ADVERTISEMENT

Adults Rebuilding the Program!!!!

LmdCat

All-American
Jan 8, 2006
It is such a pleasure having adults running the program. The kids are no longer in charge. Exhibit #1 is that Pope didn't allow Osobor to dictate who he recruited and unlike Kal, he didn't overpay. I like the idea that he doesn't appear to be waiting on players to make up their minds before signing someone else. As the old saying goes, you snooze you lose. While the naysayer talk, Pope just keeps right on working, recruiting based on his SYSTEM.

Last edited:
Hard to know if competition or money? Either way, I hate to see someone that talented change. But, no the players can't hold the program hostage or get to start if someone else is playing better. We saw that the past couple seasons and the idea that by the end of the season that "star" given the favoritism would finally play well never happened.

It is such a pleasure having adults running the program. The kids are no longer in charge. Exhibit #1 is that Pope didn't allow Osobor to dictate who he recruited and unlike Kal, he didn't overpay. I like the idea that he doesn't appear to be waiting on players to make up their minds before signing someone else. As the old saying goes, you snooze you lose. While the naysayer talk, Pope just keep right on working, recruiting based on his SYSTEM.
100% agree. If kids want guaranateed spots....go to Arkansas.

It is such a pleasure having adults running the program. The kids are no longer in charge. Exhibit #1 is that Pope didn't allow Osobor to dictate who he recruited and unlike Kal, he didn't overpay. I like the idea that he doesn't appear to be waiting on players to make up their minds before signing someone else. As the old saying goes, you snooze you lose. While the naysayer talk, Pope just keep right on working, recruiting based on his SYSTEM.
Wonderful and uplifting post.

Not necessarily with this group, but going forward we'll have multi-year players who don't transfer after year 1 cause they can't go to NBA. The revolving door got real old, especially when you can't get out of the first round. Looking forward to really getting to know our teams

It’s a new world in college basketball and it’s going to be navigated differently year after year. That goes double for UK changing the culture we have been stuck with for a long time. Idk how many more players you will see going to a single school for 2-3 years much less 4. We all I think will welcome some continuity on the roster and with Cal that wasn’t going to happen. Now that he’s gone it’s an open portal to contend with and high bidders with NIL money. It’s not ideal for fans but hopefully the staff finds the middle ground of 1/2 to 2/3 of a returning roster with a couple top freshmen and a top portal player or two as well. Would be nice to cheer for players year after year again but nobody knows if that going to be possible. With kids like Perry and hopefully in the future Noah maybe we can start building a base.

What will start to happen is a kid will go through the process, Sign with someone and other schools will contact his agent offering more NIL at the last minute. Free agency so to speak. No player is safe

With all of the new rules in place it’s gonna be near impossible for many teams to have a solid bench. You can be a bench player at a big school transfer to a smaller one where u can start and be paid to do it. How many kids do we see now that wait for their chance behind better or older more experienced players? There are rules in place now where u don’t have to wait and if u don’t like the new situation u can try it again.

Not necessarily with this group, but going forward we'll have multi-year players who don't transfer after year 1 cause they can't go to NBA. The revolving door got real old, especially when you can't get out of the first round. Looking forward to really getting to know our teams
I would like to hope kids don’t enter the portal every year now, but as you can see, college basketball is a whole new world. Kids are getting paid and the way they are making money is by being a free agent every year.

recruiting is totally different now. instead of focusing on 5 star high school players coaches now have to recruit the best experienced players in the portal.
the bad part is yearly player turnover will still be a huge negative, much like the one and dones

I would like to hope kids don’t enter the portal every year now, but as you can see, college basketball is a whole new world. Kids are getting paid and the way they are making money is by being a free agent every year.
I think if coaches are honest with players and treat them respectfully players will hang around. Why would a player leave if he is being treat well where he is at? Treating players well equates to providing the things for current players as the commitments coaches make to newly targeted recruits.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jazzycat
You have zero connections and have no idea what really goes on. You’re a pathetic uneducated message board goof running your mouth about shit you know nothi about. As the old saying goes, you’re a complete joke.

LOL at the fake love you frauds are on. If it were real you could say it without including Cal. I can’t stop laughing at how fake you frauds are. It reminds me of Burks last year, dude is gonna need several years to develop and you frauds showed him fake love, your praise of him was really a knock on Justin Edwards
Someone must have turned out the lights because we have a cockroach showing.

• Haha
Reactions: ruppsrunt66
It is such a pleasure having adults running the program. The kids are no longer in charge. Exhibit #1 is that Pope didn't allow Osobor to dictate who he recruited and unlike Kal, he didn't overpay. I like the idea that he doesn't appear to be waiting on players to make up their minds before signing someone else. As the old saying goes, you snooze you lose. While the naysayer talk, Pope just keeps right on working, recruiting based on his SYSTEM.
Yeah I think Pope and company attitude is, yes we're going to recruit you hard and yes we'll find some NIL for those it requires, but we're not going to get in a bidding war or beg someone to be here that doesnt want to be here first and foremost because its Kentucky and you should WANT to be here.

So I think they are not going to get in any bidding wars just to get a guy who's only looking for the money and they are not going to beg guys that dont show them that Kentucky is special to them and not just another school. So I think Pope is perfectly comfortable telling some guys, I wish you the best and lets just part ways. And I think part of why they are comfortable doing that is they are confident in their own abilities to take the next guy and coach them up and make them just as good.

• Love
Reactions: HeelVol and LmdCat
What will start to happen is a kid will go through the process, Sign with someone and other schools will contact his agent offering more NIL at the last minute. Free agency so to speak. No player is safe
Sad, but so very true!

You have zero connections and have no idea what really goes on. You’re a pathetic uneducated message board goof running your mouth about shit you know nothi about. As the old saying goes, you’re a complete joke.

LOL at the fake love you frauds are on. If it were real you could say it without including Cal. I can’t stop laughing at how fake you frauds are. It reminds me of Burks last year, dude is gonna need several years to develop and you frauds showed him fake love, your praise of him was really a knock on Justin Edwards
You have only 3 posts which is one point higher than your IQ.

It’s a new world in college basketball and it’s going to be navigated differently year after year. That goes double for UK changing the culture we have been stuck with for a long time. Idk how many more players you will see going to a single school for 2-3 years much less 4. We all I think will welcome some continuity on the roster and with Cal that wasn’t going to happen. Now that he’s gone it’s an open portal to contend with and high bidders with NIL money. It’s not ideal for fans but hopefully the staff finds the middle ground of 1/2 to 2/3 of a returning roster with a couple top freshmen and a top portal player or two as well. Would be nice to cheer for players year after year again but nobody knows if that going to be possible. With kids like Perry and hopefully in the future Noah maybe we can start building a base.
Yep you have a point there....I was thinking if we get too many grad players they gone next year and we start new again,,,,

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT