ADVERTISEMENT

BYU 21, UCF 3 early

Pope's the next UK coach despite all the nonsense around here with Oats, Musselman, Pearl, Pitino, Lloyd, Drew, etc.
I'll be beyond shocked if that's true.

Mark Pope hasn't won a tournament game. That probably changes this year. But he's had NO post-season success. The only reason anyone is interested in Pope is his UK connections. But, there is zero track record. Everyone else you mentioned has proven far more.

Scott Drew actually has a full blown national championship.

I'll be beyond shocked if that's true.

Mark Pope hasn't won a tournament game. That probably changes this year. But he's had NO post-season success. The only reason anyone is interested in Pope is his UK connections. But, there is zero track record. Everyone else you mentioned has proven far more.

Scott Drew actually has a full blown national championship.

You can't take that way from Drew, but I'll always believe the UCLA game took a lot out of Gonzaga in that final.

BYU pulling for them to win the Big 12 tourney and make a deep NCAA run as long as KY isn’t an opponent. Pope has done a fantastic job and hope if and when we hire a new coach he gets a look.

Reactions: Fox2monk
BYU pulling for them to win the Big 12 tourney and make a deep NCAA run as long as KY isn’t an opponent. Pope has done a fantastic job and hope if and when we hire a new coach he gets a look.
Can you elaborate on why you like him?

So far he has zero NCAA tournament wins. I suspect he'll win at least 1 or 2 games this year. But when I look at the best replacement candidates--Pope is so far down the list.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I never really got the whole Cal replacement threads.
1) We don't know when Cal is leaving.
2) When Cal eventually does hang it up, there will be brand new names to throw around at that time. Some coaches are the flavor of the month. These guys (most of them anyways) won't even be considered for the position. Lots can change from now until this happens.

BYU could theoretically leapfrog us in seeding if they make a run to Big 12 finals and we lose first game so would prefer they lose just in case

It's so wild watching a team carve up the other team's pressure defense for almost a half, then all of a sudden the whole team wants no part of the ball, leaving one dribbler to handle it himself. This is what Pitino knew better than anyone.

Can you elaborate on why you like him?

So far he has zero NCAA tournament wins. I suspect he'll win at least 1 or 2 games this year. But when I look at the best replacement candidates--Pope is so far down the list.
Didn’t say he would or should get it I’m sure KY can and would do better but I like his calm demeanor and his style of play. Doesn’t hurt he played for KY under Pitino.

I knew with 100% certainty when I read the thread title, the debate that would follow. ONLY a handful of post about the actual game (subject of the thread title). I guess the 1st thread wasn't enough Pope to UK, not to UK.

Last edited:
BYU could end up playing their first two tourny games essentially at home in SLC because they don’t play on Sundays, forcing them into one of two thurs/Saturday sites. They are currently projected to be a 5. Some 4 seed may get screwed (hopefully not us).

Pope's the next UK coach despite all the nonsense around here with Oats, Musselman, Pearl, Pitino, Lloyd, Drew, etc.
If you think people are upset at Calipari.... just go back and look at some of the games Pope has lost this year, and in past seasons. Coaching at BYU is a very unique job, probably one of the more difficult jobs in any major conference. So with that said Pope has done a great job building a solid team this year, but he would not be a great fit at UK.

Nobody is ever going to agree on who the next coach should be. There is no obvious choice out there. All we can hope is that it is someone who can recruit, and who can develop the talent. Having a coach that can only do one of those things (albeit at a very high level) makes things difficult.

If you think people are upset at Calipari.... just go back and look at some of the games Pope has lost this year, and in past seasons. Coaching at BYU is a very unique job, probably one of the more difficult jobs in any major conference. So with that said Pope has done a great job building a solid team this year, but he would not be a great fit at UK.
Who's your top choice?

I knew with 100% certainty when I read the thread title, the debate that would follow. ONLY a handful of post about the actual game (subject of the thread title). I guess the 1st thread wasn't enough Pope to UK, not to UK.

It's a dog crap game no one cared about. What did you expect people to discuss?

No one on here gives a crap about byu vs ucf.

It's a dog crap game no one cared about. What did you expect people to discuss?

No one on here gives a crap about byu vs ucf.
130304135230-popemobile-2010.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT