ADVERTISEMENT

Any old guys here remember Rainman's UK message board,

dimeforepps

Junior
Gold Member
Jan 3, 2003
I was just thinking about how far boards like these have come in the last 10 years. Rainman, I think his real name was Steve, was from the Seattle area and a huge Cat fan. His board was one of the first UK boards, and was very good, probably because membership was strictly controlled. Just curious about how many are still around from those days.

Reactions: uky8unc5
Steve John. A lot of those folks are on the Kentucky Sports Report message board.

Last edited:
Reactions: dimeforepps
I was on the old Mikrotec (sp) when Rainman came on board in 96 or 97. It was a terrible board, of course, with sports boards and internet to the masses was in it's infancy. However, Steve started his own board and really worked with it to make the premier board for Wildcat fans.

I wonder where Steve is these days.

I was there. Before that on the AOL message boards, and briefly before AOL on the Prodigy boards. The AOL board was fun since there were a lot of females, most of whom still appear once in a while on various forums.

I was on the old Mikrotec (sp) when Rainman came on board in 96 or 97. It was a terrible board, of course, with sports boards and internet to the masses was in it's infancy. However, Steve started his own board and really worked with it to make the premier board for Wildcat fans.

I wonder where Steve is these days.
Lol..I said last 10 years not realizing it has almost been 20 years...damn Im old.

Reactions: GreenRiverCat
I was on there too but think I posted as PacificBlue back in those days. Like some above, I wondered what happened to Rainman, seemed like he ran a very good board and was a major UK fan. I also remember he was from the Seattle area.

I..seem...to...remember...someone...by...that...name...that...had. ..a...board.. I...can...barely...remember...his...name..but..everything...seemed...to...work...when...I...peddled...the...generator...real...fast.
Sometimes...we...had...electricity...when...the...oil...lamps...didn't...work...
Old...guys...like...me...seem...to...remember...they...probably...had...computers...back...then...
I...seem...to...remember...that...my...wife...used...my...money...to...get...blue...dye...for...her...hair...

I...seem...to...remember....

Reactions: kybassfan
I was there. Before that on the AOL message boards, and briefly before AOL on the Prodigy boards. The AOL board was fun since there were a lot of females, most of whom still appear once in a while on various forums.

Used to monitor some of the SEC basketball boards for AOL back in middle to late 90s. I remember Dave Kersey, BluClrThru, DeerEyes, WolfpackRed, EyeDrKim, DoctorJ (Jeffrey Burch) and many others. It was lots of fun back in those days. Also monitored the Women's Olympic Softball events in 1996. They were held in Columbus, Ga. Lots of great pitching and defense.

Count me in. It's pretty cool to know that I was a part of that.
Rainman used a couple of handles. Use to argue with himself. Entertaining back then. Not as many folks online then. He created his own traffic. Colorful bunch. Where have they all gone?

So many older boards. Then little cliques started forming as some as some kids decided they could make BIG MONEY from UK fans by owing a spare computer and a Hayes modem. Banning became a popular past-time by 'Moderators' (who moderated nothing, really) became 'Administrators', who then held little secret meetings followed by 'new rules' posted in the morning. Most have crashed and burned. They always started asking for money by complaining about poor equipment. Then they wanted some form of 'dues' and finally the 'premium' forums developed, where you gave them money or you didn't get in. Of course, the big boys like Compuserve just wanted free material that would attract a paying member (are those groups still around?), same for AOL, Prodigy.

I think the only one that didn't start out as a love for cash and perceived fame was Mel's Wildcatfaithful. He spent every personal penny (and eventually, his life) in his absolute devotion to the UK sports legacy and community. Other board 'chiefs' hated him. None of the 'popular' administrators or moderators around now or in the past could hold a candle to him, or had half his character and integrity. What happened to his work after his death was a true tragedy.

I just loved the old BBS's. Spent hours and hours looking at the green/yellow-orange screen letters.

So many older boards. Then little cliques started forming as some as some kids decided they could make BIG MONEY from UK fans by owing a spare computer and a Hayes modem. Banning became a popular past-time by 'Moderators' (who moderated nothing, really) became 'Administrators', who then held little secret meetings followed by 'new rules' posted in the morning. Most have crashed and burned. They always started asking for money by complaining about poor equipment. Then they wanted some form of 'dues' and finally the 'premium' forums developed, where you gave them money or you didn't get in. Of course, the big boys like Compuserve just wanted free material that would attract a paying member (are those groups still around?), same for AOL, Prodigy.

I think the only one that didn't start out as a love for cash and perceived fame was Mel's Wildcatfaithful. He spent every personal penny (and eventually, his life) in his absolute devotion to the UK sports legacy and community. Other board 'chiefs' hated him. None of the 'popular' administrators or moderators around now or in the past could hold a candle to him, or had half his character and integrity. What happened to his work after his death was a true tragedy.

I just loved the old BBS's. Spent hours and hours looking at the green/yellow-orange screen letters.

I remember Mel and the old Wildcat Faithful board. That used to be my go to board back in the Tubby days. It was far superior to the Rivals board and not as polluted. Ole Mel was from the Atlanta area and always attended the UK game watching events at bars. That was another thing from yesteryear. Unlike today, not all games were televised so going to specific bars that catered to the UK group was a must.

Loved Mel, but he was always looking for a way to monetize WF without pissing people off. He was having some financial hardships maintaining the site out of his own pocket along with the health issues.

He and I spoke often. He did care about his members more than any other board and the gatherings were wonderful and made the board an even better community.

Reactions: bradyjames
I was on the old board with Rainman, CBBN, Darrell, etc. as Blue Haze, then Blue Bart. Most of the old bunch is now on Kentucky Sports Report [Matt Jones stole the initials for his site from there]. It's the only place I ever comment about basketball on, because everyone there is an adult and even keeled. I'm a premium member on Rivals strictly for Rowlands info and the football talk.

Rainman still posts occasionally. Usually only when something really big is going on.

I started out on the old AOL board as well. I believe I went to the Rainman board in 97 and followed it through the transitions to this current site.

Reactions: brianpoe
I was there.

polls_BlueYellowRoadrunner_0634_65958_answer_3_xlarge.gif

I was there, but I mostly just read. My handle was WillyWorm (childhood nickname). I went into depression when that Board ended because it was my lifeline to UK news. Change comes hard when you get old!

was on that one & wasn't there another one wildcat faithful or something like that

AOLers, just got word that BluClearThru broke her neck. She is trying to be positive about it, and if you know her, you know she'll beat it in spades.

Here's a post she made today:

Sunk. That is what my summer is..... In a bizarre turn of events last night, I took a fall and broke my neck. I have three cracks in the uppermost vertebrae and am now in the opening day of weeks weeks and weeks of wearing cervical brace. I predict that I will recover fully. I further predict that I'm going to be bored out of my skull because I can't drive until this is healed. nothing interrupts a nicely developing tan more than a cervical collar. And it's not a good fashion look… I have no idea how to accessorize this. I am lucky to have family to help. Truth: I am a lousy patient and I hate the my normal routine has to be put on the shelf. I'm thinking I will spend this time writing scathing, possibly abusive letters to Roger Goodell. Send stamps! I have a lot of such letters in me just now!

I remember the early boards, as well...Zeke Martins and Katman2000 were familiar characters. I also frequented the wildcat faithful boards for recruiting info...most of the info was great...before Twitter and other social media came along....the LOD crowd and TSFcrowds made it interesting!

Used to monitor some of the SEC basketball boards for AOL back in middle to late 90s. I remember Dave Kersey, BluClrThru, DeerEyes, WolfpackRed, EyeDrKim, DoctorJ (Jeffrey Burch) and many others. It was lots of fun back in those days. Also monitored the Women's Olympic Softball events in 1996. They were held in Columbus, Ga. Lots of great pitching and defense.

Yep, I remember them all as well...fun board!

Hicatfan aka AlohaCat

AOLers, just got word that BluClearThru broke her neck. She is trying to be positive about it, and if you know her, you know she'll beat it in spades.

Here's a post she made today:

Sunk. That is what my summer is..... In a bizarre turn of events last night, I took a fall and broke my neck. I have three cracks in the uppermost vertebrae and am now in the opening day of weeks weeks and weeks of wearing cervical brace. I predict that I will recover fully. I further predict that I'm going to be bored out of my skull because I can't drive until this is healed. nothing interrupts a nicely developing tan more than a cervical collar. And it's not a good fashion look… I have no idea how to accessorize this. I am lucky to have family to help. Truth: I am a lousy patient and I hate the my normal routine has to be put on the shelf. I'm thinking I will spend this time writing scathing, possibly abusive letters to Roger Goodell. Send stamps! I have a lot of such letters in me just now!

I'm sending her a Bedazzling Kit for her cervical brace!!! [roll][laughing][roll]

And she knows that she's in my prayers for a speedy and complete recovery!

AlohaCat

Last edited:
Rainman, Babs, Darrell & Keith. I found that forum in 1997 or 98?

Only Darrell and Keith remain, for whatever reason, as of a good while ago.
A couple of regulars there now, the original KSR, has caused a few pretty good posters to leave because they are ******s. But, they remain.

Mel was a good guy, and truly enjoyed bringing WildcatFaithful to us.

I..seem...to...remember...someone...by...that...name...that...had. ..a...board.. I...can...barely...remember...his...name..but..everything...seemed...to...work...when...I...peddled...the...generator...real...fast.
Sometimes...we...had...electricity...when...the...oil...lamps...didn't...work...
Old...guys...like...me...seem...to...remember...they...probably...had...computers...back...then...
I...seem...to...remember...that...my...wife...used...my...money...to...get...blue...dye...for...her...hair...

I...seem...to...remember....

LOL! I'm up to four mental dots between words now, I think. Seems like I add a dot about every 5 years now.

Rainman used a couple of handles. Use to argue with himself. Entertaining back then. Not as many folks online then. He created his own traffic. Colorful bunch. Where have they all gone?

I was there and remember that as well. I think my name there was KyCat as I used it on multiple Kentucky boards over the years, however that was so early I may have had a different handle. Tried that name here but it was taken.

Reactions: stereonut
I started out on Prodigy's boards very early on. Something like '92 or so. Then migrated over to WildcatFaithful and finally here.

I remember that board. I found it in the spring of 1996 while looking for information on Jamaal Magloire. It feels like it was a seamless path from there to here but I know that isn't so.

It was a fun time, new and everyone really got along. Back then there weren't so many rival posters on, it was probably because the site owners had the power which was good for those who just wanted to talk UK sports.

I used to hold down the night crew with Trey4UK and many others back on the AOL boards. I have no earthly idea of what my screen name was back then. We are talking about 18 or 19 years ago after all.

ADVERTISEMENT