ADVERTISEMENT

Burks to UK

Says the same most say - just wants to play for Calipari, not UK. He even said "has nothing to do with this" (pointing to UK hat and jersey). It is what it is - that's our program's culture.

Hope he contributes.
The days of kids really wanting to play for a school and "tradition" are long gone. Sure, we'll have a few here and there (Reed is one), but most of them couldn't care less about a school's tradition - they're in it for NIL and getting to the NBA. And most kids are realizing that Cal is no longer the only option for a fast track to the NBA - plenty of kids are 1-and-done at other schools. Cal's schtick as the one coach that can get these kids into the NBA the fastest is now seen as nothin' much.

I pulled this off of what Lex 18 posted and what they had Burks as quoted as saying and to me he was a big fan of UK the school and not just Cal.

“I’ve always been big on Kentucky because of the atmosphere and the culture,” Burks said. “I’ve been watching since I was a kid and seeing all of the players develop and progress into pros and compete for titles every year made this a place I wanted to play at.

“I wanted to play with the top players in the country at the top basketball school in the country and develop my game under Coach Calipari, while working every day to win the national championship,” Burks said. “I want to help this team win a national championship and create a bond with my teammates on and off the court. I want to prepare myself to be in the best shape and be the most productive I can be for this team.”

Good statement

Glad to see UK going back to its roots with getting a core group to build around.

Hopefully Hart and Somoto then Perry and Johnson. Keep Reed around and add a couple stars and a portal need.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
I pulled this off of what Lex 18 posted and what they had Burks as quoted as saying and to me he was a big fan of UK the school and not just Cal.

“I’ve always been big on Kentucky because of the atmosphere and the culture,” Burks said. “I’ve been watching since I was a kid and seeing all of the players develop and progress into pros and compete for titles every year made this a place I wanted to play at.

“I wanted to play with the top players in the country at the top basketball school in the country and develop my game under Coach Calipari, while working every day to win the national championship,” Burks said. “I want to help this team win a national championship and create a bond with my teammates on and off the court. I want to prepare myself to be in the best shape and be the most productive I can be for this team.”

This sounds better. I hope he means it.

“Didn’t come to play for UK, just for Calipari” Even if that is the case, not a smart comment.
dude it's this way everywhere. None of these kids play for the schools. Maybe a few legacy kids like Reed but it's rare. They play for the coach and/or money. I don't care why he comes as long as he helps us win. But you are right, that's a ballsy comment albeit true.

Personally, I love having a kid or two on the roster who can just flat out score.

This is the kind of kid who comes into Rupp with Ole Miss and drops 30 on us on a random Tuesday night in January.

Might not be a contributor this year, but happy about this signing.

27 PPG and leading OTE in scoring doesn't happen by accident.
That Ole Miss kid you're referring to, has an issue though, he only does it that one time, he averages 5ppg against everyone else.

The days of kids really wanting to play for a school and "tradition" are long gone. Sure, we'll have a few here and there (Reed is one), but most of them couldn't care less about a school's tradition - they're in it for NIL and getting to the NBA. And most kids are realizing that Cal is no longer the only option for a fast track to the NBA - plenty of kids are 1-and-done at other schools. Cal's schtick as the one coach that can get these kids into the NBA the fastest is now seen as nothin' much.
Well, those days are long gone for us, because Cal created an NBA first culture, but if you look at the teams that have been successful each year, you'll see a bunch of players playing for the names on the front of their jersey. That’s why most of them are juniors and seniors and have only played for that one program.

Heck, Baylor still redshirts players, you don't redshirt, unless you're all in on the program.

Said he'd be going to play for Calipari whether he was at Umass, Memphis, wherever. He just happens to be at Kentucky so that's where he's going. Has "nothing to do with this" as he points to his hat and shirt.

Eek.

Yay something happened that wasn't bad.

National Lampoons Christmas Vacation GIF by HBO Max

• Haha
Reactions: kywildcat41086
IMO, that is some super revisionist history there... kids have said they picked UK because of our tradition over and over... it has been a major source of pride for BBN... don't take that away to rationalize Burk's statement. Glad he's here, and look forward to seeing him progress.
The difference now is we never had a coach that made it more about himself, than we do now.
Pitino

Said he'd be going to play for Calipari whether he was at Umass, Memphis, wherever. He just happens to be at Kentucky so that's where he's going. Has "nothing to do with this" as he points to his hat and shirt.

Eek.
I'll admit I had the same reaction but his comments were kinda out of left field.
UMass?
Burks wasn't born yet.
Memphis?
Cal left in 09. Burks was born in 04 or 05.
Idk if someone had told him what to say but it was kinda jumbled.
Strange comments from a kid his age.
I'll give him a pass this time.

Reactions: STL_Cat
I've watched a little tape on him (and not just highlight reels) and see some of the things you say. Don't have real high expectations for his first season but hoping he surprises me and is way better than some others are saying about him. He has real potential, hooe he realizes some of it this season and gives us a boost.
I’ve learned to have low expectations regardless of star numbers. Too many disappointments over the years.

Reactions: ORCAT

Reed isn't playing at UK for free either. If he can go pro in the NBA in less than 4 years he will as well.

As I said in my thread …at 6’10” looks very skilled to me …I compared him to Walter McCarty skill wise and physical stature …hopefully he can someday play like Walter
It’s likely that by the time he can play like Walter he will have already left Kentucky for the draft or transferred.

Reactions: tomrain
So I find a wiki on Overtime Elite. I read it and this qualifies as a high school? The teacher/student ratio is 4:1. So how are they able to attend college? Do they take tests to qualify?
This club even plays other high school teams. What am I missing here?

Lots of big names taking part in this club.

Is this just another version of IMG Academy?
I think I now know why Calipari has decided to revisit Atlanta to play a game.

Eek.
Didn't he say Kentucky was his dream school in the past? I think the dude running the podcast even threw that out there.

Further proof that the "dream school" never really matters.

I don't begrudge the kid for it. He wants to get to the NBA. Cal probably told him he sees his potential and if you come work hard and yada yada. Just is what it is. This is college basketball in 2023.

Him saying he’s here for Cal is a non issue 90% of the players come here for Cal. It’s up to us to show him was BBN really is and create a lifetime bond like a Cousins, Wall, Booker, KAT, etc etc

Reactions: mebeblue2
“Didn’t come to play for UK, just for Calipari” Even if that is the case, not a smart comment.
Why not? That's why most come to UK. The St John's fans that post here are raving about players wanting to play for their POS coach.

Why not? That's why most come to UK. The St John's fans that post here are raving about players wanting to play for their POS coach.
That same POS coach brought us back from the dead in the late 80’s early 90’s , had the best team ever in 1996 , went to the Championship in 1997, left Tubby the Championship team in 1998, played the most exciting brand of basketball in the 90’s and in UK history, teams feared us when they played us in the 90’s when he was our coach, and the guy never had a losing record when probation wasn’t holding him down. Yes that’s the same POS coach you speak of…… Man was you born after the 90’s?

• Love
Reactions: LmdCat
That same POS coach brought us back from the dead in the late 80’s early 90’s , had the best team ever in 1996 , went to the Championship in 1997, left Tubby the Championship team in 1998, played the most exciting brand of basketball in the 90’s and in UK history, teams feared us when they played us in the 90’s when he was our coach, and the guy never had a losing record when probation wasn’t holding him down. Yes that’s the same POS coach you speak of…… Man was you born after the 90’s?
are you talking about the same ul coach that flipped UK fans off after ul lost?

I believe Burks is like Thiero coming into a college. Very underrated, a ton of potential and also seems to have his head in the right place. I know he is another freshman, but we really needed him and I think the kid's commitment will really payoff for both parties. No kid this young is perfect, and all have some holes in their game. It's just about putting in the work to fill them holes as quickly as possible.
Underrated player at UK under Cal means lots of bench time.

He's an athlete, not just a tall guy. Quick release from a high point in his motion. He can dribble. Plays within a team concept.

Nice addition.
Wow! Sounds like the perfect addition to Cal's bench. Lol

Good news, but nothing that changes next season, IMO. He is the perfect 2-3 year guy but we all have seen how those guys work out.
People are honestly so starved to celebrate something it's sad.

This dude doesn't move the needle at all and will more than likely transfer after "failing" to be one or two and done based on previous results.

Lucy pulling the football doesn't really describe it fully at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT