ADVERTISEMENT

Best AR 15

May 13, 2009
Looking to pick up a good AR. Im only going to target shoot and maybe hunt coyotes but no serious hunting. Just trying to get some ideas from BBN. My budget is between $800-$1000.

Best AR is a broad term. There are so many options out there, at your price range you can find many entry level rifles. I went one step up and bought a Daniel Defense DDm4 mid length, which went for $1450, i like the way it shoots and looks, and it comes with the Omega Rail setup, which makes it very easy to add on. These are the basic specs i kept in mind when i bought:

16 in barrel 1:7 twist, chrome lined barrel, high pressure tested bolt and shot peened w/ the gas key properly staked, barrel mil spec with 4150 steel, Omega Rail, M4 feed ramps (are a must), chambered in 5:56 NATO not 223, front pistol grip, if you have each of these specs you will be off to a good start, rifles that have all of the mil spec or above standards are COLT, Daniel Defense, Bravo Co, etc.

There are many other options and specs, these are just my basics.

Lots of good ones out there. In that price range you could get an Accurate Armory and they are made in Lexington. Doublestar another KY made rifle. Both are good.

This post was edited on 3/23 8:40 PM by TKE_

Originally posted by #1LJcat:
Best AR is a broad term. There are so many options out there, at your price range you can find many entry level rifles. I went one step up and bought a Daniel Defense DDm4 mid length, which went for $1450, i like the way it shoots and looks, and it comes with the Omega Rail setup, which makes it very easy to add on. These are the basic specs i kept in mind when i bought:

16 in barrel 1:7 twist, chrome lined barrel, high pressure tested bolt and shot peened w/ the gas key properly staked, barrel mil spec with 4150 steel, Omega Rail, M4 feed ramps (are a must), chambered in 5:56 NATO not 223, front pistol grip, if you have each of these specs you will be off to a good start, rifles that have all of the mil spec or above standards are COLT, Daniel Defense, Bravo Co, etc.

There are many other options and specs, these are just my basics.
Pretty good choice & basically, the same one I made about 3 years ago. I really like the Daniel Defense quality & even though I really didn't need them, they've got excellent customer support.

Spica Orbit

Bravo is very good but the price is higher. Colt also is good, DD is good, Bushmaster is junk oh it will last a few years but if you shoot bunches you will not be happy eventually. Noveske (sp) is good also. Spikes is a step below but still good.

Noveske is great. No better rifle made today, but his budget is 800-1000.

Local brand Doublestar is a good buy. Other brands that are really good: Daniel Defense, LWRC, Bravo......etc.

What is nice is that just about any AR can be modified heavily. So, let's say if you buy a Smith&Wesson Sport model (about $600 retail)......and then add about $400-600 in aftermarket parts.........it will hold up against models that are sold for $1000-1500 straight out of the store. Or you can drop several grand in aftermarket parts and then walk around the range like a Boss. Or, you can build yours from the ground up.....piece by piece. It's actually waaaay easier than you would think.

Also, some things to keep in mind.
-Optics - What good is a $1500 gun that can shoot tiny groups at 300 yds if you stick a $50 optic on top of it that won't let you achieve the guns potential?

-Need - If you mainly just want a range gun.....and occasionally go after coyotes.......and you don't necessarily want something to use for home defense, etc.......then a longer barrel may be a better option. And surely the type of optic will play a huge role here.

Yeah, go big balls and throw and acog on top of a double star and you are out-shooting anyone.

I would trade my whole ar for an acog

The good thing is prices have came way down. For that price a Colt is great and as several have mentioned Double Star is a pretty good gun too. I have a Core 15 in flat dark earth cerakote finish and Magpul furniture that I have never had a problem with and really like it. It would be in that price as well. Bud's Gun Shop in Lexington or Whitaker Guns in Owensboro have great prices on AR's all the time. I convinced my wife to shoot mine and now she wants to go shooting all the time.
uzi.r191677.gif

The link I provided has some basic information that may help inform you on your decision.

What you will see is that the "brand" that you buy may not mean as much as you may think. For example (and just for example), some may say "Stay away from Rock River Arms.....they're junk. Buy a Noveske, they're incredible." Well, in general that may be the case, however you may want to look deeper. The lower/upper receivers for Rock River and Noveske are built by the same company (Continental Machine Tool) with the same specs. The difference is what's inside. Noveske has really good internal parts and barrels.......and that is the difference. In general a Noveske built gun will be more reliable and more accurate. But you could easily buy a Rock River platform.....add some better internal parts to it.....and be just as good, if not better gun than a Noveske.

http://thearmsguide.com/2905/how-to-build-an-ar-15-beginners-guide-part-one/

---
I really would like a FN SCAR in either 7.62 or 5.56. I've got a FN 5.7mm pistol & one of their 12 gauge tactical shotguns. Love their stuff & IIRC, at one point they made something like 85% of all small arms for the US military. If only money grew on trees!

Spica Orbit

FN SCAR

Originally posted by dalehollow:

TKE is correct Noveske is great did not mean to sound like I was putting them down.
I didn't think you were, just expressing my opinion on their quality.

All good.

Originally posted by BlueRaider22:

The link I provided has some basic information that may help inform you on your decision.

What you will see is that the "brand" that you buy may not mean as much as you may think. For example (and just for example), some may say "Stay away from Rock River Arms.....they're junk. Buy a Noveske, they're incredible." Well, in general that may be the case, however you may want to look deeper. The lower/upper receivers for Rock River and Noveske are built by the same company (Continental Machine Tool) with the same specs. The difference is what's inside. Noveske has really good internal parts and barrels.......and that is the difference. In general a Noveske built gun will be more reliable and more accurate. But you could easily buy a Rock River platform.....add some better internal parts to it.....and be just as good, if not better gun than a Noveske.
Lot's of Rock River's being run down on the border by patrolmen.

Most rifle will do the job any weekend wants them for. I think you find your budget and get the best bang for the buck in that range. Doubt you will be disappointed.

Originally posted by TKE_:

Originally posted by BlueRaider22:

Lot's of Rock River's being run down on the border by patrolmen.

Most rifle will do the job any weekend wants them for. I think you find your budget and get the best bang for the buck in that range. Doubt you will be disappointed.
I agree. That's why I said that "it was just for example." RRA does produce a decent product. And, whatever parts aren't exactly the greatest on a particular brand, it's easy to change.

Originally posted by drxman1:

Have been very happy with my PWS MK114.
Another good company. I've got several of their muzzle brakes, including one on my Daniel Defense M4....one of the original FSC series, IIRC.

Spica Orbit

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT