ADVERTISEMENT

Cal left, BBN did not chase him off!!!

Pretty tired of this spin. Sport media is tryin to save Cals reputation here and its obvious. Close to 9 million a year, lifetime contract and all the resources that go with it. 5 bad seasons by any blue blood standard, not just Kentucky. Even with that Mitch showed public support for this coach and while Cal tells all of BBN he is excited for the coming season, he decides to speak to Arkansas and ultimately decide to take their contract and LEAVE.
Thats how it went down, for better or worse. Behind the scene there could have been conversations pressuring Cal to show results. Rightfully so, wouldn't you think? You pay a man close to 9 mill a year, I think you have a right to expect results. Am I supposed to feel sorry for him if he didn't like being held accountable?
To be honest Cal made the best decision for all concerned, and I respect him for that. He obviously knew he couldn't meet the basic standard so he decided to go with Jerry Jones who will buy his team. Ironically the Cowboys are sited as the exact comparison to modern day UK. All the talent money can buy. Means nothing with out a leader and someone efficient in X's and O's to get the job done.
I expect Cal to take this as a wake up call and adjust accordingly. All though he maybe so arrogant as to think his way is the only way. So far though I believe he is learning a valuable lesson. Arkansas is not the UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY. His recruited guys are not just following him in droves like they did when he left Memphis. Granted the NIL makes that somewhat different but like JJ said, they have deep pockets and will pay twice the amount asked to come there, yet why is it taking him so long to build his dream team of 5 stars and one and dones?
Cousin for all his ignorance was on the right track. TV time! No one is going to watch hogs basketball. He wanted to put that on UK but the opposite is true. Our story will be fresh and easy to sell. Young alumni coach tryin to take UK back to prominence. While Arkansas will be bought and paid for coach and team. That story is what UK left behind when Cal.....DECIDED TO LEAVE!

SORRY Just had to get that all out my system.
UK fans definitely ran him off. Not saying it’s a bad thing…but they for sure did. Just own it?

Reactions: Tubbyfan78
Pretty tired of this spin. Sport media is tryin to save Cals reputation here and its obvious. Close to 9 million a year, lifetime contract and all the resources that go with it. 5 bad seasons by any blue blood standard, not just Kentucky. Even with that Mitch showed public support for this coach and while Cal tells all of BBN he is excited for the coming season, he decides to speak to Arkansas and ultimately decide to take their contract and LEAVE.
Thats how it went down, for better or worse. Behind the scene there could have been conversations pressuring Cal to show results. Rightfully so, wouldn't you think? You pay a man close to 9 mill a year, I think you have a right to expect results. Am I supposed to feel sorry for him if he didn't like being held accountable?
To be honest Cal made the best decision for all concerned, and I respect him for that. He obviously knew he couldn't meet the basic standard so he decided to go with Jerry Jones who will buy his team. Ironically the Cowboys are sited as the exact comparison to modern day UK. All the talent money can buy. Means nothing with out a leader and someone efficient in X's and O's to get the job done.
I expect Cal to take this as a wake up call and adjust accordingly. All though he maybe so arrogant as to think his way is the only way. So far though I believe he is learning a valuable lesson. Arkansas is not the UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY. His recruited guys are not just following him in droves like they did when he left Memphis. Granted the NIL makes that somewhat different but like JJ said, they have deep pockets and will pay twice the amount asked to come there, yet why is it taking him so long to build his dream team of 5 stars and one and dones?
Cousin for all his ignorance was on the right track. TV time! No one is going to watch hogs basketball. He wanted to put that on UK but the opposite is true. Our story will be fresh and easy to sell. Young alumni coach tryin to take UK back to prominence. While Arkansas will be bought and paid for coach and team. That story is what UK left behind when Cal.....DECIDED TO LEAVE!

Cal had Mitch's backing then Cal turns around and cheats, and it looks like this was not his first time

Cal had Mitch's backing then Cal turns around and cheats, and it looks like this was not his first time
He didn’t have Mitch’s backing. He had a huge buyout’s backing. Mitch/the Crafts have wanted rid of Cal for a few years. Mitch never wanted Cal but he had the donor support until a few years ago.

Talking with Ohio State mid season, and being a total ass to anyone associated with UK. I don't care if Al Purnell was the new head coach as long as his sorry ass is gone.

Reactions: KFuqua
Morale was low, but Rupp was packed almost every game. Fanbase still travelled like no other. Would have been the same next season. Didn't hear much booing from the fans. Mostly cheers and support for the team...other than SEC tourney loss where a guy asked Cal "Is this the gold standard?" And most callers still supported him on his radio show.

Support was fading, but I don't think he gave a shit what BBN thought, other than their praise.. He knew we'd show up no matter what. People were still kissing his ass...just not as often. Had more to do with his ego imo. BBN didn't quite "worship" him anymore.

edit: It's why he chose Arkansas imo

Last edited:
Reactions: HeismaNole
The narrative that BBN drove him off is ridiculous. It's like some are completely oblivious to his postseason record the past few years, his inability to actually gameplan or coach during a game, his flirting with other programs, his starting "his" guys over others, his insistence on doing things his way, and his purposefully alienating the most passionate fanbase in college basketball.

Reactions: Shadow1671
He either left on his own, after hearing things he liked to hear from another Athletic Director, or he didn't. He always claimed to never listen to the fans. It can't be both. We didn't "run" Tubby off. We didn't even run Billy G off. That was Mitch. Even though it was divided at the time, most fans I knew were willing to see what would happen in Billy G year 3. We may have played a part in Joker Phillips firing by having an empty commonwealth for the Vandy game. However, I think fans tend to think they have WAY more power than they actually do with real sports. JMO

On a serious note, Cal had 30+ million reasons to stick around. He chose to do the right thing and leave. He knew he wasn’t doing right by the University and the fans here and wasn’t meeting expectations. And the seat was becoming too hot to ever recover. (Try to get me to leave and loose out on 30+ million and see what happens.). Anyone educated on the situation knows this. I was on the wagon of wanting change for about 4 or 5 years. As much as I wanted him out I’m happy he chose to do the right thing.

If it makes somebody looking for clicks happy to twist the truth who cares. You’re not gonna change their agenda so don’t let it get you all caught up in it. Just let it be a clear indicator of the stupid people around you.

Who wins more NCAA tournament games the next 3 years?
Pope or Cal
Judging from Cal’s last 5 years Id go with Pope. Look at what Pope did with less and what Cal did with the most. When’s the last time Cal or Pope beat Kansas at Kansas? I’ll hang up and listen.

Cal just a few days before he left said how he was going to come back next year and have a better year, so he lied he left Ky you might say high and dry, but I was one that was glad he was gone, I not sure how things will turn out with Pope I hope good of course so far just one player but maybe that will change soon.

I keep seeing references to the last 5 years rather than the last 4. Why are people including the covid cancellation year in their comments? I have even seen it in the media. Can someone explain how the covid year was so bad to me. I don't get it. I have to be missing something.

Arkansas is now Jerry Jones and Tyson Chicken team. Cals ego is getting stomped on by some of the worst people in sports. In fact, I think he leaves after 2-3 years.
Exactly. People who don't know much about Jerry Jones don't know what he is like. He is a MASSIVE control freak. I used to kinda followed what the Cowboys were doing. When I was much younger. Jones thought that since he owned the team, he had a right to help coach the team. And what players the team needed to buy. He decisions were not real good as far as players and he had major problems with the coaches. He would keep players that were bad and get rid of good ones if they disagreed with him. Basically the same with coaching staffs. His ego is much bigger than Cal's, so I can see how this will NOT last long. So I agree he will last only 2-3 years. The first time he disagrees with Jones...well, I can't wait for the fireworks, because there WILL come a time this will happen.

Reactions: Catfan2226
Arkansas is now Jerry Jones and Tyson Chicken team. Cals ego is getting stomped on by some of the worst people in sports. In fact, I think he leaves after 2-3 years.
I think you’re right but we will see. I think that Cal is a very moral person but his ego outweighs his morality most the time. His ego will not let him play in the backseat to anyone. He has to have total control and the last word. Chicken and Jones will have to bow out and hush if he is to stay around long. His need of being the biggest fish in the pond is obvious based on his past.

Talking with Ohio State mid season, and being a total ass to anyone associated with UK. I don't care if Al Purnell was the new head coach as long as his sorry ass is gone.
I bet if AL Purnell was coach, we'd be Goo-ooooooood !

Classic commercials that used to be on UK games when they were shown on local station WKYT.

Reactions: bluebornwildcat
When you alienate the boosters and start shopping yourself to other schools, that is a sure way to indicate that you are ready to move on. I don’t believe the fans were the primary factor in this decision. Calipari was checked out the last three years and needed a change. His choice to go to Arkansas saved UK $33 million. Good deal for everyone!

I keep seeing references to the last 5 years rather than the last 4. Why are people including the covid cancellation year in their comments? I have even seen it in the media. Can someone explain how the covid year was so bad to me. I don't get it. I have to be missing something.
Fine

He's sucked since getting to 38-0 March 2015. Lost with 10 NBA players to a Wisconsin team that had maybe 1 1/2.

Every yr since has been a disappointment, failures. Have no idea why some insist 2020 was gonna be a final 4, guaranteed. As if the yrs before and the yes after haven't proven how unlikely that outcome was.

That team wasn’t going anywhere and had the Hagans drama. Although maybe it’s not fair to count that year but it was still another year where UK didn’t see any win. Neither did anyone else but it doesn’t change UK had another March with nothing.

Fine

He's sucked since getting to 38-0 March 2015. Lost with 10 NBA players to a Wisconsin team that had maybe 1 1/2.

Every yr since has been a disappointment, failures. Have no idea why some insist 2020 was gonna be a final 4, guaranteed. As if the yrs before and the yes after haven't proven how unlikely that outcome was.

I really don't know what the post season would have brought in 2020 but it just seems unfair to throw that season out there as a failure considering we did have a great year considering we went 17 and 3 down the stretch and won the SEC.

The fact that I am turning 80 next month and am now can be excited again about a team which I have followed feverishly most of my life is all I know. I had resolved myself to the fact that it would never happen before I made that big exit.. Now it has happened and whether Cal left on his own or was run off is of little importance to me. What is important my excitement for UK basketball is back the way it should be.

the wolf of wall street idgaf GIF

Yes…well said!!

He didn’t have Mitch’s backing. He had a huge buyout’s backing. Mitch/the Crafts have wanted rid of Cal for a few years. Mitch never wanted Cal but he had the donor support until a few years ago.
What ever you want to tell yourself, Cal burnt every bridge he had here, from the stories Cal was a jerk to a lot of people. And pissed a lot of people off. None the less Cal was given another year, and he ran away because face it even he knew his crap and his double talk had worn itself out with this fan base.

I can certainly believe this! And yes… I appreciate what Cal did for his first 6 or so years but his last 5 based on money paid was marred by coaching apathy and/or malpractice!!

The fact that I am turning 80 next month and am now can be excited again about a team which I have followed feverishly most of my life is all I know. I had resolved myself to the fact that it would never happen before I made that big exit.. Now it has happened and whether Cal left on his own or was run off is of little importance to me. What is important my excitement for UK basketball is back the way it should be.

We've been down the road before. Joe B flaming out against UAB, Middle Tennessee and Georgetown. Sutton and probation. Pitino bringing life back into the program then bolting for the NBA. Tubby and his lack of recruiting and leaving Hayes on the bench while Mich St played volleyball on the boards. Billy G (enough said). Calipari and 4 years of going down in flames.

I am excited again as well. Face it, if Joe B, Pitino, Tubby and Cal could all win titles here, I see no reason why Pope can't do it too.

Reactions: dl51344
What ever you want to tell yourself, Cal burnt every bridge he had here, from the stories Cal was a jerk to a lot of people. And pissed a lot of people off. None the less Cal was given another year, and he ran away because face it even he knew his crap and his double talk had worn itself out with this fan base.
lol. First. I’m glad he’s gone. And this isn’t something I’ve told myself. The bridges you speak of are exactly why Mitch was happy to get rid of him.

Reactions: jwphelps
After initial success, his "players first" system could not produce victories. He failed here and he left.

BBN chased him off. Own it. Don't whine about it. You are right that we had 5 seasons not up to our standards. Winning 20 games a year will keep fans happy at most places but not here. When Cal read the tea leaves and jumped ship he saved this university a bucketful of money, so that's a positive.
By that piont Cal breached his contract. UK owed him nothing

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT