ADVERTISEMENT

Barbie

MatteoV25

Sophomore
Apr 18, 2020
I know everyone is just dying to have a polite conversation about this movie so let's all be on our best behavior. I'll go first, I watched it last night with the wife and we both really enjoyed it.

• Haha
Reactions: Mdnerd
Sorry but FB has this and Jason Aldean pretty well-covered if you’re looking for solid dialogue. It’s all well-thought out, very important to everyone’s daily lives and not full of trash humans at all.

Me and my GF talked about seeing it but have decided to wait until it's on a stream. Just not a movie I wanna pay 100.00 to take the fam to go see.

Haven’t seen it yet, but it looks genuinely funny, and that’s all that matters when it comes to movies. I don’t like “event” movies in the theater because of people.

I know everyone is just dying to have a polite conversation about this movie so let's all be on our best behavior. I'll go first, I watched it last night with the wife and we both really enjoyed it.

You seem like a Barbie loving type of guy 🤣

Sorry sorry sorry, non birthing person!

Down with the patriarchy!

Last edited:
This movie looks absolutely horrible. Just comically bad.

Pretty sure every single woman I know between the age of 25 and 55 got dressed up head to toe in pink and went to watch it in a big annoying group this weekend.

As a 44 year old straight dude, I’m sure they’ll do just fine without my $15.

Seems sucky to make PG-13 movie about Barbie. Every parent of an 8-9 year old Barbie fan now has to deal with the fact that it wasn’t made for their kids.

Monday: $26,100,000

Theatrical Performance
Domestic Box Office $188,122,044
International Box Office $194,200,000
Worldwide Box Office $382,322,044

I may see this at some point since I don’t mind silly shit and I like Robbie and Gosling. I get it, it’s Barbie. Clue was a board game and that was made into a good movie as well.

It’s making an absolute killing and the numbers are really impressive. Silly to deny that. It’s also silly to be upset about it.

Cruise, Nolan, and Barbie are getting people back in theaters. I didn’t see that combination happening.

Reactions: roguemocha
Monday: $26,100,000

Theatrical Performance
Domestic Box Office $188,122,044
International Box Office $194,200,000
Worldwide Box Office $382,322,044
I was told by a theater manager that this past weekend, with Barbie and Oppenheimer on, was the largest single opening week in the history of movies. I do not know if accurate.

I am planning to take take the family this weekend.

We are going to get our booster Vax shot on the way, then stop by Target for a few things. Then I will chug a few Bud Lights in the parking lot and get some Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream. Then we will put on our Masks and head to our seats practicing social distancing of course once seated

That's Saturday. Sunday was already booked because of the Drag Brunch.

It's going to be awesome. Can't wait!

History channel has good docs and caught the one on Ruth, who invented Barbie.

Clash of the Toy Titans - S1Ep2

Ruth Handler had some legal issues but was a pretty impressive woman for what she accomplished with Barbie and how she had to basically go with her gut and prove everyone wrong - which she did by creating the most profitable doll in history (may have been surpassed by now but that didn't come up in the doc).

https://time.com/6293762/barbie-movie-ruth-handler/

Also, her husband was the one that created Hot Wheels from the idea of Matchbox cars.

Barbie is the ultimate example of a Karen. Now they are trying to make her as a woke feminist in a world where men are only horrible people. Pass.

Last edited:
I was told by a theater manager that this past weekend, with Barbie and Oppenheimer on, was the largest single opening week in the history of movies. I do not know if accurate.
Well, it does cost a lot to go to the movies. So, there is that.

Grown men upset over a movie about Barbie is my favorite thing to laugh at today.

Like, damn yall, must you live in a perpetual state of manufactured outrage? Who gives a F? It’s a movie.

I’m not this movie’s target demo, so I’m gonna pass. I will not write or post a lengthy review video. Seems simple. Don’t like? Don’t go.

I will not go see it and take pages of notes like that tiny dorky looking Shapiro kid with the high pitched voice. Apparently that dude is almost 40. ooof.

Barbie is the ultimate example of a Karen. Now they are trying to make her as a woke feminist in a world where men are only horrible people. Pass.

So you were a big fan of Barbie before??

That's weird.

No one is actually upset - it’s a made up news story.

Was going to take my 6 year old daughter but it’s PG13 so I passed. My wife wants to see it so I’m trying to get her to go with our neighbor couple where the wives see Barbie and me and the other guy see the new Mission Impossible. I love that movie series and never get to go to the movies so fingers crossed!

Reactions: roguemocha
Grown men upset over a movie about Barbie is my favorite thing to laugh at today.

Like, damn yall, must you live in a perpetual state of manufactured outrage? Who gives a F? It’s a movie.

I’m not this movie’s target demo, so I’m gonna pass. I will not write or post a lengthy review video. Seems simple. Don’t like? Don’t go.

I will not go see it and take pages of notes like that tiny dorky looking Shapiro kid with the high pitched voice. Apparently that dude is almost 40. ooof.

You do you. But, Shapiro actually reviews movies as part of his job. Has for years. So, the idea that you won’t be doing that is irrelevant.

And, he also has little girls. A lot of adults evidently went to the PG13 movie. So, all the harping on Shapiro’s age is ridiculous.

I think Shapiro made a good point yesterday. He knows and stated the problems he had with the movie. Why do you have a problem with that?

• Haha
Reactions: jameslee32
Was going to take my 6 year old daughter but it’s PG13 so I passed.

Again, that is what really sucks about this. Barbies are marketed to little girls, predominantly, and Hollywood keeps making PG13 movies about traditional children characters. 6-9 is probably the target age for Barbies, but we get a PG13 movie? That places parents in a tough spot.

I'd rather watch Wonder Woman again and again and again...Did not care about Barbie before, do not care about Barbie now. Agree with some, it's just a movie. There are many movies I don't go to see, in fact, I don't go to movie theaters anymore for the most part. If I want to watch a movie, I will wait until it is almost free at home. By almost free I mean on my internet TV plan/provider that I already pay for monthly.

Oh, and by the way, Get off my lawn!

Reactions: Ron Mehico
Your 6-9 year olds see way worse stuff on cable. This movie is fine for children. The adult stuff is subtle.

Again, that is what really sucks about this. Barbies are marketed to little girls, predominantly, and Hollywood keeps making PG13 movies about traditional children characters. 6-9 is probably the target age for Barbies, but we get a PG13 movie? That places parents in a tough spot.
"Barbie" earned a PG-13 rating from the Motion Picture Association for "suggestive references" and "brief language."

As for suggestive references, one of the film's teaser trailers shows a scene on the beach where Gosling's Ken says, “I would beach you off.” Liu’s Ken responds, “I’ll beach off with you any day,” which escalates until Robbie says, “Nobody’s gonna beach anyone off.”

There are other lines of dialogue with similar puns throughout the movie, like when Kate McKinnon's Weird Barbie character quips, “I’d like to see what smooth blob he’s packing in those shorts,” in reference to a Ken character.

Characters in the film say "b----" and "crap," at times, as well as once instance of "motherf---er," which is loudly bleeped.

(I took this from Today.com article)

Having just seen the movie, these are basically the only non-PG aspects. Obviously every parent is different but if you're comfortable getting passed those scenes then it's suitable for younger kids.

"Barbie" earned a PG-13 rating from the Motion Picture Association for "suggestive references" and "brief language."

As for suggestive references, one of the film's teaser trailers shows a scene on the beach where Gosling's Ken says, “I would beach you off.” Liu’s Ken responds, “I’ll beach off with you any day,” which escalates until Robbie says, “Nobody’s gonna beach anyone off.”

There are other lines of dialogue with similar puns throughout the movie, like when Kate McKinnon's Weird Barbie character quips, “I’d like to see what smooth blob he’s packing in those shorts,” in reference to a Ken character.

Characters in the film say "b----" and "crap," at times, as well as once instance of "motherf---er," which is loudly bleeped.

(I took this from Today.com article)

Having just seen the movie, these are basically the only non-PG aspects. Obviously every parent is different but if you're comfortable getting passed those scenes then it's suitable for younger kids.

Watch it a second or third time yet?

Please tell me you have a daughter that watched it with you, or this crosses over to really creepy…

You do you. But, Shapiro actually reviews movies as part of his job. Has for years. So, the idea that you won’t be doing that is irrelevant.

And, he also has little girls. A lot of adults evidently went to the PG13 movie. So, all the harping on Shapiro’s age is ridiculous.

I think Shapiro made a good point yesterday. He knows and stated the problems he had with the movie. Why do you have a problem with that?

Shapiro made a 40+ minute video where he burned a toy doll because he was … upset over a movie for preteens??? Ben Shapiro couldn’t find the clitoris with a map and a flash light. I will always clown that little dude and it’s for being the dorkiest dork of all dorks, not for being conservative.

I see why you and Ben are kindred spirits. That stick is lodged in the same exact place. Loosen up a little.

It’s a PG-13 movie and I’m seeing people freak out like it’s NC-17. Likely the same people who freaked out over cuss words in music 35 years ago.

Shapiro made a 40+ minute video where he burned a toy doll because he was … upset over a movie for preteens???
I did not watch the video, but you know better than what your are portraying. He stated his disagreements with the movie, which were reportedly much more than the PG13 (that was my complaint)

He burned the toy as an analogy to trigger the very people it triggered.

Ben Shapiro couldn’t find the clitoris with a map and a flash light.

See triggered comment above.

I will always clown that little dude and it’s for being the dorkiest dork of all dorks, not for being conservative

See above.

I see why you and Ben are kindred spirits. That stick is lodged in the same exact place. Loosen up a little.

I did not bring up Shapiro. I simply responded to one of your shared stick buds.

It’s a PG-13 movie and I’m seeing people freak out like it’s NC-17. Likely the same people who freaked out over cuss words in music 35 years ago.

Hollywood said PG13. If you take issue with their rating system, go all Tipper Gore on them, not me. But, movies have been changed after ratings to get the more appropriate rating. There are people who think 8 year olds should be treated like 13 and others who think 13 year olds should be treated like 20. You be that guy, not me.

• Haha
Reactions: Manhattan_Cat
BTW, it’s really focking odd that @MegaBlue05 feels the need to defend the movie’s rating. It’s as if people are not permitted to have any disagreement with the Barbie film in his eyes. LOL!

As a 44 year old straight dude, I’m sure they’ll do just fine without my $15.
I want to know what kind of cuck goes to see this crap with his girlfriend? (Beside Matteo, I guess.)

If a guy takes his daughter, I totally understand.

Shapiro made a 40+ minute video where he burned a toy doll because he was … upset over a movie for preteens??? Ben Shapiro couldn’t find the clitoris with a map and a flash light. I will always clown that little dude and it’s for being the dorkiest dork of all dorks, not for being conservative.

I think you are missing the point entirely. People are mad about the political overtones that don’t belong in a children’s movie.

Watch it a second or third time yet?

Please tell me you have a daughter that watched it with you, or this crosses over to really creepy…
Have only seen it the one time, going to the movies has become a bit expensive for multiple rewatches. I said I watched it with my wife in my original post.

I want to know what kind of cuck goes to see this crap with his girlfriend? (Beside Matteo, I guess.)

If a guy takes his daughter, I totally understand.
Oh great, another obsessive bitch who can't seem to find the @ button when talking about me. Glad to know I live in that head rent free. Relax with your fake he-man mentality, it's just a movie.

Have only seen it the one time, going to the movies has become a bit expensive for multiple rewatches. I said I watched it with my wife in my original post.

Going with the wife removes some, but not all of the creep factor. However deciding to start a public discussion about it on an online forum after the fact takes it to a new level.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT