ADVERTISEMENT

All you Cal haters who thought we could fire him and just take our pick

are incredibly naive. This was the question I always had…how are ya gonna replace him? Who is going to recruit top players? What contacts does he have in the states that produce the great players? Even on the NIL, Lexington does not have major companies like many other schools to help support them. This is a great step into reality. You got your wish, Cal is gone. No one wants the job and we are bringing in an unproven coach with little opportunity to retain or bring in 5 star recruits. Great plan. I guess if we make the tournament and make it past the first weekend now everyone will call this a win.
Throw your cal tee shirts in your VW bus and go to Memphis, turn right on I40 west. By the way, there are a few Buc-ees stations on the way you can visit. (And while your at the games don’t expect to see the cheerleads doing splits because they stick to the floor) Nice trip!!!!!

If you offer enough money the players will come. Plenty of reasons to come besides the money BUT if you want the studs you gotta throw cash at them.
Kansas is trying the highest bidder approach right now. The team is not cohesive and made it to the second round. You can’t just throw money at 20yo kids and expect them to work hard. Some will. Some will get arrested in strip clubs. You gotta find the right guys. UCONN has found the new formula. Everyone will try to copy it.

Here's a hot take. Had we played BYU in the tournament this year, I am not sure we'd have won that one either. The only thing that was consistent about the team last year was inconsistency. You really couldn't count on the team being prepared or showing up for any game on the schedule. And then they'd turn around and beat good teams like Tennessee or Auburn or MSU on the road.

are incredibly naive. This was the question I always had…how are ya gonna replace him? Who is going to recruit top players? What contacts does he have in the states that produce the great players? Even on the NIL, Lexington does not have major companies like many other schools to help support them. This is a great step into reality. You got your wish, Cal is gone. No one wants the job and we are bringing in an unproven coach with little opportunity to retain or bring in 5 star recruits. Great plan. I guess if we make the tournament and make it past the first weekend now everyone will call this a win.
You don’t need all top 10 recruits to win. Uk has plenty of big donors for Nil. Chill out and give the new man time and a chance. And most Importantly is all top 10 recruits and MDAA’s do mean squat if you don’t coach them correctly. Cal has not met expectations the last 5 years and he had All that talent.

Reactions: KFuqua
🤣

Pretty sure almost any coach could win ONE game in 4 yrs in the NCAA tournament, and go 1-6 in the last 7 Champions Classic games.

Unfortunately, Calipari has sold a few and once that happens they rarely wake up. If you cannot see the damage Calipari was doing to this program I don’t know what to tell you. If you cannot see that the guy simply cannot coach and can’t anymore get the elite talent he once did I don’t know what to tell you.

How you can see what pope is doing and want to go back to Calipari? There’s nothing to tell you.

It’s an ignorant position that if you haven’t woke up by now I’m afraid you weren’t able to handle his sales ability and you’re finished for now.

Btw, Nike is never going to allow Arkansas to be a premier brand in basketball. Calipari well knows this that’s why he wanted to back and and why he tried to get to Ohio state where it would be easier. He’s stuck there and we all know how this Nike thing works.

If you don’t get any of this I feel bad for you. Kentucky is in a much better place today than it was before Pope. I feel bad for ya, I really do. Hopefully one day you’re able to outthink the box he puts people in.

Pretty sure almost any coach could win ONE game in 4 yrs in the NCAA tournament, and go 1-6 in the last 7 Champions Classic games.
Most are trolls, but there is a segment who have been so warped by Cal they can’t even look at stuff this and realize it was time. This is on top of losing to teams no one had ever heard of before beating UK.

Cal's coaching approach was simple..Bring in top HS recruits, who have never played on the college level and just said, "here's the ball, now go beat your man." Sometimes that works but not as much so now as it did when he came here.

We'll get high level players in this system but it might take a year or so before we are "proven" again in that regard. But even with just very good talent and an actual game plan and system for them to play within, we can win a lot of games. We are UK and will get high level players here, especially so once they get to see the system at work. Pitino did it the same way. Once recruits saw his system, lots of good players wanted to play in his system. Being at UK was gravy and made it that much easier to bring in top talent.

Bottom line, I'd take a great system and good players over great players and no system at all. It's working quite well for that Hurley fella!

JVC left because he was a COWARD and he could "no longer hide himself"!!! All his 5* stars lost Evansville, St. Peter's., three straight at home . He was just an overrated blow hard. THE POPE will be fine and so will KENTUCKY.

Almost any pick would have been better than Cal.

Mark Pope is a great pick.

Being biased is real. I was always supportive of Cal and would have took a bullet for him at one point. I’ve been called Brad, Ellen, Megan, etc more times than anyone probably.

As each day passes, with no bias, I can see damage done by Cal to our program every single year since 2009.

Glad my eyes have opened to the sleaziness of John Calipari. He could win the next 5 championships in a row and I would still be happy he’s gone!

Great 4* pick up for Pope today .Heck yeah.
Totally agree! Looked like a fundamentally-sound BASKETBALL-SKILLED player (rather than the "athletic-freak/fundamentally-weak" guys who often get the 5* treatment).

Looking very much forward to seeing this mature, skilled player progress even more after more than one year in Lexington!

Glad you're on board for that too, @THE_HOOK!

• Love
Reactions: KFuqua and awf
There's not much difference between a 1st round exit under Pope vs Calipari. Except Pope is going to do everything he can to win and we won't have to learn a bunch of new names the next season.
I don't believe that we will see a Pope team "no show" in the tournament. They might not win but it won't be because he didn't have them ready to play........I see hustle in his teams all the while they are on the floor.......our teams the last few years looked brilliant in spurts and they would disappear in spurts also.....

Endeavor to persevere Nancy

Reactions: wildcatwelder
He was not fired, his seat was hot so he got out of dodge first because he was not willing to prioritize winning and knew the posse would be catching up sooner rather than later.

We have not been out of the first round in this decade, no Final Four in nine years with all that talent, and we've creeped up to twelve years between titles but no second weekend for a half decade is why the temperature went up.

No, it is near impossible to replace the first six years of Calipari and fiendishly difficult to do better than the first ten but the last five have been disappointingly pedestrian, at best and other than draft day there maybe a hundred or two that can produce those results or better.

Even then, he still has a huge buyout and the opportunity to change but he didn't want that so he tucked tail and ran to Fayettesville instead so he could keep on keeping a while longer.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
are incredibly naive. This was the question I always had…how are ya gonna replace him? Who is going to recruit top players? What contacts does he have in the states that produce the great players? Even on the NIL, Lexington does not have major companies like many other schools to help support them. This is a great step into reality. You got your wish, Cal is gone. No one wants the job and we are bringing in another

unproven coach with little opportunity to retain or bring in 5 star recruits. Great plan. I guess if we make the tournament and make it past the first weekend now everyone will call this a win.
Hey Brad is this you

Dougie Payne Doctor GIF by Travis

Op I wish you well since I won't get to hear from you again; that's the way the ignore button works.

Would you not call it a win? I for one would cause cal couldn't do it the last 5 years with a more talented roster than 95% of the teams that beat him. He constantly belittled the fan base and valued the number of draft pics over wins. Scoffed at the Sec tournament. Said it didn't matter. I've wanted him gone way longer than most and am glad he is gone. How ever next season shakes out I bet it's better than 9 wins and 16 losses.

If you don't see it yet, you never will. It was time for Cal to go, past time. He did us a huge favor and made his life hell on the processs. Enjoy Arkansas Cal, we've got what we need now

If you can't see this is an upgrade and we have our program back, then idk what to tell you. I guess go pig sooooooey is what you need to learn

Reactions: ukfan1622
No we had to wait for that punk to leave because of the buyout. But yeah since you mention it I sure do wish we could have fired him. Signed the pink slip “Benny.”

Just surprised a coach that did not put the program first was here for so long. No other coach puts himself and a few players above the program.

5 Star Players don't mean jack squat. How many 5 stars did we have here when Calipari was coach? Only 1 championship in his 15 years- The coach underperformed with the talent he had. Cal and the 5 stars were more focused on the NBA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT