ADVERTISEMENT

Billy Donovan or Scott Drew

Who would you rather hire to be UK's coach?

• Scott Drew

Votes: 58 38.2%
  • Billy Donovan

Votes: 94 61.8%

• Total voters
I'd be ridiculously happy with either. If forced to rank in preference, I'd go Drew, though.

I think Billy might absolutely kill it here. At the same time, I think he has a higher chance of not doing well. And his college success is so long ago at this point...plus the college basketball realm has changed dramatically since then.

I think more people are accepting of Billy at this point because you can't point to a recent college failure with him. At the same time, you can't really point to a recent success either.

I hope Scott Drew has some people monitoring sites like this and social media. Hopefully he is seeing UK fans do not want him here.

Billy D is my top choice even over Hurley. Like Cal in 2009, he just seems like the perfect fit at the perfect time.

That said, I'd be fine with Drew and think he would do well here.

• Love
Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush
Drew. And he's like my 5th choice. I'd much prefer Hurley, Oats, Pearl. Well maybe he's 4th.

Donovan left due to the rigors of recruiting, it's worse now. He's not a spring chicken. He turned us down twice already, yes I'm vindictive. He's been removed from the college game a long time.

Reactions: FrankUnderwoodX
Billy Donovan was my number 1. I prefer the Pitino style of ball and Donovan is from his coaching tree. I know that if we wait Donovan out this year's team will suffer greatly.

I have no issue with Scott Drew. I think he will be very successful here. I also seeing him putting together a really good team year 1 vs waiting on Donovan.

Scott Drew, Billy Donovan can’t bring his players with him and if he doesn’t come for a month there will be no players on the team next year.
That invented these people called assistant coaches years ago. They can and often do handle a lot of that. We routinely see football coaches hired by a new school finishing out the season with the former. They get assistants in place at their new job to get things going while they are finishing up at the old. No reason Donovan can't do the same. He can also opt to just leave the Bulls. They aren't going deep anyway.

I hope Scott Drew has some people monitoring sites like this and social media. Hopefully he is seeing UK fans do not want him here.
I don't think it's that we don't want him here. He's just not many people's top choice. I've only seen a few people outright say they would never want him.

If we get Drew and he brings VJ with him, then that's huge in my opinion. Even though I prefer Donovan long term, I do think year one will be tough with him. If either can get Reed and some pieces to return, then Drew's ceiling is infinitely higher year one than Billy.

Would be happy with either, but slight edge to Drew because I do have some concerns about Billy re-adapting to the modern college game.

The college basketball he left a decade ago is not the same. You can't win a title with a front court of Joakim Noah and Al Horford in 2024, but more importantly, we now have the transfer portal and NIL.

Tasked with rebuilding an entire roster from scratch, with nobody able to follow him from his current place of employment (obviously), I'm just not sure what that would look like.

Maybe he figures it out and it's a non-issue, but that worry is reason enough to me to give a slight edge to Drew.

My order:

1. Hurley
2. Drew
3. Donovan
-------------------
*Hopefully we don't make it below that line*
4. Pearl
5. Lloyd

Billy D is my top choice even over Hurley. Like Cal in 2009, he just seems like the perfect fit at the perfect time.

That said, I'd be fine with Drew and think he would do well here.
Would you care to elaborate why he's the perfect fit?

Would be happy with either, but slight edge to Drew because I do have some concerns about Billy re-adapting to the modern college game.

The college basketball he left a decade ago is not the same. Tasked with rebuilding an entire roster from scratch, with nobody able to follow him from his current place of employment (obviously), I'm just not sure what that would look like.

Maybe he figures it out and it's a non-issue, but that worry is reason enough to me to give a slight edge to Drew.

My order:

1. Hurley
2. Drew
3. Donovan
This is very similar to my way of thinking.

the office laughing GIF

Donovan is the first choice, then if he said no I'd call Pearl. Drew is an OK coach but he's my last option.

If I have to choose between the two. Give me four final fours and two national championships and a boatload of NBA experience.
National Championships that were 20 years ago.

And what does NBA experience get us? I'm sick of the NBA at this point.

Reactions: blubo
National Championships that were 20 years ago.

And what does NBA experience get us? I'm sick of the NBA at this point.
You don’t think high school kids and transfers wouldn’t wanna play for a coach that knows what it takes for you to be an NBA player?

Scott Drew, Billy Donovan can’t bring his players with him and if he doesn’t come for a month there will be no players on the team next year.
You do know I hope coaches typically only "bring with them" 1-2 (maybe 3) players (including recruits).

Also bringing in a recent NBA coach may help retain 1-2 more players / recruits. So that aspect may be a wash.

Would you care to elaborate why he's the perfect fit?
1. He's a hire that I think 90% of UK fans would unite behind.
2. He's from the Pitino tree and plays a style that our fans like.
3. He has tons of NBA connections and will recruit very well because of it.
4. He knows how to build a championship roster of multi-year players.
5. He understands the history and tradition of UK and would likely have a strong desire to bring us a title.
6. He's already scratched his NBA itch.
7. He will be very well received by the old guard boosters at UK who will keep the NIL money flowing.

Reactions: Catfan2226
That's not a valid reason to base the hire of a coach for your program. That's very short term thinking.
Not taking Billy because Drew already has a recruiting class is short term thinking as well. Another half baked argument that keeps being bandied about by establishment connected individuals. So which is it? Can't have it both ways.

1. He's a hire that I think 90% of UK fans would unite behind.
2. He's from the Pitino tree and plays a style that our fans like.
3. He has tons of NBA connections and will recruit very well because of it.
4. He knows how to build a championship roster of multi-year players.
5. He understands the history and tradition of UK and would likely have a strong desire to bring us a title.
6. He's already scratched his NBA itch.
7. He will be very well received by the old guard boosters at UK who will keep the NIL money flowing.
Nailed it

I'd be fine with both but I would lean Drew just because he has been in the college game already and Billy has been out of it so long. Both come with reservations. Outside of Drew's title run his tournament record isn't great and Donovan hasn't dealt with NIL and hasn't recruited in years.

Reactions: sefus12
Donovan has the higher long term ceiling but also is a possible bust given his time away from the college game. Drew is the safer choice of the two and would have us in a much better position year one.

Reactions: blubo and know1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT