ADVERTISEMENT

Ben Roberts: Espn Gives Johnson Highest 3-Star Designation

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
Ben Roberts ‏@NextCats 49m49 minutes ago
On the blog: UK quarterback Stephen Johnson II ranked highly by ESPN. Only 5 UK signees have a higher ranking http://bit.ly/1NSj88g

Johnson passed for 3,210 yards and 34 touchdowns with just seven interceptions at College of the Desert (Calif.) last season, winning conference player of the year honors. He’s been described as a dual-threat quarterback — and he does have the ability to run the ball — but ESPN ranks him as the No. 3 pro-style QB in the juco ranks for 2016.

ESPN ranks Hoak as the nation’s No. 14 pro-style quarterback. Johnson would be in the top 25 on that list if it included junior-college players.

In UK’s recruiting class, only Landon Young, Drake Jackson, Jordan Griffin, Tate Leavitt and Hoak are ranked higher than Johnson by ESPN.

I don't care much for ESPN's rankings on recruits, but that said I am happy to see that they like him enough to give him a pretty good rating. I think he will really surprise some people.

I find it very odd that ESPN ranks Johnson as a pro-style quarterback. Doesn't the guy have some wheels?

I find it very odd that ESPN ranks Johnson as a pro-style quarterback. Doesn't the guy have some wheels?

UK fans who expect Johnson to be the second coming of Dobbs or Jackson are going to be disappointed. Those guys are run first guys who can throw a little while Johnson is a throw first guy who can run a little. 180 pounds is what scares me and yes, I know he's working to get bigger.

Reactions: KYDave32
UK fans who expect Johnson to be the second coming of Dobbs or Jackson are going to be disappointed. Those guys are run first guys who can throw a little while Johnson is a throw first guy who can run a little. 180 pounds is what scares me and yes, I know he's working to get bigger.

I personally don't have any real expectations of the guy at the moment. I just know that Rivals has him as dual threat and ESPN has him as Pro. I also kind of remember people saying that the guy is really fast. I watched a bit of his video and never saw him ever looking to run, but he also had excellent protection. Just wondering if the guy is actually fast or if he is more like Towles/Barker in that he can run when pressured, but doesn't need to be a guy that is really running a read option offense.

Reactions: mrschwump
It's hard to know what we've got with Johnson but I trust the coaches.

I'm not sure what additional research or analysis that ESPN did to move this kid up but it does bode well hopefully that he is a good get. Weight definitely is worrisome though. If he could get himself up to the 200lb range I'd feel alot better.

Still believe Barker ends up grabbing the starting job but it would be nice if Johnson could add an additional dimension to the offense.

Just for a little perspective ESPN says there are 13 better OT's in this class that are better than Landon Young and 20 better ILB's than Kash Daniels. I use to think ESPN was a better recruiting service than Rivals but after looking at how Rivals projections pan out I changed my thinking on that.

Ben Roberts ‏@NextCats 49m49 minutes ago
On the blog: UK quarterback Stephen Johnson II ranked highly by ESPN. Only 5 UK signees have a higher ranking http://bit.ly/1NSj88g

Johnson passed for 3,210 yards and 34 touchdowns with just seven interceptions at College of the Desert (Calif.) last season, winning conference player of the year honors. He’s been described as a dual-threat quarterback — and he does have the ability to run the ball — but ESPN ranks him as the No. 3 pro-style QB in the juco ranks for 2016.

ESPN ranks Hoak as the nation’s No. 14 pro-style quarterback. Johnson would be in the top 25 on that list if it included junior-college players.

In UK’s recruiting class, only Landon Young, Drake Jackson, Jordan Griffin, Tate Leavitt and Hoak are ranked higher than Johnson by ESPN.
I find it interesting that they rank Hoak higher than Johnson,the QB spot could get crowded Barker had better show more than he did late in the year or there could be a dog fight there.

Reactions: robo222
We have what 5 players or so that are 2 stars on rivals? Isn't our latest DT recruit ranked pretty high now on 247?

I think we could easily have 3-4 more guys ranked 4 stars and several more moved up in rankings as well. Most of those 2 stars look like high 3 stars on film.
Other schools in our ranking area only had 1 maybe 2 at the most who are 2 stars. I'm sure off they are not a kicker then they would prob be not evaluated as well.

I think Rivals needs to go through and look at the players who was signed and watch film on them and see if they are underranked as a 2 star.
Robinson for example had ND, Ohio St, Bama etc all after him like stink on poo but yet he's a 3 star??

Johnson prefers to pass first before running with the ball. This has been stated in other articles. I feel he will give Barker a real battle.

I loved to,hear we are signing a duel threat qb just as much as anybody , but it seems like a whole bunch of pressure will be on his shoulders the way people are acting already.

Spring can't get here soon enough.

Just for a little perspective ESPN says there are 13 better OT's in this class that are better than Landon Young and 20 better ILB's than Kash Daniels. I use to think ESPN was a better recruiting service than Rivals but after looking at how Rivals projections pan out I changed my thinking on that.

I haven't gone back and checked for several years. Nor did I check other schools. But rivals most always did a better job at evaluating Kentucky players than TOS or ESPN did. They were high on Woodyard, Tamme, Keenan Burton, and didn't over inflate Micah Johnson and Morgan Newton. (Those last two were always reasons people used to say that rivals was"biased" against kentucky.) They had misses. I don't need your examples. Those are just some I remembered now.

That's why I never care what other services say. Too many want to only hear good news and have excuses why every player we sign isn't projected all conference. They end up cherry picking only the highest grade.

This UK class has some guys who committed early and did not do any rivals camps. That's how you get a ranking. If Robinson camped he would be ranked lime Griffin. A guy like Ross has only played 5 games of juco. The coaches purposely had him redshirted and Ross turned down offers.

I think Ross will be the alpha male that UK sorely needs at wr. 6"6 225 and very fluid in and out of breaks.

Reactions: GJNorman
His style, granted from the little film I have seen of him reminds me of Russel Wilson. He runs when there isn't anything left open down the field. I like that he always keeps his eyes down field even when scrambling trying to make the throw instead of just taking the run. Honestly I have no clue how his time here will turn out. Just have to wait and see how his talent and skill level translate against real SEC talent.

I haven't gone back and checked for several years. Nor did I check other schools. But rivals most always did a better job at evaluating Kentucky players than TOS or ESPN did. They were high on Woodyard, Tamme, Keenan Burton, and didn't over inflate Micah Johnson and Morgan Newton. (Those last two were always reasons people used to say that rivals was"biased" against kentucky.) They had misses. I don't need your examples. Those are just some I remembered now.

That's why I never care what other services say. Too many want to only hear good news and have excuses why every player we sign isn't projected all conference. They end up cherry picking only the highest grade.
Everybody has their bias but I've come to understand and trust most of Rivals rankings. Just like our coaching staff they like to see their prospects in person before they put their stamp on the recruit.

Last edited:
Espn does evaluate the top of the class well but they just don't have the scouts to evaluate like rivals and 247 do. They are worse than anyone to slap a ranking on someone without scouting them at all.

I go by:

1.) Rivals
2.) ESPN
3.) 24/7
4.) Scout

Close gap between 2 and 3, enormous gap between 3 and 4. It's cool ESPN sees something in him but I'll wait til spring ball for true confirmation. Also depends on system fit. Just think about how many 2 stars schools like Texas Tech have thrived with.

You would think recruiting services would look at film on signed prospects and issue a final grade about a month after NSD.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT