ADVERTISEMENT

Bike trails around Lexington?/Cycling Thread

Thanks for the tips. I've looked at some road bikes on craigslist (a lot of the bike shops in town advertise on there). My plan is to pop into Old Bikes Belong (thanks for the confirmation) sometime in the next week.

I have access to a really nice Gary Fisher bike but I don't really like the idea of using something that is not mine.

With the Louisville Loop so close by, I'd like to pick this up as a hobby because it should be something that I can do for the next 20 years.

Hahahahahaha talking about laying down a bike like its a motorcycle. How about yall just stay off the road? Bunch of idiots run red lights and stop signs and expect to be welcome on the road.

Speaking of clueless...I just saw a woman and her 6 and 8 year old boys riding on Man O'War between Tates Creek road and Armstrong Mill. Come on lady, those kids have no business being on that busy ass road. Please get them in a park or neighborhood before you get them killed or cause a serious accident. Man!

Allow me to say something about the 33 bridge over the lake. I reconned that f*cker on Google maps with a fellow engineer by the name of Karl Aleyenus. We mapped that GD bridge on Google way back when. I beat that SOB with a semi truck right behind me. Because Karl told me how I should navigate it. Scary shit, but thanks to Karl, I f'n made it. 1100 miles distant.

Two lane bridge with less than 6 inches between the white lines and the bridge railing on one of the busiest connecting roads from Knoxville to Eastern Ky? No chance I would even try that. Prolly mess myself.

Hahahahahaha talking about laying down a bike like its a motorcycle. How about yall just stay off the road? Bunch of idiots run red lights and stop signs and expect to be welcome on the road.

So cyclist make the roads dangerous but bikers make it safe? Lol. Look bro, just mind your goatee and keep thinking that kawasaki road cruiser looks so badass.

Never said that. I don't have a motorcycle or cute little bicycle. Just think it's hilarious how you say "laying down" a bicycle as if you're in any serious danger. But maybe you are man. Maybe you're more dangerous to yourself than you are on the road.

Anthony - how do you like the Di2? Ever go back to regular gears She looks pretty.

Somehow I missed this.

Big fan but I was also coming from Sora so just getting to Ultegra would have been a nice jump. They're really smooth and I can adjust the rear derailleur while I ride. Well over 1000 miles in without a recharge. I could see where they would be really awesome on a tri bike. Love the bike as well, it's a little beefy(though not heavy) which I actually love. It's a really comfortable ride than if I had went with a lighter racing style like I was looking at.

Doing the MS Ride in Louisville this weekend. I hate 2 day rides but I think we're doing 50 Sat - 50 Sun. Might bail on Sunday if the weather gets nasty. Not a huge fan of large group rides but should be fun getting out with the guys.

Somehow I missed this.

Big fan but I was also coming from Sora so just getting to Ultegra would have been a nice jump. They're really smooth and I can adjust the rear derailleur while I ride. Well over 1000 miles in without a recharge. I could see where they would be really awesome on a tri bike. Love the bike as well, it's a little beefy(though not heavy) which I actually love. It's a really comfortable ride than if I had went with a lighter racing style like I was looking at.

Doing the MS Ride in Louisville this weekend. I hate 2 day rides but I think we're doing 50 Sat - 50 Sun. Might bail on Sunday if the weather gets nasty. Not a huge fan of large group rides but should be fun getting out with the guys.

Thanks...I think I am about ready to move up to Di2. Been on 105 for what seems like seems forever. Good luck on your ride - they are always fun with buddies.

I did a century ride in May out to Montauk. Rained from mile 35-95. It was nice a sunny the last 10 miles.

Yeah, that many people with rain for a ride I'm not really invested in then I'm out. Too dangerous.

The price on the Di2's has come WAY down. Got into my bike for $3600. Full carbon, Di2, disc brakes. Took some patience but that's pretty good for a 2015. Good luck.

How do you like the disc brakes? Was shopping for my next bike recently (ride an '05 Ultegra/105 Raleigh currently and it is worn out) and had no idea that disc were becoming the norm now. I have had them on mountain bikes, both fluid and cable, and they were great, but I feel like i'd lock them up too easily on a road.

Reactions: AlbanyWildCat
Nah, they're calibrated nicely. I wouldn't base my bike purchase on them like I did with Di2 but I would get them if I had a choice. Much better on descending.

Picked up a Bianchi Strada LX from a place in St. Matthews. Used but restored bike from the 80's. 58cm.

Now what? I know I need a helmet but what else at the moment is considered essential for someone that might put 15 miles or less in at a time.

15 miles isn't too much, you can probably knock that out in an hour or so starting out. If you go much longer than that, I'd invest in some bibs or bike shorts. If you think you are too cool for spandex, try mountain biking shorts.

Water bottle for exercise rides, decent saddle, cheap computer, and a u-lock (if you are going to ride to places) are nice to have.

Bought this a couple years ago at Middletown Cycling in Louisville. Sees mostly road duty, Louisville loop rides, etc. anymore. Nicest bike I've ever owned, I enjoy it.

XtC_29er_2%20copy.jpg

Picked up a Bianchi Strada LX from a place in St. Matthews. Used but restored bike from the 80's. 58cm.

Now what? I know I need a helmet but what else at the moment is considered essential for someone that might put 15 miles or less in at a time.
Need to get Strava App to track your miles and brag on the internet how awesome you are at cycling.

Bucket, they pretty much covered it. If you're on a hard seat I'd suggest some type of padded shorts. Where glasses. Bug to the eye at 20 mph would be bad. Strava is awesome and free. Enjoy man.

MCF shredded his rear derailleur so he's stuck buying a new bike. :smiley: Love it.

Also Middletown is advertising a KHS all carbon with DI2 at $2100. That's ridiculous. Bike gets nice reviews as well

ADVERTISEMENT