ADVERTISEMENT

Any Somto updates?

HYTCHYE ISLAND

Blue Chip Prospect
Jan 7, 2013
Anyone hearing of anything after he and Cal were eating at First Watch? I kinda thought more info on his visit would be out there by now? Hoping for the best!

Reactions: UKrazycat2
I checked my source and it told me to STFU....again.
I'll try again later.

kOgqQmV.jpg

If he doesn't commit tomorrow, I suspect chances fade quickly.
With all these Freshman especially lower rated ones like Hart and Burks pushing things back I almost wonder if Cow has them all signed and wants to release day after day after day to make a media splash.

If not and we cant even land them then I'm terrified for the future the program and Cows lost it even more than I thought which would be pretty scary.

We need him in the worst way. We need a post presence, especially defensively.

Onyenso will be okay, but you got to have two post players, especially with a guy so inexperienced in Onyenso.

And Bradshaw is better suited to play the 4, especially in Cal’s system.
Exactly Ugo is not ready to play Oscar type mins. Foul trouble will be scary if we don't get him or another big.

Reactions: evandq and Fox2monk
Somto sounds a bit too good to be true. Impact around the rim might be about it. Not much on shooting , or clever footwork. Holds onto the ball too long, they will come take it. Outlet passes? Hitting the open man on offense? Don’t see it the first year,

Somto sounds a bit too good to be true. Impact around the rim might be about it. Not much on shooting , or clever footwork. Holds onto the ball too long, they will come take it. Outlet passes? Hitting the open man on offense? Don’t see it the first year,
Agreed.

He will definitely not be the focus for our offense. What he will need to do is play defense and clean the boards.

If he can do that and the expected superstars (Edwards, Wagner, Bradshaw, and Dillingham) can put up points, we should be competitive.

But he is not going to be a star, not offensively.

At this point, just getting a 7’0, 250 lbs. athlete is a major win.

We are a little on the desperate side right now.

My sources tell me he is about to commit to any school other thank UK.

Also, I have no sources.

We don’t even have a back-up. It’s pathetic. You’d think there’d be some 3-star big out there who would kill to play for UK. We couldn’t even keep Lance Ware.
I said in another thread it’s starting to look like we might miss Ware this year. That’s the state our bench is in right now.

• Sad
Reactions: ORCAT
Agreed.

He will definitely not be the focus for our offense. What he will need to do is play defense and clean the boards.

If he can do that and the expected superstars (Edwards, Wagner, Bradshaw, and Dillingham) can put up points, we should be competitive.

I think he would be exactly what we need, big body who could rebound. Athletic enough to compete, garbage man for points/lobs/ect, a big who knows his role and can let the wings shine. Not to mention 5 more fouls, because we know the refs will call a ton on us anyway. Any kind of real production over that is gravy in year 1. Ugo isn’t even close to being drafted so he would be a great piece for the 2 of them in year 2 as well.

Agreed.

He’s the guy you throw lobs to.

It’s just Cal’s Island of Mis-fit coached Recruits. They will look good against garbage but struggle with good teams. They will have the AAU mentality about a loss, always another game coming up.
Exactly. It’s going to be about looking the best they can for the NBA guys. Winning will be secondary. Winning is better than losing but how was my stat line?

All freshmen and 2 sophs who barely played?
I would take talented freshman over transfers that can’t make it to the next level every day. There is a reason they are still in school for whatever reason. Now it would help to add quality depth but it is what it is.
Also players out of high schools with winning tradition instead of transfers from some schools that don’t even make the tournament, got to have that winners mentality

Reactions: Dead Cat Bounce
I would take talented freshman over transfers that can’t make it to the next level every day. There is a reason they are still in school for whatever reason. Now it would help to add quality depth but it is what it is.
Also players out of high schools with winning tradition instead of transfers from some schools that don’t even make the tournament, got to have that winners mentality
Well said, talent > experience any day of the week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT