ADVERTISEMENT

Cal with a Poythress update

Last said he is running with the team but no physical contact. By all indications he will be close to or at 100% by the time the season rolls around.

For what Poythress does the only thing he will need is his conditioning. Doesn't take much practice time to play lock down defense, block shots and jam the ball down people's throats on dunks....he will be fine.

There is a reason they call it March Madness boys....

Shoe-ins that actually get it done are so few and far between: Injuries, Officiating, Seeding, Hot-Hand Opponents, Terrible Matchups....so many hurddles to avoid along with having a team that physically, athletically, and mentally capable of winning 6 games in a row against the nations best on the biggest stages in three consecutive weeks.

1997, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015.....all still make me queezy

Reactions: Uk1111

Shoe-ins that actually get it done are so few and far between: Injuries, Officiating, Seeding, Hot-Hand Opponents, Terrible Matchups....so many hurddles to avoid along with having a team that physically, athletically, and mentally capable of winning 6 games in a row against the nations best on the biggest stages in three consecutive weeks.

I think you may have meant 2003 instead of 2004. 2004 had no shot at a title (IMO).

And To the guy saying injuries have cost us two straight titles I'm not sure we can buy that for 2014 after seeing what WCS did against Wisconsin on the big stage this past season. We may have beat UCONN with him or we may have lost to UL with him and not even made the title game. You just don't know. I tend to buy the Poy one (kinda like DA in 97) as it makes more sense to me that we would have won.

I think you may have meant 2003 instead of 2004. 2004 had no shot at a title (IMO).

And To the guy saying injuries have cost us two straight titles I'm not sure we can buy that for 2014 after seeing what WCS did against Wisconsin on the big stage this past season. We may have beat UCONN with him or we may have lost to UL with him and not even made the title game. You just don't know. I tend to buy the Poy one (kinda like DA in 97) as it makes more sense to me that we would have won.

We beat UConn with Willie. And UL would still be a loss for them too.

I'm young, but you could add 1954, 1955, 1966, 1970,1975, 1984 and 1993 to this list

If we are still talking Alex, the news tonight just said that Alex said that he is almost 100%. He looked good the other night on the news when they interviewed him about Kat.

Eh, you don't know that, but agree to disagree. I agree about UL though, but I was just playin devil's advocate. Cal owns Pitino.

And you don't know it either since Willie didn't play. But with the easy driving buckets that the UConn guards got you would have to agree that Willie could have helped with that problem

And you don't know it either since Willie didn't play. But with the easy driving buckets that the UConn guards got you would have to agree that Willie could have helped with that problem

It wasn't a season-ender, but you can add Randle's ankle as a factor that night, as well. Just bad luck, or whatever you want to call it... but it was obviously taking the edge off of some of his game. Just bad timing (like Bogan's twist in 2003) especially since we'd already lost Willie.

I wouldn't expect Poy to be 'fully' back until second half of season. Sometimes it takes a while to overcome the mental piece of an injury such as an ACL.

If Alex is 100% by the start of the season, or extremely close to 100%, which I expect him to be, do you put him right back in the starting lineup? Or do you ease him back in and let Marcus start for the first few games at the 4?

Yes, I stated that in my original post. I said MAY or MAY NOT. Try to pay attention please. But yes, you are correct he would have helped.

Hope this is correct and not just being optimistic. I have been told by some people that they are hoping Alex is ready to fully participate in basketball activities by December 1.

Brett Dawson ‏@BDawsonRivals
Calipari: Poythress needs at least another two months of rehab. Says healthy leg needs to catch up to injured leg he’s been rehabbing.

This should get some folks talking.
Jeff Drummond‏@JDrumUK 3m3 minutes ago
On today's SEC coaches summer teleconference, Calipari says don't automatically assume 3-guard lineup next season. Loves his bigs

Hope this is correct and not just being optimistic. I have been told by some people that they are hoping Alex is ready to fully participate in basketball activities by December 1.

Brett Dawson ‏@BDawsonRivals
Calipari: Poythress needs at least another two months of rehab. Says healthy leg needs to catch up to injured leg he’s been rehabbing.

Could make that Duke game a little more interesting. He may not really be himself until conference play.

Poythress:

Isn’t quite at 100% yet:

“I’m doing all the lifting and conditioning with the team. I’m not playing with them, but I am running on the track with them, doing footwork drills with them.”

Kentucky’s Alex Poythress hopes to be cleared by the end of August

Terrence Payne

Jun 27, 2015, 10:53 AM EDT
1 Comment
AP AP

As John Calipari told Heather Cox of ESPN on Thursday night at the 2015 NBA Draft in Brooklyn, Kentucky’s 2014-15 season officially ended that night.

As the focus shifts to another talented team in Lexington, one of the questions heading into next season is the status of senior forward Alex Poythress. The 6-foot-8 Poythress started the first eight games of the season, but was sidelined for the remainder of the year after tearing the ACL in his left knee during a mid-December practice.

Steve Jones of the Courier-Journal received an update from Poythress’ progress on Friday afternoon at Rajon Rondo’s annual Camp Rondo.

Not sure what to make of this

I would make of it that he wants his guards to assume nothing, and come in ready to work like their spot depends on it.

He also wants guys like Lee and Willis to fight like they can earn major minutes.

I would be surprised if our predictions about starting lineups are wrong. But the last thing Cal needs is a team full of complacent players. That's what we had in 2013.

Poythress needs to be brought along slowly.

Patience is important. You can't rush these things.

I'll take some lumps in November without Poythress if it means having him for the SEC and tourney play.

Lee starts at PF until Poythress is ready. We go four guards when we have foul trouble. Maybe Willis can step up.

Adrien Peterson was ready in 6 months. What is taking Poy so long? Its time for NINE and he is babying his knee like it just came out of his vagina

Reactions: UKGrad93
Adrien Peterson was ready in 6 months. What is taking Poy so long? Its time for NINE and he is babying his knee like it just came out of his vagina

Yes, because we all know rushing back into high-impact sports from a traumatic knee-injury is just /GREAT/ for your long-term health.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT