ADVERTISEMENT

Burks to UK

“Didn’t come to play for UK, just for Calipari” Even if that is the case, not a smart comment.
Yeah - and likely orchestrated by Calipari... so he can say "See people are at UK for ME - NOT FOR YOU OR UK!" Sickening really. Have your moment Cal and puff your chest up over a player you would not have previously considered (You were just lazy and struck out on the off season).

Does UK need players? Sure - but who created that desperation? Will this player be good/produce? Who knows but that remark and attitude are awful. Kid is playing for Cal and himself (culture Cal creates) - not UK per his own words - so it's hard to be happy about him.

Any other off season this would be a "Meh...." commit.

Good news, but nothing that changes next season, IMO. He is the perfect 2-3 year guy but we all have seen how those guys work out.
Yup, at this point it's just hard to get excited about 4 star guys who should stay and develop for a few years. The last 15 years have been littered with guys who should have stayed and been great upperclassmen but bolted after a year for whatever reason.

Thor-UK-g2.gif

Not something you hear often, even if it’s most likely true for most recruits.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Cal told him to work that line into his interviews.
I didn't hear the exact comment, but the irony is while he came here to play for Calipari, his goal is to play as little as possible.. That's the goal of all of them.

Wait till you see this kid's handle at his size you will be impressed and he can put a basketball inside the hoop. I like his game...maybe you can tell that
I've watched a little tape on him (and not just highlight reels) and see some of the things you say. Don't have real high expectations for his first season but hoping he surprises me and is way better than some others are saying about him. He has real potential, hooe he realizes some of it this season and gives us a boost.

Says the same most say - just wants to play for Calipari, not UK. He even said "has nothing to do with this" (pointing to UK hat and jersey). It is what it is - that's our program's culture.

Hope he contributes.
But he also said he was a visionary and spoke playing for UK into existence at the age of 9 or 10.
Solid pickup and a change of momentum the program needed. Let's keep the good rolling.

unless a player is born and raised a fan of a school most pick a school for the coach
this is nothing new it went on during Rupp's time and is still going on
i am glad to have a recruit being honest about it
IMO, that is some super revisionist history there... kids have said they picked UK because of our tradition over and over... it has been a major source of pride for BBN... don't take that away to rationalize Burk's statement. Glad he's here, and look forward to seeing him progress.
The difference now is we never had a coach that made it more about himself, than we do now.

Reactions: Kuhldaddy
No idea, I’m on a plane. Just browsing the webs.
This raises a completely unrelated question, if you don't mind. On most flights today is it still necessary to put your phone in "airplane mode?"

This raises a completely unrelated question, if you don't mind. On most flights today is it still necessary to put your phone in "airplane mode?"
Necessary? I have no idea. But I know you still are asked to.

Reactions: G-PIP
Personally, I love having a kid or two on the roster who can just flat out score.

This is the kind of kid who comes into Rupp with Ole Miss and drops 30 on us on a random Tuesday night in January.

Might not be a contributor this year, but happy about this signing.

27 PPG and leading OTE in scoring doesn't happen by accident.

Reactions: University-6
I didn't hear the exact comment, but the irony is while he came here to play for Calipari, his goal is to play as little as possible.. That's the goal of all of them.
When asked about how he was approaching it, his reply was that he’d let the process work itself out or something to that extent. Wasn’t pushing he needed to be out in a year. Seemed to have somewhat realistic expectations.

Personally, I love having a kid or two on the roster who can just flat out score.

This is the kind of kid who comes into Rupp with Ole Miss and drops 30 on us on a random Tuesday night in January.

Might not be a contributor this year, but happy about this signing.

27 PPG and leading OTE in scoring doesn't happen by accident.
He’s got some footwork and he’s long with a decent shot/release point. If he puts in the work he could be a solid college contributor at some point.

Says the same most say - just wants to play for Calipari, not UK. He even said "has nothing to do with this" (pointing to UK hat and jersey). It is what it is - that's our program's culture.

Hope he contributes.
I NEVER heard one of Hall’s, Pitino’s, Smith’s or even Sutton or Billy Clyde’s players be so adamant to point out that he is coming STRICTLY for the coach ONLY!!! I don’t recall it happening at Duke, UNC or KU either.

Wonder if he’ll feel the same after Cal BURIES him at the end of the bench and yanks him out after his first mistake when he does get in?

Cal has TOTALLY discarded what was the BIGGEST asset in ALL of college basketball, the #BBN.

SAD

• Haha
Reactions: crawfords corner
The kid has transferred to 6 different schools his last two years I read and some are gullible enough to believe he will stick around and develop under the king of transfers? Color me skeptical.
Intriguing talent and we desperately need bodies but his background does not read like someone grounded in reality and willing to grind over time. We shall see.

Reactions: delk4three
I pulled this off of what Lex 18 posted and what they had Burks as quoted as saying and to me he was a big fan of UK the school and not just Cal.

“I’ve always been big on Kentucky because of the atmosphere and the culture,” Burks said. “I’ve been watching since I was a kid and seeing all of the players develop and progress into pros and compete for titles every year made this a place I wanted to play at.

“I wanted to play with the top players in the country at the top basketball school in the country and develop my game under Coach Calipari, while working every day to win the national championship,” Burks said. “I want to help this team win a national championship and create a bond with my teammates on and off the court. I want to prepare myself to be in the best shape and be the most productive I can be for this team.”

Last edited:
Justin Edwards seemed to be hinting at another commitment on IG. "That's one" Could be seen as the number Burks is wearing but I don't believe so.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Somto perhaps? :eyes:
You would imagine that is who it would be considering I'm sure he talked to him on the visit.

I am still wanting some type of Jr/Sr transfer of any kind. I'm fine with being very young and getting a bunch of pieces that could hit but would love a guy that could at the very least lead in the locker room because they have been in college.

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
I NEVER heard one of Hall’s, Pitino’s, Smith’s or even Sutton or Billy Clyde’s players be so adamant to point out that he is coming STRICTLY for the coach ONLY!!! I don’t recall it happening at Duke, UNC or KU either.

Wonder if he’ll feel the same after Cal BURIES him at the end of the bench and yanks him out after his first mistake when he does get in?

Cal has TOTALLY discarded what was the BIGGEST asset in ALL of college basketball, the #BBN.

SAD
Jamal Mashburn was the same

I pulled this of off what Lex 18 posted and what they had Burks as quoted as saying and to me he was a big fan of UK the school and not just Cal.

“I’ve always been big on Kentucky because of the atmosphere and the culture,” Burks said. “I’ve been watching since I was a kid and seeing all of the players develop and progress into pros and compete for titles every year made this a place I wanted to play at.

“I wanted to play with the top players in the country at the top basketball school in the country and develop my game under Coach Calipari, while working every day to win the national championship,” Burks said. “I want to help this team win a national championship and create a bond with my teammates on and off the court. I want to prepare myself to be in the best shape and be the most productive I can be for this team.”

Reactions: kywildcat41086

SAD
In fairness if you listened to the whole interview, he was struggling to answer the questions or articulate complete answers.
He's a HS kid who's had no media training.

I believe Burks is like Thiero coming into a college. Very underrated, a ton of potential and also seems to have his head in the right place. I know he is another freshman, but we really needed him and I think the kid's commitment will really payoff for both parties. No kid this young is perfect, and all have some holes in their game. It's just about putting in the work to fill them holes as quickly as possible.
One year on the bench....then the portal...or did you forget who the coach is?

Kentucky fans will love him in spite of the comments if he works hard and gets better and plays for the uniform

I don’t know if Cal had him say that or not. I don’t like Cal but I can’t assume everything he does is terrible

Burks won’t play much. And if he does, he won’t be making any of the moves you see in that video. He’ll be watching the other freshman with the ball in their hands or he’ll be running the ball hand-off play 3 feet past the three point line

It is odd he wants to play here solely for Cal. He wants to come but all the other players that have played for him want to bolt

When he says he chose Cal over Kentucky, he’s already missed the best part of Kentucky basketball

Last edited:
Reactions: catben
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT