ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN HATE THREAD

cats2010

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
Just noticed they are scheduling games tomorrow just like they did last year when Duke/NC played. Every single game they carry tomorrow has a 2 hour window starting at noon. Game 1, starts at 12:00, game 2 @ 2:00 game 3 @ 4;00 and then, game 4 Duke/UNC @ 6:30. Nice little extra half hour cushion so that zero minutes are missed of their precious marquee matchup. Uk/Tenn are game 5 of course starting @ 8:30 😡

I hate everything Duke and UNC but it makes sense. That game is the biggest draw of the year and it's not really close. February/March is a dead time for ESPN, with the NFL done (or will be), no MLB yet, and NHL and NBA pre-playoffs. So this is kind of the big draw for ESPN.

Probably be even worse next season. Isn't CBS losing the SEC games they have now thanks to that big contract ESPN/ABC signed with the SEC? I thought they also have all of the basketball games in that as well. I may be wrong though. I hope I am. CBS coverage is far better than ESPN.

I hate everything Duke and UNC but it makes sense. That game is the biggest draw of the year and it's not really close. February/March is a dead time for ESPN, with the NFL done (or will be), no MLB yet, and NHL and NBA pre-playoffs. So this is kind of the big draw for ESPN.
Why wouldn't their game be the last one then? Kentucky is always the late game in the champions classic.

Why wouldn't their game be the last one then? Kentucky is always the late game in the champions classic.

I'm not sure 8:30pm is the ideal time spot for east coast college basketball. For west coast teams sure. But I would imagine for east coast, the preferred time slot on a Saturday is that 6 to 7 range. 8:30pm is on the later side, as half the country is in bed no later than 10pm.

I could be wrong on that. But I'm also pretty confident that UNC and Duke picked this time slot.

Reactions: Boyd94
What’s the difference between starting at 8:30 and 9 though?
These games rarely finish in 2 hrs anymore, especially if they are close games. With Duke/UNC starting at 6:30, there's a very good chance our game either gets delayed 10-15 mins or starts on a different channel (or worse, on the app). It's not a disaster or anything, but it is annoying when it's easily avoided by pushing the start of our game back 30 mins.

Yeah, ESPN hates the school that has the biggest college basketball audience. 🙄 Some of you are crazy.

Our game won't even start at 8:30. They will have the tip of something like 8:35 or 8:38, etc. And if Duke runs late, there will be some place to watch it like ESPNews, etc. And now that basically everyone streams and has the ESPN App, people can watch there live. It is not back in the day when there was no other place to watch it.

Also by starting Duke/UNC at 6:30, they have a chance to catch up from the earlier games, which won't start at the top of the hour either.

It's smart business.

Reactions: Rockford
The latest eSpN epidode of UNC vs. Duke basketball...

iu

Last edited:
Just noticed they are scheduling games tomorrow just like they did last year when Duke/NC played. Every single game they carry tomorrow has a 2 hour window starting at noon. Game 1, starts at 12:00, game 2 @ 2:00 game 3 @ 4;00 and then, game 4 Duke/UNC @ 6:30. Nice little extra half hour cushion so that zero minutes are missed of their precious marquee matchup. Uk/Tenn are game 5 of course starting @ 8:30 😡
They always air the next game, especially if it is UK, on ESPN News if the prior game goes long...do ppl not have access to that!?

They always air the next game, especially if it is UK, on ESPN News if the prior game goes long...do ppl not have access to that!?
Of course they do. But there is only one game every year they allow for 2.5 hours between broadcast. Next Saturday it’s back on schedule. Games at noon, 2, 4, 6, and 8. Just get tired of the ESPN/Duke/UNC BS.

These games rarely finish in 2 hrs anymore, especially if they are close games. With Duke/UNC starting at 6:30, there's a very good chance our game either gets delayed 10-15 mins or starts on a different channel (or worse, on the app). It's not a disaster or anything, but it is annoying when it's easily avoided by pushing the start of our game back 30 mins.
75% chance the Duke game goes into overtime. Calling it right now.

7BKsvBTFTNsVkc5LpPRkLGxF0wx6uC-jlaH6AVZqejo.jpg

Have you ever seen the start times pushed back?
Yes, but not more than right before game time when the game before is running long. That's not what I'm asking.

But do they schedule the initial game time before the season? Not all games are on ESPN.

Yes, but not more than right before game time when the game before is running long. That's not what I'm asking.

But do they schedule the initial game time before the season? Not all games are on ESPN.
I doubt it but I'm sure espn can move the time some at their discretion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT