ADVERTISEMENT

Ben Roberts: Mac Jones Likes New Coaches, Still Solid w/ UK

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
Ben Roberts ‏@NextCats 1h1 hour ago
Mac Jones also had interesting comments on UK commits' timetable for shutting down recruiting, future visit plans http://bit.ly/1Sg01vX

It’s been widely reported that Jones plans to take several recruiting visits to schools that have extended scholarship offers, and he told the Herald-Leader that he “might” do that to check out how other programs operate and make sure he made the right decision with UK.

He was also clear about the current status of his commitment.

“I’m definitely solid,” he said. “No doubt about that. I like the new coaches. Obviously, we’re pretty early in the relationship part, but after junior day and talking with Coach Hinshaw and Coach Gran and Coach Stoops, I feel solid and I like what they’re doing.”

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
A huge program could grab him, but looks clear the burden of keeping him is on Hinshaw & Gran from the way he stated things.

A huge program could grab him, but looks clear the burden of keeping him is on Hinshaw & Gran from the way he stated things.
I don't think a big program grabs him. The kid seems very level headed. I could see him visiting anybody but I think he would not find a much better situation that at UK. He can get national attention and has a great chance to play.

I agree. I think Jones is solid. He is actually recruiting a few players to consider UK. A great young man with major talent to uncover.

I don't think a big program grabs him. The kid seems very level headed. I could see him visiting anybody but I think he would not find a much better situation that at UK. He can get national attention and has a great chance to play.
I have no idea what you quoted me for this. I didn't express an opinion on whether he'll move or not.

Jones has picked up some offers of late but they're from people like FAU and So Miss and Indiana and Illinois and Rutgers. I mean...........

I have no idea what you quoted me for this. I didn't express an opinion on whether he'll move or not.
You said a huge program could grab him. I was just piggybacking off that comment. It is really not a big deal.

Reactions: JD BIGCAT
Jones has picked up some offers of late but they're from people like FAU and So Miss and Indiana and Illinois and Rutgers. I mean...........

Seems like his name is just now getting out, with the 4th star and MVP.. I would say the greatest threat is to someone who isn't currently involved... not to say thst will happrn, but if he bolts, it won't be to FAU

de5cb97f55ab500e9b3d1a4b0aff3486.png

Rivals doesn't think he sticks (insert RIVALS IS BIASED!!! here)

Rivals is biased, at least on this issue. They don't even know where he's going, but they do know where he's not going, and he's not going to the one school to which he is committed? That's called "bias".

Rivals is biased, at least on this issue. They don't even know where he's going, but they do know where he's not going, and he's not going to the one school to which he is committed? That's called "bias".
Who is "Rivals" anyway? Probably some nameless hack doing a drive-by analysis.

Now if JR were to come out and say the same thing, I would have cause for concern.

Reactions: mrschwump

For whatever reason QBs are very likely to keep their committments to their school. However we did flip one from Bama this week and that was a good feeling..

But to what Rivals is posting, on our board last night there was a post from Rivals about another kid committed to Bama flipping to us, which wasn't true. He decommitted from Bama. An intern was in charge, just read the part about decomitting from Bama and decided that since the qb and a kicker had flipped from Bama to us this week that the RB did too and posted it in Rivals updates. The kid came out and said it wasn't true, but an intern likely killed our chances of signing the kid next Feb. Rivals isn't all knowing, some of them seem completely out of the loop.

For whatever reason QBs are very likely to keep their committments to their school. However we did flip one from Bama this week and that was a good feeling..

Not true - just as likely to flip. We've already lost one QB but gained another in this class, UT lost one to Clemson, last year LSU lost one to Fla, UT lost one to OU, Ala lost one, etc. Only about 1/22 or so signees are QBs so maybe it seems like less for that reason but the flip rate isn't any different and may even be higher.

I guess JR saves such comments for the money board.

Funny you should mention that, I received a tweet from JR into my Gmail account, and when I clicked on it, it took me straight to the HOB premium site; alas I am not a member and perhaps I should be:

Justin Rowland‏@RowlandRIVALS 21h21 hours ago

Someone asked me today about @macjones2017 recruitment and how I see it unfolding for UK/others. My honest take: https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/jr-mac-jones.174798/#post-3996138…

10:35 AM - 4 Mar 2016

Ben Roberts ‏@NextCats 20h20 hours ago
Mac Jones says "confusion is cleared up" over zone-read stuff. Still solid to UK. Will visit again this spring http://bit.ly/1Rz8q93

The latest snag came over the confusion of how much UK’s new coaches would want to use him in the running game. Jones said he has since spoken with both Gran and Hinshaw to clarify that subject, and he’s comfortable with what his role would be in their offense.

“The confusion is cleared up,” Jones said Tuesday.

Jones, who visited UK for the program’s first junior day event last month, is also planning to come back to town during spring practice, which started Tuesday. He said he’s hoping to attend the UK spring game April 16

The theory of the guru who wrote this recruiting wrap is based on the change from Dawson to Gran. Reportedly, Gran has told Mac Jones that he will be required to play zone-read, but according to the story Jones wants to be a drop-back quarterback. Now Jones says it is cleared up. There may be truth to this, but who knows? February is still a long way away. If Mac Jones is truly solid with Kentucky, then by definition he would not be interested in other schools. He is still taking other visits, which tells me that he, at least, will consider some of the schools he is visiting. Best guess, he will have to get to know Gran and Hinshaw a little more and get more comfortable. It's good that Jones says he is solid, but it's also reasonable to think Gran must re-recruit Jones to some extent. Apparently that is happening now. I would like to see Jones in a Kentucky uniform, but we shouldn't assume this is over. It might not be.

The theory of the guru who wrote this recruiting wrap is based on the change from Dawson to Gran. Reportedly, Gran has told Mac Jones that he will be required to play zone-read, but according to the story Jones wants to be a drop-back quarterback. Now Jones says it is cleared up. There may be truth to this, but who knows? February is still a long way away. If Mac Jones is truly solid with Kentucky, then by definition he would not be interested in other schools. He is still taking other visits, which tells me that he, at least, will consider some of the schools he is visiting. Best guess, he will have to get to know Gran and Hinshaw a little more and get more comfortable. It's good that Jones says he is solid, but it's also reasonable to think Gran must re-recruit Jones to some extent. Apparently that is happening now. I would like to see Jones in a Kentucky uniform, but we shouldn't assume this is over. It might not be.
I guess it depends on what the meaning of solid, or truly solid, or still solid, is.

I guess it depends on what the meaning of solid, or truly solid, or still solid, is.
I just think Gran and Hinshaw still have some work to do to close the deal with Jones. I can tell by things the kid says in interviews that his heart is here in Lexington. But in the final analysis, he will sign where he thinks his football career will be best served. Gran and Hinshaw just need to reassure him that place is Kentucky by helping him see himself excelling in their offense. I won't be surprised if he signs with us, but I also won't be surprised if he doesn't. February is a long way off, and quarterbacks are a premium commodity in the recruiting world.

I won't be surprised if he signs with us, but I also won't be surprised if he doesn't. February is a long way off, and quarterbacks are a premium commodity in the recruiting world.
OK. But then it does depend on what the meaning of solid, or truly solid, or still solid, is since there is nothing else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT