ADVERTISEMENT

About UK seniors coming back in 2024

Rembrandt90

Senior
Jun 25, 2018
While we await this evening's game in Carolumbia, here is an important subject to discuss.

According to online sources, ten current Wildcats listed as seniors on UK's official website actually have an option to play again next year. Most of these are COVID options. Most of these players went through senior day ceremonies last week, but that doesn't change their 2024 option. In any case, I will offer my uneducated guess whether each of these ten will actually be back next season. So check out my guesses and see if you agree or disagree.

With Coach Stoops well on his way to signing a full 2024 recruiting class, this number matters. We know some current Wildcat underclassmen will leave through the transfer portal, because it happens every offseason. But we don't know how many will leave. So calculating how many inbound transfers Stoops should accept out of the portal involves some guesswork. Now, with an unknown number of 2023 seniors returning, the guesswork becomes more complicated.

Eli Cox - He is a native Kentuckian and a starter, but he won't be picked in the next NFL draft. So I can't see a reason why he wouldn't return next year. Chances of return - 80%

Marques Cox - Generally speaking, he has played well. But he doesn't have NFL OT size, so IOL would be his future at the next level. IMO, the main variable is whether Cox feels he is ready to catch on with an NFL team. He would almost surely receive a camp invitation as a FA, but he can't count on getting drafted. How committed has he become to Stoops' program in one year? Chances - 50%

Ray Davis - There is no doubt Davis can get drafted after this season. RBs take a beating and generally have short football careers. I think he is gone. Chances - 20%

Jeremy Flax - Most of our fan base gave up on him, but his improvement from 2022 to 2023 has been dramatic. He is a hard worker. Against all odds, Flax is now UK's best offensive lineman, but still probably not developed enough to get drafted. It must be tempting to return in 2024 to continue his OT development and perhaps get drafted after the 2024 season. Chances - 70%

Luke Fulton - Fulton was a high profile, widely recruited hs LB who transferred to UK after bombing out at MI St. Being a Youngstown native, Fulton might have expected a better chance to get onto the field in Mark Stoops' program. But he has been a special teams player and has been recruited over. He has plenty of reasons to come back and try again, except for the likelihood that getting onto the field in 2024 might not be any easier than it has been in 2023. Stoops might need his scholarship for a younger player with more upside. Chances - 30%

Jalen Geiger - Geiger is an overachiever who has overcome serious injuries. He is one of our better DBs, but he will not get drafted after the 2023 season. Stoops needs him back. OTOH, he could be tired of the physical beating he is taking. Chances - 70%

D'Eryk Jackson - He was a lightly recruited hs player who was discovered by our coaches at a position camp in Lexington. He has become a massive overachiever at UK. He has NFL size, but is unlikely to be drafted after the 2023 season. Stoops needs him back. Chances - 70%

Jutahn McClain - He was heavily recruited as a hs senior and turned down ND and MI to sign with UK. But he has been a career backup. With Ramon Jefferson on the way out, and Ray Davis probably leaving too, McClain could come back with a likelihood of increasing his playing time in 2024. Or he could hit the transfer portal. Chances - 60%.

Octavious Oxendine - UK's official roster lists Oxendine as a senior but I think that is an error. Oxendine signed in UK's 2020 class and then redshirted in 2020. AFAICT, he did not participate in senior day ceremonies last week. I believe Oxendine is actually a redshirt junior. He is a starter, and Stoops needs him back. Chances - 90%

Finally, a comment on Trevin Wallace. Wallace is a true junior. There has been some speculation that he will leave for the NFL draft after this season. I don't believe that. Wallace missed a chunk of the SEC season with an injury and is only now getting back into shape. He has NFL speed, but his measurables are ordinary for an NFL LB. I think he will be back in 2024. Chances - 70%

If we can get back most of the guys you listed as a 50% or more chance, I’d be very happy with that. Some things must get fixed before next season starts. With some old guys coming back and some really good new ones on the way, possibly a couple really good pickup from the portal and I’ll be ready to go again. Really have loved watching the team fight this year but this given the free five yard pass and playing soo far off every time the other team wants is getting to me. Cussed a little more than I’d like to admit this year as well. Ha. I’d just love to get that man to man a little tighter coverage. It is what it is I suppose. Thanks for the write up Rembrandt. Well done.

While we await this evening's game in Carolumbia, here is an important subject to discuss.

According to online sources, ten current Wildcats listed as seniors on UK's official website actually have an option to play again next year. Most of these are COVID options. Most of these players went through senior day ceremonies last week, but that doesn't change their 2024 option. In any case, I will offer my uneducated guess whether each of these ten will actually be back next season. So check out my guesses and see if you agree or disagree.

With Coach Stoops well on his way to signing a full 2024 recruiting class, this number matters. We know some current Wildcat underclassmen will leave through the transfer portal, because it happens every offseason. But we don't know how many will leave. So calculating how many inbound transfers Stoops should accept out of the portal involves some guesswork. Now, with an unknown number of 2023 seniors returning, the guesswork becomes more complicated.

Eli Cox - He is a native Kentuckian and a starter, but he won't be picked in the next NFL draft. So I can't see a reason why he wouldn't return next year. Chances of return - 80%

Marques Cox - Generally speaking, he has played well. But he doesn't have NFL OT size, so IOL would be his future at the next level. IMO, the main variable is whether Cox feels he is ready to catch on with an NFL team. He would almost surely receive a camp invitation as a FA, but he can't count on getting drafted. How committed has he become to Stoops' program in one year? Chances - 50%

Ray Davis - There is no doubt Davis can get drafted after this season. RBs take a beating and generally have short football careers. I think he is gone. Chances - 20%

Jeremy Flax - Most of our fan base gave up on him, but his improvement from 2022 to 2023 has been dramatic. He is a hard worker. Against all odds, Flax is now UK's best offensive lineman, but still probably not developed enough to get drafted. It must be tempting to return in 2024 to continue his OT development and perhaps get drafted after the 2024 season. Chances - 70%

Luke Fulton - Fulton was a high profile, widely recruited hs LB who transferred to UK after bombing out at MI St. Being a Youngstown native, Fulton might have expected a better chance to get onto the field in Mark Stoops' program. But he has been a special teams player and has been recruited over. He has plenty of reasons to come back and try again, except for the likelihood that getting onto the field in 2024 might not be any easier than it has been in 2023. Stoops might need his scholarship for a younger player with more upside. Chances - 30%

Jalen Geiger - Geiger is an overachiever who has overcome serious injuries. He is one of our better DBs, but he will not get drafted after the 2023 season. Stoops needs him back. OTOH, he could be tired of the physical beating he is taking. Chances - 70%

D'Eryk Jackson - He was a lightly recruited hs player who was discovered by our coaches at a position camp in Lexington. He has become a massive overachiever at UK. He has NFL size, but is unlikely to be drafted after the 2023 season. Stoops needs him back. Chances - 70%

Jutahn McClain - He was heavily recruited as a hs senior and turned down ND and MI to sign with UK. But he has been a career backup. With Ramon Jefferson on the way out, and Ray Davis probably leaving too, McClain could come back with a likelihood of increasing his playing time in 2024. Or he could hit the transfer portal. Chances - 60%.

Octavious Oxendine - UK's official roster lists Oxendine as a senior but I think that is an error. Oxendine signed in UK's 2020 class and then redshirted in 2020. AFAICT, he did not participate in senior day ceremonies last week. I believe Oxendine is actually a redshirt junior. He is a starter, and Stoops needs him back. Chances - 90%

Finally, a comment on Trevin Wallace. Wallace is a true junior. There has been some speculation that he will leave for the NFL draft after this season. I don't believe that. Wallace missed a chunk of the SEC season with an injury and is only now getting back into shape. He has NFL speed, but his measurables are ordinary for an NFL LB. I think he will be back in 2024. Chances - 70%
I hate to be this way but do we really want most of them back (i.e. we need roster room on the 85)

1. Flax or Marques Cox are the biggies to me....We are really low at tackles and need 1 back....I think we could live if only one came back.
2. Ox is fine...i think he's a solid DE now that DT is a thing of the past. My preference is Walker to NG (where he belongs) and Ox beef back up to DT and let Rybka take the DE spot. I think Ox is a very good DL by SEC standards.
3. DEryck Jackson.....I think he's a decent MLB....a bit slow of foot but a good thumper and plays assignment football well

The rest.....do we really need them back more than the roster spots for transfers and/or recruits? ( I agree on Wallace....I don't think he has NFL stock to go)

- McClain....clearly beaten out by Sumo for that multi purpose back up RB
- Eli Cox....I'd sort of like to see Keenum. Cox has been not too impressive for two years.
- Ray Davis is dang good RB.....but he's going to get paid IMO.

Reactions: JasonRDunn
I hate to be this way but do we really want most of them back (i.e. we need roster room on the 85)

1. Flax or Marques Cox are the biggies to me....We are really low at tackles and need 1 back....I think we could live if only one came back.
2. Ox is fine...i think he's a solid DE now that DT is a thing of the past. My preference is Walker to NG (where he belongs) and Ox beef back up to DT and let Rybka take the DE spot. I think Ox is a very good DL by SEC standards.
3. DEryck Jackson.....I think he's a decent MLB....a bit slow of foot but a good thumper and plays assignment football well

The rest.....do we really need them back more than the roster spots for transfers and/or recruits? ( I agree on Wallace....I don't think he has NFL stock to go)

- McClain....clearly beaten out by Sumo for that multi purpose back up RB
- Eli Cox....I'd sort of like to see Keenum. Cox has been not too impressive for two years.
- Ray Davis is dang good RB.....but he's going to get paid IMO.

We almost always want the players back that our coaches recruited and developed from the start of their college careers inside our own program.

When your recruiting philosophy is to recruit talent and work ethic, players generally improve from year to year. So you can't always predict future performance on the basis of last year. Flax is an example. Last year, he had a poor season. This year, he is tremendously improved in all phases and a leader on our OL. Watch him on replays. He is a different player now. With time and coaching, most hard working players improve.

You don't want Eli Cox and both starting OTs back? Wow. Following your preferences, then, we would have one or two OL starters back next year. That would likely be a disaster. But we could have four OL starters back. You will probably say, just bring in more offensive linemen through the portal. A year ago that got us Tanner Bowles, Courtland Ford, and Marques Cox, all of whom were considered strong additions by all the online websites and commenters. Marques Cox has had a pretty good season, but Ford and Bowles have barely contributed anything. So think twice before preferring the portal over your own players. Yes, we want our starters back.

Following your preferences, we could have a RB room of DSK plus a bunch of freshmen and sophomores. But McClain could be an experienced supersenior in an otherwise mostly young and very green 2024 RB rotation. You don't want McClain back as a part of the RB rotation? I disagree.

With Keeshaun Silver at NT, where he routinely draws the double team, Deone Walker is freed up to use his quickness and athleticism to collapse the pocket or stuff the inside running game. So, no, we certainly don't want Walker's talent, mobility, and athleticism wasted at NT. Coach White is shrewd to play Silver and Walker together. Octavious Oxendine is playing DE because he isn't big enough or strong enough to play DT or NT in the SEC. Oxendine is not really long enough to play on the DL in Coach White's 3-3-5, but he is quick and intelligent enough to compensate most of the time. Still, at DE, Oxendine is far better against the run than against the pass. Yes, Rybka is a good player. So are Hayes, Saunders, Dinkins, DHY, Gadson, and Gilbert. In the SEC, you must have quality depth on your DL. Rybka is a former starter and will probably start games again at some point.

DJack is a very good Mike LB. He isn't quite as effective in the pass defense as Jacquez Jones was. But DJack already has two picks this year, and he understands how to jump a short route. In the run defense, DJack is a real brute. Hell yes, we want him back in 2024, especially since there is no obvious replacement.

We obviously need Jalen Geiger back in our secondary. He would be a difference maker next year. Again, don't count on the portal solving your problems. Kelvin Joseph and Keidron Smith were good players for us. But the book is still out on Zion Childress. So far, JQ Hardaway and Jordan Robinson have been disappointments, and I don't expect Jantzen Dunn to ever help us. You almost always want to keep your own recruits and continue developing them.

Reactions: JASUN74

I wish the kicker could/would return.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT