ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone kinda excited about the team?

Kybluedude

All-SEC
Nov 19, 2005
I’ve been bummed out with the direction the program has taken. Rafters won’t like it but I’m honestly excited to watch this UK crew and the build of the roster.

Kills me every year the season ends. Stated I’ve been ready for some new direction and focus for UK bball- although I can’t think of a home run hire- but I find myself excited to see this UK team.

The interviews show a likable bunch and I think easy to pull for. Young and bulletproof. Team oriented. Admittedly I hope the hire of John Welch makes a huge difference in the offense.

Hoping that we are seeing Cal starting to develop a core group with Sheppard, Thiero, Burks, Hart and Ugo. Like to add Travis Perry next year and Jasper Johnson after that. Keep a core group from here on out.

Do think we have more innate bball players with multiple skills. Shooters, ball handling plus passing. Bball IQ. Several coaches’ kids. Squad resembles a 90s type UK team. High ceiling if it comes together including coaching. Worry a bit about rebounding and defense.

Do suggest Cal keep an eye on the portal for one more rim protector.

With all that said this shapes up to be an entertaining journey! I’m ready.

I’ve been bummed out with the direction the program has taken. Rafters won’t like it but I’m honestly excited to watch this UK crew and the build of the roster.

Kills me every year the season ends. Stated I’ve been ready for some new direction and focus for UK bball- although I can’t think of a home run hire- but I find myself excited to see this UK team.

The interviews show a likable bunch and I think easy to pull for. Young and bulletproof. Team oriented. Admittedly I hope the hire of John Welch makes a huge difference in the offense.

Hoping that we are seeing Cal starting to develop a core group with Sheppard, Thiero, Burks, Hart and Ugo. Like to add Travis Perry next year and Jasper Johnson after that. Keep a core group from here on out.

Do think we have more innate bball players with multiple skills. Shooters, ball handling plus passing. Bball IQ. Several coaches’ kids. Squad resembles a 90s type UK team. High ceiling if it comes together including coaching. Worry a bit about rebounding and defense.

Admittedly being a former baseball guy I’ve got a short memory. You learn quick with so many games not to dwell on the past.

Thanks for posting, Ellen (or Erin Or Megan.)

40-0.

That you Brad?

How's it feel swinging from Cal's nutsack?

Okay -- all the trite, moronic, played-out cliches the trolls love are out of the way.

Yes. I'm excited to see what this mix of promising young kids, a couple proven veterans and a couple sophomores with huge upsides can do.

Last edited:

I have been pretty excited for this upcoming season's installment of UK basketball ever since we solidified the freshman class.

So even before we knew Reeves was returning and Mitchell was joining, I was beyond excited to see these talented freshman play. Adding Reeves and Mitchell only increases my overall excitement.

Hoping Bradshaw returns at 100% and the injury doesn't linger...but this freshman class reminds me of the prototypical class that we have become spoiled by since Cal has come aboard. Super excited to see how they all perform.

I’m more excited than I have been largely bc we do not have the personnel for Cal to run a 5 and two 4s out on the court as your 5,4,3 and then try to play plow ball.

We are essentially being forced to play small ball with a skilled 4 in Mitchell but still a long backcourt. (I’ll believe Bradshaw plays when I see him take the court). Even if Bradshaw comes back and Cal tries a Ugo, Bradshaw, Mitchell lineup….that’s still more skilled then the 3 big man lineups we’ve seen ran out there in the past. Mitchell reminds me a lot of a sophomore PJ Washington type game w potentially slightly better perimeter skills.

If we use the personnel we have to their strengths then we are playing a skilled style of basketball w good speed and good length at the 1-3 or 1-4 and that’s what wins in College. It goes against every bone (and past historical evidence) that Cal has but he won’t have a choice. This team should reflect his UMASS and early Memphis days before he could just try to recruit a ton of big men NBA potential guys.

I think most fans would have guarded expectations but excited to see the team play (and hope). It concerned me though in one of those practice videos (and I forget which player they were interviewing) that he talked about learning dribble drive. If Cal is going to have the same old tired offense that will be very disappointing.

Hard to get excited when you have the shell of a coach we have running the program.

I'm not going to buy in again like I have for the last 7-8 seasons. I hope this team does well but, my expectations are for a season no different from the last couple. We haven't won the SEC in quite a while and we haven't been a contender for a championship either. As I said in another post along these same lines, Bird and Jordan could both be on this roster and Calipari would find a way to screw it up.
Hate me all you like but, past results and numbers don't lie.

karen smith raises hand GIF

Am I excited to see the young guards and the possibility of an up-tempo true outside-in or 4 out 1 up offense? Yes.

Do I think that Cal will try to return to his old ways? Yes.
I sure hope he does. 4 FF’s in 6 years?

Hell yeah!!

I’m very excited about this team.

I’m in a wait and see mode. If they do well in the OOC portion of the schedule, I’ll get some excitement going into league play. But I’m not going into next season with any real expectations.

Reactions: cats2010
I think most fans would have guarded expectations but excited to see the team play (and hope). It concerned me though in one of those practice videos (and I forget which player they were interviewing) that he talked about learning dribble drive. If Cal is going to have the same old tired offense that will be very disappointing.
Dribble drive with some new twists from Welch will be fine. If our defense is as poor as it was last year, though, it won't matter what O we are running.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I’m excited for the season and think we can be a good team. The Rafter Rats will definitely try to tell you how to think, though.

Nothing wrong with getting excited. I'm trying to temper expectations until Bradshaw comes back 100 percent.

I am excited and have been. I made a whole thread a back in May saying so and I am still excited about seeing all those things. See below.
I honestly can't wait to watch Edwards, Bradshaw, Dillingham, Wagner, Reed, Onyenso, Thiero, & whoever else joins.

My favorite player last year was Reeves (I hope he comes back) by far and if he leaves that sucks but there are also other things I want to see.

I want to see:

Edwards and that smooth lefty game, some of my favorite UK players of all time have been lefties. I think he's a difference-maker.

Bradshaw at the stretch 4 and protecting the rim, I think he might have some Cauley Stein-type plays.

Dillingham and that handle and quick release on shots, really never had that guy in my time as a fan (Harrow doesn't count)

Wagner, I want to see if he is that alpha competitor who could be a Brandon Knight type that just makes plays

Reed, his dad was one of my favorites and I want to see how his game translates to college (I think it will be better than a lot think)

Onyenso, I want to see if there is a Nick Richards skill jump that happens thanks to more PT

Thiero, I just love how he competes, think he could be a big surprise impact-wise

I know the sky is falling but I'm excited to see what these guys can do.

Reactions: jauk11
Thanks for posting, Ellen (or Erin Or Megan.)

40-0.

That you Brad?

How's it feel swinging from Cal's nutsack?

Okay -- all the trite, moronic, played-out cliches the trolls love are out of the way.

Yes. I'm excited to see what this mix of promising young kids, a couple proven veterans and a couple sophomores with huge upsides can do.
You forgot "Cal can't coach" "Cal is fat" "CCC" and several other hilariously witty nicknames posters on here have.

Dribble drive with some new twists from Welch will be fine. If our defense is as poor as it was last year, though, it won't matter what O we are running.
DDMO was a marketing pitch.

Not something we ever played.

But you are correct on the defense.

We haven’t had an offense problem.

We haven’t played defense for 4 seasons.

Reactions: UKrazycat2
I’m in a wait and see mode. If they do well in the OOC portion of the schedule, I’ll get some excitement going into league play. But I’m not going into next season with any real expectations.
Nothing wrong with being excited but this is the correct response. I’m cautiously optimistic with the late additions of reeves and Mitchell as they were needed badly, however I won’t begin to get any level of excitement for the season itsrkf until it is already underwear and we have at least 3 games against good competition to see how we respond.

Hopeful yes, excited..no...I'm always hopeful at the beginning of every season but lately that hope has faded quickly so we will see about this years version.

I will always be excited about Kentucky basketball. Each season is my favorite time of year. Even when we had Sheray Thomas and Bobby Perry leading the charge, I'm excited. I do think we'll have a more "fun" style of basketball this year as opposed to the last few years. Obviously, how the year ends is most important, but I'm an enjoy the journey kinda guy too. Very excited to see our CATS in action in the middle of July!

I’m excited for the season and think we can be a good team. The Rafter Rats will definitely try to tell you how to think, though.
I’m probably considered a “Rafter rat”??

I’m still excited because I’m a UK fan. As are most of the “rats”. Justin Edwards is exciting.

People have to stop mistaking realists for “rats” and “trolls”. Some people just call it like they see it.

I’m probably considered a “Rafter rat”??

I’m still excited because I’m a UK fan. As are most of the “rats”. Justin Edwards is exciting.

People have to stop mistaking realists for “rats” and “trolls”. Some people just call it like they see it.

The rats are the ones who try to attack you for having an opinion. Try to act like their opinion means more than the next guys.

I’m dead set in the middle, not too high, not too low.

Sure, Cal has sucked it up the last several years and I personally think it’s time for a change. That doesn’t mean I’m gonna jump on every thread and try to tell people how to think.

It doesn’t matter the topic of discussion, the rats will always make it negative.

Cal still the coach?

Reactions: KFuqua
We have 2 very exciting guards and the elite SF we've always wished for. We've got length and strength inside and returning a really good 3 pt shooter. I cannot wait for basketball season!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT