ADVERTISEMENT

Barnhart vs Calipari: Failures in Transitional Leadership

wfc7

Senior
Mar 24, 2007
On X, a user with the handle Buddy @BigBlueBud posted that Mitch made no contact whatsoever with UK’s signed recruits after Cal left.

I think (hope) we will be okay this coming year once the dust settles and we see who Coach Pope signs. However, BOTH Mitch and Coach Cal put UK in an awful position with the (purposeful?) ill-timing of the quitting / and the unbelievably poor preparation for life without Coach Cal strategy. Sadly, they have exhibited this foul behavior before (Cal in leaving Memphis and Mitch with life after Tubby and from Brooks to Joker).

In this case, it was inexcusable for them to have allowed their relationship to get so bad that they absolutely put their own bitterness and pride above UK’s well-being. It’s simply not true that it was going to be and had to be messy whenever Coach Cal left. Executives even moderately skilled at transitional leadership would have ensured the exceedingly valuable institution, players, and supporters they were entrusted with were left better off upon their departure than this.

That being said, I hope we will redirect our energy towards supporting Mark Pope and whomever he ends up signing. We’d also be wise to realize the messiness in most of what we are seeing is due to an example of how NOT to do transitional leadership. And the accountability for that falls squarely on the shoulders of two grown men with the means and comfort most of us will only ever dream of; two experienced leaders who acted like petulant kids with each other for over two years leaving the mess for others to clean up.

Last edited:
The portal just opened here we go again. Another doom and gloom. Everyone left Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisville etc. It is going to take time. Didn't bother reading rest of your post.
Maybe if you read the post you’d see it’s not doom and gloom about what Coach Pope can still accomplish, but a fair criticism of Barnhart and Calipari’s handling of their relationship and UK Basketball that has lead us to need to replace a whole roster.

On X, a user with the handle Buddy @BigBlueBud posted that Mitch made no contact whatsoever with UK’s signed recruits after Cal left. I think (hope) we will be okay this coming year once the dust settles and we see who Coach Pope signs.

However, BOTH Mitch and Coach Cal put UK in an awful position with the (purposeful?) ill-timing of the quitting / and the unbelievably poor preparation for life without Coach Cal strategy. Both have exhibited this foul behavior before (Cal in leaving Memphis and Mitch with life after Tubby and from Brooks to Joker).

It’s inexcusable behavior by them both to have allowed their relationship to get so bad that they absolutely put their own bitterness and pride above UK. It’s simply not true that is was going to be and had to be messy whenever Coach Cal left. Executive's even moderately skilled at transitional leadership would have ensured the exceedingly valuable institution, players, and supporters of both they were entrusted with were left better off upon their departure than this.

That being said, I hope we will redirect our energy towards supporting (and not blaming) Mark Pope and whomever he ends up signing. We’d be wise to realize what we are seeing is an example of how NOT to do transitional leadership. And the blame for it falls squarely on the shoulders of two grown men with the means and comfort most of us will only ever dream who have acted like petulant kids with each other for over two years.
"On X, a user with the handle Buddy @BigBlueBud "

Lost me right there.

The portal just opened here we go again. Another doom and gloom. Everyone left Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisville etc. It is going to take time. Didn't bother reading rest of your post.

Kentucky can be simultaneously "OK" because of the coach, the program, the Nil, etc... while still having a failed AD running the show. They aren't mutually exclusive.

I've seen about all I need to see from Mitch in the last few weeks, and this is a guy who already was on shaky ground.

i always thought the new coach was the one that decided if he wanted the recruits or not

While I don’t necessarily disagree with this, nor am I saying Mitch has zero responsibility in this; I do feel that a phone call or text would/could have helped the situation. However Mitch had Cal’s initial agreement that HE was going to be the acting coach for ‘24-25, then “boom” all of a sudden no coach, and no team. So to shoulder all the blame is unfair but warranted as well.

Reactions: NociHTTP and wfc7
That Mitch is a mediocre dummy is hardly news. You’ve heard of BCG? Of “coach in waiting” Joker Philips? Of the lifetime contract with a $33 million buyout?

Compared to his well-established screw-ups failing to reach out to players who were always likely to bolt anyway is like criticizing a career criminal for Jay-walking.

While I don’t necessarily disagree with this, nor am I saying Mitch has zero responsibility in this; I do feel that a phone call or text would/could have helped the situation. However Mitch had Cal’s initial agreement that HE was going to be the acting coach for ‘24-25, then “boom” all of a sudden no coach, and no team. So to shoulder all the blame is unfair but warranted as well.
I agree. You call the recruits you’ve signed as a common courtesy even if you don’t allow them to control the process of hiring the new coach.

OP isn't wrong-you commonly have someone reach out and inform the players/recruits what's going on and ask them to stay with you until they get to speak the coach you hire. To not contact them is classless and ignorant-but I find Barnhart to fit that description perfectly.

He gets 0 pass in this mess. Cal was blasted as he should've been but don't let this goober Barnhart off the hook. He let a program of Kentucky's stature to twist in the wind because he didn't get along with the HC. It's not about 2 geezers it's about the players and fans and doing what's best to give them a chance to win/fans enjoy the program. Mitch didn't stop taking $ from fans and Cal didn't stop taking $ from University. Both were stealing and all over their own pettiness.

OP isn't wrong-you commonly have someone reach out and inform the players/recruits what's going on and ask them to stay with you until they get to speak the coach you hire. To not contact them is classless and ignorant-but I find Barnhart to fit that description perfectly.

He gets 0 pass in this mess. Cal was blasted as he should've been but don't let this goober Barnhart off the hook. He let a program of Kentucky's stature to twist in the wind because he didn't get along with the HC. It's not about 2 geezers it's about the players and fans and doing what's best to give them a chance to win/fans enjoy the program. Mitch didn't stop taking $ from fans and Cal didn't stop taking $ from University. Both were stealing and all over their own pettiness.
Exactly! Both of them lost sight of the primary objective due to the mud they were passive aggressively slinging in each others eyes.

what was MB supposed to say to the recruits
please give us a chance we are hiring a new coach and he may and may not want you................but hold tight

what was MB supposed to say to the recruits
please give us a chance we are hiring a new coach and he may and may not want you................but hold tight
Yes. That's what you do. You let them know what's going on and ask them to give the new HC a chance to talk with them. You don't ghost them. When Nick Saban retired, Greg Byrne-who is 100X the AD that Mitch Barnhart is--contacted every recruit who signed and was being recruited by Alabama and when he hired Kalen DeBoer-he told DeBoer and his GM Courtney Morgan that "You have to do all you can to land Ryan Williams" who was committed to Bama and #1 player in state and one of the top/if not top ranked WR's in the country depending on service ranking.

He felt that was important to do to keep things together. He told the team "Give me 48 hours before you go into the Portal" and had the hire done in less than that time.

Barnhart not doing that is trash. You let your new hire make those decisions and give him an opportunity to enter an exchange with some open mindedness and not having to first introduce himself to some frustrated players/parents about being left in the dark on everything.

On X, a user with the handle Buddy @BigBlueBud posted that Mitch made no contact whatsoever with UK’s signed recruits after Cal left.

I think (hope) we will be okay this coming year once the dust settles and we see who Coach Pope signs. However, BOTH Mitch and Coach Cal put UK in an awful position with the (purposeful?) ill-timing of the quitting / and the unbelievably poor preparation for life without Coach Cal strategy. Sadly, they have exhibited this foul behavior before (Cal in leaving Memphis and Mitch with life after Tubby and from Brooks to Joker).

In this case, it was inexcusable for them to have allowed their relationship to get so bad that they absolutely put their own bitterness and pride above UK’s well-being. It’s simply not true that it was going to be and had to be messy whenever Coach Cal left. Executives even moderately skilled at transitional leadership would have ensured the exceedingly valuable institution, players, and supporters of both they were entrusted with were left better off upon their departure than this.

That being said, I hope we will redirect our energy towards supporting Mark Pope and whomever he ends up signing. We’d also be wise to realize the messiness in most of what we are seeing is due to an example of how NOT to do transitional leadership. And the accountability for that falls squarely on the shoulders of two grown men with the means and comfort most of us will only ever dream of; two experienced leaders who acted like petulant kids with each other for over two years leaving the mess for others to clean up.
Do you really think the one's who are following Cal would have stayed even if Mitch contacted them. Bradshaw was leaving before Cal left, so was Theiro.

UK was never going to retain Coach Cal recruits. They came to play for him.

Travis Perry is an exception due to being a Kentucky kid who bleeds Blue.

I think we are all a little inpatient and wanted things to come together quicker... but go ahead and look around even Cal doesn't have a starting 5 yet. Also a lot of his recruits haven't jumped and followed him which is interesting.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
Yes. That's what you do. You let them know what's going on and ask them to give the new HC a chance to talk with them. You don't ghost them. When Nick Saban retired, Greg Byrne-who is 100X the AD that Mitch Barnhart is--contacted every recruit who signed and was being recruited by Alabama and when he hired Kalen DeBoer-he told DeBoer and his GM Courtney Morgan that "You have to do all you can to land Ryan Williams" who was committed to Bama and #1 player in state and one of the top/if not top ranked WR's in the country depending on service ranking.

He felt that was important to do to keep things together. He told the team "Give me 48 hours before you go into the Portal" and had the hire done in less than that time.

Barnhart not doing that is trash. You let your new hire make those decisions and give him an opportunity to enter an exchange with some open mindedness and not having to first introduce himself to some frustrated players/parents about being left in the dark on everything.
Nailed it as usual.

Assuming the reports are correct and Mitch did not make contact, that is dereliction of duty and should be a fireable offense, IMO.

Antigua was reportedly recruiting through yesterday. If that’s the case, and he was in touch with the commits, then I don’t mind Mitch not reaching out. But if no one contacted them to at least say “hey, hold off making any decisions for a few days,” then that’s terrible.

Reactions: deplion and wfc7
Mitch is equally to blame with the whole basketball mess. Cal asked for things he needed and Mitch refused both facilities and NIL. It was a toxic relationship between them. If Mitch gave Cal half the support he has committed to Pope so far, we would not be in this situation. Cal would have been more successful on the court (probably final four last year with Hunter D) and we could have hired a asst. coach in waiting of Mitch's choosing to be next up with a great transition plan similar to Duke. But instead of Mitch gaining Cal's trust so he could implement a true plan we end up with a toxic mess we will all suffer through that might prevent Pope from ever being successful here. IMO Cal needed to go but it was because of his relationship with the fans. Mitch'sjob is running the program and relationships with boosters. He is the steward of the program. Mitch is the main reason for these problems. If anyone needs to be fired, let go or ran out of town it is him.

Mitch is equally to blame with the whole basketball mess. Cal asked for things he needed and Mitch refused both facilities and NIL. It was a toxic relationship between them. If Mitch gave Cal half the support he has committed to Pope so far, we would not be in this situation. Cal would have been more successful on the court (probably final four last year with Hunter D) and we could have hired a asst. coach in waiting of Mitch's choosing to be next up with a great transition plan similar to Duke. But instead of Mitch gaining Cal's trust so he could implement a true plan we end up with a toxic mess we will all suffer through that might prevent Pope from ever being successful here. IMO Cal needed to go but it was because of his relationship with the fans. Mitch'sjob is running the program and relationships with boosters. He is the steward of the program. Mitch is the main reason for these problems. If anyone needs to be fired, let go or ran out of town it is him.
Mitch doesn't have an open checkbook for NIL or facilities, he is like the commissioner for the boosters. The guy who you can yell at and blame for the decisions the boosters make.

UK was never going to retain Coach Cal recruits. They came to play for him.

Travis Perry is an exception due to being a Kentucky kid who bleeds Blue.

I think we are all a little inpatient and wanted things to come together quicker... but go ahead and look around even Cal doesn't have a starting 5 yet. Also a lot of his recruits haven't jumped and followed him which is interesting.
I may be going inpatient until we get a signed roster for next year.

I agree. Poor stewardship especially by Barnhart.

Wait, so Jayden Quaintance chose to decommit on the 10th, one day after Calipari resigned because Mitch Barnhart didn’t contact him according to “Big Blue Bud”? Well that sounds plausible. Maybe someone should take this to the board of trustees and let them know what “Big Blue Bud” on twitter is reporting.

Barnhart literally said they were working on renovations to the Nutter Fieldhouse, a new Track and Field facility, and Memorial Coliseum renovations and when that was dont they would concentrate on the Basketball Practice Facility. He resided NIL when it’s literally against the law. More made up message board nonsense.

Mitch Barnhart talks about the basketball practice facility at 3:33. Hear it from the horses mouth instead of making up stuff.

Wait, so Jayden Quaintance chose to decommit on the 10th, one day after Calipari resigned because Mitch Barnhart didn’t contact him according to “Big Blue Bud”? Well that sounds plausible. Maybe someone should take this to the board of trustees and let them know what “Big Blue Bud” on twitter is reporting.
While I appreciate the pithyness, I don’t think anyone can easily dismiss the impact Mitch and Cal’s ridiculous feuding over the last three+ years had on the basketball program, especially the unnecessarily jagged ending.

In this case, it was inexcusable for them to have allowed their relationship to get so bad that they absolutely put their own bitterness and pride above UK’s well-being. It’s simply not true that it was going to be and had to be messy whenever Coach Cal left. Executives even moderately skilled at transitional leadership would have ensured the exceedingly valuable institution, players, and supporters they were entrusted with were left better off upon their departure than this.

That doesn’t surprise me at all honestly and I hope that this lawsuit does him in.

Reactions: d2atTech
Ahh, the continued witch hunt against Mitch. I'll bet some of you go through his trash trying to find something incriminating.

Barnhart literally said they were working on renovations to the Nutter Fieldhouse, a new Track and Field facility, and Memorial Coliseum renovations and when that was dont they would concentrate on the Basketball Practice Facility. He resided NIL when it’s literally against the law. More made up message board nonsense.

Mitch Barnhart talks about the basketball practice facility at 3:33. Hear it from the horses mouth instead of making up stuff.

Wait, is this where we get to say "ok Mitch Barnhart's kid!".. or "is that you Mitch's wife?"..

Wait, is this where we get to say "ok Mitch Barnhart's kid!".. or "is that you Mitch's wife?"..
Yup, when people can’t defend the obvious lies that they buy and help push, that’s the next step. Never address the actual topic, just deflect with complete nonsense. You can clearly hear him explaining the process behind capital projects but the truth doesn’t matter to people who have a narrative to push.

Last edited:
Reactions: saxonburgcat
I understand the concern. But I don't think it really matters. Calipari type recruits aren't Pope type recruits. Pope learned under Pitino. He's going to be running a hard nosed, developmental program.

Those Calipari recruits that left want no part of that--too much work.

I understand the concern. But I don't think it really matters. Calipari type recruits aren't Pope type recruits. Pope learned under Pitino. He's going to be running a hard nosed, developmental program.

Right, they rolled out of bed being top talents in their class, none want to work hard.

IMO, in regards to recruiting high schoolers, I would only go after the top 30 and then the top in-state kids. Those top 30 high schoolers will be able to make an immediate impact, then either go to the NBA or transfer. Those in-state kids will be the guys who will probably stay all 4 years, not because of "the name on the front of the jersey", but because they won't be able to get the amount of NIL anywhere else. The in-staters may never work out, but you can always recruit over them in the portal, which is where you get some of your biggest fish.

Mitch gave Cal enough rope to hang himself. And he did!

I'm not a Mitch defender by any stretch

My question is, who should Mitch want to return given the past 4 years.

I don't think its absurd he was going clean slate knowing Reed wasn't coming back, Z wasn't in the mix no matter what Pope said to him and the recruits that were coming here for Cal weren't staying for Pope unless UK threw big (and probably wasteful) money at them.

Looks like Pope is going to load up with older guys that fit what he wants.

Maybe none of them fit .

Reactions: saxonburgcat
Yup, when people can’t defend the obvious lies that they buy and help push, that’s the next step. Never address the actual topic, just deflect with complete nonsense. You can clearly hear him explaining the process behind capital projects but the truth doesn’t matter to people who have a narrative to push.
Are you arguing that Barnhart DID call every recruit and player and ask them to give him 48 hours, or something similar? Because if he did, he failed miserably. I believe it when that guy says he didn't. Not a single player wanted to stay? That speaks volumes and Mitch should at least be asked about this.

I am flabbergasted by your ridiculous logic. It started out bad and got worse. It's so shoddy and unfounded that I won't waste time counterpointing with you.

But here is the sentence that flipped my switch:
"That being said, I hope we will redirect our energy towards supporting Mark Pope and whomever he ends up signing." ???????

Another cal thread
Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

I am flabbergasted by your ridiculous logic. It started out bad and got worse. It's so shoddy and unfounded that I won't waste time counterpointing with you.

But here is the sentence that flipped my switch:
"That being said, I hope we will redirect our energy towards supporting Mark Pope and whomever he ends up signing." ???????
Well, okay.

Reactions: uky8unc5

If Cal type recruits aren't Pope type recruits Pope is in trouble. Everyone wants the best of the best. If not you will at best have a second rate program.

The whole Pope learned under Pitino is just garbage. Pitino's style was exciting but he didn't win anything until he got Masburn who was an extremely talented player. I was at the final four in New Orleans when he gave the ball to Masburn at the top of the key and he took his man one on one every player for the last half of the second half. We would have won if Mashburn didn't foul out. It was GREAT offense it was a great player. After that game he attracted even more great players and ended up with a team of 8 or 9 PROS before he won a championship. If you don't remember that then you weren't paying attention.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT