ADVERTISEMENT

Barbeque

Originally posted by bigblueinsanity:

Originally posted by Deeeefense:
Down here in Chattanooga Shuford's Smokehouse is fantastic. It's a downhome, very basic place to eat lunch Sticky Fingers is the upscale BBQ place and their ribs are awesome. We go there for dinner. If you're traveling through it's right off I75 at the Hamilton Place exit.

ec

This post was edited on 4/17 10:43 PM by Deeeefense
Isn't sticky fingers a chain?
yes it's a small one with just a few locations and I think all, are most are in Tennessee.

I ate at a Sticky Fingers in Augusta, GA. Not sure where there are others but it was pretty dang good.

Jason, enjoy your cleansing at Dovie's. The burgers are done there when they float to the top. We might have to get a burger thread going before long. Hello Ferrell's in Hopkinsville!!!!

Reactions: KYlady
Originally posted by bigblueinsanity:

Down here in Chattanooga Shuford's Smokehouse is fantastic. It's a downhome, very basic place to eat lunch Sticky Fingers is the upscale BBQ place and their ribs are awesome. We go there for dinner. If you're traveling through it's right off I75 at the Hamilton Place exit.

ec

This post was edited on 4/17 10:43 PM by Deeeefense
Isn't sticky fingers a chain?
yes it's a small one with just a few locations and I think all, are most are in Tennessee.
The first Sticky Fingers opened in Mt Pleasant, SC in 1992. Chattanooga's is OK, but the best one is in Summerville, SC. I give them a C+ only because I'm used to Sweatman's (A) and Dukes (B)

Originally posted by Festivus Miracle:

R & S is right down from the football field. The old high school. I THINK, Frances is on 4th Street. Jason probably knows better.
Toward Dovies, or on toward gamaliel? Best I ever had was Tooleys in T-ville, but I am sure he is dead by now. Alec, was his first name I think. I will try R&S next time I come home. I do love BBQ shoulder. All you get here in eastern NC is crappy, vinegar based chopped pork.

Reactions: KYlady
R&S evolved from Tooleys BBQ.
Originally posted by KyFaninNC:

R & S is right down from the football field. The old high school. I THINK, Frances is on 4th Street. Jason probably knows better.
Toward Dovies, or on toward gamaliel? Best I ever had was Tooleys in T-ville, but I am sure he is dead by now. Alec, was his first name I think. I will try R&S next time I come home. I do love BBQ shoulder. All you get here in eastern NC is crappy, vinegar based chopped pork.

Originally posted by JasonSpear:

R&S is great. I graduated high school with the guy the "R" is for. Think he left Monroe Co as the 2nd all time scoring leader for basketball. His sister, the "S" is a couple years older.

Back Yard is great.

Frances used to be on the highway halfway between Tompkinsville and Celina, TN. It burned down. Then they reopened at a spot just between the old Houchens and the Tompkinsville Elementary School. It burned down a month or so ago. So either they hire really careless workers, have bad electrical, or like to college insurance money.

JayDees in Gamaliel may top all the BBQ I've had in Monroe Co. I consider myself a bit of a BBQ snob. Had it all over the country. Monroe Co has the best BBQ in general of any one place I've ever eaten in my life. Would like to try Memphis sometime soon since I moved to Nashville.
Isn't there a place close to Wal-Mart in T-Ville?

^^^Thanks! I'll give ya a holler when I'm there. Point me in the right direction. I'm a 100-mile 'que man (for the lurkers, a 100 mile 'que person is one who will drive within a 100 mile radius for good BBQ wherever they are).

Smokey Pig here in BG for shoulder. (have it once a week, 2 sides, mac n cheese, mashed potatoes) Comes with 2 pieces of bread. $7.99 what a bargain.

Roy's BBQ in Russellville for pulled pork. Best I have had in KY (IMO) and I have had BBQ from Paducah, KY Lake area, TVille, Owensboro, etc. I Like Roy's the best. His sauce is also the best.

Another good one here in Louisville is Kinnard's BBQ. Thank me later

- Jimmy D's sides are great. The Q is just average based on what I've had there. Split Tree is my go to for lower Warren County BBQ. It won't blow you away, but it will suffice.

- I've always thought Roy's was a little overrated. I mean, it's fine for what it is, but there's not much difference between Roy and Split Tree imo. Not enough spice/heat for this Monroe County boy.

- Monroe County's "pulled pork" or "shredded" pork is their Achilles' heel. If you're not getting shoulder or chicken halves, then you could be disappointed. Tooley's ribs (now Anita's/R&S) are can't miss, but ribs anywhere else in MC are hit and miss.

Originally posted by Strokin_Bandit:

- Jimmy D's sides are great. The Q is just average based on what I've had there. Split Tree is my go to for lower Warren County BBQ. It won't blow you away, but it will suffice.

- I've always thought Roy's was a little overrated. I mean, it's fine for what it is, but there's not much difference between Roy and Split Tree imo. Not enough spice/heat for this Monroe County boy.

- Monroe County's "pulled pork" or "shredded" pork is their Achilles' heel. If you're not getting shoulder or chicken halves, then you could be disappointed. Tooley's ribs (now Anita's/R&S) are can't miss, but ribs anywhere else in MC are hit and miss.
I found that out the hard way. Was told to try the place in Burkesville. Turn right at the light there coming in, it was a little roadside place about a half mile after making the right. I got the pulled pork. Was so disappointed. Asked the lady that works with me rec'd it ( mom of a poster on here), she told me "you should have got the shoulder." I was like, "I ask who had good BBQ there ?"

I just have never really cared much for Split Tree, too greasy for me. The cornbread with pulled pork and baked beans over it is ok, but I really have to be in the mood for it. Roy's has always been very good and consistent, different stokes I guess.

Just wanted to jump in a second and brag on you posters in this thread.

This is one of the best, most enjoyable threads in the history of this board.

I absolutely LOVE good BBQ, (eating it and reading about it).

PLEASE, carry on....

Went to Smoky Pig in BG over the weekend. The shoulder was outstanding!!! The Red Mashed Potatoes were great as well. Smoke was rolling down Louisville Road. It's a good place to eat.

I just can't get into Split Tree. The sides just don't do it for me and the BBQ is very mediocre.

Originally posted by JasonSpear:

Originally posted by TransyCat09:
Lexington needs a Monroe County style BBQ junt.
party0021.r191677.gif
would clean up, no doubt.

Fun little factoid I didn't know... most of these BBQ places actually have their meat shipped to em or they come in packages (or so I assumed).

I was eating at Martin's down in Mt. Juliet Friday night and they had a crowd of 5-8 people standing around 3 workers standing above a smokey pit. It was time to flip the pig. There was a whole friggin pig on a spigot smokin in a pit that they turned every so often. Blew me away. And there I was eating chicken wings when the pig was FRESH. I was amazed. Wonder why most places don't do this and I wonder what that one pig costs/how much they make off it.
It depends on the size of the pig. In SC, pig pickin's usually run between 90-110 lbs and run about $3.00 per lb, raw. Those work best in a pit or a competition smoker. Now you can go bigger or smaller, but if you get up to around 150 lbs, the pit boss has to REALLY know what he's doing, or you split the hog (which is what my friends do). Most joints here charge around 9 bucks a lb cooked (higher in tourist traps like Charleston...Jim 'N Nick's charge $13.50 per lb)

It depends on the size of the pig. In SC, pig pickin's usually run between 90-110 lbs and run about $3.00 per lb, raw. Those work best in a pit or a competition smoker. Now you can go bigger or smaller, but if you get up to around 150 lbs, the pit boss has to REALLY know what he's doing, or you split the hog (which is what my friends do). Most joints here charge around 9 bucks a lb cooked (higher in tourist traps like Charleston...Jim 'N Nick's charge $13.50 per lb)
By no means a BBQ snob or whatever but Jim n' Nick's was so popular with my friends when I lived in Charleston but I never got the appeal. Best BBQ I had down that way was a contest out on Edisto Island. Some weird stuff but some (insert old 'bugging out eyes whoa' emoticon here) stuff as well.

Left right after Smoky Oak Taproom opened on JI. From your posts, sounds like the really good stuff is still very far away.

Also, RIP old emoticons. :( <------EAD.

I've grown to really like the NC barbeque. Some better than others. The ones I like the best are usually a hybrid of the eastern NC, not just vinegar & spices. The best in the Triangle is Smokeys Shack in Morrisville (hole in the wall place on Hwy 54).
Sad to say I've never had barbeque in T-ville even though I grew up in the county next to Monroe. Will definitely have to try some next time I visit my mom.

Bar-B-Q Shack on Pembroke Road south of Hopkinsville. Easily my favorite BBQ. Try their Red/Hot Slaw, green beans and their Burgoo is excellent.

I don't have the iron colon I used to have. Age has softened the intestines somewhat. But at one time, I could eat fire and one of the hottest things I ever put in my mouth was a thing called "Poolroom Slaw" at a BBQ and Catfish place in Cookeville, Tennessee. It was very spicy but very tasty. I remember their BBQ as good but not memorable.

I've lived in the Nashville area for almost 15 years and have never found BBQ that I would consider halfway decent compared to what I've found in Kentucky. Any suggestions for something exceptional here local? TIA.

I have frequented Nashville a lot for many years. There is some decent bbq around but no way compare's to Monroe County. For a colon fire, I just go to Hattie B's Hot Chicken in Nashville. That said, surely there are some good bbq places in the outlying areas around Music City. Jack's might be the best in downtown, but it seems very mediocre.

Center Point is not bad, but if I remember right they do not do shoulder.

For whoever it was that mentioned the bbq place on Jekyll Island, if you are there again try Southern Soul BBQ on St. Simons Island.

I've grown to really like the NC barbeque. Some better than others. The ones I like the best are usually a hybrid of the eastern NC, not just vinegar & spices. The best in the Triangle is Smokeys Shack in Morrisville (hole in the wall place on Hwy 54).
Sad to say I've never had barbeque in T-ville even though I grew up in the county next to Monroe. Will definitely have to try some next time I visit my mom.

Well, we have world's famous Bill's Bar=B-Q and Parkers here in Wilson. Bill's has a buffet and has a pig on the menu and it is pretty good. Wilburs in Goldsboro has the best pulled pork I have eaten around here. If you and wife want to take a little drive down to Wilson, try Bills. If you are lucky enough to get to Bills right after they put out a new pig, you can get the good tenderloin off it. :)

Anyone like the S. Carolina mustard style?
Also coleslaw does not suppose to have ketchup in it. :eek:

The mustard style is ok for a change of pace, but not something I would perfer to eat. I will make one exception, there is a NY style pizza place here in the Triangle that on Mondays has a barbeque chicken pizza where the mustard bbq sauce is used as the base, and that is REALLY good.

JonathanW recommends Cheesecake Factory pork & Chili's Babyback ribs.

You really have become an obsessed stalker, and it is pretty sad. What does your comments even have to do with good bbq? You have proven to be one of the worst posters on this board.

As to your asinine comments, I couldn't tell you the last time I ate at the Cheesecake Factory, probably 5-6 years ago, but I'll take your word if you say they have pork bbq; and we do occasionally eat at Chilli's because my 8yo likes it and their ribs are ok.

My grandfather made his own sauce, or "sop", which I've never been able to duplicate. Vinegar based, it had some mix of lemons, onions, red pepper, other spices and who knows what else. It had either no/or very very little ketchup or sugar so it didn't have the thick BBQ sauce texture or taste. He would use it to baste the meat and then we would use the leftovers for the sandwiches.

I've tried to make it many times, but never able to get it just right.

Reactions: jedwar
I love barbeque, but not an expert on how to cook it, but I ate at Calhoun's in Knoxville last week and they "specialize" in ribs so I got some. The ribs seemed to be cooked ok...very tender, but their "award winning" sauce was terrible. I asked the waitress if they had anything else and she looked at me kinda weird and said no.

I ended up eating the dry, but I guess I'm a sauce person because I love the sweet sauce at Sonny's Barbeque.

Reactions: DaytonKat
Good barbecue and good sauce are a great marriage. If one is not up to par, the other suffers.

Jason, do you remember Ms. Tooley cooking on the bed springs over coals in Fountain Run? Just up the road was a grocery store (Howard's Grocery) and they had a soft drink machine that had drinks that would burst your teeth it was so cold! A great Saturday trip before college football games came on. That might have been a little before your time.

Jonathan, when back in Allen County, take the 50 minute drive to T-ville and try some R & S Barbecue. You won't be disappointed.

WettCat, I have tried to make my own BBQ sauce at home and I just can't come close to the great sauce served in the fine establishments around here. I suppose it takes a lot of experience and knowledge passed along. Willie can dunk on a lob. I just cannot.

Reactions: WettCat
where I'm from it's usually the sauce that people use to compare joints. It's all vinegar based, but there's slight variations people add/change that makes the differences. IMO, it's both. Cooking the meat just the right way to get it good and tender in the center but leaving a little crispiness around the edges (shoulder at least) is what I love. Most places around Monroe Co have mild sauce and a hot sauce and they can sprinkle it, brush it, or dip it before serving. I always go with the "dipped hot" on a plate and there's so much sauce in the container that you can soak the bread in it after you've made a sandwich and it's ridiculously good.

Couldnt have said it better myself

Well, you can leave The Woodshed in Hopkinsville off of any "good / great" list. I went to visit my new grand baby yesterday and we had it. Awful, if you have not had anything to eat that day, and it is 1:30, and you eat the beans, cornbread, and leave ANY of the pulled pork, it means it sucks.

Remember a old black man in Princeton, Ky Jewell's I think was the name his place. Good stuff, but it has been 25 years or so.

I've driven by The Woodshed many times on my way to Murray but never ate there. Seems like always a crowd there though. Good report to know!

Well it has good food, but the pulled pork is not. The BBQ chicken is real good. Other things are solid, it is just I find the pork to be too greasy and a bit dry in some parts (I know greasy and dry does not seem possible), some people may like the crispy ends, I don't care for it. I like my pulled pork very moist and of the same texture throughout. Sauce is very good, a thinner sauce for my liking, but very tasty. Wife and kids love it, different strokes and that kind of thing I guess.

Baked beans are some of the best around, lots or green peppers throughout (which I like), thick and tangy flavor. I mean for $7.50 you get a very generous portion and 3 sides, choice of roll, cornbread, or white bread.

Here in NC, a popular & often very good side dish (w/ barbeque) is something called Brunswick stew. It's basically some meat (sometimes pulled pork, sometimes chicken) with some vegetables (corn, lima beans, maybe a few diced potatoes), and a thick sauce spiced similar to the barbeque.
Also (in NC) almost anytime you get barbeque, it comes with hush puppies (instead of a roll). This is a big improvement.
They also (in NC) like to put slaw on their barbeque (pulled pork) sandwiches. I don't really care for that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT