ADVERTISEMENT

According to MJ on X/Twitter re NIL

Cool, recruits will still have to choose him over coaches they have grown up watching and wanting to play for. I don’t see it happening. Nobody knows who this guy is.
There are very few coaches players grow up wanting to play for. Maybe half a dozen. The coaches name, like the school name, is just what gets you in the front door. After that it is personality, and how the player sees himself fitting in to that coaches playing style and available minutes.

In some fairness, two and a half years ago no one knew who Dan Hurley was unless they grew up in Jersey and heard about his dad. Even then, they won back to back.
Cling to this if you want. If Pope goes 35-31 in his first 2 seasons he’ll be run out of town.

We'll find out soon enough if it is true. The proof will be if we can hit the portal and reel in some players. God knows there is PT to go around.

I don’t believe it.

UK told MJ to play the game and not bash this hire (like he did last night on Twitter space) and they will let him back in the inner circle.

Nobody gave $4 million for the Pope hire, no way
You’re always such a contrarian. Not that I always disagree with you, but you just say everybody and everything is wrong. I don’t see how it’s so unbelievable. There’s donors out there ready to contribute and this is a program hire. This is what people have been asking for.

Guess what: these same donors would've ponied up for Bruce Pearl or Billy Donovan as well.

Stop rationalizing this hire.

I'm not at all convinced that Donovan in 2024 is a better coach, or a better option, than Mark Pope is. He hated recruiting, and he didn't do a whole heck of a lot after cal got to the SEC, One final 4 (which the bracket broke perfectly for them).

Cling to this if you want. If Pope goes 35-31 in his first 2 seasons he’ll be run out of town.
I’m not clinging and won’t be giving him much of a leash, just like I wouldn’t with either of the other coaches in their first year.

If a coach can coach, and with a huge NIL and lively portal, he should at least get us back into the tournament in his first year. Those are my minimum expectations.

Second year we need to be ranked top 10 and feared as a serious contender, both in the SEC and the NCAAT.

You’re always such a contrarian. Not that I always disagree with you, but you just say everybody and everything is wrong. I don’t see how it’s so unbelievable. There’s donors out there ready to contribute and this is a program hire. This is what people have been asking for.
That is because he is a troll. He randomly showed up after UK lost to Wisconsin in 2015, his posting pattern wreaked of a Duke fan, shocker they won the tournment that year.

Has been here ever since with horrible posts. He never has made a positives post about UK.

Our mods are incompetent or he would have been gone years ago.

I think there will be a combination of NIL money coming in to the program from people who stopped supporting Cal as well as folks that had connections to those 90s teams.

Don’t think it’s an excitement of the fan base type NIL, but think there are unique circumstances here where it will still be good. Winning and being a good coach soon will help keep it rolling, if it happens.

Seriously think hiring Pope will go a long way towards keeping Reed Sheppard around for at least one more year.

I really think that was all part of this. I have to believe Mitch got word from the Shep clan, that if Mark Pope is hired, Reed would be good to play for him and play another year.

The Sheppards know Mark Pope very well, this might even be seen as a bit of a favor to Mark.

Reactions: AGEE11
One of the dudes on KSR made a good point that BYU was pretty good in 2020. Pope probably lost a Sweet 16 right there and I honestly forgot about that.

Reactions: GridCats and Davae9
Oates, Hurley, Golden, Lloyd...nobody knew them two years ago. Donovan, been out of college ball for 9 years. Pearl, yeah he's known I guess but he doesn't have much of a good reputation. Not sure where he's going with this.
Yep - you caught my point. Nobody on our list was someone that recruits grew up wanting to play for with the possible exceptions of Drew, Pitino and Pearl. And I think only one of them was a viable candidate.

The rest of the guys are all fairly new and Donovan has been gone for 10 years.

Go look at UConns roster the last few years... Let me know how many 'top recruits' you see. 😆
This board never ceases to amaze me. I’ve seen this from multiple people on here, so not picking on you. Castle was one of the top hs players in the country and all the others were 4 star recruits.

Reactions: Spica Orbit
With that NIL and the potential of a Reed return we will be in good shape next year.

*IF* Reed stays because of Pope, we have the top recruit in America
Reed could be such a portal draw. Played AAU with Bronny James at one point I think. Bronny under Cal here was a non starter, way too much going on there. Bronny isn’t gonna come play for Pope, but he might come to play with Reed. And Bronny under Pope and in Lexington makes him much less of a story, which would be good for Bronny as well. Best thing Bronny can do is understand he needs to stay in college and go to a program where he can develop and play against top talent.

Reactions: AGEE11
Agree be nice to have a coach that actually loves the program and fans instead of making fun of them
Even if the coach loves the program.........there are plenty fools on this board to make fun of.......some of the posters on here are so delusional......

Reactions: Seakat311
It’s hard to tell what’s true regarding the donors given Matt has said every angle so far to cover his bases. Buttttt….

If the donors are going to give him a total of 6-8mil in NIL (I’m guessing that’s every year) then that means two things:

1) the donors believe in Pope. Maybe he wasn’t their first suggestion but they agreed he’d be one they could support.
2) Pope will have the money necessary to construct a competitive roster every year which is not something he had at BYU.

I would be excited about this if Matt Jones had gotten anything right about UK basketball in the last 2 years.

He just said yesterday that donors are pissed. I guess they are so mad they gave us $4 million instead of 5. Dude is an asshat. Not sure why anyone tunes in to this guy.

But didn't Cal have a big grassroots NIL program for UK basketball that he/they rolled out, "LaFamilia" that had garnered like $58,000 in pledge donations in just over a month!?!?!?!?!?!?!
🤔😉🥴😵😁

• Haha
Reactions: FrankUnderwoodX
This board never ceases to amaze me. I’ve seen this from multiple people on here, so not picking on you. Castle was one of the top hs players in the country and all the others were 4 star recruits.

Castle was... One player. The rest of the class?

Please, pick on me if what I said was incorrect, but in this case, it wasn't.

If we wanted to go back to the 2022 class, you'd look even worse so I won't bother. (Hint: Two unranked players and #73.)

So again, how many 'top recruits' did they have? One, maybe two.

Reactions: FrankUnderwoodX
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT