ADVERTISEMENT

Cal: Pen Plays tonight! 12/6

What to Know​

The Penn Quakers will host the FDUF Devils to start their respective NCAA Basketball runs. Tip off is scheduled at 6:00 p.m. ET on December 6th at Palestra.

Wednesday's matchup is shaping up to be a masterclass in shooting: FDUF were looking sharp from beyond the arc last season, having drained 38.7% of their threes per game. However, it's not like Penn struggles in that department as they've nailed 38% of theirs this season. 😐

Looking back to last season, FDUF finished on the wrong side of .500 (0-1), but they'll be hoping to turn things around this year. On the other hand, Penn also assembled a winning record last year, finishing the season 17-12.

I was thinking about UNCW today, wondering if they lost (or will) their next game after UK. The Post Kentucky Win Effect is hitting at 80% or better in the last 10 years.
Looked at their schedule and they play 3 nobodies next, but they do go to Arkansas at the end of the month. That’ll be an interesting one to check out.

Early on Penn is knocking down the trey, 3 different guys have hit from deep. Will Cal have the Cats defending the three?

In another thread someone asked why we didn't have a lot rebounds on the season. You don't need to if you're getting out in transition. The problem is against UNCW we couldn't do that, and Cal sealed our fate by putting Mitchell and Bradshaw in there at the same time. Neither rebounds well, and that's on top of the plowhorse offense we resorted to where you HAVE to be able to rebound.

Cal does not care all he is trying to do is get his guys to next level. He knows he cannot coach but he excels at getting players to the NBA so that is what he uses for his expectations and goals. If winning championships was his goal then he would see himself as a failure not the successful coach putting players in the NBA.

Not his fault but UK's for allowing it.

Cal does not care all he is trying to do is get his guys to next level. He knows he cannot coach but he excels at getting players to the NBA so that is what he uses for his goals.

Not his fault but UK's for allowing it.
Knowing you can not coach, and refusing to do the basics in coaching, are two completely different things. He's very much at fault, but so is (as you said) UK. How much longer are we realistically going to have to put up with him? I really hate that Rupp Arena has not been a place that opponents fear playing in, for a long time :(

Yeah I’m not feeling to great about the game sat… I can easily see UK losing this game.. Although it’s not in rupp.. so hopefully they don’t hit 12-13’s against them..

Reactions: NociHTTP
They easily could be 9-0. Their only loss of greater than 5 pts was against St. Joseph's (8 pt loss). I just hope that we don't dig a hole for ourselves early.

Regardless of how Bradshaw does in the Penn game, he will not be a factor on either end of the court. Nine different Quakers hit 3's :(

You all realize some of the “uk fans” you’re arguing with aren’t really uk fans right? There’s a reason they only show up when things are bad.

Changed their pfp to a pic of cal grinning ear to ear when they know everyone is pissed at Cal lol.

Come on, this was FDU Florhm that Penn beat. It's almost the equivalency of beating a high school team.
Yes, you are correct.

(3PM-3PA) (numer of players hitting 3's)
vs John Jay College (12-31) (6)
vs Bucknell (6-20) (4)
@ St. Joseph's (9-24) (4)
vs Villanova (7-17) (3)
@ Maryland-East Shore (8-29) (2)
vs Lafayette (10-23) (5)
vs Belmont (5-18) (4)
vs Monmouth (12-25) (5)
@ LaSalle (12-25) (6)
vs FDU Floreham (21-34) (9)

People were saying that "it's just UNCW", but when a team that loves shooting the 3 is left open then you see what happens. Our 3-point defense had better be clicking on all cylinders, else this could get ugly.

Player / 3PT% / Height
Holland (G) JR / 50% / 6'6
Brown (G) FR / 46% / 6'3
Smith (G) JR / 43% / 6'4
Slajchert (G) SR / 41% / 6'1
Laczkowski (G) SR / 40% / 6'6
Perkins (G) FR / 38% / 6'4
Thrower (G) SO / 36% / 6'3

So that's practically a group of 3rd year players, they're not likely to be rattled. Hopefully Wagner is back and ready, we'll need him big-time.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
What's funny about it? He actually said those words, and he actually admitted he doesn't watch film of teams before our games with them.
I quit trying to dissect every quote from UK coaches many years ago, maybe you should do the same. Coaches just talk to get through their radio show and interviews and that’s it. They rarely give any true insight to the game.

Reactions: VA/UK and NociHTTP
I think we bounce back too.

Penn does hold a special place in my heart, as I ran the Palestra for a few years in the mid-2000’s. I spent many nights in that arena and saw a lot of great games.
That's cool. Is it really as small as it looks? Cal said you are like back to front in there with knees in your back seating.

Reactions: NociHTTP
I thought this was a rematch with the sword to see who is mightier.

An extra “n” in the title of the thread would have helped.

LOL!

Sorry, I have a weird sense of humor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT