ADVERTISEMENT

Best Argument for this Year's Team Being Good

I have a feeling that Cal will tell them that the media is saying they are too young and it’s a Men’s game and the are still kids. He will implement a us against the world mentality and we will work n some we not supposed to win and lose some we are supposed to win. We finish like 3-4 in SEC and get a 5 seed, win 2 games this year.

so you liked the last 3 (especially the last two) seasons with the older players?
I think he was referencing Cal's often used excuse of "we're playing bad because we're young".

But I also think most would agree, a good blend/mix of good upperclassmen and talented young guys would be the best option.

Reactions: track42
My two biggest hopes:

2) Welch has a Robic-like effect on the team behind the scenes with player development and in game coaching.
I think on player development, he may have a bigger impact than Robic. As for in-game coaching, he potentially could there as well, that really depends on how willing Cal is to listen (how much he trusts him, and how much his ego allow him to listen).

Rankings can be, well, wrong. It's all speculation.
But also, every class isn't equal, some are better than others, some have more top end talent, some may have less top end talent but are deeper.
^^^ this... and that this class is way down, especially at the top, is widely-acknowledged.

Imo you can only put 5 on the floor and we should have a really good 5 players on the floor. Problem is when foul trouble and/or injuries show up. Thiero will be good but we need more

Reactions: thedahc
You don’t have to have high end nba talent to win in college. Cal just sucked at building a roster these last couple years. I hope it works out because i definitely believe in DJ and Edwards. But we probably are going to suck in the non con and be average in the sec. Only hope is we peak towards the end

29-11 or 26-11 would NOT be a vast improvement over the past 3 years, only over the 1 team 3 years ago. What are you smoking!!!!
2 years ago we were really good. Played as a top 2-3 team in the country the meddle 1/3 of the season. Then injuries hit us, exposing Cal’s unwillingness to create depth, I guess he was hoping players would return to their pre-injury levels sooner. Even last year was as good as those 2 seasons.
You must be letting recentcy cloud your assessment.
We aren’t getting 3 more. 1 yes, 2 probably (cause we need 2). We need a PF/C, and we need a good proven 3pt shooter (not sure where can get one).
End of season performance(both SECT and NCAAT) have been poor the past 3 years. We cant get to the week-end in the SEC or the second week-end in the NCAA. Why can't we get 3 more players(Cyril, a WVa player and maybe the Rutgers PG+ at this point we count Reeves as an addition. This has the potential(with some help) to be a pretty good team(if Bradshaw is a part of it for the whole season)

We will get a preview in Canada(likely a skeleton crew on hand) Edwards, Dillingham, Wagner and Reed will be on full display. How much better are our 2 returnees

Oh, by the way I don't smoke anything

I think he was referencing Cal's often used excuse of "we're playing bad because we're young".

But I also think most would agree, a good blend/mix of good upperclassmen and talented young guys would be the best option.
that has not been the case the last 3 seasons which he referred to

a good mix is always good but with the portal being what it is it is going to be tough to have a player play 13 minutes a game for 2 or 3 years

There isn't an argument on paper that this team will be good. It may make a 2011 or 2014 or even a 2018 like run by seasons end but see a lot of losses along the way.

Reactions: know1
There isn't an argument on paper that this team will be good. It may make a 2011 or 2014 or even a 2018 like run by seasons end but see a lot of losses along the way.
Uh, 2018 we made NO run. We were upset by #9 seed Kansas St in the sweet 16. And that year was set up for us to go far, with the 1-4 seeds all losing the opening weekend in our region. We could have reached the F4 beating 12, 13, 9 & 11 seeds.

Same! Then he uses a ‘96 UMASS Cal reference to support a ‘23 Lifetime Contract IDGAF Cal reference. 😂

Otherwise, I’m sure it was a well put together analysis.
Wow, my analysis did not include '96 UMASS. Show me where my original post mentioned that? You can't.

Another poster brought that up later. Maybe I should have included more pictures for you.

Uh, 2018 we made NO run. We were upset by #9 seed Kansas St in the sweet 16. And that year was set up for us to go far, with the 1-4 seeds all losing the opening weekend in our region. We could have reached the F4 beating 12, 13, 9 & 11 seeds.
A gift path to the FF and we dropped the ball.

Was referring to them winning the SEC tourney mainly. Could see them doing that if things click and making sweet 16. Might be a successful season for this bunch. Don't have high expectations.

I have a feeling that Cal will tell them that the media is saying they are too young and it’s a Men’s game and the are still kids. He will implement a us against the world mentality and we will work n some we not supposed to win and lose some we are supposed to win. We finish like 3-4 in SEC and get a 5 seed, win 2 games this year.
That old "us against the world" stuff doesn't work, especially in today’s college game where everyone else has deep experienced rosters and especially with this generation of players that are all about "me" and "money".

It’s going to take a heck of a lot more than a 'win one for the Gipper' speech to overcome all the things working against this team. This has the word 'disaster' written all over it.

That old "us against the world" stuff doesn't work, especially in today’s college game where everyone else has deep experienced rosters and especially with this generation of players that are all about "me" and "money".

It’s going to take a heck of a lot more than a 'win one for the Gipper' speech to overcome all the things working against this team. This has the word 'disaster' written all over it.
Jeff

You probably need to take the year off from UK basketball. Too invested in the misery part. Just bums out the fans who are going to watch and root every game hoping for best.

Reset yourself for 2024.

Jeff

You probably need to take the year off from UK basketball. Too invested in the misery part. Just bums out the fans who are going to watch and root every game hoping for best.

Reset yourself for 2024.
Says the guy that is the exact description of the cartoon dog sitting on a chair in a burning house claiming everything is fine.

I'm sorry the truth hurts you so much, but that's wgat it is, the truth. Get over it.

Says the guy that is the exact description of the cartoon dog sitting on a chair in a burning house claiming everything is fine.

I'm sorry the truth hurts you so much, but that's wgat it is, the truth. Get over it.
Well, this thread is now closed. The great arbiter of truth has spoken. He says his opinion is the truth and we must all now "get over it". It's settled then.

I’m going into next year with no expectations and am in a wait and see mode. Too many unknowns to really predict anything.

Hoping this team can win their big ooc games. If they can do that, I might get some excitement for league play.

The last three years have made me jaded, but I’ll let this all play out before going crazy.

I’m going into next year with no expectations and am in a wait and see mode. Too many unknowns to really predict anything.

Hoping this team can win their big ooc games. If they can do that, I might get some excitement for league play.

The last three years have made me jaded, but I’ll let this all play out before going crazy.
Imagine that, letting something play out before going crazy.....

Reactions: Kybluedude
Well, this thread is now closed. The great arbiter of truth has spoken. He says his opinion is the truth and we must all now "get over it". It's settled then.
Boy, you really struggle with reading comprehension. This is two different threads you've done this in now.

Do you honestly believe the key to this team winning, is a simple "it's us against the world" speech? That's what you're saying. Cal just needs to sit them down and tell the team that nobody believes they can win, because they're young and BAM, just like the movies, the team goes out and beats everybody?

I want whatever you and the OP are having.

Reactions: KFuqua
When did I say that about an us against the world speech? I never even commented on that. Please feel free to link back. Please enlighten me on when I said that.

I was just enjoying the fact that you said your opinion was truth and others needed to get over it. I found it amusing.

Nobody is going crazy though. You’re just having trouble with reading comprehension.
Never mentioned you as going crazy. It's not all about you. I was replying to a post that said they were letting it play out before going crazy.

Side note, did you just complete a reading comprehension test because you are talking about it a lot. I mean a lot a lot, almost as much as you use that laugh-crying face emoji.

Just trying to look out for mental health. It’s June and you’re already in a lather. Relax. Watch baseball. Enjoy your family. Drink decaf.

Like I suggested take the year off from UK basketball. It is what it is. Come back when it’s enjoyable and optimistic for you.

This young team is exciting and talented. No way to know if it’s going to be a “disaster” as you put it.

When did I say that about an us against the world speech? I never even commented on that. Please feel free to link back. Please enlighten me on when I said that.

I was just enjoying the fact that you said your opinion was truth and others needed to get over it. I found it amusing.
Connect the dots man. You came at me for my response to the OP, so obviously you agree with the OP. This isn’t hard.

When did I claim my opinion was a fact?

Never mentioned you as going crazy. It's not all about you. I was replying to a post that said they were letting it play out before going crazy.

Side note, did you just complete a reading comprehension test because you are talking about it a lot. I mean a lot a lot, almost as much as you use that laugh-crying face emoji.
I mentioned 'reading comprehension' three times in two different threads. That’s a lot? Interesting.

I used that phrase, because the people I responded to seem to have that issue.

Just trying to look out for mental health. It’s June and you’re already in a lather. Relax. Watch baseball. Enjoy your family. Drink decaf.

Like I suggested take the year off from UK basketball. It is what it is. Come back when it’s enjoyable and optimistic for you.

This young team is exciting and talented. No way to know if it’s going to be a “disaster” as you put it.
Yeah fido, that’s what I'm going to do, take the year off.
I can't wait until you disappear sometime in December once you realize you were fooled again.

Connect the dots man. You came at me for my response to the OP, so obviously you agree with the OP. This isn’t hard.

When did I claim my opinion was a fact?
When did you claim your opinion was fact?

Well, see your post quoted below from this very thread in which you say your opinion is "the truth" not once but twice. I thought you were the reading comprehension monitor......

Reactions: Doodah859
When did you claim your opinion was fact?

Well, see your post quoted below from this very thread in which you say your opinion is "the truth" not once but twice. I thought you were the reading comprehension monitor......
Ah, so it's true that a speech is all that is needed for a team to win in college?

I think if you want to be optimistic there’s some resemblances to the best versions of the 2016, 2017, 2018 teams. I know those teams didn’t end how we wanted, but all of them were playing great basketball down the stretch.

Downhill guard who wants to score at the rim: Briscoe, SGA. This year would be Wagner

3 level scoring swing man: Murray, Monk, Knox. This year would be Edwards

Talented PG: Ulis, Fox, Quade. This year would be Dillingham (I know Quade didn’t turn out but was highly rated coming out)

Role players at guard: Hawkins, Mulder, Diallo. This year would be Sheppard, and maybe Reeves

Some wings who can do different things: Poythress, Willis, Wenyen, PJ. This year would be Adou, Burks

“Finesse” bigs: Skal, Richards, Humphries. This year would be Bradshaw

Rim protection/rebounding/rim running bigs: Lee, Bam, Killeya-Jones, Vanderbilt. This year would be Ugo and Cyril. (Bam could probably go into finesse too)

I’d say the big question mark for the year would be can Dillingham take over and play the PG spot. He really doesn’t have to be as good as Ulis or Fox, but if he can take care of the ball, be efficient, and get everybody shots it would go a long way for this team.

Yeah fido, that’s what I'm going to do, take the year off.
I can't wait until you disappear sometime in December once you realize you were fooled again.
Hoping UK is winning and growing and you’ll be long gone before the end of Dec, Gloomy pessimistic depressed know it all who cant stop whining. It’s June and you’re already in need of anger management.

It’s a new season. Let it play out Eeyore.

Hoping UK is winning and growing and you’ll be long gone before the end of Dec, Gloomy pessimistic depressed know it all who cant stop whining. It’s June and you’re already in need of anger management.

It’s a new season. Let it play out Eeyore.
"Hoping" is all you dudes have. I'm being realistic, because I've seen enough of this circus, apparently you haven't.

I'll still be here in December and I'll be glad to eat humble pie if I'm wrong. See, unlike you, I admit when I'm wrong and I call it out when Cal does a good job, you Cal fans just disappear when shit goes sideways, every single one of you.

Nothing wrong with our system. Averaged almost 80 points per game in '22 and the same as Kansas in '23, about 75 points.

Some whine that we should like Ark. Well, we do. Musselman and Cal's offense is almost the exact same offense.

Some see some offense from 40 years ago being played by an upstart and call it "modern".

Cal is a great coach and always has been. He beat our '96 team with one player and 4 ball boys. Cal has taken every school he's coached to the FF. None of that is by luck. What's anyone done at UMass before or after Cal? What has anyone done at Memphis since Cal left?

The problem we have had the last 3 seasons has been defense. Defense is not going to be a problem next season.

But get your licks in now. The '23-24 season is going to be a dreadful season for the CHC.
4 ball boys gives away your bias

I know the arguments against this year's team:
-Too young
-"Cal can't coach" (don't agree)
-No leaders with experience

However, the argument I think is the best for this team to potentially be pretty good is just pure talent. Potentially enough talent to overcome some of their perceived limitations.

The last two years teams have not been young or freshman oriented. Playing only 2 or 1 freshman in the Top 7 so youth could not have been their problem.

Let's look at the recent top 7 minutes played per recent team and their National Ranking in their class. I know this doesn't account for experience, I am just using it as a metric of pure potential talent. I know this does not equal results but I thought it was interesting.

Also any unranked player I gave a value of 151 to since Rivals only rates the Top 150. I also only used players currently on the team.

2021 (avg ranking 74.43. Only 1 freshman in Top 7)
Grady- 65th
Tshiebwe- 26th
Wheeler- 91st
Tyty- 8th
Mintz- NR (151)
Brooks- 29th
Toppin- NR (151)

2022 (avg ranking 84.14. Only 2 freshman in top 7)
Tshiebwe- 26th
Wallace- 8th
Toppin- NR (151)
Wheeler- 91st
Reeves- NR (151)
Livingston- 11th
Fredrick- NR (151)

2023 (avg ranking 34.57. 5 freshman top 7) or w/ Reeves (avg ranking 52.14. 4 freshman top 7)
Wagner- 6th
Edwards- 3rd
Dillingham- 15th
Thiero- NR (151)
Onyenso- 37th
Sheppard- 28th or Reeves- NR (151)
Bradshaw- 2nd
This thread is fun to revisit

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT