ADVERTISEMENT

Adidas is obviously buying Kansas and IU players, where does all this Baylor NIL come from?

ben affleck jesus GIF

One thing I want to see fixed asap, get back into the good graces with Nike. Join the Phil Knight tournament, send some roses, cup the balls if need be... But our relationship with Nike should have never spoiled this much. And now that Cal is gone, time to fix that. Nike should LOVE us for the amount of apparel we sell, compared to some place like Villanova or Oregon.

The various baptist churches have lots and lots and lots of money. It’s hard to pinpoint because there are so many divisions, but they have lots of money. All churches in the US do. The Mormon church is worth $236 billion, if you’re curious.

Reactions: W1LDCAT22
If you add in their medical school, Baylor's endowment is the 7th largest among power programs, so the donors are there. Stanford, Notre Dame, Northwestern, Duke, Vandy and USC are the only schools ahead of them...and those alumni most likely don't care as much about sports as Baylor's do. Texas fandom is crazy.

They’re killing the portal.
Whoever has been buying Indiana players since the Ronald Reagan era deserves a gigantic refund.

No titles in the NCAA or the conference tournament in coming up on 40 years. One trip beyond the Sweet 16 since the year the first Bush left office -- and ZERO attempts past the Sweet 16 in the lifespan of their last three graduating classes. Nine missed tournaments out of the last 15...Keep buying the same players for the Hoosiers, whoever is doing it.

Last edited:
If you add in their medical school, Baylor's endowment is the 7th largest among power programs, so the donors are there. Stanford, Notre Dame, Northwestern, Duke, Vandy and USC are the only schools ahead of them...and those alumni most likely don't care as much about sports as Baylor's do. Texas fandom is crazy.

Funny that Duke and ND make the list. It will be interesting to see how they fare in this new pay-to-play landscape. I think both could do very well if they choose to. Duke and Notre Dame's alumni base, and the sheer amount of 1%' that come from both schools, could buy their teams the best rosters in the nation, for Basketball, Football AND other sports..

Isn't that what Drew negotiated? More NIL money? It figures that he would use it to get a PG that's not a freshman and a new center to replace Dennis and Missi respectively. Rob Wright and Langston Love are the interesting pieces in this. Both are now relegated to the bench and won't get nearly the same PT as before. That's 5 big-time guards on one team.

Baylor boosters offered more than they usually give to get Drew to come back. Dont believe the his wife didnt want to come... He had lunch with that booster for a reason. They'll slow down on the NIL because they are a football school
We all should have known he wasn't coming the moment he posted that picture on Twitter. I mean, come on .... that would have been the ultimate d*ck move by a guy of his character. No chance he was coming.

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL
With the advent of NIL, the limited amount of time I can spend watching college athletics has slid over to FCS football and college wrestling. NIL is obviously involved there as well (the better FCS players transfer up to the FBS level to grab their bag), but I've convinced myself that the ills of NIL are less pronounced in college wrestling and FCS football.

Absent federal legislation there is no way to put the genie back in the bottle. And while the federal courts in my opinion have completely screwed up college athletics, Congress hasn't shown any real interest in getting involved in an effort to fix things. And yes, the NCAA had been asking early on for help from Congress, which fell on deaf ears.

Reactions: KYExtemper
One thing I want to see fixed asap, get back into the good graces with Nike. Join the Phil Knight tournament, send some roses, cup the balls if need be... But our relationship with Nike should have never spoiled this much. And now that Cal is gone, time to fix that. Nike should LOVE us for the amount of apparel we sell, compared to some place like Villanova or Oregon.
Needs to be one of the first things he does once the roster is settled

Coal is coming back the same time as space lasers to stop kids from committing to other schools

Reactions: YardCat
IU fans will shit cinderblocks if they aren’t good next season 😂😂😂 Also, isn’t it crazy how many good players have come out of Stanford lately while they’ve had zero success?

Mark Cuban is big for IU, too.
Not Adidas any more than any other P5 Nike or Adidas School, and my understanding is that Cuban does not prefer to give to NIL; he's a facilities contributor to IU.

The Cook and Simon families are the primary funders of the IU NIL collective budget. Supposedly the budget is about $6 million for this season. It helps that they had some hometown discounts with Galloway, Leal, Newton, Cupps, and probably Goode. That only leaves seven to pay any real money to, and if you believe Goodman's tweet (I know, Goodman, but his daughter works at IU) Ballo gave IU about a $200k discount over what he was offered by other schools.

And yes; completely agree that IU fans (including myself) will shit cinderblocks if we aren't good this season. And we'll be looking for a new coach if that happens.

Reactions: UK90
With the advent of NIL, the limited amount of time I can spend watching college athletics has slid over to FCS football and college wrestling. NIL is obviously involved there as well (the better FCS players transfer up to the FBS level to grab their bag), but I've convinced myself that the ills of NIL are less pronounced in college wrestling and FCS football.

Absent federal legislation there is no way to put the genie back in the bottle. And while the federal courts in my opinion have completely screwed up college athletics, Congress hasn't shown any real interest in getting involved in an effort to fix things. And yes, the NCAA had been asking early on for help from Congress, which fell on deaf ears.
It's really ridiculous to read some statements from members of Congress on this too. Many of those in support of NIL and athletes are basically like "Not our problem! The NCAA needs to fix itself!" even though courts have made that impossible.

Another thing, Kansas now has 5 PGs, so I don’t understand how that’s gonna work. I guess Kugel is more shooting guard and will get his minutes there, but Harris will be the 5th year incumbent as they bring in Mayo and Philon, while also returning an overhyped Elmarcko Jackson. Jackson had apparently shut down transfer rumors, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him as a late portal entry.

The NcAA can ask for all the help they want, but that falls on deaf ears because the NCAA has the worst track record of almost any organization in existence. The NcAA needs to be torn down and build something that works in its place with completely new leadership and people

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT