ADVERTISEMENT

BYU Practice

Love how the majority of drills seem to be team drills. Team defense. Team offense etc. instead of an over emphasis on individual drills and skills.

You need both but the ratio should lean towards team drills. The individual stuff should be about improving individual pieces and then bringing it to the team concept and getting repetitions on how it all fits together…not just open scrimmaging

Love how the majority of drills seem to be team drills. Team defense. Team offense etc. instead of an over emphasis on individual drills and skills.

You need both but the ratio should lean towards team drills. The individual stuff should be about improving individual pieces and then bringing it to the team concept and getting repetitions on how it all fits together…not just open scrimmaging
They have practice time allotted for individual workouts with assistants per the NCAA. The teams are allowed to practice X number of hours but there are hours over and above that for individual or small group stuff like position specific drills.

Did Pope press at BYU? I would love to see it back like the Pitino days.

Cal had the teams to thrive pressing and wouldn't unless we were down 10+ with 2 mins or less left.
I think that was fading even as far back as 97.

Good modern squads tend to have too many ball handlers to do more than slow the other team down a bit.

Even Cal teams seldom had issues with presses and you know he wasn't investing a lot of time preparing for them.

Pressing is now a situational defense. Pope is going to use constant movement on offense to wear teams out.

I want more Dribble Drive, floppy action.

images

Good modern squads tend to have too many ball handlers to do more than slow the other team down a bit.

Even Cal teams seldom had issues with presses and you know he wasn't investing a lot of time preparing for them.

Pressing is now a situational defense. Pope is going to use constant movement on offense to wear teams out.
We'll see. I think it's much more about coaching and about the pieces you have to put on on the floor in order to make a press work. Pope is mostly about O so he might not press but I think he has the pieces if he gains a little more in depth. Either way, I bet we press 50% of the time....Just guessing of course.

Presses aren't just about what we do or immediate turnovers but a psychological CHANGE in aggression that the other team has to meet both mentally and physically.

I'd love to see us press 50/50! Just love it! The old adage is, you throw over the top of a press. That works...some times but again, it's not all about what happens on each play but about the mental and physical fatigue that hopefully creates turnovers and transition points. Just my 2 cents though. Back out of a good press and the other team mentally takes a play off...and makes a mistake, kinda thing.

Last edited:
We'll see. I think it's much more about coaching and about the pieces you have to put on on the floor in order to make a press work. Pope is mostly about O so he might not press but I think he has the pieces if he gains a little more in depth. Either way, I bet we press 50% of the time....Just guessing of course.

Presses aren't just about what we do or immediate turnovers but a psychological CHANGE in aggression that the other team has to meet both mentally and physically.

I'd love to see us press 50/50! Just love it! The old adage is, you throw over the top of a press. That works...some times but again, it's not all about what happens on each play but about the mental and physical fatigue that hopefully creates turnovers and transition points. Just my 2 cents though. Back out of a good press and the other team mentally takes a play off...and makes a mistake, kinda thing.
I agree. I’d love to see us press 50/50. Not only would the press wear a team down but also the constant ball and player movement on offense will wear them down as well.

I agree. I’d love to see us press 50/50. Not only would the press wear a team down but also the constant ball and player movement on offense will wear them down as well.
Oh, I love a good pressing defense. Two of the best ever were our Pitino teams and Nolan Richardson's Razorback teams, back then. His 40 minutes of HELL was for real. Gave us and a lot of teams fits. We were both very good and had some real battles with those teams. About as close as we'll ever be to a "rivalry" with that school, though. They were newcomers to the SEC and had something to prove for a while. Might be similar with Cal but I kinda doubt it, in the long haul. Might do more for a so called "rivalry" if Cal won the first game ...but screw that! Lol!

Oh, I love a good pressing defense. Two of the best ever were our Pitino teams and Nolan Richardson's Razorback teams, back then. His 40 minutes of HELL was for real. Gave us and a lot of teams fits. We were both very good and had some real battles with those teams. About as close as we'll ever be to a "rivalry" with that school, though. They were newcomers to the SEC and had something to prove for a while. Might be similar with Cal but I kinda doubt it, in the long haul. Might do more for a so called "rivalry" if Cal won the first game ...but screw that! Lol!
We played them first in Fayetteville last year and then they had the return trip to Rupp. Not sure how the SEC schedule works but wouldn’t we get them at home first this season? I can’t wait, I hope we beat the brakes off them.

surprised they didn’t all instantly die when any coach lowered their mask to actually be heard
It’s off topic but it drove me crazy to have to wear a mask while standing in a restaurant but can remove it when seated. Like the virus only travels at around 5 to 6 ft up 😂. I know you have to remove to eat, my point is why wear them at all? Common sense was lost

It’s off topic but it drove me crazy to have to wear a mask while standing in a restaurant but can remove it when seated. Like the virus only travels at around 5 to 6 ft up 😂. I know you have to remove to eat, my point is why wear them at all? Common sense was lost
I had to take a covid test for work and stopped at the bank right after getting the "all good". The bank made me wear a mask to enter even though I had the paper in my hand that said I didn't have the coof. LOL. I can't believe how we acted.

Agree Bluegrass

I have watched 5 BYU games from this past season. Coach Pope does seem to use the constant offensive movement to wear out the opposition. Playing defense is tiring and more so when you are chasing multiple cutters off multiple screens on a single offensive possession. Plus he plays 9/10 guys real minutes not just cameo appearances. Against a team with little depth, this offense will begin to take its toll during the last 10 minutes or so of the 2nd half. Plus our guys should still be relatively fresh during this same time.

Also noted that BYU seemed to have all 5 players crash the boards both on the offensive and defensive ends. They never seem to be just standing and watching unlike our previous coach’s penchant to have a lot of 1 on 1 play if the Gooo and Runnn offense did not succeed.

Pope’s 1st UK team will have the depth at each position to to play his style and a few more players may be on the way. The only negative is that all of our players are new to each other and it will take time leading to some spotty play and probably a few losses in the early season. Hopefully, these growing pains will begin to disappear by the start of SEC play. At least, we are going to have a veteran team from the start that will help get us through the tough times. I am optimistic that the Cats will be a tough team to beat late in the season.

I don’t know where people got the idea that coaches should coach during play. During play the coach is a cheerleader.

Reactions: Soupbean
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT