ADVERTISEMENT

Building a house

No it is - that’s why I negotiated with the buyer we can move out whenever we want I just lied to the builder saying it has to 8/31 to light a fire under his ass
2 weeks out from closing I toured our new home and was shocked at how much needed to be done. I lit into my builder and told him the contract was clear in when the closing was and it better be done on that date. We had a respectful relationship throughout the process but he knew when I meant business. He got it done on time. Sometimes you just have to light a fire under these guys because if you don't they will drag their feet until you do.

Inspection came back - guess there is a 1/16 inch crack in the wall of the basement and it’s bowing out 3/4 of an inch. This freaked out the buyers because they had foundation issues in their last house so they backed out. Now trying to figure out if we just caulk it and paint it or spend 5500 fixing it before re-listing. 🤢 Christ the shit just never ends.

What is the scope for the $5500 repair?

8 steel beams all along the one wall I believe - with concrete filling in any gaps between wall and said beams, and wood supports around the beams. Job would take 1 day. (Which is hilarious to me as trying to get a f*cking bathroom painted in the new house takes a week).

8 steel beams all along the one wall I believe - with concrete filling in any gaps between wall and said beams, and wood supports around the beams. Job would take 1 day. (Which is hilarious to me as trying to get a f*cking bathroom painted in the new house takes a week).

Did they pull out entirely or counter with conditions?

Forgive my ignorance here, but do “as is” offers always allow for inspection outs?

Good question and it probably varies. Had a realtor tell us once that you can always get out of a contract before closing. Not sure how accurate that is but usually you give up the earnest money and both parties move on from it.

Forgive my ignorance here, but do “as is” offers always allow for inspection outs?

Yes - there is “as is” where the buyer agrees to not come back with minor issues (window is broken, dishwasher doesn’t work, etc) but you can still decline based on major issues with an inspection (crack in foundation). Now a couple years ago when things were insane people were doing both as is AND no inspection, which is crazy. In those instances they could have bought a house that was about to collapse and still would have been on the hook.

Inspection came back - guess there is a 1/16 inch crack in the wall of the basement and it’s bowing out 3/4 of an inch. This freaked out the buyers because they had foundation issues in their last house so they backed out. Now trying to figure out if we just caulk it and paint it or spend 5500 fixing it before re-listing. 🤢 Christ the shit just never ends.
I wouldn't do a damned thing. All concrete has cracks. That inspector is a turd.

Have had foundation issues before so it would concern me as well because it can be a major expense to fix. That said, if I really wanted the house I would get a structural engineer to take a look and not a regular home inspector. Used one not too long ago that cost around $500. In this day and time of trying to find a home that is a pretty dang good bargain to get to the bottom of the issue.

That being said, the issue you have now is that you are now aware of the potential problem so if someone else buys it and it ends up being as bad as the inspector says it is and you do not disclose it you could have a real problem on your hands. Not a lawyer but have heard of it happening before.

Have had foundation issues before so it would concern me as well because it can be a major expense to fix. That said, if I really wanted the house I would get a structural engineer to take a look and not a regular home inspector. Used one not too long ago that cost around $500. In this day and time of trying to find a home that is a pretty dang good bargain to get to the bottom of the issue.

That being said, the issue you have now is that you are now aware of the potential problem so if someone else buys it and it ends up being as bad as the inspector says it is and you do not disclose it you could have a real problem on your hands. Not a lawyer but have heard of it happening before.

Yup, it’s called a residential disclosure agreement. It doesn’t have to be fixed by me, it just needs to be reported to a potential buyer and I have to have a known solution to it. However, we had it checked out by the foundation company and it’s not at the point of needing fixed yet. Hopefully it doesn’t screw anything up with a next buyer but we’ll see.

Reactions: 80 Proof
We move into our home tomorrow. Wild last few weeks. 1st kid born, trying to pack up as we go, get the new house ready, and prep for the new tenant in our current home (thankfully it's the Sister in law).. all while operating on small chunks of sleep with a new born.

I just can't wait for the added space. Double the square footage. Extra Bedroom. 3 bathrooms instead of 1. Two living areas instead of one. Multiple floors to spread out.

Cleaning air ducts before/during moving into a house, yay or nay?

Stanley Steamer quoted me roughly $800 to clean out the furnace and vacuum out roughly 25 supply and return points. The only reason I even looked into this, is that when we moved in, the AC was low, and I got some whifs of stale air.. sometimes musty and sometimes a little bit like stale smoke (we think past owners might have been smokers, but there are no smells now).

I do need to get the fireplace chimney cleaned, and we turned on an old 2nd floor ceiling in-take fan, which we think might have kicked some shit up... but figured it might be worth it to get it done and start off with some fresher air.

Cleaning air ducts before/during moving into a house, yay or nay?

Stanley Steamer quoted me roughly $800 to clean out the furnace and vacuum out roughly 25 supply and return points. The only reason I even looked into this, is that when we moved in, the AC was low, and I got some whifs of stale air.. sometimes musty and sometimes a little bit like stale smoke (we think past owners might have been smokers, but there are no smells now).

I do need to get the fireplace chimney cleaned, and we turned on an old 2nd floor ceiling in-take fan, which we think might have kicked some shit up... but figured it might be worth it to get it done and start off with some fresher air.
Never done it. Would say if it’s an older home/air ducts then may be worth it. Otherwise, if you have the extra cash then go for it.

Got our kitchen quartz installed today. So all countertops are in except master bathroom. All lighting was finished this past week as well. We are getting very close. Not many more things to check off the list.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
So I just said screw it and took ukalumni00’s advice and got a structural engineer to look at the basement Friday. After inspecting it for a good while he looked at me and said “I have no clue WTF that inspector was looking at this thing is perfectly fine and has no issues whatsoever”. So after getting that report we listed it again on the market starting today and had a showing this evening. Showings the rest of the week and then open house on Sunday so hopefully we can get this damn house sold and be done with this shit. God screw that inspector. I think I’m also going to get this structural engineer to inspect my house before I move in just for peace of mind, said he’s do it for a grand so seemed worth it.

Well, 1- that’s a phone call conversation not an email deal. 2- won’t that make this project an 18 month deal? Sheesh!!

- on another note I’m about to start a build myself I think. We want to list in December and have everything done and ready once summer is here. Should be fun.

Building on a sink hole idea?

Well, 1- that’s a phone call conversation not an email deal. 2- won’t that make this project an 18 month deal? Sheesh!!

- on another note I’m about to start a build myself I think. We want to list in December and have everything done and ready once summer is here. Should be fun.

Building on a sink hole idea?

19 months from pouring foundation, 22 months from signing loan, good times!

I understand I’m supposed to call and yell and demand etc etc from everyone that ever talks to me about this but I have no interest in throwing around false threats and cause tension with the guy that’s building a house I’m supposed to live in for the next 25 years.

Good luck with the house build, I would imagine with your connections and general timing it should go much smoother

Reactions: DanCat17
19 months from pouring foundation, 22 months from signing loan, good times!

I understand I’m supposed to call and yell and demand etc etc from everyone that ever talks to me about this but I have no interest in throwing around false threats and cause tension with the guy that’s building a house I’m supposed to live in for the next 25 years.

Good luck with the house build, I would imagine with your connections and general timing it should go much smoother
Agree with this. There have been times I have been frustrated. But we are near end, and I’m not going to sour an otherwise good relationship this late in the game.

Plus, I asked around, and was told a year and a half isn’t crazy for a bigger custom house.

Finally got an offer after 38 days on the market. We accepted. Buyers are getting a VA loan, so there will be hoops but the offer is near current asking and, if it goes through, still leaves a solid profit.

I feel like I am selling a house in 2018 rather than 2023. Maybe things are finally getting back to normal.

Reactions: 80 Proof
So I just said screw it and took ukalumni00’s advice and got a structural engineer to look at the basement Friday. After inspecting it for a good while he looked at me and said “I have no clue WTF that inspector was looking at this thing is perfectly fine and has no issues whatsoever”. So after getting that report we listed it again on the market starting today and had a showing this evening. Showings the rest of the week and then open house on Sunday so hopefully we can get this damn house sold and be done with this shit. God screw that inspector. I think I’m also going to get this structural engineer to inspect my house before I move in just for peace of mind, said he’s do it for a grand so seemed worth it.
Good call having one come out. Nobody likes the expense of hiring one but the peace of mind when they say everything is good or this is how something needs to be done correctly when messing with the structural integrity of a home is well worth the cost. Now, you have documentation from a professional engineer stating that the crack is not an issue and negates other inspectors from trying to pull the same crap.

Well we found another buyer for our house, and we just had the 2nd inspection, but what’s funny is it’s the same exact inspection company. And even funnier is we have all the things they talked about in their inspection being wrong with the house being essentially full of shit, so we’ll see how that goes. Should hear back hopefully Monday. We were lucky in that they were fine not moving in until October 27th, however they will close on their loan September 6th and will be paying the mortgage for 2 months while we live in the house for free so it was actually a better deal than first offer. Told my builder they will receive no funds from me until the house is completed and it needs to be by October 10th so we’ll see what happens. I currently have ONE worker tiling the entire house. One.

Well we found another buyer for our house, and we just had the 2nd inspection, but what’s funny is it’s the same exact inspection company. And even funnier is we have all the things they talked about in their inspection being wrong with the house being essentially full of shit, so we’ll see how that goes. Should hear back hopefully Monday. We were lucky in that they were fine not moving in until October 27th, however they will close on their loan September 6th and will be paying the mortgage for 2 months while we live in the house for free so it was actually a better deal than first offer. Told my builder they will receive no funds from me until the house is completed and it needs to be by October 10th so we’ll see what happens. I currently have ONE worker tiling the entire house. One.

Get to tiling, Ron...

I taught you how to use a plunger for a reason...

• Haha
Just my opinion looking a thousand miles away based on your previous posts, but appears you hired real dud of a contractor. He either has terrible subcontractor relationships which is why it's taking so long to get your house done or he has other bigger projects he keeps putting your house to the side for. To send you an email that he is still behind after all these months is such a pu$$y move and tells me all I need to know about this guy.

Just my opinion looking a thousand miles away based on your previous posts, but appears you hired real dud of a contractor. He either has terrible subcontractor relationships which is why it's taking so long to get your house done or he has other bigger projects he keeps putting your house to the side for. To send you an email that he is still behind after all these months is such a pu$$y move and tells me all I need to know about this guy.

I dont know if there is still a labor shortage in the industry or not - but if there is I can see it in our build. There was ONE guy painting the house last week. The house is big. It’s been very frustrating. Thankfully anyone I’ve showed it to that knows what they’re looking at says the quality looks really good.

Reactions: WayneDougan
I like to think the contractor, painter, tiler, etc. are all the same guy wearing disguises and the reality show of duping a home owner into a multi-year build is going to be released on Netflix when the house is finished in 2026.

Not being in the area I can tell you my guys at the 84 lumber there said they had just gotten his business for 1 house and yours was the second they did with him. They were happy I did the material takeoff for them because it was more complex than the other house.

That tells me maybe he does smaller houses where maybe 1 painter/tiler works.

Most of my builders have a two man tiling crew. 1 measures and places tile the other cuts. That is on 3200 SQ houses so I can’t imagine what his sub is thinking.

But I’d also being saying something to him as we go too. He is well aware homeowners get pushy toward the end so might as well play the role!

Reading part of this thread, all I can say is be happy you started in 2021. We are breaking ground on our dream home within a few weeks, and the sticker shock is astounding. Haven’t paid close attention to real estate the last few years and planned on spending in the 7 to 800 range, which was extremely reasonable not even 5 years ago. We are up to 1.2 mil and had to sacrifice a few wants in the process. It’s absolutely crazy.

Fingers crossed the build goes well…

Reading part of this thread, all I can say is be happy you started in 2021. We are breaking ground on our dream home within a few weeks, and the sticker shock is astounding. Haven’t paid close attention to real estate the last few years and planned on spending in the 7 to 800 range, which was extremely reasonable not even 5 years ago. We are up to 1.2 mil and had to sacrifice a few wants in the process. It’s absolutely crazy.

Fingers crossed the build goes well…
There was a time when having a $1.2M home was considered being rich. Although still expensive it’s becoming more of the norm now (pending where you live). Heck, a brand new 2 story basic tract home is over $600k now. We built our home for around $750k about 4 years ago (5000sq feet with all the fixings) and it’s worth around $1.4 now since I completed the basement. I have zero clue how younger folks without a lot of funds can afford a home especially with these interest rates. If we were in the market no way am I getting a loan at these prices now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT