ADVERTISEMENT

Bring back the Power K

I can honestly say this is one subject that I could care less about. Which one they use is fine with me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Caveman Catfan
I would like to see a picture of it also. I think I know what you mean and if I am correct I tried to find a license plate of one for my new white SUV and could not find one. Do you mean a simple very bold blue K on white background? No U. If so I think it is a great look. Simple . Clean. Elegant.

I would like to see a picture of it also. I think I know what you mean and if I am correct I tried to find a license plate of one for my new white SUV and could not find one. Do you mean a simple very bold blue K on white background? No U. If so I think it is a great look. Simple . Clean. Elegant.

The Black Watch K is RMP's avatar. Curry put the black outline on the regular K that originated in the Curci era. We copied that from UT. They went to it in 73 and we stole it in 75.

Wildman, as bad as you hate the vols I don't know why you want us to go back to something we ripped off from them.

ukfootballhelmets-500x871.jpg

I do hate me some UT but and understand the K is from an era where we didn't have the most success. I think I just associate it with UK football because that's what we wore when I starting getting addicted to Kentucky football. I like the plain K better but it is a little too UTish. The black watch K added a little difference and had that true SEC look. I just think the interlocking UK looks too generic. It's good for the overall logo but I like a helmet logo that pops and the power K did. I really like the outline of the state with the Wildcat head but I think that should be reserved as a special helmet for throwback games.

Reactions: Kooky Kats
The Power K is awesome. Kentucky should use it at least once a season. I'm thinking the UL game would be the perfect opportunity to bring back the Power K.

I currently cannot find any reference but I do recall a discussion about the UK's use of the power K and one of the issues w
Title says it all. WTH do we have to do as a fan base to get the administration to hear us? Bring back the Power K!
Says the man with an interlocking UK football helment for an avatar.

Reactions: eacsxt and CB3UK
You gonna leave us in suspense or what?
LOL...something I started writing yesterday and had something come up and never finished. I stopped to try and find some additional info and never got back to it. This new message board obviously saves your drafts.

I was going to say that I recall some discussion about one of the reasons for the change from the power K to the interlocking UK had to do with trademark issues. The trademark issues affected licensing agreements...which affects $$$.

Last edited:
I currently cannot find any reference but I do recall a discussion about the UK's use of the power K and one of the issues w

Says the man with an interlocking UK football helment for an avatar.
lmao the irony wasn't lost on me when I first saw the post after submitting it.

I always liked the State logo with the Cat head used by Fran Curci. That would look good at mid-field.
yes, I forgot but seeing them all together, the years with the cat look best...we could use that logo on some new fandangled helmet...flat, or shiny...or flat black. would love to see us use a couple of throwbacks for big games.

Please no power K, please.

I know many of what I'll call our "more seasoned" fans love/miss the old days and our old ways of doing things, but I don't think most of the fanbase feels the same way.

It's called brand recognition. Completely changing the brand logo at this point would do nothing but hurt the program.

Also, if we were going to do anything with the logo it seems like we'd be clamoring about making the logo have MORE detail and characteristics, not simplify it by making it a single-letter block K.

The nation recognizes us as UK, not "K". If we're going to do anything let's bring back the old wildcat or add the outline of Kentucky. Those things would do a heck of a lot more for most fans than a plain block style K.

Last edited:
…...It's called brand recognition. Completely changing the brand logo at this point would do nothing but hurt the program.

The nation recognizes us as UK, not "K".

The nation recognizes University of Georgia as "UGA"….but they seem to "survive" with just the distinctive "G" on their helmets. University of Nebraska=N; University of Tennessee=T; University of Wisconsin=W; Stanford University=S; University of Arizona=A; and so on…..it works for universities who use a single letter on the helmet without the "U."

As far as "UK" for brand recognition, the power of the "UK" is overplayed IMO…..I spend a lot of time overseas, and when I wear the UK logo outside the US, I get almost universal recognition as representing the United Kingdom.

Either way, at a minimum….they should break out the Power K on white helmets for homecoming each year!

GBB!

The nation recognizes University of Georgia as "UGA"….but they seem to "survive" with just the distinctive "G" on their helmets. University of Nebraska=N; University of Tennessee=T; University of Wisconsin=W; Stanford University=S; University of Arizona=A; and so on…..it works for universities who use a single letter on the helmet without the "U."

As far as "UK" for brand recognition, the power of the "UK" is overplayed IMO…..I spend a lot of time overseas, and when I wear the UK logo outside the US, I get almost universal recognition as representing the United Kingdom.

Either way, at a minimum….they should break out the Power K on white helmets for homecoming each year!

GBB!
I've Googled on UK stuff many a time only to get United Kingdom crap... The logo we have shows a lack of creativity and has since it was initiated...And the recent "new & improved" logo will go unnoticed by 99.9% of fans and 100% of those not .... Does it bother me?... No!... But if a person asks someone, who they for??? They'll most often say "Kentucky" and far less often "UK"... And I think this runs true in most places but I haven't done a study... What we forget sometimes is that these decisions are made by people the University employs that weren't from around these parts.... They are fans of Kentucky" because the check they get on Friday makes it so............ And I'm talking about you Barnfart.

I don't see what the problem is with just making it football exclusive if nothing else. The basketball team never work the Power K if I recall correctly. It seems that they always had the more vertical UK, if not even a cheap looking separated UK until they started with Nike's gimmick logo.
USATSI_5989152-620x895.jpg
Pelphrey1.jpg
uk1_zoom.jpg

I always have liked the power K, of all the helmets we have had through the years since the late 60'S, they just look tougher when they have that on.

Reactions: .S&C.
These are pretty sweet.

9bb028fe6a6b9ebe42fb8020fb014f5d.jpg
Close-up it looks good. From a distance on TV, I believe the old-style cat head would look like a wadded up ball of string on the side of the helmet. You need very clear, sharp and distinct logos for helmets.....that are discernable from a distance. Too much "art" detail in the old UK wildcat face for a helmet IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT