ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone kinda excited about the team?

Yeah I agree, but doesn’t that suck? We can’t get excited for the season anymore without risking huge disappointment.,
Exactly, I've been excited preseason even the past couple of years only to be really let down. Even bought SEC Tourney tickets early last year and we know how that turned out. Think I'll watch it on TV this season.

Thanks for posting, Ellen (or Erin Or Megan.)

40-0.

That you Brad?

How's it feel swinging from Cal's nutsack?

Okay -- all the trite, moronic, played-out cliches the trolls love are out of the way.

Yes. I'm excited to see what this mix of promising young kids, a couple proven veterans and a couple sophomores with huge upsides can do.
How does it feel to post dumb posts?

My problem is regardless of how we perform in the regular season, I'm still salty from the last 2 tournaments. I will not be confident going into March. I refuse to let myself get that way again.
Some strange things have happened in the tourney lately, but I'm not sure you can blame it all on the coach when your best shooter goes one for infinity.

• Haha
Reactions: KFuqua
Yes totally. Talent this year is beyond anything we’ve seen since the Quickly and Maxey year. Cal has revamped the coaching staff and looks to have closed some gaps in the last year. Yes I’m excited for the season. Be a fool not to be.

bur I will also say my enthusiasm is muted. Concerned over guys gelling, injuries, outside influences has robbed some of that diminished that enthusiasm in Cals early years. Be a fool not to be.

Reactions: Kybluedude
I’m looking forward to watching this team play. I have to admit I’m worried about when bradshaw will be back and healthy though. I think Edwards and Wagner are going to be really good players for us. I think those two won’t have much trouble adapting to playing high level, college competition.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I'm always excited to see the start of a new season. Hopefully this one gets off to a better start, better middle and better end than the last few seasons.

I guess we should be excited, I keep reading how this is the exact type of team Cal has to have to win. Man I hope so, because he can't do shit with experience and proven players.

I have been saying for a while that Cal needs a roster that has some balance between talent and experience.

You need some elite Freshmen, some returning players, and 1-2 portal players to fill in the blanks.

If we look at the projected top 9 for next season, the guys expected to play most of the minutes, we have some elite Freshmen (Wagner, Edwards, Bradshaw, Dillingham, Sheppard), some returning players (Reeves, Onyenso, Thiero), and a portal player (Mitchell).

I would like to get another transfer big to give us some more experience, but as is this team has some potential. A little young, but very talented.

Not me. Just my opinion. If they had gotten a top-notch veteran big man out of the transfer portal and had Calipari shut up about the NBA when showing transfers around, I'd be excited.
Why did cal talking about NBA make you less excited.?
You would have been happy with one of the really good big men, until they played plow ball and then you would be the normal pessimistic fan around here

Yes Im excited, right now anything is possible. New team new attitude

As an eternal optimist on everything, yes I am very excited.

I'm not as down on Cal as most are. I've said before, he can stay or go not a big deal either way. No homerun hire out there and he is falling off.
  • 19 - was a good year, refs don't give Auburn 9 minutes of foul immunity, we go to the final 4.
  • 20 - Maxey, Quickley, Richards deserved a shot and would have done well. Stinking Kung Flu
  • 21 - No excuses, that was ridiculous
  • 22 - Really good team, injuries got us late and we finally got upset in round 1, last of the Blue Bloods to do so. When healthy that team curb-stomped both title game teams
  • 23 - Team was who they were, a second round team
This year, I feel like Welch is a great addition. At his age and stage of career he doesn't come here without assurances that Cal is going to listen and use him correctly.

Lastly, and most importantly. This team looks like the Cal teams of old.
  • Lots of top end talent
  • Alpha Dogs in DJ, Edwards, and maybe Dillingham
  • Versatility from big men Bradshaw and Mitchell
  • Shot blocking in Ugonna and Bradshaw
Am I excited, yes I am. But I am every year

I have been saying for a while that Cal needs a roster that has some balance between talent and experience.

You need some elite Freshmen, some returning players, and 1-2 portal players to fill in the blanks.

If we look at the projected top 9 for next season, the guys expected to play most of the minutes, we have some elite Freshmen (Wagner, Edwards, Bradshaw, Dillingham, Sheppard), some returning players (Reeves, Onyenso, Thiero), and a portal player (Mitchell).

I would like to get another transfer big to give us some more experience, but as is this team has some potential. A little young, but very talented.
To me, the perfect roster has a solid core of veterans that have proven themselves + the addition of 2 or 3 top shelf freshmen. Add in a couple lower ranked frosh for depth too.

This roster is flipped. We have a core of top shelf freshmen and a couple of veterans sprinkled in.

If this team is going to be any good, the freshmen are going to have to live up to their billings from the jump.

Can't take on 5 or 6 losses while these kids learn the ropes. The SEC is going to be tough, so if we lose a bunch of games in Nov and Dec, we could be looking at 10 losses and a bad seed.

Some strange things have happened in the tourney lately, but I'm not sure you can blame it all on the coach when your best shooter goes one for infinity.
Ok, fair enough. Then recruit more than one shooter. And before you say CJ Fredrick, understand that when he was at Iowa he played in an offense that got him open looks. Cal's AAU offense did not fit his skill set and that's been a big problem the last several years. Cal has not scouted his own guys well enough to know their strengths, weaknesses and limitations. And he never took into account CJ's injury history. Can't count on a guy who's always injured.

Reactions: KFuqua and kyjeff1
I’m probably considered a “Rafter rat”??

I’m still excited because I’m a UK fan. As are most of the “rats”. Justin Edwards is exciting.

People have to stop mistaking realists for “rats” and “trolls”. Some people just call it like they see it.
If your not one extreme of the other and sit in towards the middle then people consider you a rat. It’s okay to point at problems while also being excited about the potential of players and the long term fit. This team still needs a center(maybe they get one in August) but it’s okay to be cautiously optimistic

Reactions: Jamal Mercer
To me, the perfect roster has a solid core of veterans that have proven themselves + the addition of 2 or 3 top shelf freshmen. Add in a couple lower ranked frosh for depth too.

This roster is flipped. We have a core of top shelf freshmen and a couple of veterans sprinkled in.

If this team is going to be any good, the freshmen are going to have to live up to their billings from the jump.

Can't take on 5 or 6 losses while these kids learn the ropes. The SEC is going to be tough, so if we lose a bunch of games in Nov and Dec, we could be looking at 10 losses and a bad seed.
With the way the tourney is now though, these mid major teams are getting better and the supposed beat teams have a smaller gap then they used. The best teams should still win but they aren’t dominating like they used to. The best of the best will still come up, but these tourney games aren’t huge mismatches anymore. Now Kentucky I agree cannot lose 10-12 games but I think they can have a season similar to what UConn did in the regular season by going 23-8 or something similar to that and getting really hot late

With the way the tourney is now though, these mid major teams are getting better and the supposed beat teams have a smaller gap then they used. The best teams should still win but they aren’t dominating like they used to. The best of the best will still come up, but these tourney games aren’t huge mismatches anymore. Now Kentucky I agree cannot lose 10-12 games but I think they can have a season similar to what UConn did in the regular season by going 23-8 or something similar to that and getting really hot late
Parity in college basketball has never been like this. Every program is taking basketball seriously now. That never used to be the case.

This is the wrong year to be young though. This might be the oldest college basketball has ever been. There are going to be teams with multiple 25 year olds playing. Florida Atlantic and San Diego proved what mature teams can do and they'll be mature again this year.

If this UK team gets to the final 4, It'll be the type of team the FF hasn’t seen in quite a long time. Teams this young haven’t been making it anywhere near that far.

Get one more long and athletic 5 and I'll believe it can happen.

I crave the "good old days" of knowing UK basketball would be a threat to win the big dance every year. No way can I keep from being excited to watch our teams take the court.

The only worry I have is will Cal let Welch actually have any influence when it comes to closing out a close game.

I use to believe, and I want to believe again. Changes have to be made or we will just keep fading away.

This post is like Bambi going for a sweet swim, but in a dark toxic pond where corrosive, mangled and misshapen beasts pick up it's sweet scent and rise in mass with gnashing, foul-mouthed jaws .

Parity in college basketball has never been like this. Every program is taking basketball seriously now. That never used to be the case.

This is the wrong year to be young though. This might be the oldest college basketball has ever been. There are going to be teams with multiple 25 year olds playing. Florida Atlantic and San Diego proved what mature teams can do and they'll be mature again this year.

If this UK team gets to the final 4, It'll be the type of team the FF hasn’t seen in quite a long time. Teams this young haven’t been making it anywhere near that far.

Get one more long and athletic 5 and I'll believe it can happen.
Yeah that’s gonna be a problem but if we have young guys I rather them be what Kentucky has and talented and can develop into something. If this august transfer wave happens hopefully Kentucky finds a big

Reactions: kyjeff1
Always ready for the next edition of UK basketball. I have learned to temper my expectation due to the hype that seems to come with all of Cal's teams. Hopefully we get a more realistic take on this team in Canada than we did last year in the Bahamas

I hope we can add one more big in August.

I’ve been bummed out with the direction the program has taken. Rafters won’t like it but I’m honestly excited to watch this UK crew and the build of the roster.

Kills me every year the season ends. Stated I’ve been ready for some new direction and focus for UK bball- although I can’t think of a home run hire- but I find myself excited to see this UK team.

The interviews show a likable bunch and I think easy to pull for. Young and bulletproof. Team oriented. Admittedly I hope the hire of John Welch makes a huge difference in the offense.

Hoping that we are seeing Cal starting to develop a core group with Sheppard, Thiero, Burks, Hart and Ugo. Like to add Travis Perry next year and Jasper Johnson after that. Keep a core group from here on out.

Do think we have more innate bball players with multiple skills. Shooters, ball handling plus passing. Bball IQ. Several coaches’ kids. Squad resembles a 90s type UK team. High ceiling if it comes together including coaching. Worry a bit about rebounding and defense.

Do suggest Cal keep an eye on the portal for one more rim protector.

With all that said this shapes up to be an entertaining journey! I’m ready.
Players are not the problem.....it is the coaching!!

I'll get excited when and if this young but talented team shows they can succeed in spite of Cal. Only Cal's most talented teams have been able to overcome his coaching deficiencies.

Reactions: KFuqua and kyjeff1
As an eternal optimist on everything, yes I am very excited.

I'm not as down on Cal as most are. I've said before, he can stay or go not a big deal either way. No homerun hire out there and he is falling off.
  • 19 - was a good year, refs don't give Auburn 9 minutes of foul immunity, we go to the final 4.
  • 20 - Maxey, Quickley, Richards deserved a shot and would have done well. Stinking Kung Flu
  • 21 - No excuses, that was ridiculous
  • 22 - Really good team, injuries got us late and we finally got upset in round 1, last of the Blue Bloods to do so. When healthy that team curb-stomped both title game teams
  • 23 - Team was who they were, a second round team
This year, I feel like Welch is a great addition. At his age and stage of career he doesn't come here without assurances that Cal is going to listen and use him correctly.

Lastly, and most importantly. This team looks like the Cal teams of old.
  • Lots of top end talent
  • Alpha Dogs in DJ, Edwards, and maybe Dillingham
  • Versatility from big men Bradshaw and Mitchell
  • Shot blocking in Ugonna and Bradshaw
Am I excited, yes I am. But I am every year
best post in the thread

Reactions: AGEE11
I crave the "good old days" of knowing UK basketball would be a threat to win the big dance every year. No way can I keep from being excited to watch our teams take the court.

The only worry I have is will Cal let Welch actually have any influence when it comes to closing out a close game.

I use to believe, and I want to believe again. Changes have to be made or we will just keep fading away.
what do you consider the good ole days
from 98 until Cal we only had 2 years you could say we were at least threat to win it all and i doubt you could have said that at the beginning of 98

Yep. 10 years ago could you have imagined 16 seeds beating 1 seeds twice in 5 years? I couldn’t have. NIL and the transfer portal has turned the sport on its head

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Yes I’m excited and I’m really really gonna try to not post or say anything negative about Uk sports again until the season starts (if I have anything to be negative about then)

That said, the team we saw in the Bahamas last year was a TOTALLY different team than we saw during the season. I don’t care how bad the competition was, they still were running an offense built around guards and spacing (mostly cause Oscar wasn’t playing), and then we never did that again when Oscar came back.

So I am cautiously optimistic. The fact that they are so active on defense, seem to really like each other, and share the ball so well are all things that should translate to the regular season even when the big guys come back. With that amount of talent, if they continue on that path they can be really good.

But we should have been really good last year too. This team is more talented but we had plenty last year. I think their struggles were in large part because they just didn’t like each other that much personally. It’s hard to overcome that. My point is I’m excited but I’m not gonna beat my chest about the team or act like we’re back until I see it

I will also really try to not be negative online. I suggest some of y’all do the same cause at this point, the team is what it is and the best thing we can do is support them.

I like the team a lot. But there hasn't been a team or player I didn't like.

It's the coaching that has been terrible. I just wish we had a different coach at this point.

what do you consider the good ole days
from 98 until Cal we only had 2 years you could say we were at least threat to win it all and i doubt you could have said that at the beginning of 98
You have no idea what you are talking about. There were at least 3 other years under Tubby where we were basically the best team in the country. The real drought has been since 2015.

You have no idea what you are talking about. There were at least 3 other years under Tubby where we were basically the best team in the country. The real drought has been since 2015.
it is apparent that you were locked in the basement during the Tubby years

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT