton and Hood, who he inherited and kept. 4 of the guys he's brought in were transfers, and 1 ended up not playing (free Enes, NCAA jagovs). That makes 27 who have come in and played for Cal as freshmen. 2 transferred, and 5 are still on UK's team, which leaves 20. Of those 20:

15 were 1st round picks (9 in the top 10, and 11 in the lottery range), 19 were drafted, and the 1 who wasn't signed an NBA contract anyway. 13 of the 15 1st rounders were drafted after their freshman year.

A segment of UK fans get tired of hearing about the NBA. The reality is that the NBA, not a distinguished (and lengthy) college career, is the goal for pretty much every HS player in the top 100 (and many, often deluding themselves, outside of it), every year. Not just the guys that UK is recruiting, but almost everyone (see Duke 2014 recruiting class). And getting the results that Cal does in terms of having guys drafted is the surest way to continue to challenge for national titles, nearly every year.

Good post. I like seeing the NBA full of UK guys. Cal's recruiting successes and NBA successes as far as players are going to set the next coach up nicely if they have a good personality, good work ethic, and can recruit/coach. Anthony Davis may very well be the "Michael Jordan" for UK's program in the next 10-15 years. Coaches after Cal can use that as UNC did to some success. These things do matter.

It's always been the selling point , the NBA path makes this thing go . You take that aspect out of the equation and what is the primary selling point to attract top talent ? Nothing , because times and NBA money have changed priorities . Cal is the best at preparing his players for success in the NBA .

Thanks for the info mj2k10, he has done an impressive job in the time he has been here, he will be a tough act to follow, course I hope he stays till retirement[thumb2]

Every Kentucky Fan would agree to keep Coach Cal till he retire.[banana][cheers]:cool2:

You'd be amazed at how false your statement is, I 'd be as happy as you are but a certain section of this fan base for some convoluted reason does not want Cal. I will not call them trolls because they are not. For some reason backing anything 100% by any group of people will never happen no matter the circumstances. (I'll settle for >96% and realize some will never be happy or satisfied...) Be Good

I have never, personally, understood why OADs get bashed anyway. As a coach, you want the top players you can get. Those top players have a career goal in mind: the NBA. And, of course, the idea is to get to that goal as quickly as possible. I don't know any other area of interest that is derided as much as an NBA aspiration. Why does no one have a problem with a college kid who leaves school early to develop a successful business, or invent something important? Is it because ball players tend to make so much more out of the gate?

I do know that some have a huge problem with Cal pushing the NBA so hard when recruiting players. That he makes comments about how the draft is a goal, or that draft night was the greatest moment in UK history. Those comments were made because of what those situations DO for Kentucky basketball. We want the best, we have to recruit the best - and the best want the NBA. The players first mantra doesn't bother me at all because, if it were me, I would want my son to be put in the best situation he can be in to succeed.. Yes, as fans, we want wins and championships - but even if these were four year players, we only have them a short time. This is their LIVES - a long term thing. We will get those wins and championships because Cal cares enough about these kids to put them first. Just look at the guys who have come through - because of that care they continue, after leaving UK, to talk about the Cats, to promote Kentucky and to come home to Lexington as often as possible.

Just my opinion

Reactions: mj2k10
People can talk all they want about how Cal signs guys who would end up in the NBA anyway, and sure, there's some truth to that, but the numbers for Cal are truly staggering.

Since he's been at UK, he's brought in 32 guys, not counting the 2015 class, and not counting Orton and Hood, who he inherited and kept. 4 of the guys he's brought in were transfers, and 1 ended up not playing (free Enes, NCAA jagovs). That makes 27 who have come in and played for Cal as freshmen. 2 transferred, and 5 are still on UK's team, which leaves 20. Of those 20:

15 were 1st round picks (9 in the top 10, and 11 in the lottery range), 19 were drafted, and the 1 who wasn't signed an NBA contract anyway. 13 of the 15 1st rounders were drafted after their freshman year.

A segment of UK fans get tired of hearing about the NBA. The reality is that the NBA, not a distinguished (and lengthy) college career, is the goal for pretty much every HS player in the top 100 (and many, often deluding themselves, outside of it), every year. Not just the guys that UK is recruiting, but almost everyone (see Duke 2014 recruiting class). And getting the results that Cal does in terms of having guys drafted is the surest way to continue to challenge for national titles, nearly every year.
That's pretty incredible

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT