ADVERTISEMENT

Cal left, BBN did not chase him off!!!

He was very unpopular among the fans but he left on his own just a few days before he left he made this big speech how everything was going to be different at Ky this coming season he was lying through his teeth just waiting for the right opportunity to leave and the the Ark job came open and he left.

Actually, he did tell the truth, did he not? LOL

Reactions: MO_Blue
I think JVC saw his NIL support drying up and realized the handwriting was on the wall. Due to his inept coaching and stubbornness, he was going to need generational talent to win big here and that wasn't going to happen in today's landscape without big booster $$. Couple that with the "leaky roof/basketball school" play to get a new practice facility that went nowhere and he realized it was time to go so he jumped at what came along.

Reactions: NociHTTP
It was all just a big coincidence. BBN was out for its hourly pitchforks-and-torches 5 mile run, and Calipari was running in the same direction. He'd just started 30 seconds earlier.

Reactions: TexKat and MO_Blue
He would have been fired eventually when the buyout got low enough, so what's the difference? I think it's a good thing if it looks like we ran him off.

I don't know. I think it could either be taken as we are a passionate fanbase that wants top results or it could be taken as why on earth would I ever want to go to that place.

It could go either way lol

Pretty tired of this spin. Sport media is tryin to save Cals reputation here and its obvious. Close to 9 million a year, lifetime contract and all the resources that go with it. 5 bad seasons by any blue blood standard, not just Kentucky. Even with that Mitch showed public support for this coach and while Cal tells all of BBN he is excited for the coming season, he decides to speak to Arkansas and ultimately decide to take their contract and LEAVE.
Thats how it went down, for better or worse. Behind the scene there could have been conversations pressuring Cal to show results. Rightfully so, wouldn't you think? You pay a man close to 9 mill a year, I think you have a right to expect results. Am I supposed to feel sorry for him if he didn't like being held accountable?
To be honest Cal made the best decision for all concerned, and I respect him for that. He obviously knew he couldn't meet the basic standard so he decided to go with Jerry Jones who will buy his team. Ironically the Cowboys are sited as the exact comparison to modern day UK. All the talent money can buy. Means nothing with out a leader and someone efficient in X's and O's to get the job done.
I expect Cal to take this as a wake up call and adjust accordingly. All though he maybe so arrogant as to think his way is the only way. So far though I believe he is learning a valuable lesson. Arkansas is not the UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY. His recruited guys are not just following him in droves like they did when he left Memphis. Granted the NIL makes that somewhat different but like JJ said, they have deep pockets and will pay twice the amount asked to come there, yet why is it taking him so long to build his dream team of 5 stars and one and dones?
Cousin for all his ignorance was on the right track. TV time! No one is going to watch hogs basketball. He wanted to put that on UK but the opposite is true. Our story will be fresh and easy to sell. Young alumni coach tryin to take UK back to prominence. While Arkansas will be bought and paid for coach and team. That story is what UK left behind when Cal.....DECIDED TO LEAVE!

SORRY Just had to get that all out my system.
We kinda did tbh

Reactions: saxonburgcat
He wasn't RUN OFF.

He also didn't JUST QUIT.

It was a tired marriage that neither side was able to break out of until both hinted that it would be fine if the other did...and Cal did. And UK didn't beg for him back.

Any spin that "Arkansas stole Kentucky's coach because they are better or Kentucky fans forced Calipari out" are both not true.

We kinda did tbh

How? We just wanted him to change some stuff up and focus more on winning games at UK than putting players in the NBA at the expense of the program.

Most fans I know understood Cal was coming back for a 16th season when Mitch gave him a vote of confidence and he did that radio show and talked about how hard he was going to work to “get it right.”

They went on TV for that sham interview. 5 days later Cal leaves in the middle of the night and we later find out he was flirting with other jobs in February, but yeah, fans ran him off. I don’t buy it. The thing that actually ran Cal off was his ego and the realization that he wasn’t bigger than this program. His seat went from warm to hot and he dipped out just like Tubby did.

Explain Lisa Simpson GIF by The Simpsons

Reactions: Ron Mehico
How? We just wanted him to change some stuff up and focus more on winning games at UK than putting players in the NBA at the expense of the program.

Most fans I know understood Cal was coming back for a 16th season when Mitch gave him a vote of confidence and he did that radio show and talked about how hard he was going to work to “get it right.”

They went on TV for that sham interview. 5 days later Cal leaves in the middle of the night and we later find out he was flirting with other jobs in February, but yeah, fans ran him off. I don’t buy it. The thing that actually ran Cal off was his ego and the realization that he wasn’t bigger than this program. His seat went from warm to hot and he dipped out just like Tubby did.
Put yourself in his shoes, he couldn't go hide from the criticism. If the entire base of your job wanted you gone, do you think that doesn't effect the pressure you feel, it makes you unhappy. Yes he brought it on, but he had radio programs, journalist, and fans to deal with. Grt a job where everyone wants you gone and see how long it takes you to put applications in elsewhere

• Haha
Reactions: catben
Some of our fans did kind of intentionally add pressure / unstable working environment so he'd be more likely to leave. Let's keep it real.

• Haha
Reactions: catben
Put yourself in his shoes, he couldn't go hide from the criticism. If the entire base of your job wanted you gone, do you think that doesn't effect the pressure you feel, it makes you unhappy. Yes he brought it on, but he had radio programs, journalist, and fans to deal with. Grt a job where everyone wants you gone and see how long it takes you to put applications in elsewhere
If I wanted to keep that job that paid me an ENORMOUS salary, I would do what it took to keep it!! He QUIT after he signed that unbelievable contract. He got FAT and happy with himself and thought he was above reproach. His ego that had got him to this point in his career, is the very reason he left the biggest stage in college basketball.

Cal CHOSE to leave instead of doing the things that he KNEW needed done to fix it. So he decided to go somewhere that was willing to accept him as he is NOW because they were desperate to win and in the Arkansas people’s eyes they think their getting the Cal from 15 years ago. I hate to tell them that dude ain’t coming back.

This was ENTIRELY on Cal!!!

UK fans definitely ran him off. Not saying it’s a bad thing…but they for sure did. Just own it?
You guys need to get your talking points straight. First it was "the fans don't pay Cal's salary lolz" and then "the fans have no voice" and then "It's just a few malcontent trolls griping, all the fans luuuuurve Cal" but now it's "the FANZ made him R-U-N-N-O-F-T"

Make up your mind.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT