ADVERTISEMENT

Article on J Murray....thoughts?

Nice article. It's sad to see Hoops writing for Bleacher Report, but I guess it's better than nothing. He did get one thing wrong though. Enes Kanter also went for 30+ in the NHS game.

I know I will get some hits but too bad, I am not entirely sold. Yes he was awesome at times. In fact other than Bennett, he was the best player on the team. There was times I was giddy with excitement and "wowed" by his play. But, the competition to a certain degree remains suspect. When they played Brazil, he was often schooled and same actually was true for 3 quarters against the USA. Then he caught fire. When he is on fire, he is fantastic. But, he got lost on defense several times giving up easy open looks throughout the tourney as well. Most of the competition was not elite college players or superstars. Some I never even heard of.

I see him as someone with super potential whom I hope is realized in his year at Kentucky. But, it does some good but not perfect for some of these kids to reach their potential AFTER leaving the program.

I also still am concerned about how he does without being the one with the ball in his hand. How will he be with Ulis playing the point guard? Will he still function at that high level or do both need to play separately. I know in this past question many have responded like it is no issue. It is. His 3's and drives were almost always when he had the ball in his hands and not catching and shooting like Haslip. I do anticipate the return of the dribble drive and Cal is recruiting saying "position-less" play. We will have to see how that all works out.

Nevertheless, I am very excited as everyone else on what we have seen and I hope that he will be the awesome player we all want to have occur. Let's give him a chance.

I know I will get some hits but too bad, I am not entirely sold. Yes he was awesome at times. In fact other than Bennett, he was the best player on the team. There was times I was giddy with excitement and "wowed" by his play. But, the competition to a certain degree remains suspect. When they played Brazil, he was often schooled and same actually was true for 3 quarters against the USA. Then he caught fire. When he is on fire, he is fantastic. But, he got lost on defense several times giving up easy open looks throughout the tourney as well. Most of the competition was not elite college players or superstars. Some I never even heard of.

I see him as someone with super potential whom I hope is realized in his year at Kentucky. But, it does some good but not perfect for some of these kids to reach their potential AFTER leaving the program.

I also still am concerned about how he does without being the one with the ball in his hand. How will he be with Ulis playing the point guard? Will he still function at that high level or do both need to play separately. I know in this past question many have responded like it is no issue. It is. His 3's and drives were almost always when he had the ball in his hands and not catching and shooting like Haslip. I do anticipate the return of the dribble drive and Cal is recruiting saying "position-less" play. We will have to see how that all works out.

Nevertheless, I am very excited as everyone else on what we have seen and I hope that he will be the awesome player we all want to have occur. Let's give him a chance.
Where do you get that the competition was suspect? He went against the best college players did the U.S., like Trimble, Baker, Valentine and did well. The pro players like Langford were at least at the level of elite college players. The competition he faced there will be better than the vast majority of any competition he faces in college.

Reactions: brianpoe
Murray will not just be the best Gaurd, but likely the best player in College next year.. People are underestimating him because he don't have a 40inch Vertical or that he's not 6'7..

Last edited:

You realize Trimble who will be first team presason all American could not get off the bench for the US right? You also realize that Wiltjer who will also be a preseason all American could not get off the Canada bench. Murray is a level ahead of all incoming players and maybe all college players.

Reactions: UK2005_24

Yes, you deserve to be bashed. Murray played against pro competition and was one of the youngest players playing. The competition he played in 5 consecutive days was better than anything he'll see while playing at UK.

ADVERTISEMENT