ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlyn Clark

Caveman Catfan

All-American
Sep 1, 2002
Do you believe her record setting career has any relationship to the record set by Pistol Pete?

Personally, I think her record is awesome, although I only think I have watched about 10 minutes total of women’s basketball this year, but I don’t think the record for women’s basketball has any relevance to the record for men’s basketball.

Do you believe her record setting career has any relationship to the record set by Pistol Pete?

Personally, I think her record is awesome, although I only think I have watched about 10 minutes total of women’s basketball this year, but I don’t think the record for women’s basketball has any relevance to the record for men’s basketball.
Especially because Pete's freshman year numbers aren't even included in his total. He averaged 40+/game that year too

Reactions: 80 Proof
Nocihttp at the jobsite
644b45cbd11cb.webp

In terms of records, I don't know why anyone is comparing basketball today with basketball in the 60's, much less comparing men's basketball in the 60's with women's basketball today.

For instance, Geno Auriemma has 11 National Titles. Would you take him to coach a men's team over prime Pitino or Jay Wright? What about John Wooden? Hell no. Likewise, would you hire Pitino to coach a women's team? Of course not. That's not a knock on Geno - it's a recognition that the games and players are different.

Caitlyn is a great ball player and I like to watch her highlights, but I don't know how you compare her to Pistol Pete.

No relationship to it because she'll have done it in far more games and with the 3 point line. I'd say the same if it was a guy getting ready to break it under those same circumstances. I hate getting old, but I'm glad I had the privilege of seeing Pistol Pete play at the college, especially with those epic games against UK and Issel. As for Clark, she's sensational and I'll catch a game or two in the tournament. Hopefully next year on NBA All Star weekend, they'll have another special 3 point contest and have Curry & Lillard vs Clark & Ionescu.

Reactions: mdlUK.1
If Clark breaks it AND plays in the NBA, it's relevant. I think that's a fair baseline. If a NKU men's player breaks Pete's record AND is good enough for the NBA, now, we're talking. But Clark couldn't even start for the NKU men's team. An elite NKU player COULD make the NBA. This is reality. So the OP has a valid point, even if it is not diplomatic. What's next, are we going to start asking whether a legendary female boxer, if one ever existed, should be compared with Tyson in his prime? What if she had more consecutive knock outs?

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
If Clark breaks it AND plays in the NBA, it's relevant. I think that's a fair baseline. If a NKU men's player breaks Pete's record AND is good enough for the NBA, now, we're talking. But Clark couldn't even start for the NKU men's team. An elite NKU player COULD make the NBA. This is reality. So the OP has a valid point, even if it is not diplomatic. What's next, are we going to start asking whether a legendary female boxer, if one ever existed, should be compared with Tyson in his prime? What if she had more consecutive knock outs?
Clark wouldnt even make the NKU men’s team.

Other than to point out that she has the chance to hold the D1 scoring record, I've not seen anyone comparing them as players

Other than to point out that she has the chance to hold the D1 scoring record, I've not seen anyone comparing them as players
They're absolutely comparing it as it was an equal accomplishment. It's not, though. If a 16 year prodigy has a 57 game hitting streak in high school, is he Joe DiMaggio? Yet, a true 16 year old high school baseball prodigy is far closer in baseball prowess to DiMaggio than Clark would ever be to Maravich in a million years. If she wins more WNBA titles than Jordan did with the Bulls, is she as legendary as Jordan?

Reactions: 80 Proof
Well, Serena Williams has more GS titles than Joker. Does that mean, in their prime, she was better and, thus, the GOAT? Gimme a break. By her own admission, Serena said she probably wouldn't get a game against the top men's players and the men just play a totally different game.

CC is a great woman's BB player. Could turn out to the the GOAT. But, make no mistake - she couldn't play D1 men's basketball much less NBA. Here's an eye opening fact: men and women are DIFFERENT! Saying she may be the best woman's BB player does not diminish anything for me, nor should it. It's just a classification that' relevant. Like saying so-and-so was the best KY HS basketball player.

The question wasn't whether media is reporting that she is close to breaking Maravich's record, it was whether the media is saying that her and Maravich are equals because of that. These articles and people on broadcasts have obviously been reporting the fact that she is close to having as many career points as Pistol. Most of those articles and broadcasts, while praising Clark for her accomplishments, point out the fact that she has played more games and has the benefit of 3 pointers. I have no idea why someone would be mad, offended, annoyed....whatever you want to call it, because someone would point out that Caitlin Clark is close to having scored more points in a career than any other NCAA basketball player. It must be exhausting spending the day trying to find things to be mad about.

The question wasn't whether media is reporting that she is close to breaking Maravich's record, it was whether the media is saying that her and Maravich are equals because of that. These articles and people on broadcasts have obviously been reporting the fact that she is close to having as many career points as Pistol. Most of those articles and broadcasts, while praising Clark for her accomplishments, point out the fact that she has played more games and has the benefit of 3 pointers. I have no idea why someone would be mad, offended, annoyed....whatever you want to call it, because someone would point out that Caitlin Clark is close to having scored more points in a career than any other NCAA basketball player. It must be exhausting spending the day trying to find things to be mad about.
They are also framing it as if there is a singular record to be broken. They are two different sports. There is no need to even mention men’s basketball or Maravich.

Let this woman have her moment without dragging her into these discussions.

Bet there is a D1 bowler who scored 300 in one game. His or her accomplishment is better than the most points ever scored by a NCAA men’s or women’s basketball player. Top of the single game scoring title for the bowler!

As stated herein by others, if an LSU men’s basketball player was about to pass Pete in the NCAA record book, most basketball fans would note that Pete did it in an era without the three point line and could place the asterisk next to the leader to show what he would have, points wise, had his threes been counted as twos.

But, the women’s game today is not the men’s game of Pete’s day. She would not be a scoring leader if you could zap her back in time and let her play on the court instead of Pete. It’s just not apples to apples.

Placing her on the line with men is, by its very nature, a comparison that makes no sense.

I agree that there should be different lists. The same way that Pat Summit and Geno Auriema should not be on the same list with Bobby Knight, Dean Smith, Rupp, etc. in terms of wins.

Having said that, I think it is okay to debate what she has accomplished in comparison to men, inasmuch as it is basketball. To me, the most impressive thing about her is that she has scored all of these points on a really good team that made the Final Four last year. Meaning that she has turned her team into a really good team.

It’s not really the same thing, but Jay Williams is an idiot for saying she’s not great. Not everyone is lucky enough to be surrounded by Duhon, Battier, Dunleavy, Boozer. Not to mention Coach K.

I have not watched her, but would assume the leading scorer in women’s basketball history is in the GOAT conversation for women’s basketball.

Reactions: Stan the caddy
I have not watched her, but would assume the leading scorer in women’s basketball history is in the GOAT conversation for women’s basketball.
Jay Williams says things that he thinks sound smart, but are absolutely idiotic. He was using the old NBA adage that you are not truly great unless you've won a championship. I've not heard that applied to college basketball. Pete Maravich never really played on a good team, much less a championship team. There are obviously many "great" college players who never won a title.

Jay Williams says things that he thinks sound smart, but are absolutely idiotic. He was using the old NBA adage that you are not truly great unless you've won a championship. I've not heard that applied to college basketball. Pete Maravich never really played on a good team, much less a championship team. There are obviously many "great" college players who never won a title.
By Jay Williams logic Robert Horry would be an all time great then.

I don't know why anybody gets that bothered about what Jay Williams says about a women's college basketball player, but I sort of agree with what he says and sort of don't.

- In the pros, I believe you have have to win a title to be considered the GOAT (or even in the conversation).
- In college its more of a crap shoot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT