ADVERTISEMENT

Cal with a Poythress update

Adrien Peterson was ready in 6 months. What is taking Poy so long? Its time for NINE and he is babying his knee like it just came out of his vagina
What a stupid comment.Everyone heals differently and he hasn't even got approval from doctors yet.

Approval from Dr? Ive got an approval for him right here.

th

Is Alex showing Banner Behavior?

Normal recovery is 6-8 months, so a December return would indicate a poor/slow recovery. From what poy is saying, and he's the best source of how he's progressing and feeling obviously, it seems entirely reasonable to assume he's 100% in October. And that's 10 months after the injury so would be in line with the normal recovery period for a torn acl.

This should get some folks talking.
Jeff Drummond‏@JDrumUK 3m3 minutes ago
On today's SEC coaches summer teleconference, Calipari says don't automatically assume 3-guard lineup next season. Loves his bigs

It's going to be hard for him not to play three guards with a roster full of them and a thin frontline.

And if Poythress is not ready to start the season, he definitely has to go with three guards, at least until we get Poythress back.

He might start Poythress, Lee, and Labissiere, but when the game is on the line and we need shooting (3-point and/or FT), ball handling, and good decision making, he'll play three guards.

Part of it is probably motivation for Lee. Lee wants to start and is working hard to be on the floor all the time. Cal is sending the message that Lee won't get pushed to the end of the rotation this year. That keeps Lee working hard this summer.

In the end, our top six will all get their minutes regardless of which five start. The top three guards will get 30-35mpg and the top three bigs will get 25-30mpg (would be more, but I factor in foul trouble).

There's nothing to make of it. He's not just gonna be all like "Yea I think I know how I wanna play right now. I know who'll start." He'll never say that going into a season even if he brings back all 5 starters.

Very true.

Cal at his word says Poy will be ready by the start of football season

WTF is Poythress doing playing football for heaven's sakes? Isn't that just asking for trouble? Basketball is hard enough on the knees, but for a basketball player to attempt to play SEC football for the first time ever -- and do it AFTER major reconstructive knee surgery -- is questionable at best.

I'm really surprised Cal is letting him do this. Maybe Stoops has some dirt on Cal?

Derrin was my top 5 favorite player. Poythress doesnt need to be playing football. On a side note, did you know that WCS played football?

The hell you say. Next thing you'll try to tell me he played wide receiver. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

WTF is Poythress doing playing football for heaven's sakes? Isn't that just asking for trouble? Basketball is hard enough on the knees, but for a basketball player to attempt to play SEC football for the first time ever -- and do it AFTER major reconstructive knee surgery -- is questionable at best.

I'm really surprised Cal is letting him do this. Maybe Stoops has some dirt on Cal?
Hope your being sarcastic lol

Poythress' dad and Jae Crowder's dad played college football together so there definitely may be something to this. Possibly.

I agree with vampire keanu reeves

"I've been to every city in Mexico. I came across an unclaimed piece of meat in Baja, turned out to be Rosie. I guessed he picked a knife fight with somebody better. Found one of your passports to Sumatra, I missed you by about a week at Fiji. But, I knew you wouldn't miss the fifty year storm, Bodhi."

Reactions: michaeluk26
Peterson went for 2k 6 months after he tore his acl and all I want is #9. Is that too much to ask? Rondo must want to go to a bowl game more than he wants 9

Poythress needs to be brought along slowly.

Patience is important. You can't rush these things.

I'll take some lumps in November without Poythress if it means having him for the SEC and tourney play.

Lee starts at PF until Poythress is ready. We go four guards when we have foul trouble. Maybe Willis can step up.

4 guards! No!
Willis can, should, and would play before we went with 4 guards vs most opponents.

Normal recovery is 6-8 months, so a December return would indicate a poor/slow recovery. From what poy is saying, and he's the best source of how he's progressing and feeling obviously, it seems entirely reasonable to assume he's 100% in October. And that's 10 months after the injury so would be in line with the normal recovery period for a torn acl.

Not totally true. According to Dr. James Andrews, the average recovery time for a Level 1 person (competitive athlete) is 9-11 months.

4 guards! No!
Willis can, should, and would play before we went with 4 guards vs most opponents.

Why so much fear of playing four guards?

It's been done successfully for years.

Nova and Mighigan have made it their primary lineup, yet we cringe when someone mentions playing a 4-5 minute stretch in a game with four guards when we have foul trouble.

Most teams have 6'6-6'7 players at the 4 anyway, so it's not like they would be overwhelmed by size.

Duke proved you can win a title with essentially four guards.

It's not likely to be our primary lineup, but it's an option when we have foul trouble.

Poythress has been saying that he expects to be playing well before the season starts. Outside of Duke UK has a manageable November schedule so if he can't go until December when the schedule becomes much more difficult then that's fine, but we definitely need him for December.

Poythress' dad and Jae Crowder's dad played college football together so there definitely may be something to this. Possibly.

It actually was Jae Crowder's dad who played basketball for Ky. Wesleyan (Corey; quite good, too) and Alex' mom and dad were there too at same time; not sure what they played. Think his mom played football, and dad played volleyball maybe? I dunno. At KWC it's basketball and then whateva.

Poythress playing football this season actually makes sense. He needs to test that knee to make sure it will hold up for the entire basketball season. He doesn't need to play the entire football season...just a few games to get him primed for hoops.

Yes, I stated that in my original post. I said MAY or MAY NOT. Try to pay attention please. But yes, you are correct he would have helped.

Sorry my bad, but I never really want to pay attention to your posts really. I just hate when they are wrong.

There is a reason they call it March Madness boys....

Shoe-ins that actually get it done are so few and far between: Injuries, Officiating, Seeding, Hot-Hand Opponents, Terrible Matchups....so many hurddles to avoid along with having a team that physically, athletically, and mentally capable of winning 6 games in a row against the nations best on the biggest stages in three consecutive weeks.

1997, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015.....all still make me queezy

Add to that 1952, 1954, 1966, 1970, 1975, 1984, 1986, 1992, 1993, 1995, 2003, and we have ourselves a complete list.

Anybody have any info. on how his rehab is coming along?
I talked to him at the father-son camps few weeks ago and asked him about it - he made it sound like he is 100% back already, and doesn't expect any setbacks at all. Might just be youthful optimism of course but he sounded absolutely positive that he'll be fine.

Gotta agree with JasonSpear on this one. Mav, you are right about Poythress being a good fit at free-safety. But playing TE gives him the best chance to get drafted early in the NFL Draft. And we all know Cal runs a player-first program. So it shall be TE.

Duke is going down on 11/17/15. They have had this one coming for awhile.

I hope so.

Should be a good game.

Great matchups:

Starters
G Ulis vs. Thornton
G Briscoe vs. Allen
G Murray vs. Jones
F Poythress vs. Ingram
F Labissiere vs. Jefferson

Bench

Lee/Matthews/Mulder vs. Kennard/Plumlee/Jeter

Can't wait to see that game. I hope Poythress is ready to go. Without Poy, its a little more of a challenge.

The key is the PG spot. I think Ulis wears Thornton out that early in the season. Good test for the youngster.

UK wins due to that. It will be close and even closer if Poy doesn't play, but I think UK wins.

Reactions: blueisblood
I hope so.

Should be a good game.

Great matchups:

Starters
G Ulis vs. Thornton
G Briscoe vs. Allen
G Murray vs. Jones
F Poythress vs. Ingram
F Labissiere vs. Jefferson

Bench

Lee/Matthews/Mulder vs. Kennard/Plumlee/Jeter

Can't wait to see that game. I hope Poythress is ready to go. Without Poy, its a little more of a challenge.

The key is the PG spot. I think Ulis wears Thornton out that early in the season. Good test for the youngster.

UK wins due to that. It will be close and even closer if Poy doesn't play, but I think UK wins.
It seems Duke gets us when we have an off year in regards to our roster. I.E., 1999 & 2013. I believe we get them this time around. Poythress should be good to go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT