ADVERTISEMENT

A question for the optimists (long post, be warned).

All of the arguments for keeping Cal and for firing him have been made multiple times over the last several weeks. For you and others, the argument for firing him has been going on much longer.

I only speak for this one optimist and I believe that this season is an outlier and I choose to look at Cals body of work as a whole.

I have no reason to believe that we will not be back at the head of the table soon. But, it will not be this year. No one likes this season.

I have been a diehard fan since 1970. I have lived through bad and mediocre seasons many, many times before. Those seasons are always painful and it makes the winter months seem even longer. Of the six coaches I have seen in my lifetime I have only wanted two of those to be let go, Tubby and BCG. I am sticking with Cal. If he decides to move on in the far or near future, I will support the next coach unless I witness laziness (Tubby) or incompetence (BCG).

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Only because we've had teams not put it together until nearly the end of the season. That's my honest answer. Cal talks about "demonstrated performance". Well, that's his. UK has played in 2 title games under him. EFF Wisconsin!

For me it would. I can tolerate a few questionable guys leaving if overall the program is on the verge of Final Fours on a regular basis, which we have been. If there is a mass exodus during a dumpster fire of a year I think that would be a concerning trend.
Standard has become verge of final fours?

OnD will kill UK. I wish cal would go back to team building his UK teams like his old memphis teams. Those teams were badass and died for cal. Now we got guys having camera crews follow them around, as they shoot 17% from 3. Not to mention a player cussing the coach for no PT. UK needs some Deandre Liggins’ and Joey Dorseys.
That was 10-15 years ago. Cal could build a team like that but it will take 2-3 failure years to become legit. The only players that will stay around have to be mediocre. No chance of me making money. Liggins was a bust. He was a 20 year old freshman that wasn't very good.
I loved his defense in 10/11 though.

The one and only point that I agree on cal changing some ways, is recruiting fundamentals. He did in a few classes . Murray was as sound with the ball as you will see. Same for Herro. SGA .
They all went in the top 15 picks, so how do you change this?

That was 10-15 years ago. Cal could build a team like that but it will take 2-3 failure years to become legit. The only players that will stay around have to be mediocre. No chance of me making money. Liggins was a bust. He was a 20 year old freshman that wasn't very good.
I loved his defense in 10/11 though.

The one and only point that I agree on cal changing some ways, is recruiting fundamentals. He did in a few classes . Murray was as sound with the ball as you will see. Same for Herro. SGA .
They all went in the top 15 picks, so how do you change this?
Liggins a bust? lmfao

I think Cal underplays the importance of experience.

For the last five seasons, our best team (2017) had two key four year Seniors in Willis and Hawkins. Since then, we haven’t had a key guy stay 4 years.

Cal also hasn’t used his full complement of scholarships in that time. He has had two extra scholarships available every season.

My advice to Cal would be to use those two extra scholarships to bring in guys that want to stay four years. Local kids (in-state, Ohio, Indiana, Tennessee, etc.) need to be looked at first for these roles. Not West Coast kids who get homesick and decide to go back home.

I’ve said it before, Cal made a mistake not taking Hollingsworth. That kid can play and would have helped us last season as a role player and would be our Senior leader this season.

That is just one example of the type of players we need to complement the OAD types. Just one of these guys every year would build the experience we need.

If he is going to be here long term he needs to think long term instead of thinking year to year.
Cal usually has gaping holes in the roster every year, usually in 2 places. This year we need a 6’8 or 6’ 9, 240 lb power forward that can really play. Thank God we have Mintz this year. Agree with above that he needs to use all schollies

Reactions: RunninRichie
It always has been.
Do u realize uk only made 12 elite 8's from 79-09 . That's 31 years.
Cal has 7 in 10 tournaments. Probably 8 last year.
Our fans misremember

Thank you. At some point in the tournament there’s an inflection point where getting any further is just as much luck (and that could be lucky shots that fall, a few favorable calls, or the bracket breaking in your favor) as it is skill and talent. That point is probably the Elite 8. Look back at any recent champion and you’ll find a few shots here or there where if they didn’t fall would have ended the season.

Reactions: cats#1again
All I've read so far are excuses as to why we are this bad, no one offering up any actual answers other than just "hope."

All I've read so far are excuses as to why we are this bad, no one offering up any actual answers other than just "hope."

There are excuses and then there is acknowledging reality. The reality is a single elimination tournament is by and large a crap shoot. The reality is last year we were in just as good a position going into the tournament as any year under Cal save 2012 and 2015. The reality is even with an undefeated team in 2015 we were lucky to beat ND to even make the Final Four, and then luck broke the other way against Wisconsin with a few bad calls down the stretch.

The reality is UVA needed a miracle to even make the Final Four the year they won it all. Villanova won on a buzzer beater that could have easily missed. Duke won in 2015 due in part to favorable officiating. UNC beat us on a buzzer beater. The reality is it’s extremely rare for a team to win it all with no luck at all.

We’ve been in just as good a position the last few years as almost any other since Cal got here.

Reactions: cats#1again
There are excuses and then there is acknowledging reality. The reality is a single elimination tournament is by and large a crap shoot. The reality is last year we were in just as good a position going into the tournament as any year under Cal save 2012 and 2015. The reality is even with an undefeated team in 2015 we were lucky to beat ND to even make the Final Four, and then luck broke the other way against Wisconsin with a few bad calls down the stretch.

The reality is UVA needed a miracle to even make the Final Four the year they won it all. Villanova won on a buzzer beater that could have easily missed. Duke won in 2015 due in part to favorable officiating. UNC beat us on a buzzer beater. The reality is it’s extremely rare for a team to win it all with no luck at all.

We’ve been in just as good a position the last few years as almost any other since Cal got here.
That specious logic can be applied to any game. My bar isn't Final Four or bust either. We've been playing God awful basketball for awhile.

That specious logic can be applied to any game. My bar isn't Final Four or bust either. We've been playing God awful basketball for awhile.

Of course it can, because success in almost any part of life can be attributed at least a little bit to luck.

Ok, @Son_Of_Saul here is my best shot at explaining why I still think Cal is the right guy. I definitely think it is time for some changes. However, I still think Cal is the best man for the job. Some have stated some good reasons why. Another reason I am still on board is that I have really liked our most recent teams. The PJ and Reid team and last year's team of Quickly and Nick. PJ and Reid's team lost in OT in the E8 trying to beat a good team for the third time that year. Last year's team was amazing from the FT line as an entire team and was a team of vets like most seem to say the want. I believe that team would have made a FF and they went 9-1 in their last 10 and won all their big matchups. I feel like the FT shooting had killed us in big games in the Tourney and this team had everyone nailing FTs which I think would have gotten us over the hump. If they had gotten that chance then the mass exodus and a down year would be a little less miserable. Not much but some.

I also have seen Cal change a little lately. One example is how he has brought in at least one transfer each year in the past 3 years. He also seems to be going after guys that are 4 stars and should stick around 2-3 years. It might take time to change the culture where these guys actually do, but it seems like he is changing some. This year our big transfer isn't panning out so far. If we had Reid Travis or even Sestina instead of Sarr I think we would probably be at least 4-3. Sarr missed 2 baskets in the closing seconds that would have put us ahead and a putback dunk late in the KU game that killed us. I still like the guy and believe he can turn t around, but he has to play tougher and sack up inside.

Lastly, 2020 sucked! Cal's system is amazing to most coaches how he takes a new team of young guys each year and is successful. This year COVID shortened not only UK practice and canceled preseason, but it shortened the growth and seasons of most of our payers their Sr or Jr year in high school. Think about that a guy like Askew got his Jr year in HS shortened and then his summer and start with UK. No wonder the kid started off slow. It doesn't help that our schedule has been veteran team after veteran team. Some see KU and UNC as not as bad losses. I know Richmond doesn't have the name, but that was the second game of the year and they have a lineup of Srs. Also, they are a solid team. At GA Tech for this young team was no cakewalk either. Throw in ND and U6 and it is a solid schedule in a year we are months behind. I am not saying it's ok to lose them all in any year, but it really is the perfect storm this year. This team is the youngest ever of Cal's and you have to expect they would need a bit longer. Then add COVID and the schedule and it's the perfect storm. Even if you don't see Richmond or GA Tech as top opponents they played together last year and beyond and are actually teams. We are still trying to become a team. No excuses for 1-6 tough.

Look it has been miserable and I hate losing. It has made me look at some stuff Cal does and realize he does need to look in the mirror and make some changes. I also was worried when we lost Payne and think that adds to the shit storm. However, so far in 11 years he has only missed the Tourney once, and to be fair that team had the record to make it compared to some but didn't get a shot because we lost our best player to injury. To be fair when we lost Noel we really didn't deserve to be in the Tourney. I know everyone on here says since 2015 we have sucked LOL. I really enjoyed Fox and Co., PJ and Reid, and last year's team. I felt like all 3 were FF level teams. Sometimes you hit a bad stretch and have injuries or a bad game. I know it can't last. Regardless of the situation, we need results here at UK. But I still think Cal is the guy to get us there and if he gets the shot outside of a Pandemic he will deliver. But it is a good chance for him to look at things and make changes and I hope he does.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT