ADVERTISEMENT

Bike trails around Lexington?/Cycling Thread

gollumcat

Senior
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
Are there any decent paved, off -road trails around Lexington? Will be in LEX soon and want to get a ride in, but I'm not a huge fan of road-riding anymore. Let me know the particulars if anybody has any info.

Thanks....
Gollum

Its on road but has a lot of cyclists and is really beautiful horse country, try Spurr Road and Yarnalton, between Georgetown, Lexington, and Midway. You can head out from the back of Masterson Station.

Can we make this into a Cycling Thread? I'm actually exploring options to bike to work, which is only 2 miles in distance. The beauty of it is that I don't have to use a main road at all: It's all neighborhoods, and a few campus' to get from one end to another. Looking into grabbing a commuter bike, but aside from the name of it, I have ZERO idea what to look for.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Legacy Trail is a great little ride. I use it to get out to the country roads and ride it 3-4 times per week. I believe from the YMCA trail-head to the Horsepark is about 8.5 miles. Only a few road crossings.

As for a commuter bike, I'd pick up a single speed off craigslist for $100-200.

Reactions: LineSkiCat
Can we make this into a Cycling Thread? I'm actually exploring options to bike to work, which is only 2 miles in distance. The beauty of it is that I don't have to use a main road at all: It's all neighborhoods, and a few campus' to get from one end to another. Looking into grabbing a commuter bike, but aside from the name of it, I have ZERO idea what to look for.
+1. We had a decent cycling thread 2-3 years ago. Perhaps the OP can edit the name.

Reactions: LineSkiCat
I've commuted to work via bicycle off and on for 30+ years in 4 different cities with commutes ranging from 5 to 25 miles each way. Be careful in neighborhoods as you have driveways and cross-streets with people getting all of their chit together as they head off to work and not paying attention to the road. I've had 10x more near accidents in the 'hoods than on the road.

As for what to get...for a 2 miler just about anything would do for a bike. Be sure and keep a spare tube, tools and some method of inflating...I like CO2 in case you have a flat along the way. There's a lot of crap on the streets and it all gets blown towards the curb and into bike lanes. If you go the CO2 route I highly recommend getting an inflator that takes the non-threaded cartridges. You can buy the non-threaded cartridges in most sporting goods stores in a box of 5 or 25 for $1 or less per cartridge vs paying $2.50+ per cartridge for the threaded variety.

I'll second anthony's suggestion for a single speed road bike. If you are only going 2 miles with minimal hills, a single speed (not a fixed gear) is easy, won't break down, and is a lot cheaper. If you want to use the bike for long rides as exercise or for fun, you might look at a hybrid or geared road bike. If you plan to ride in your work clothes, get fenders and don't forget to roll your right pant leg up to avoid chain grease.

-I like the screw CO2 carts but I use maybe 3-4 per year. The little cap fits better in my pack rather than a gun.

-if you keep your chain clean no reason for a guard and it'll make your bike hold up much longer.

-Been hitting 120+ weekly for the last month. Legs are feeling great.

I'll try that Legacy Trail, thanks....that looks like the longest and best one.

Of course, I'm a little spoiled. I live within 2 miles of the Little Miami Trail, a dedicated uninterrupted 65 mile trail that runs on an old railroad bed, along the river , from just south of Springfield, OH to about 7 miles east of downtown Cincinnati.

^Loveland/Little Miami is phenomenal. Besides it's flat, that stinks.
Whats pretty legit is that its almost connected to the Cincinnati river front parks, and is in the process of connecting all the way to Cleveland. Living in Newport, it'll be sweet to have a quarter mile of on road riding until I'm on like 250 miles of off road bike path.

I was riding last weekend on the Monon Trail in Indy.

The level of cluelessness there surpasses by many many times that on the Little Miami trail
Example:

Through Carmel they have a farmer's market. People park across from it and to get to it, they have to cross the trail. Fine. I get that pedestrians are allowed on the trail too. I slowed down to barely 10-12 mph and kept a sharp eye out. But within a minute of each other I had the following happen:

1) woman departs farmer's market and crosses trail in front or me...I move right and have plenty of room to avoid and am in process of moving past her, watching her carefully as I see she is fooling with her cell phone, when she turns quickly on her heel and moves quickly past center line of trail back in direction she came, without ever checking at all what is going on the trail. Right in my path. I hit brakes, come to complete stop, say "Excuse Me"...she looks up for the first time and realizes she almost caused a crash.

2) About a minute later, trail is clear and I am moving along at about maybe 13-14 mph. I am in right hand lane, right side, where I should be. Woman carrying a bag and fumbling with it in some fashion steps out onto trail from a somewhat hidden opening from the market, looking down at her bag, did not check either direction, and I slam brakes, coming to a stop about a foot from her

I utter an oath at her lack of awareness, and this causes a woman across the other side of the trail, who didn't even see the incident , to yell at me "You know its not your own personal trail!"

To which I replied, "did you see what happened?". Upon her admitting that she did not, I politely advised her to not comment on incidents not involving her and of which she does not have actual knowledge

Do you have reading comprehension issues? I said I was going slowly and was alert.

Name calling---the last resort of the mentally unarmed.

Again, check your reading skills. Where did I say it was congested? I said there were people crossing the trail sometimes. That is a lot different than "congested".

I've been riding 20 plus years, if it was "congested" I'd have walked my bike through it. I've never had an accident, but avoided dozens....BECAUSE I PAY ATTENTION.

All you need to know is that 2 other pedestrians, standing off to the side, told me that I did well to avoid an accident and that it was the walker's fault.

What a life you must have to sit behind your computer and call people you don't know names over incidents that don't involve you and that you didn't witness.

But, by all means, carry on.

If you care enough about posting lame, holier-than-thou stories about speeding through a farmer's market on your aerobars while uttering oaths at people you don't know, I am going to care enough to call you a dick, imo.

I hear Nicholasville Road is a great bike road.
BIKECOMMUTER4.jpg

That lady is a dumb c*nt. She needs to get her ass on the shoulder. She's just asking to get another cyclist killed because of her frustrating people. I don't like to drove in Nicholasville much less ride. F*vk that noise.

Also, the congestion on busy mixed use trails sucks. Deal with it all the time on the legacy but that's part of it. Slow down and take your time.

Not necessarily near Lexington, but Floyds Fork in Louisville is phenomenal. I ride out there every chance I get.

Great seeing another cycling thread.

During this time of year, I usually commute 20-50 miles per week by bicycle. My 6-year old Novara is due for replacement. I also own a Dahon Speed D-7 folder and a Brompton M3L, purchased new in 2010 from the Evans Cycle shop located just down the street from Buckingham Palace. I rarely ride my Brompton except for show.

Reading about your experiences is quite entertaining.

That lady is a dumb c*nt. She needs to get her ass on the shoulder. She's just asking to get another cyclist killed because of her frustrating people. I don't like to drove in Nicholasville much less ride. F*vk that noise.

Also, the congestion on busy mixed use trails sucks. Deal with it all the time on the legacy but that's part of it. Slow down and take your time.
+1

This stupid ass makes us all look bad. In such situations, I always ride shoulders. Rumble strips are your friend. My last ride from Knoxville to Cumberland Gap near Middlesboro was almost completely on the shoulder.

Last edited:
Reactions: LordEgg
I've commuted to work via bicycle off and on for 30+ years in 4 different cities with commutes ranging from 5 to 25 miles each way. Be careful in neighborhoods as you have driveways and cross-streets with people getting all of their chit together as they head off to work and not paying attention to the road. I've had 10x more near accidents in the 'hoods than on the road.
Totally agree. My 5-mile morning commute runs 1.3 miles through a residential area with no bike lanes on that stretch. I experience similar drivers.

Bucket,

If you're wanting to dip your toes in check Old Bikes Belong over on Preston. They have a nice selection of used road bikes. Some of the local stores will sell used road bikes. My neighbor got both his recent bikes of Ebay with good success and got really good deals. Check there. If you're set on a cheap new road bike and money is primary concern the best deals are at Clarksville. It's where I got my new bike. It's not convenient for service though.

If you're going to be riding less than 15 miles a time and casual then a hybrid or mountain bike are fine. Just grab a helmet.

Also, nothing wrong with biking apparel. It's excellent.

As for what to get...for a 2 miler just about anything would do for a bike. Be sure and keep a spare tube, tools and some method of inflating...I like CO2 in case you have a flat along the way. There's a lot of crap on the streets and it all gets blown towards the curb and into bike lanes. If you go the CO2 route I highly recommend getting an inflator that takes the non-threaded cartridges. You can buy the non-threaded cartridges in most sporting goods stores in a box of 5 or 25 for $1 or less per cartridge vs paying $2.50+ per cartridge for the threaded variety.

Yeah the Neighborhoods are only a block or two before I get to the two campus'. What's nice is that one campus is the state buildings and the other one is the state college, and both have a great infrastructure of "parkways" circling the entire layout, with paths throughout. But these parkways are really just 3 lane roads, with much lower speed limits and barely get used. I could cut all three lanes back and forth and not have to worry about someone else.. that's how empty it is most of the time. I'm kind of a p*ssy when it comes to riding a bike alongside 2-ton vehicles, so the less I'm on an actual road, the better for me.

I liked @anthonys735 idea of a $100-200 bike. Long winters would make this tough and I may only be in this apartment/job another year, so I don't want to spend too much money. I do get a fantastic discount to Backcountry.com and they have some nice bikes, but I'd rather save that discount for Skis.

Dumb question: There are different "gases" you can put in a tire (I'm assuming air/oxygen and CO2)? And CO2 is the way to go?

The mileage is just about 2-3 miles, maybe 4 because it's not a straight shot and would have to weave through the campus a bit. I may also hit a bar or two on the way back from work.. So maybe at most, 8 miles a day.

Dumb question: There are different "gases" you can put in a tire (I'm assuming air/oxygen and CO2)? And CO2 is the way to go?

The mileage is just about 2-3 miles, maybe 4 because it's not a straight shot and would have to weave through the campus a bit. I may also hit a bar or two on the way back from work.. So maybe at most, 8 miles a day.

I guess if you really wanted to do so you could go to your automotive tire store and have them fill your tires with Nitrogen...lol. No, CO2 is just used because it comes in compressed little cylinders that are cheap and you can throw into your pocket or in a pouch so you don't need to carry a pump. Just regular air is all you need.

FWIW, I'd check out yard sales and craigslist for a commuter bike. You can probably pickup something decent for $25/$50 bucks. I've got a friend who picked up a $2500 bike for $50 at a yard sale. Damn thing was like new.

Good stuff. Anything I should be keeping an eye out for when buying a used bike? Brand? Damage? A sign of quality or something?

The other problem is I'm 99% sure I have undiagnosed Hydrohidrosis, and there's no chance in hell I don't arrive to work a sweaty mess. I sweat when I take laundry out of the dryer and I sweat when I eat. You'd think I was 600lbs, but I'm 185/5'11". It's pretty bad lol. I was told that wet-wipes are a commuters best friend, but I might need something more.

Things to look out for:
  • Busted rims - Rims are expensive. The wheel can be out of true and be repaired pretty cheap, but if the actual rim is messed up... Thats a little pricier.
  • If the bike is aluminum frame, dents are bad. Steel will usually break before it dents (I have been in some nasty wrecks).
  • Bad deraileurs - this is the most expensive mechanical part of the bike which changes the chain to different chain rings, but you probably won't know if one is messed up or just needs to be tuned.
I'd take a look at bikesdirect.com and walmart sort of store selections. Those are definitely lower tier and a lot of them are junk. Ive seen some nice stuff from bikes direct but some of their components and frames are garbage. I wouldn't buy one second hand unless it was like 10-20% of the new price.

I sweat a lot too. I found chugging some ice cold water as i walked out the door kept me from sweating as much, and definitely consider changing clothes at the office. I used to have a 1 or 2 mile commute, and ended up just wearing cycling gear to work, then on the way home I would add about 15-20 miles to the commute. Those "detours" are how I got into recreational cycling and (for a year or two) racing.

1386 miles so far this season - goal is 2500-3000 miles for the year.

For a comuter bike, as mentioned above, get a simple fixed gear bike. A nice steel frame will do. You're not dealing with any hills where you seem to be traveling. I use to ride my fixie back and forth to AMC from Buckingham Pond all the time.

Always be alert. Side streets can be the worst.

And if you are going to do long rides on paths or mixed use roads - start them at 6am so you are finishing your ride before the clowns are out and about. I live in NYC and do loops in Central Park. By 8am, the park starts to become a zoo. Can easily get in 30-40 mils before 8am.

Anthony - how do you like the Di2? Ever go back to regular gears She looks pretty.

Uh, definitely don't start with a fixed gear. Get a single speed, maybe one with a flip flop hub, but definitely learn how to ride on the road with a single speed, not a fixed gear. Its a whole different riding style.

Uh, definitely don't start with a fixed gear. Get a single speed, maybe one with a flip flop hub, but definitely learn how to ride on the road with a single speed, not a fixed gear. Its a whole different riding style.
Kind of what I was thinking. Especially if you're going to be in neighborhoods only.

Yep. I commute around town on a beater fixed gear and its great for dealing with/weaving through urban traffic, but that isn't the place to start.

+1

This stupid ass makes us all look bad. In such situations, I always ride shoulders. Rumble strips are your friend. My last ride from Knoxville to Cumberland Gap near Middlesboro was almost completely on the shoulder.

33 or more of the back roads? There are some nice hills there near Norris.

33 or more of the back roads? There are some nice hills there near Norris.
33 from Knoxville all the way up to 25E. That bridge over the lake is scary. When I rode it the first time in 2009, an engineer from my last job assisted me with reconnoitering that damn bridge. We used Google maps. He provided some super valuable advice.

Allow me to say something about the 33 bridge over the lake. I reconned that f*cker on Google maps with a fellow engineer by the name of Karl Aleyenus. We mapped that GD bridge on Google way back when. I beat that SOB with a semi truck right behind me. Because Karl told me how I should navigate it. Scary shit, but thanks to Karl, I f'n made it. 1100 miles distant.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT