ADVERTISEMENT

A question for the optimists (long post, be warned).

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
(skip to last two paragraphs if you want to get to my main question)

Back in the spring of 2017, we started seeing an abrupt shift in Cal's usual recruiting paradigm. No longer was he stacking his classes with multiple top 10 guys. Even his 2015 class - which consisted of Murray, Skal, Briscoe, Matthews, etc. - featured three players in the top 12 of the RSCI and two who were in the top 10. He was still "getting it done" from a recruiting perspective. It's hard to argue with a coach's methods when he's nabbing guys like Fox, Murray, Bam, and even Skal.

The Fox-Bam-Monk class likewise featured three players in the top 12 of the RSCI. But in the spring of 2017, we witnessed a new approach, one that likely had as much to do with Cal's numerous recruiting defeats for elite players as anything.

UK added RSCI composite ranked #10 Kevin Knox, #13 Jared Vanderbilt, #14 PJ Washington, #18 Nick Richards, #23 Quade Green, #30 SGA, and #72 Jamerl Baker. In addition, he was bringing in Hamidou Diallo from the year before, another player on the fringe top 10 of his respective class a year before.

The popular position at the time was that Calipari was "changing his recruiting methods" to bring in more multi-year players. If you were around on this message board back then, I'm sure you remember the optimistic "let's wait and see" position of Cal's vanguard of defenders. They insisted that we were going to see more guys stick around for longer durations. The days of the one-year Lexington cameo were going to shift to a path of longer retention.

Yet, within two years, only Baker, Washington, and Richards remained, and Baker was soon to transfer. Green had just transferred, and Vanderbilt and Diallo became the first freshmen under Calipari to choose to leave for the 2nd round of the draft over returning for a second year. I remember this is the precise point where Calipari lost some of the fan base, including guys like @brianpoe .

Yet, despite all of this, the Calipari "new paradigm" vanguard was collectively insisting that the system was changing for the better and that the rest of us should be "patient and give it time."

The next season saw more of the same. Keldon Johnson went for late first round money over the option of becoming an All-American as a sophomore and a potential lottery pick. If one draws a hard line at first round money, I guess we can't really fault him. Still, the optimists perked up and drew attention to the fact that UK was returning four players - IQ, Hagans, EJ, and Richards - a record for former five star players returning in the Calipari era. A "new trend" seemed possible, and BBN exhaled for the first time since the summer of 2014, when numerous elite players decided to return to Lexington.

But the "new trend" didn't last. Despite Cal's public advocacy for a possible Quickley return in the spring of 2020, and his somewhat muffled acknowledgement that Hagans and Montgomery were not quite ready for the challenges of the pros, all three players bolted, joining Nick Richards and Tyrese Maxey in another mass exodus. Yet, this one was different. Gone were the days of second tier players following the wave of elite lottery picks like John Wall and Anthony Davis out of the door. This draft was different. Tyrese Maxey was the first Wildcat selected, and didn't hear his name called until the 21st pick. This was a career low mark for Calipari draft picks going all the way back to before 2006, when Cal's last pick went #16 (Rodney Carey). UK heard two more of his players' names called before the night was over, but neither of those names included sophomores Ashton Hagans and EJ Montgomery. They, like other former Wildcats Aaron Harrison, Isaiah Briscoe, Isaac Humphries and Wenyen Gabriel (all sophomores when they likewise left UK), all chose the ambiguous direction of "draft free agency" over a return to UK for the dreaded junior year.

To exacerbate the situation, Calipari had also witnessed the defections of multiple players in recent years, players who were supposed to remain with the program and become veteran "glue guys" down the road. The names come from diverse locations all over the country (and world): Whitney, SKJ, Wynyard, Juzang, Baker, Green, and Matthews. The notion that Calipari had inserted a "new paradigm" was looking like a complete failure. The "new paradigm" recruits weren't staying at UK. Six of them had chosen to leave after their sophomore years and choose the path of not being drafted. Seven others transferred out of the program. Five others chose slots in the second round as opposed to returning for a third year at UK.

Lost in the fog of all of the departures was a resounding reality: player retention - at least at UK - and thereby the "new paradigm" projection, still appeared futile. It didn't matter if the players looked more like DeAndre Liggins and Daniel Orton than they did John Wall and Julius Randle. They were still not going to stay at UK past their sophomore years.

And this is why I devoted a new thread to this issue and this point: is the "new paradigm" even possible under Cal's philosophy?

If it's not, then what hope does our program have? If we can't get elite players, and we can't keep the second and third tier players more than two years, then what, precisely, is anyone basing their optimism on? We've had a sample size of the "new paradigm" since at least 2017, and it looks deeply flawed.

So what exactly do you optimists base your optimism on? Are you anticipating the reemergence of recruiting dominance we experienced from 2009-2015? Alternatively, do you think we'll keep more second-tier players long term? Do you think Cal will employ a third new way? What do you base these projections on?

So what, precisely, is your answer to this current predicament? I've seen many of you point to Cal's record and his prior success, but I have yet to read one post on this board that details how Cal will have success in this new paradigmatic fog of war.

Last edited:
Here's why I still think Cal's the guy to lead the program. Two of the past four years we were a shot away from the Final Four, losing one of those games to the eventual national champion. What is the difference, realistically from a big picture program point of view, between making the final four and losing in the Elite 8 on a buzzer beater?

This year blows, no question about it. But I think it's the perfect storm of crap. In a normal year, with this team and the opponents we've played, we're not 1-6. We're probably a little worse than our usual start, but it wouldn't be something to start panicking about the long term prospects of the program over. I think given Cal's approach over the past five or so years we can still be successful and win titles. Titles and Final Fours are hard to come by, and unless you have a 1996 or 2012 type team, are in part due to things lining up perfectly during the tournament.

Here's why I still think Cal's the guy to lead the program. Two of the past four years we were a shot away from the Final Four, losing one of those games to the eventual national champion. What is the difference, realistically from a big picture program point of view, between making the final four and losing in the Elite 8 on a buzzer beater?

This year blows, no question about it. But I think it's the perfect storm of crap. In a normal year, with this team and the opponents we've played, we're not 1-6. We're probably a little worse than our usual start, but it wouldn't be something to start panicking about the long term prospects of the program over. I think given Cal's approach over the past five or so years we can still be successful and win titles. Titles and Final Fours are hard to come by, and unless you have a 1996 or 2012 type team, are in part due to things lining up perfectly during the tournament.

Thank you for your respectful response. I appreciate it.

OnD will kill UK. I wish cal would go back to team building his UK teams like his old memphis teams. Those teams were badass and died for cal. Now we got guys having camera crews follow them around, as they shoot 17% from 3. Not to mention a player cussing the coach for no PT. UK needs some Deandre Liggins’ and Joey Dorseys.

Factor in a top 15 SOS, coupled with 3 Ls by a combined 7 pts including by just 3 to top 5 KU, I suggest we wait and see how this team performs in Jan. with a favorable schedule forthcoming.

Last edited:
Reactions: Son_Of_Saul

Exactly, 10000% right.

OnD will kill UK. I wish cal would go back to team building his UK teams like his old memphis teams. Those teams were badass and died for cal. Now we got guys having camera crews follow them around, as they shoot 17% from 3. Not to mention a player cussing the coach for no PT. UK needs some Deandre Liggins’ and Joey Dorseys.

I would say Cal probably does need a small tweak. Having a Liggins type guy on every team would be great. One of my favorite moments of the Cal era (if I'm remembering correctly) was when Liggins hit that corner three against UNC in the Elite 8 and Cal gave him a big hug during the timeout.

I think getting some guys like that can be achieved if Cal can end the transferring out after a year. Imagine if we had a junior/senior Charles Matthews or Juzang?

Given the fact a buyout is nearly impossible at this time, the only thing the Fire Calipari nonsense is doing is hurting future recruiting and becoming a self fulfilling prophecy by making recovery more difficult.

Cal is not the guy to get it done simply because his earlier recruiting dominance days are over and will never come back.

Used to be that OADs were viewed as headaches and not worth the trouble. To Cal's credit, he recognized that they were undervalued and made good on it. Unfortunately and as we all know, the success with OADs was in public. Other coaches including coach K saw this happen and since then have been much more aggressive in recruiting OADs. Thus, the current predicament.

There is no turning the clock back.

I would say Cal probably does need a small tweak. Having a Liggins type guy on every team would be great. One of my favorite moments of the Cal era (if I'm remembering correctly) was when Liggins hit that corner three against UNC in the Elite 8 and Cal gave him a big hug during the timeout.

I think getting some guys like that can be achieved if Cal can end the transferring out after a year. Imagine if we had a junior/senior Charles Matthews or Juzang?

Perhaps the most important challenge for Cal going forward will be whether he can convince 2nd and 3rd tier guys to stay in the program.

That means he'll have to push multi-year early on. Will he still be able to land them if he's not tap dancing about the NBA 100% of the time during the recruiting process?

In order to end the transfering out, he has to play those type of guys and he doesn't seem to want to do that over his 5 star NBA draft guys. He's got to do this if he wants to keep players around.

Perhaps the most important challenge for Cal going forward will be whether he can convince 2nd and 3rd tier guys to stay in the program.

That means he'll have to push multi-year early on. Will he still be able to land them if he's not tap dancing about the NBA 100% of the time during the recruiting process?

Just last year we started three sophomores and a junior. All were five stars coming out of high school.

Cal has had plenty of second tier guys come back for a year or two. Seasons like this one - where we have almost no one returning - are a lot closer to the exception than the rule.

Just last year we started three sophomores and a junior. All were five stars coming out of high school.

Cal has had plenty of second tier guys come back for a year or two. Seasons like this one - where we have almost no one returning - are a lot closer to the exception than the rule.

So I take it that you expect most of the current roster to return? Wil it concern you if most of them leave?

Reactions: STL_Cat
So I take it that you expect most of the current roster to return? Wil it concern you if most of them leave?

For me it would. I can tolerate a few questionable guys leaving if overall the program is on the verge of Final Fours on a regular basis, which we have been. If there is a mass exodus during a dumpster fire of a year I think that would be a concerning trend.

I don’t think that’s what I said. I said that Cals had plenty of second tier players come back for sophomore (or more) years. I do think we’ll see that from this years team, even if we don’t technically return “most” of the roster. We didn’t return “most” of the roster from the 2018-19 team, but we still returned several players that ended up being key contributors on a good team in 2019-20. I think that’s what happens with next years team.

if we have a mass exodus again of guys that clearly are not ready (Askew, Ware, etc.), then yes, that would be extremely concerning.

Since 2017, we have had one season wiped out by COVID and a subpar 2018 season.

We have also been within one possession of a final four in both 17 and 19.

So that's why I remain optimistic. Because I feel that had we been to two final fours in the last three years, no one would be saying anything right now. And to me those seasons we lost in the elite 8 aren't a whole heck of different between the final fours in 11 and 14.

We aren't bringing in the same talent as we once did. There's no debate in that. We might never see a team like 2012 and 2015 ever again in the Cal era.

Having said that, we only have to be the best team in a current year. IOW we don't have to be 12 or 15 levels to win titles IMO.

Cal for the most part has had us in the conversation for a title. This was true even in recent seasons.

And that is why I remain optimistic.

Better hope for some great transfers if everyone leaves. For sure Clarke, Brooks, Boston, Sarr, and likely Fletcher and Jackson

I think the formula has always been a few one and dones and a few guys who will stick around. The reality is if you're going to recruit top 10 talent they'll be looking to jump in a year, whether they're attending UK, Duke, Kansas, or UNC (unless they severely underperform).

I think by and large Cal understands that's the makeup that has the most success and that's what he's been trying to do. He got some guys he most likely expected to stick around and be veteran leaders but for whatever reason they transferred out. None of us are inside the heads of these kids, so who knows the exact reason they left. I'm not going to fault an 18 year old kid for getting homesick and wanting to head back to the west coast, if that was the reason (Juzang, Lee). I do think solving the transfer issue fixes whatever issues there are, but at the end of the day you're dealing with maturing young adults who can be unpredictable, so who knows. Did Cal get unlucky with a few he expected to stick around or are there deep seeded issues with his approach with this type of player? I don't think any of us can really say for sure.

If you look at our really good teams they have mostly been on the backs of guys returning a 2nd year along with a good freshman class.

In 15 we had so many we had to platoon.
In 12 Jones and Lamb returning was huge.

This year we are seeing the effects of what happens when no one returns.

The chief difference I'm seeing between many optimists and many pessimists is this: the pessimists think there is already a sufficient enough sample size to declare the system broken. Many optimists, by contrast, seem to think we need more of a sample size.

Some of you seem to view this season as something of a pivotal crossroads. A terrible team with no lottery picks and probably only one first round pick.

If we lose the majority of our roster from this group, when there's no super studs coming in the next class who are guaranteed starting spots and minutes, it appears as though many of you are fair/objective enough to declare the present paradigm completely broken.

That's a fair outlook, and one I can respect. It basically comes down to player retention after this season.

Reactions: ukfan041
The chief difference I'm seeing between many optimists and many pessimists is this: the pessimists think there is already a sufficient enough sample size to declare the system broken. Many optimists, by contrast, seem to think we need more of a sample size.

Yep. This is basically what it boils down to.

The nature of basketball is that a turn around in a season, especially in Calipari’s system, is realistic not optimistic.

You need 7-8 really good players to be Final 4 worthy in college basketball. That’s an absolute possibility next season and beyond next season who knows...

I think our abysmal record leads people to take emotionally driven statements and opinions, but if we are being ultra realistic, regardless of pessimism or optimism, it’s pretty clear to me that what’s best is to keep the ball of fame coach, especially given high buy out. So, that’s that. Conversation is more realistic in 2-3 years if UK has a trend of failure.

Reactions: JoeBolognas

Back in the spring of 2017, we started seeing an abrupt shift in Cal's usual recruiting paradigm. No longer was he stacking his classes with multiple top 10 guys. Even his 2015 class - which consisted of Murray, Skal, Briscoe, Matthews, etc. - featured three players in the top 12 of the RSCI and two who were in the top 10. He was still "getting it done" from a recruiting perspective. It's hard to argue with a coach's methods when he's nabbing guys like Fox, Murray, Bam, and even Skal.

The Fox-Bam-Monk class likewise featured three players in the top 12 of the RSCI. But in the spring of 2017, we witnessed a new approach, one that likely had as much to do with Cal's numerous recruiting defeats for elite players as anything.

UK added RSCI composite ranked #10 Kevin Knox, #13 Jared Vanderbilt, #14 PJ Washington, #18 Nick Richards, #23 Quade Green, #30 SGA, and #72 Jamerl Baker. In addition, he was bringing in Hamidou Diallo from the year before, another player on the fringe top 10 of his respective class a year before.

The popular position at the time was that Calipari was "changing his recruiting methods" to bring in more multi-year players. If you were around on this message board back then, I'm sure you remember the optimistic "let's wait and see" position of Cal's vanguard of defenders. They insisted that we were going to see more guys stick around for longer durations. The days of the one-year Lexington cameo were going to shift to a path of longer retention.

Yet, within two years, only Baker, Washington, and Richards remained, and Baker was soon to transfer. Green had just transferred, and Vanderbilt and Diallo became the first freshmen under Calipari to choose to leave for the 2nd round of the draft over returning for a second year. I remember this is the precise point where Calipari lost some of the fan base, including guys like @brianpoe .

Yet, despite all of this, the Calipari "new paradigm" vanguard was collectively insisting that the system was changing for the better and that the rest of us should be "patient and give it time."

The next season saw more of the same. Keldon Johnson went for late first round money over the option of becoming an All-American as a sophomore and a potential lottery pick. If one draws a hard line at first round money, I guess we can't really fault him. Still, the optimists perked up and drew attention to the fact that UK was returning four players - IQ, Hagans, EJ, and Richards - a record for former five star players returning in the Calipari era. A "new trend" seemed possible, and BBN exhaled for the first time since the summer of 2014, when numerous elite players decided to return to Lexington.

But the "new trend" didn't last. Despite Cal's public advocacy for a possible Quickley return in the spring of 2020, and his somewhat muffled acknowledgement that Hagans and Montgomery were not quite ready for the challenges of the pros, all three players bolted, joining Nick Richards and Tyrese Maxey in another mass exodus. Yet, this one was different. Gone were the days of second tier players following the wave of elite lottery picks like John Wall and Anthony Davis out of the door. This draft was different. Tyrese Maxey was the first Wildcat selected, and didn't hear his name called until the 21st pick. This was a career low mark for Calipari draft picks going all the way back to before 2006, when Cal's last pick went #16 (Rodney Carey). UK heard two more of his players' names called before the night was over, but neither of those names included sophomores Ashton Hagans and EJ Montgomery. They, like other former Wildcats Aaron Harrison, Isaiah Briscoe, Isaac Humphries and Wenyen Gabriel (all sophomores when they likewise left UK), all chose the ambiguous direction of "draft free agency" over a return to UK for the dreaded junior year.

To exacerbate the situation, Calipari had also witnessed the defections of multiple players in recent years, players who were supposed to remain with the program and become veteran "glue guys" down the road. The names come from diverse locations all over the country (and world): Whitney, SKJ, Wynyard, Juzang, Baker, Green, and Matthews. The notion that Calipari had inserted a "new paradigm" was looking like a complete failure. The "new paradigm" recruits weren't staying at UK. Six of them had chosen to leave after their sophomore years and choose the path of not being drafted. Seven others transferred out of the program. Five others chose slots in the second round as opposed to returning for a third year at UK.

Lost in the fog of all of the departures was a resounding reality: player retention - at least at UK - and thereby the "new paradigm" projection, still appeared futile. It didn't matter if the players looked more like DeAndre Liggins and Daniel Orton than they did John Wall and Julius Randle. They were still not going to stay at UK past their sophomore years.

And this is why I devoted a new thread to this issue and this point: is the "new paradigm" even possible under Cal's philosophy?

If it's not, then what hope does our program have? If we can't get elite players, and we can't keep the second and third tier players more than two years, then what, precisely, is anyone basing their optimism on? We've had a sample size of the "new paradigm" since at least 2017, and it looks deeply flawed.

So what exactly do you optimists base your optimism on? Are you anticipating the reemergence of recruiting dominance we experienced from 2009-2015? Alternatively, do you think we'll keep more second-tier players long term? Do you think Cal will employ a third new way? What do you base these projections on?

So what, precisely, is your answer to this current predicament? I've seen many of you point to Cal's record and his prior success, but I have yet to read one post on this board that details how Cal will have success in this new paradigmatic fog of war.
Sos, you're asking them to look to the future for answers, when all they can do is look upon the past to chastise. 2009-2015 ain't walking through that door. You either see it or you don't.

The players coming in know what the recruiting strategy is. They have one year under Cal to demonstrate their abilities. There's no reason for them to stay the second year when they know that Cal will be beholding to the new crop he recruits. Second year in, it's the draft, the D league, or transfer. Their opportunity under Cal is over.

Cal has another crop of recruits to be tested for NBA potential. One season is all you get with Cal's system. He's not going to develop you past that.

I think the formula has always been a few one and dones and a few guys who will stick around. The reality is if you're going to recruit top 10 talent they'll be looking to jump in a year, whether they're attending UK, Duke, Kansas, or UNC (unless they severely underperform).

I think by and large Cal understands that's the makeup that has the most success and that's what he's been trying to do. He got some guys he most likely expected to stick around and be veteran leaders but for whatever reason they transferred out. None of us are inside the heads of these kids, so who knows the exact reason they left. I'm not going to fault an 18 year old kid for getting homesick and wanting to head back to the west coast, if that was the reason (Juzang, Lee). I do think solving the transfer issue fixes whatever issues there are, but at the end of the day you're dealing with maturing young adults who can be unpredictable, so who knows. Did Cal get unlucky with a few he expected to stick around or are there deep seeded issues with his approach with this type of player? I don't think any of us can really say for sure.

The quit recruiting kids from the west coast!

I see a fixable problem. I just wonder if Cal is willing to fix it. The solution is to get guys back and bring guys in that want to be part of the program long term.

The constant turnover kills any chance of building continuity. We need experience to augment the talent. You can’t build experience when everyone expects/is expected to leave before their Junior years.

We need to have 2-3 true Juniors and Seniors and 3-4 Sophs to go with 4-5 newcomers, instead of having 7-8 newcomers with 2-3 Sophs and no Juniors or Seniors (transfers are still newcomers).

It’s seems like a simple fix, but Cal has created a culture of instant gratification and the feeling of failure if you can’t go pro after 1-2 seasons.

Other programs have a mixture of 4 year guys and early entrants. Why can’t UK find that balance? I think that is the key.

Some of you seem to view this season as something of a pivotal crossroads. A terrible team with no lottery picks and probably only one first round pick.

If we lose the majority of our roster from this group, when there's no super studs coming in the next class who are guaranteed starting spots and minutes, it appears as though many of you are fair/objective enough to declare the present paradigm completely broken.

That's a fair outlook, and one I can respect. It basically comes down to player retention after this season.
This is where I’m at currently. Let’s see what shakes out after this year, but I have to be honest, it’s not looking promising. But given the success we’ve had under Cal, he gets the benefit of the doubt from me.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
The nature of basketball is that a turn around in a season, especially in Calipari’s system, is realistic not optimistic.

You need 7-8 really good players to be Final 4 worthy in college basketball. That’s an absolute possibility next season and beyond next season who knows...

I think our abysmal record leads people to take emotionally driven statements and opinions, but if we are being ultra realistic, regardless of pessimism or optimism, it’s pretty clear to me that what’s best is to keep the ball of fame coach, especially given high buy out. So, that’s that. Conversation is more realistic in 2-3 years if UK has a trend of failure.

completey agree. People are taking the awful record this season and acting as if this is just status quo for cal recently. It’s pretty clearly not. Even in his “down swing” - which all great coaches have - he’s been pretty damn successful the last few years.

Don’t let people gaslight you into believing that the last couple seasons have been terrible.

completey agree. People are taking the awful record this season and acting as if this is just status quo for cal recently. It’s pretty clearly not. Even in his “down swing” - which all great coaches have - he’s been pretty damn successful the last few years.

Don’t let people gaslight you into believing that the last couple seasons have been terrible.
I don't think losing to a weak K State is anything but terrible.

I don't think losing to a weak K State is anything but terrible.

Unexpected losses occasionally happen in a single elimination tournament. It doesn’t mean the coach did a terrible job, that it was a terrible season, or that it was a terrible team. The only people who believe that are the ones who only want to conduct a surface level analysis.

Reactions: ukcatz12
Unexpected losses occasionally happen in a single elimination tournament. It doesn’t mean the coach did a terrible job, that it was a terrible season, or that it was a terrible team. The only people who believe that are the ones who only want to conduct a surface level analysis.

That's why the NCAA tournament is the best event in sports. Sometimes we all get to laugh at Duke, Kansas, MSU, or UVA for losing in the first or second round as a 1 or 2 seed, and sometimes we're on the losing end. Stuff happens. It's never an indictment on a program at large.

I think Cal underplays the importance of experience.

For the last five seasons, our best team (2017) had two key four year Seniors in Willis and Hawkins. Since then, we haven’t had a key guy stay 4 years.

Cal also hasn’t used his full complement of scholarships in that time. He has had two extra scholarships available every season.

My advice to Cal would be to use those two extra scholarships to bring in guys that want to stay four years. Local kids (in-state, Ohio, Indiana, Tennessee, etc.) need to be looked at first for these roles. Not West Coast kids who get homesick and decide to go back home.

I’ve said it before, Cal made a mistake not taking Hollingsworth. That kid can play and would have helped us last season as a role player and would be our Senior leader this season.

That is just one example of the type of players we need to complement the OAD types. Just one of these guys every year would build the experience we need.

If he is going to be here long term he needs to think long term instead of thinking year to year.

Son of Saul, I’m not an optimist therefore no need for me to answer your question. But I just wanted to comment and say BRAVO! This post explains all of the reason I am so down on Coach Calipari and the direction of our program. I think the biggest difference between this year and precvious years is Coach Kenny Payne is no longer on the sidelines. Anytime a player talked about their development they always mentioned “KP”.

That's why the NCAA tournament is the best event in sports. Sometimes we all get to laugh at Duke, Kansas, MSU, or UVA for losing in the first or second round as a 1 or 2 seed, and sometimes we're on the losing end. Stuff happens. It's never an indictment on a program at large.

exactly.

Spot on. There is no optimism. This is 4 straight recruiting classes where we don’t land the creme de la creme. He’ll still get good players, but not enough of them for the system he runs. And as you point out, he can’t get that next tier to stick it out. I hope he goes to the NBA.

[/QUO

All of the arguments for keeping Cal and for firing him have been made for several weeks this season. For you and a few others, the argument for firing him has been going on much longer.

I only just speak for this optimist and I believe that this season is an outlier and I choose to look at Cals body of work here as a whole.

I have absolutely no reason to believe that we will not be back at the head of the table soon. But, it will not be this year. No one likes this season.

I have been a diehard fan since 1970 and I have lived through bad and mediocre seasons many , many times before. Those seasons are always painful and it makes the winter months seem even longer. Of the six coaches I have seen in my life time I have only wanted two of those to be let go. Tubby and BCG. I am sticking with Cal. If he decides to move on in the Far or Near future. I will support the next coach unless I witness laziness (Tubby) or incompetence (BCG).

The sample size is skewed because the way last season ended..
We had a big man in Richard's that was taunting hostile crowds on the road in the SEC.
We had guards getting to the basket and drawing contact then hitting their free throws.
I really thought the 2020 Cats were in the mix for a final 4.. We ended the season a top 10 team.
I'm not happy at all with the season but I'm still gonna support Cal.. I may be more critical by seasons end but right now I'm gonna stay positive and pull for the team I've watched my whole life.. Let's get a W tonight! Congrats to Stoops and our Football Team!

The sample size is skewed because the way last season ended..
We had a big man in Richard's that was taunting hostile crowds on the road in the SEC.
We had guards getting to the basket and drawing contact then hitting their free throws.
I really thought the 2020 Cats were in the mix for a final 4.. We ended the season a top 10 team.
I'm not happy at all with the season but I'm still gonna support Cal.. I may be more critical by seasons end but right now I'm gonna stay positive and pull for the team I've watched my whole life.. Let's get a W tonight! Congrats to Stoops and our Football Team!

Yup I think last year we would have made the Final Four and were a favorite for the title. It was all coming together toward the end of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT