ADVERTISEMENT

Barbeque

My favorite bbq story happened a few years back in Memphis. We met some friends in Memphis for the weekend and obviously bbq was the meal of choice each day. We tried Rendezvous and also a place called Germantown Commissary which was excellent and the best que we had in Memphis. I was in the lobby and asking some locals which places they suggested to try. Was talking to one of the cleaning ladies and she said you have to go to Corky's. I had eaten at Corky's in Lexington a while back but figured it originated in Memphis so we should probably check it out. She was getting on the elevator and stopped me to add "you know where else has good barbeque?" With a straight face and serious as a heart attack she says "Applebee's riblet platter." Needless to say we opted to disregard her suggestions on local bbq.

Here in NC, a popular & often very good side dish (w/ barbeque) is something called Brunswick stew. It's basically some meat (sometimes pulled pork, sometimes chicken) with some vegetables (corn, lima beans, maybe a few diced potatoes), and a thick sauce spiced similar to the barbeque.
Also (in NC) almost anytime you get barbeque, it comes with hush puppies (instead of a roll). This is a big improvement.
They also (in NC) like to put slaw on their barbeque (pulled pork) sandwiches. I don't really care for that.

Looks like it has been eaten once already. I can't eat that stuff. :D

I second the post about Southern Soul BBQ on St Simon's Island in GA. While I was down at FLETC for training in Brunswick, I ate Southern Soul no less than 3 times a week. Over a 3 week span, I had to have went 10-12 times total. They had some nice looking little hussies working too.

My favorite is ribs and I have never eaten better ribs than Mike Lee's Rib Barn in Cumberland, KY back in the early 90's. It was nothing more than a little out building/storage shed no bigger than a Snow Cone stand with a big smoker outside of it set up in town. Mike has since passed away but he fixed some of the best ribs I've ever had. He's simply wrap em in foil, give you two or 3 pieces of light bread and a cup of slaw. Perfection.

I hate y'all. I haven't had good or any BBQ for 2 years and 1 month. sniff sniff. Another reason to hate northern IN. Old Hickory beats the heck out of Moonlite. I was too young we when lived in Tville to appreciate Frances BBQ or Tooley's. Did love Dovie's though.

Near Cookeville TN I did have some of the best sliced shoulder ever (that I remember).

Going back to western KY Mother's Day weekend which is also the bbq fest. I might have to sneak in and take some to Mom's for us to enjoy.

Here in Louisville a place called Frank's on Preston serves the biggest pulled pork sandwich I've ever seen on Wednesdays and Fridays only. Real good sandwich

For dry rub wings I go to Momma Mustards on Hurstbourne or the other location down in St Matts area.

I grew up in Owensboro so I was raised on Old Hickory but I might actually prefer Mark's burgoo here to theirs. I like the thickness and spice to it. I know Marks isn't backyard shacky enough for some of y'all but I dig that burgoo.

Someone earlier was looking for a place in Nashville-Nolensville has a place called Martin's that is pretty popular.

Planning on going to Owensboro for the BBQ fest in a couple of weeks

Germantown Commissary so good you'll slap yo momma. We took a pie home, and that thing was filled with secondhand BBQ smoke.

My gosh. Paducah is hands down the best BBQ in the discussion. Eating in Memphis, Atl. Dreamland, NC, Texas etc.. Leigh's BBQ has the best BBQ shoulder, Starnes has very good BBQ and great sauce that you can buy in Krogers locally. They toast their sandwiches, Leigh's BBQ is better but not as cut up and not toasted but will do so. Both have great vinegar base sauces, no slathered up ketch up and smoke. No mustard or anything added.
Harned's is great, there are little guys in the back yard in Paducah that do better BBQ than Louisville-Lexington or Owensboro. Hell the Kountry Kastle has better BBQ than Memphis joints or BBQ places I have had in South.

Knoths to me is not W. Ky BBQ, more stuff you get in Memphis or places they throw BBQ at non Southerners and say this is BBQ. Don't like their sauce.

I hate y'all. I haven't had good or any BBQ for 2 years and 1 month. sniff sniff. Another reason to hate northern IN. Old Hickory beats the heck out of Moonlite. I was too young we when lived in Tville to appreciate Frances BBQ or Tooley's. Did love Dovie's though.

Near Cookeville TN I did have some of the best sliced shoulder ever (that I remember).

Going back to western KY Mother's Day weekend which is also the bbq fest. I might have to sneak in and take some to Mom's for us to enjoy.

My sympathies for having to live there. If you are in rural area, not so bad, otherwise best of luck to you.

Haha. Big ol false.

The fact that you refer to it as "Krogers" also makes it difficult for me to take you seriously.

Starnes BBQ sauce is so good that Kroger's sells it locally, maybe you need to read next time. I put Paducah BBQ and Starnes and Leigh's sauce and shoulder up with anyone anywhere especially in KY. Hell Harned's is better than any other place in state.

You South Central KY BBQ guys are cute with your love for your home area. But the Paducah area is the runaway winner.

ADVERTISEMENT