ADVERTISEMENT

best PF/4 guys left in the portal??

JonathanW

All-American
Jan 3, 2003
Who are the best remaining PF/4 guys remaining in the portal, who would probably be ok with playing <20mpg?

I don't know about 20 minutes, but Achor and Toppin are 1a and 1b, IMO. I think Pope can sell his rotations at BYU to convince a great player to come in and buy in to an enforcer role who'll need a breather.

Come in, give everything you have, get subbed and rest, and then play your hardest again. It'll be interesting to see who buys in... Or if anyone does.

Carr will get at least 25 minutes a game, so probably looking for someone willing to play 10-15 a game this season with the hope of being a starter the next season. Probably a guy with multiple years of eligibility left. Buyuktuncel would be ideal if he is willing to play a reduced role.

Might not be a popular choice, but I really like Will Riley out of high school in Canada as a reclass guy. He would be a great stretch four imo. Would have to work on his body since he's thin, but I really like him with Chandler and Perry as a young core. Assuming none of them bolt for the NBA after year one.

Sad that CBB has come to this but you are correct.

Mercenary is a horrible term to label college athletes with. Implying there is some sort of unethical behavior.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a athlete wanting to maximize his earning potential during his very limited window of opportunity. Most every single person would do the exact same thing given the same situation.

Achor played about 25 minutes a game last year and averaged 16 and 6, shot 43% from three

I would be all in on him
Achor who played only 22 minutes a game & averaged 16 points & 6 rebounds a game. Project those numbers over 33 minutes a game we're talking 24 points & 9 rebounds a game. Those are conference player of the year & 1st team All -American numbers. Achor with his ability to shoot the three would be perfect in Pope's offense.

Mercenary is a horrible term to label college athletes with. Implying there is some sort of unethical behavior.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a athlete wanting to maximize his earning potential during his very limited window of opportunity. Most every single person would do the exact same thing given the same situation.

Not implying anything unethical.

It's a term I associate with someone doing something for the money. It's also related to people changing jobs a lot and going to the highest bidder.

I'm also 100% all for it. I agree with you everyone on this board would do the same thing and does do the same thing in their profession. We follow the money.

Reactions: JASUN74

Meh. If they're good enough and want the bag, then surrender the college scholarship and go play professionally in the Show, the G League, overseas, in the minors, etc. NIL will never make any sense - paying professional-level money to college-age athletes, most of whom have no realistic shot of playing in the professional leagues.

I get that for decades there had been under the table payments made for the exceptional college athletes, just like for decades there have been under the table payments made to the dirtier politicians. But college athletics were intended to be amateur-level competition, just like politicians and office-holders are supposed to be in office to make a positive difference to their communities. The days of a bunch of young adults working their tails off on the court (in exchange for a pretty valuable full-ride as their return pay) with the main goal of having a shot at hanging a banner( the 1985 Villanova squad) are over. Similar to the dot.com craze, this NIL craze will likely burn itself out in a few years. But otherwise there is no realistic way to put that genie back in the bottle.

Horrible term? Whatever. There are a lot worse words than 'Mercenary' which could be used to accurately describe today's transfer-portal NIL wannabes, yes?

Last edited:
Sell him or Toppin on being a hybrid 3/4.
I think Toppin could be really good as a hybrid 3/4. Anchor would be a big time powerhouse forward for us I believe. Either would raise the bar and add Robinson, Lanier you really got a nice roster. Dude from seton Hall would be a huge get as well. We definitely have some options and if a couple don’t stay in the draft or try to sign as a free agent and go to the g league, I’m thinking we’ll be a tough out. Hard to play the waiting game after all that excitement.

Not implying anything unethical.

It's a term I associate with someone doing something for the money. It's also related to people changing jobs a lot and going to the highest bidder.

I'm also 100% all for it. I agree with you everyone on this board would do the same thing and does do the same thing in their profession. We follow the money.

I thought I knew the word "mercenary" , but I looked it up to clarify and it said "making money at the expense ethics"

That's why I objected to the term

Achor who played only 22 minutes a game & averaged 16 points & 6 rebounds a game. Project those numbers over 33 minutes a game we're talking 24 points & 9 rebounds a game. Those are conference player of the year & 1st team All -American numbers. Achor with his ability to shoot the three would be perfect in Pope's offense.
I think he’ll end up at Auburn, but maybe UK can throw a bag at him.

I think or it’s looking like they want Lanier & Robinson and plan to play Robinson at the 4 some
Jaxson isn’t a 4 in any context and would get abused down there. He’s a spot up guy, not much in the way of athleticism or physicality. They’ll have a better option at the 4, I hope.

Jaxson isn’t a 4 in any context and would get abused down there. He’s a spot up guy, not much in the way of athleticism or physicality. They’ll have a better option at the 4, I hope.
Jaxson can also play the 4 in a pinch, which is what may happen

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT