ADVERTISEMENT

Any old guys here remember Rainman's UK message board,

Bret Bearup was a regular back in those days on one of the boards. I can't remember exactly which one but, I wonder if he ever visits this board any?
Zorak and badrose....blasts from the past. Thanks for posting those names. Loving this thread.

Bret was on KSR (Kentucky Sports Report) more than the others, but he snuck around and posted in here and elsewhere too.

I had a great time one night out with Brett, Bo Lanter, and Dan Wetzel. H2 Hummers had just came out and Brett had one. Brett was just a super cool guy and Wetzel was really nice and very smart, he knows KY basketball. Many of you know Bo, and he and Brett told some stories of those 70's UK teams that were hilarious.

Loved Mel, but he was always looking for a way to monetize WF without pissing people off. He was having some financial hardships maintaining the site out of his own pocket along with the health issues.

He and I spoke often. He did care about his members more than any other board and the gatherings were wonderful and made the board an even better community.[

I started on Mel's Wildcat Faithful. It was a great board until Mel's health finally got him.

Reactions: brianpoe
I wasn't around on the Microtek board but I was on the first Wildcatchat. Before that I was a regular on the old CNN/SI board as UKay. Also lurked on the AOL board but don't remember posting there.

I miss him a lot. A lot.

Sometimes your family can be your worse enemy. If only people knew what went down and how, but I digress..

As for Rainman....er.....Buzz Lightyear......
We all knew he thought the world of you. And some DO remember a bit of what went on. But let me try to stick to 'positive posts' before I get banned....:scream:

I wasn't around on the Microtek board but I was on the first Wildcatchat. Before that I was a regular on the old CNN/SI board as UKay. Also lurked on the AOL board but don't remember posting there.
Wildcatchat saved us. Steve got the ball rolling with UK boards when he founded that one. The Microtek board was terrible, but it's all we had at that point.

I was there. Before that on the AOL message boards, and briefly before AOL on the Prodigy boards. The AOL board was fun since there were a lot of females, most of whom still appear once in a while on various forums.

And Dave, Bluclrthru-one or the moderators on the old AOL board on sunday night fell and broke 3 bones in her neck last week. She has to wear a collar for about 30 days IIRC. maybe 60. Send some prayers her way.

Reactions: HICATFAN
Couple of more good ones..Farmer Ned, Zeclore, Eyedrkim, jazyd, jbull, kycat, me-jwedd3840, many others

Reactions: HICATFAN
Couple of more good ones..Farmer Ned, Zeclore, Eyedrkim, jazyd, jbull, kycat, me-jwedd3840, many others

Uh, like ....me Colnel!!! Dang it, I'm so ....lacking....in self image... that I have to call attention to myself... Oh, the horror, the self-loathing experience!!! :flushed:

AlohaCat

There was another UK board that I cant remember the name of. Right around 98 through 2005 or so. Anyone remember any other boards? I cant remember the name, and I was a mod there. lol

The Cats Domain ???? That was it!! lol
I just remembered. It was a really good board and we used to all have get togethers in Lexington. It was funny because people would freak out when we met, and average fans realized just who some people were.

wildcatchat was my first...I thought that board eventually became Kentucky scout...is that true or false?

wildcatchat was my first...I thought that board eventually became Kentucky scout...is that true or false?

Not sure of the ins and outs of the different transitions and moves, but I do know that many of the prominent Wildcatchat posters (and mods and such) are now on the Scout forum.

I started on Mel's Wildcat Faithful. It was a great board until Mel's health finally got him.

Mel was a gentleman and did his very best to offer his posters a fine place to gather and enjoy discussing UK sports. He succeeded, and it brought a many of us a lot of fun.

I wish Rainman still ran the original KSR.

Rainman was a bit before my time. I've been with this board, or its predecessors (cats pause, Kentucky sports report) since about 99.

I started on Wildcatchat in 1999.

Rainman, Keith, Babs...all awful. This place got 1000X better when they split off. JDrum, however, is missed since he went to 247.

Uh, like ....me Colnel!!! Dang it, I'm so ....lacking....in self image... that I have to call attention to myself... Oh, the horror, the self-loathing experience!!! :flushed:

AlohaCat
Yes Jackson you were there too..Sorry, Jerry

its really interesting how far message boards have evolved - or at least the UK ones.

in the beginning, IMO, and I think Rainman made statements as much , the board was there to support UK - which generally meant positive statements. I think he saw the board having some reciprocal agreement with UK athletics, which I personally believe laid the foundation for Matt Jones to launch his career (although I'm sure he never saw it that way at the start).

As the fortunes of UK ebbed and flowed and as more people hopped on the internet, the "support" mentality was challenged - especially between the "free" and "paid" boards that attempted to co-exist.

That gave way to offshoot boards - like the infamous Dynasty Defenders.

Then as Tubby waned in his final years, the heavy handed approach lightened, management changed, boards changed, some stagnated , others disappeared and Matt Jones put a huge dent into the model of making $$$ off "insider" information.

And National Media started keying in on the sites - not for the "rah rah" stuff but specifically for the raw information and discourse. Finally as other media exploded - thru more and more diverse sites along with high speed internet, the forums started including video from multiple sources.

Now few would accept the model Rainman started with as a viable UK board even if some wish for the "good ole days".

Not sure of the ins and outs of the different transitions and moves, but I do know that many of the prominent Wildcatchat posters (and mods and such) are now on the Scout forum.

Many posters came to Scout from wildcatchat, but we started that board new... BigBlueNation.com

I began following internet boards in about 2002 on the old lex Herald UK board which was no holds barred and lots of screaming and insults hurled back and forth. Really kind of silly.
Catfanmaui and I had some real fights and fun.

Finally , an internet friend of mine said " you really like to talk reason and sports too much. You need to join Cats Pause. They have more real sports fans and it is more civil."
Have enjoyed this board.
Lou

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT